• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Who has experience with Progesterone usage in males?

progesterone

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic
⌛⇒ MITOMOUSE has been fully funded!

#1 kadlec

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:28 AM

I do not know anything about progesterone only that it's a more female hormone.
Are there any known benefits for males using progesterone creams?

I only heard of pregnolone but this is something different.

#2 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:07 AM

Progesterone is not a female only hormone, no more than estrogen is, or testosterone being male only. It is a prohormone for the corticosteroids, and might have uses similar to those for other hormones in that family. Any effects in that category are probably better served, however, by more standard corticosteroids.

#3 kadlec

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

Hello,
do you know if progesterone use in men is safe or makes any sense?
I'm asking cause someone told me that using a little bit of progesterone cream can block DHT conversion and protect the prostate and the hair follicles.
I have issues with my receeding hairline even though I suffer from low testosterone! I am worried that if I have to go on TRT my hair issues will be even worse than before. I need a way to block DHT but not finasteride.

#4 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:33 PM

Some people use progesterone cream for hair loss. There is a study somewhere showing it effectively inhibits DHT conversion in the skin. However, from hair loss forums where people have tried this, my impression was that it didn't really help them much, despite the fact that theoretically you would expect it to.

Like any steroid, though, it gets well absorbed systemically through the skin, so you would obviously just use the minimum amount you can get away with to avbid side effects. Since it doesn't really seem to work anyway from user reports, it's hardly worth it IMO.

Minoxidil and ketoconazole shampoo are the two things that have been found to work with negligible systemic effects. The ketoconazole is an anti-androgen that doesn't get absorbed systemically to any significant degree.

Edited by nowayout, 28 March 2014 - 10:38 PM.

#5 Ubiyca

• 24 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:02 AM

I am currently using Ray Peat's Progest-E oil for hair loss.

#6 protoject

• 923 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:51 PM

has anyone used this for anxiety or sleep, i heard it could be used. I barely did any research though. (trying to do that now even tho im sleeping like 4 hrs a night coming off of a specific medicationas well)

#7 hullcrush

• 83 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:00 AM

has anyone used this for anxiety or sleep, i heard it could be used. I barely did any research though. (trying to do that now even tho im sleeping like 4 hrs a night coming off of a specific medicationas well)

I'm assuming it directly agonizes GABA receptors, because I actually got withdrawals. It also is a strong diuretic and natriuretic, so much so that  I have dehydration symptoms immediately and they were difficult to circumvent. Straight up estriol is better for sleep - even though it reduces REM. 

Edited by hullcrush, 15 September 2014 - 07:00 AM.

#8 protoject

• 923 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:30 PM

aw, that sucks. Thats interesting about estriol, though. youve tried that? and yeah I think the progesterone gets converted into allopregnanolone as well which agonizes and probably downregulates receptors. 

i was hoping maybe getting away with a low dose working but after understanding its practically a gaba agonist.... errmm .no.

#9 Justin BoBustinBananaFanaF

• 45 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:14 PM

aw, that sucks. Thats interesting about estriol, though. youve tried that? and yeah I think the progesterone gets converted into allopregnanolone as well which agonizes and probably downregulates receptors. 

i was hoping maybe getting away with a low dose working but after understanding its practically a gaba agonist.... errmm .no.

Not sure if your still interested in progesterone. I take it regularly and it seems to help me sleep. I don't seem to be building up tolerance unlike someother gaba supplements so I'd love to see studies showing that it does (not a criticism but a wish for more knowledge as perhaps I should stop taking this to avoid tolerance).

• like x 1

#10 protoject

• 923 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:45 PM

Not sure if your still interested in progesterone. I take it regularly and it seems to help me sleep. I don't seem to be building up tolerance unlike someother gaba supplements so I'd love to see studies showing that it does (not a criticism but a wish for more knowledge as perhaps I should stop taking this to avoid tolerance).

DId you get any side effects? That's good. Do you keep in touch with doc to check where all your hormone levels are at since progesterone converts into other steroid hormones?

Warning: slightly off topic.  

