• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Chronic stress, anxiety and panic attacks for years - how to heal?

stress chronic anxiety panic attacks ptsd

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 stolpioni

• 114 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

I've had chronic stress/anxiety with panic attacks now for several years. It got better for a while but this year
it's been back (although not as insane as it was before).

I've pretty much dealt with all the psychological stuff already. But even though I know I should feel happy
and anxiety-free, I don't. I'm thinking this has to do with my actual brain/body, and not my mind.

So, any tips on which vitamins/nootropics to take?

A couple of weeks ago I started with:

- Zinc (15mg)
- Magnesium (400mg)
- B-Complex (With Niacin, B12, B6 etc)
- Fish Oil (2-3g per day)
- Vitamin D3 (7500 UI)
- Probiotics

I also do:

- L-Tyrosine (500mg, although it gives my heart palpitations)
- L-Tryptophan (1000mg at night, started a week ago)
- 1 Green Smoothie every day (full of kale, broccoli, cranberries, fruits etc)

What more can I do?

I need to get rid of this chronic stress as I feel like it's depleting me of my life, eating me
from the inside.

I have ordered the following supplements and was thinking of adding them to my daily
routine by next week:

- L-Glutamine
- Bacopa (Brahmi)
- Arjuna
- Ashwaganha
- Piracetam
- Choline

What do you think of that? Anything else I should add?

Also just discovered Tianepedine. Particularly this study was interesting to me:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....cles/PMC357072/

If I were to add Tianepedine into the mix, would it be overkill? Would it interact badly with L-Tryptophan?
(I'm planning on quitting Tryptophan in a couple of weeks when my serotonin levels have been maxed out)

Oh and by the way, I'm in this for the "long haul". I don't want to take anything that makes me feel good in
the moment, and then when I quit, I feel like crap again. I've gone through the past 5 years with some insane
amounts of PTSD and anxiety, and I've never taken a drug to calm me down. So, I can handle feeling shit for
now, but I want to see a change in the future.

Edited by stolpioni, 01 April 2014 - 04:12 PM.

#2 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:22 PM

I would actually look into Metoprolol Succinate (sustained release). Kill your adrenaline (fight/flight response).

IDK about SSRIs/serotonin to know whether or not they are good solutions, so I probably shouldn't be talking much about what is "best". But I think a lot of people with anxiety/panic disorders have mis-programmed flight/flight responses, misperceptions of what is an actual risk and this leads them to overreact. You will be totally flat on it, but maybe that's better than going berserk over nothing.

There is also some data out of Spindler's lab that metoprolol extends lifespan.

Edited by prophets, 01 April 2014 - 04:28 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 stolpioni

• Topic Starter
  • 114 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:26 PM

I would actually look into Metoprolol Succinate (sustained release). Kill your nor-adrenaline (fight/flight response).

IDK about SSRIs/serotonin to know whether or not they are good solutions, so I probably shouldn't be talking much about what is "best". But I think a lot of people with anxiety/panic disorders have mis-programmed flight/flight responses, misperceptions of what is an actual risk and this leads them to overreact. You will be totally flat on it, but maybe that's better than going berserk over nothing.

There is also some data out of Spindler's lab that metoprolol extends lifespan.

Thanks for that, I will look into it.

I don't really want to flatline emotionally though. I can do that by just listening to brainwaves and meditate for hours a day.
I'm an entrepreneur and I work at least 12 hours a day. I need to keep the drive and motivation going at all times, but without
the anxiety.
  • WellResearched x 1

#4 YOLF

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

If you're under 35 you could try oxytocin acetate. I hear phenibut can work good for that too, but I've never tried it.

#5 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:29 AM

If you're up for it, I sincerely recommend trialing a gluten free or completely grain free diet for at least 2 weeks. No cheating as I suspect an immune response to gluten takes about that long to fade.

Worked wonders for me. I recently cheated after years of the diet, and the anxiety/panic came roaring back.

#6 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

Oh, one more note. My first diet was gluten, casein, soy free. Soy is still an issue for me, however, aside from making me fat, I've reintroduced some dairy.

#7 stolpioni

• Topic Starter
  • 114 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm a little afraid of oxytocin as I'm trying to become more of a psychopath, not less.

I will try the gluten stuff, thanks.

#8 YOLF

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:52 PM

Careful, I think you're falling into a trap.

#9 thomasthomas

• 89 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

The problem is that you're taking quite a few drugs already, and now you're adding
to it to create an even bigger stack.

First I would start with the basics:

1. Good diet
2. Fitness regime / running
3. Good sleep
4. Meditation

As for supplements, I take the following for anxiety:

1. Magnesium
2. Phosphotidly Serine
3. Noopept

Also consider:

4. Inositol
5. L-Theanine
6. Picamillon or Phenibut (very cautiously!) if/when you have a panic attack.

Good luck!

#10 stolpioni

• Topic Starter
  • 114 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

Careful, I think you're falling into a trap.