I personally believe (with caution) based on evidence that i fished for and personal experience,  sodium valproate has definite upregulation of gaba and melatonin receptors (actually, there are a bunch of mechanisms involved, but I'm on my way to work)

the problem is that even a low dose or half a low dose makes me suicidal as fuck the next day and full of rage and depressed thoughts

might experiment with tinier doses like 1/20th of half of a low dose and see if i can manage

Might come back to explain some experiences later

• like x 1

#11 CalumJones

• 10 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:18 AM

Why the fuck would you want to use prolactin? If you have high estrogen it's gonna augment breasts. In either case it will cause you to lactate. People on trenbolone or nandrolone tend to use Caber or Pramipexole (sp?) to keep prolactin in range.

I also think it might be bloating according to some reports.

#12 aribadabar

• 663 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:59 PM

Why the fuck would you want to use prolactin? If you have high estrogen it's gonna augment breasts. In either case it will cause you to lactate. People on trenbolone or nandrolone tend to use Caber or Pramipexole (sp?) to keep prolactin in range.

Progesterone, not prolactin.

As to why - as an aromatase inhibitor.

#13 AntoPax

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 July 2019 - 02:32 PM

It depends by your genes, prolactin can increase breast adipose tissue in someone and pectoral in others. If you think about it, mussels beach in Cali tends to have lots of body builder with big pectoral, that because they training under the sun and high dosage vitamin d increase prolactin.
Male lactation, or lactation out of pregnancy it something I never really believed too much, if it was the case you could give a big brest girl diosgenin and you would end having fresh milk every morning, sounds too good to be true.
It's also involved in specific prefrontal cortex neurogenesis. Usually genius people tends to have high but balanced level of it.

Progesterone don't do much for hair loss, but indeed decrease dht and increase free testosterone levels. It shooting skin and make it more tender but less fragile. Really good for prostate problems, and increased sperm count, it also downregulate imm

#14 AntoPax

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:03 PM

It depends by your genes, prolactin can increase breast adipose tissue in someone and pectoral in others. If you think about it, muscles beach in Cali tends to have lots of body builder with big pectoral, that because they training under the sun and high dosage vitamin d increase prolactin. Look at those early days Arnold titties.
Male lactation, or lactation out of pregnancy it something I never really believed too much, if it was the case you could give a big brest girl diosgenin and you would end having fresh milk every morning, sounds too good to be true.
Still dreaming about it, but for male lactation some others conditions must be present, or Chinese with all the tofu they eat could sell directly proteins isolated from male whey (that's why they are so cheep).
It's also involved in specific prefrontal cortex neurogenesis. Usually genius people tends to have high but balanced level of it.

Progesterone don't do much for hair loss, but indeed decrease dht and increase free testosterone levels. It shooting skin and make it more tender but less fragile. Really good for prostate problems, and increased sperm count, it also downregulate immune system but not as much as cortisone. It makes you smell less, most of male bad smell are from aromatase enzyme.
Estriol it's more for tendons growth, also it's a shooting skin agent but it makes it more fragile because it increase TGF, harder erection with also less DHT, which could sounds strange but if you think about it: fertile female have more estriol, fertile male have more fertile female, fertile male gets estrogen "from" female.
No erection was ever damaged from a girl leaking fertility drops.
Obviously if we are talking about bioidentical hormones, and progesterone/estriol in particular. Progesterone isn't really an estrogen just a pro hormones, estriol it's a small molecules estrogen that it's lighter than estrone and estradiol and decrease the receptors for them.
For everything else it's just a matter of balance.

#15 genX

• 13 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 July 2019 - 07:37 PM

There's a guy - Michael Platt, M.D. (also on Dave Asprey's bulletproof podcast recently, but Dave Asprey seemed a bit skeptical) who claims that he has "cured" patients with tinnitus, fibromyalgia, adhd, autism, adrenal fatigue etc. by administering  bio-identical 5% progesterone cream to reduce excess adrenal production.  He states that the cream administered to skin is not processed by the liver and has a short half-life in the blood of 5-6 minutes because of its propensity to attach to receptor sites.  In contrast oral progesterone is processed by the liver and is converted  to allopregnanolone which causes drowsiness which is why it is administered at night.  This is discussed in his book,  Adrenal Dominance, which I bought on Amazon.  So, clearly the method of administration of progesterone (oral versus dermal)  makes a big difference.   He also indicated that practically one cannot overdose on dermal progesterone which seems a bit strange to me. 

Regarding the earlier comments on GABA, it seems to me that a GABA agonist would enhance the effects of GABA thus promoting sleep. 

#16 AntoPax

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:09 PM

There's a guy - Michael Platt, M.D. (also on Dave Asprey's bulletproof podcast recently, but Dave Asprey seemed a bit skeptical) who claims that he has "cured" patients with tinnitus, fibromyalgia, adhd, autism, adrenal fatigue etc. by administering bio-identical 5% progesterone cream to reduce excess adrenal production. He states that the cream administered to skin is not processed by the liver and has a short half-life in the blood of 5-6 minutes because of its propensity to attach to receptor sites. In contrast oral progesterone is processed by the liver and is converted to allopregnanolone which causes drowsiness which is why it is administered at night. This is discussed in his book, Adrenal Dominance, which I bought on Amazon. So, clearly the method of administration of progesterone (oral versus dermal) makes a big difference. He also indicated that practically one cannot overdose on dermal progesterone which seems a bit strange to me.

Regarding the earlier comments on GABA, it seems to me that a GABA agonist would enhance the effects of GABA thus promoting sleep.

Never tried to od, but I used 2/3 full bottle in short amount of time. Only side effect was that the remarkable effect lasted for about a day,fast acting but even faster benefit withdrawal. For women could be different, more receptors more long lasting impact.
I would love the oral, but in my country it's "illegal" and not studied/approved for human consumption.
You can't take it with estriol or the fatigue brought by the neurogenesis of hippocampal and temporal lobe will increased the glucose consumption form the brain too much, heavy feeling like running in high mountain with low oxigen levels.
Watch out for gaba it's a neurotransmitter that act as a neuroactivity inhibitors.
Thc decrease gaba, increase orexin a, and increase Delta waves deep sleep. It also act as an estrogen modulator,pretty much like maca but way sweeter.
Plus increased cannabinoid receptors.

#17 genX

• 13 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 July 2019 - 04:59 PM

Never tried to od, but I used 2/3 full bottle in short amount of time. Only side effect was that the remarkable effect lasted for about a day,fast acting but even faster benefit withdrawal. For women could be different, more receptors more long lasting impact.
I would love the oral, but in my country it's "illegal" and not studied/approved for human consumption.
You can't take it with estriol or the fatigue brought by the neurogenesis of hippocampal and temporal lobe will increased the glucose consumption form the brain too much, heavy feeling like running in high mountain with low oxigen levels.
Watch out for gaba it's a neurotransmitter that act as a neuroactivity inhibitors.
Thc decrease gaba, increase orexin a, and increase Delta waves deep sleep. It also act as an estrogen modulator,pretty much like maca but way sweeter.
Plus increased cannabinoid receptors.

What was the remarkable effect of 2/3 full bottle of progestrone cream?     How many mg of progesterone did you apply?    Michael Platt recommends around 50 mg I believe.

The idea is to take it daily. 

#18 AntoPax

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:35 PM

What was the remarkable effect of 2/3 full bottle of progestrone cream? How many mg of progesterone did you apply? Michael Platt recommends around 50 mg I believe.
The idea is to take it daily.

Didn't took it all together, I was also dosing it, I meant I took it every day high dosage , I think more than 50mg.
Effects where basically the same previously described. Smooth soft skin, but more elastic, it should decrease TGF I think, a little bit less stressed from the auto immune response system, it reshape very well the legs and butt area, I think it might increase circulating Thymosins levels by decreasin thymus gland size.
also brain damages should be improved a little by it, it should increase synaptic plasticity. Didn't get the breast increase that it's consconsidered a side effects, diosgenin does that.
Visible effects on myself was really poor, but I have so many conditions that it could just be considered as a patch on a bleeding throat.
You never tried it? I will surely suggest it, both to men and women.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: progesterone

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users