Care to elaborate?

Thomas: Thanks for the tips. I'm actually already meditating (been doing it daily for almost 2 years now).
Are just starting to exercise again (had to quit for 9 months due to passing out while exercising).

Edited by stolpioni, 02 April 2014 - 10:40 PM.

• like x 1

#11 YOLF

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

Trying to become more of a sociopath? Why not become a socialite? That's what you're looking for, not sociopathy. You could have better. There is a clear distinction between the two that is difficult to recognize for the sociopath, but the socialite will see it plain as day. There is no benefit to being a sociopath or being more of a sociopath. A sociopath by definition is someone who wants to be in the social elite but due to some social impairment or another cannot gain entry into the socialite networks.The socialite network is one of mutual acceptance through a lifelong shared experience developed throughout their childhood and stretching through continuity (it's a continuous experience). It's difficult to understand when you think you have to be a sociopath and the word itself is more complex than you might imagine meaning different things in different circumstances. A study that says x increases sociopathic traits, tendencies, or otherwise requires a pre-established assumption on the part of the reader that comes from their continuous shared experience. It can't be readily understood by someone who has suffered from a long and debilitating anxiety. Personally, I began understanding while perfecting a stack a few years ago when I noticed that a handful of supplements and other substances seemed to help me understand things or give me epiphanies. They seemed to increase oxytocin factor (OF). So I took that instead and began a journey to reverse engineer my life and gain a new perspective. Unfortunately long term anxiety causes PTSD and PTSD can lead to having more anxiety depending on how you handle it thus creating a feedback loop.

The trap is a result of the misunderstanding and social experiences that are designed to when misunderstood produce behaviors or thinking conventions that red flag people in terms of social interactions. A person suffering from PTSD or anxiety is most often comorbidly afflicted by blunting or emotional disconnection resulting in unintentional and to them unrecognizable harm or insult to others. The red flagging allows the socialite to respond in a noninflammatory manner that protects both parties from injury/reinjury. Unfortunately the self-preservation of the socio-elite is such that it results in ostracism for the non-socialite.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#12 bzyb

• 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

OP, some thoughts on your stack, because not regularly but in the past I've had some of those symptoms. First off it looks like a good stack and you've done your research.

Maybe try each part individually, and then keep a detailed record of each supplement. Why, for instance for me I was taking magnesium oxide but it didn't do much except work as a laxative, I found magnesium malate had a much better effect. And then good stuff like fish oil/choline/alcar has different effect on people, so if like the fish oil you are using isn't helping, there are alternatives such as krill or mct oil. Experiment with B-complex I heard that it has different effects on people, so might work or might make things worse. As far as dopamine precursor, tyrosine might work or not, other alternatives with similar effect are phenylanine, mucuna, NALT.

For me, many of my problems come from gut issues. My doctor gave me bentl which I dont really like, and pamelor, which he didnt tell me also functions as an antidepressant, but it also didnt make me feel better, so I think I am going to stop all that and change to a doctor who will tell me what they are prescribing me lol. Probiotics is a great idea, but different ones function differently as well. L-glutamine is a great idea for me, that and theanine help to calm me down. Besides that for sleep I am on bright lights/melatonin therapy, which adds a bit of sunshine to the day.

A lot of the herbal stuff works mildly, and is best used when cycle, so Rhodiala Rosea can be added to that list and is fairly safe to take. I tried phenibut worked great the first time, but I am only going to use it either in emergency or once a week, because I've tried benzos before and they made things worse in the long term, so wasnt worth it. A lot of the different racetams will have different effects as well, so can try different ones of those.

That is interesting what you said about emotions. For me sometimes I am a bit too emotional and it gets in the way of my productivity. How does brainwaves and meditation help you? Because it doesnt seem to help me even when I do for many hours, and then again I dont have many hours to do them either. To blunt too many thoughts though, sometimes I take small doses of lithium orotate and it helps slow things down just a bit. If you want to go the medicinal route, beta blockers like propranolol are much safer than benzos/less sides and will stop your physical symptoms at least, but not sure how it reacts with different people, for me I couldn't think as well on it but still keep with me just in case.

Edited by bzyb, 03 April 2014 - 06:09 PM.

#13 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:39 PM

Your stack looks pretty good, but I would also look into Rhodiola and Ashwagandha. Sensible doses of pregnenolone may also be of help. Don't forget that plenty of sleep and regular exercise are critical.
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 Ambrosia

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:51 AM

Your stack looks pretty good, but I would also look into Rhodiola and Ashwagandha. Sensible doses of pregnenolone may also be of help. Don't forget that plenty of sleep and regular exercise are critical.

I'm about to start Ashwagandha, research points to it reducing Cortisol levels by 30% 

It's well known that Chronic Stress accelerates aging, there should be more research in the field of lowering Cortisol levels / stress reduction 

Edited by Ambrosia, 12 March 2019 - 08:52 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stress, chronic, anxiety, panic attacks, ptsd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users