Bison Running From Yellowstone

yellowstone

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:28 AM

http://www.theepocht...-as-an-alert/3/

The Epoch Times posts striking footage from a blogger of Bison running in the street to get away from Yellowstone. The blogger says they might be being chased by poacher but it could be that they are feeling something coming. Another observer thinks they sense something. Also, a quarter of the Yellowstone elks are missing. That could also have other explanations, but they might have left the area for a reason.

. . . on a somewhat related note, lately I am spending more money because something told me I might as well. My mom is too.

I've wondered if I should live in an RV and move from National Park to National Park because I am sensitive to environmental conditions like electromagnetic pollution, noise and chemicals and have not been able to find a place that I belong. Whenever I settle down somewhere for more than a year, problems seem to happen. When I was young, I had a feeling that I should only live somewhere for a year, but that sounded too hard to do. I am middle-aged and cranky now. I need a bathtub and a proper home, so I don't know how I could do that, although living in other likely options seems like a problem too.

I'm waiting to know if there will be a tsunami where I live but they say it will be a very small surge if there is and I'm already out of the inundation zone.

If I was in Yellowstone right now, I would move along to wherever the Buffalo are going, or farther. Weren't no animals caught up on the Asian Tsunami.

Edited by Luminosity, 02 April 2014 - 06:28 AM.

• like x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#2 lemonhead

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

I really want to get an RV and travel around, the only problem is driving the thing. Then you can try places out and when you find a place you like, you stay. I don't know about a solution to the bathtub thing, though.

Green Bank, WV is known for being a good place for electrosensitives, but it's quite far from you. Lots of great national parks, etc. out west; I've been to a bunch of them. Never got any ticks or mosquito bites, just watch out for snakes and scorpions (which I was fortunate to never have had problems with either, but they are there).

#3 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:37 AM

Thanks for thinking about my issues. I recently looked into Green Bank WV a little and I wondered to what degree that would be better or worse for me than being dead. The air looks dark; there's nothing there. I think the people there would have nothing to say to me. Being around other sensitives, especially electro-magnetic ones, hasn't been as helpful as you think. They can be difficult, or reject each other.

The Parks have many things going for them, I'm just not the most campable person. Maybe I'm the least campable person, but I also don't fit into many existing systems that theoretically would help me, like a a hotel or retirement home, due to the sensitivities. Ideally I would live in a hotel or a normal home in a normal nice town or city with all the amenities but that's not happening.

On the Buffalos, a long time Yellowstone observer said it is normal for them to do that. Steven Quayle was on Coast to Coast radio last night and said that. He says he's lived on the edge of the Park for decades. He's normally a doomsday prognosticator so if he says it ain't happening, that is probably right.

Those Buffalos are so cute! I wish you could pet them.

Edited by Luminosity, 03 April 2014 - 05:41 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#4 lemonhead

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

Well, when I win the lottery (ha!) I will set up my RV park/commune and you can try it out. It will probably be out in the boonies some place since I like wilderness. But I'd like to have a central building with a cafeteria, laundry facilities, a library, and a gym. The gym locker room could have bathtubs, maybe even nice jet tubs. People would have to take turns cleaning them, of course.

I used to travel around a lot when I lived in San Diego. Yesterday's weather was warm and dry so it reminded me of the desert in winter/early spring. It was nice. Have you been to New Mexico? There are some towns there that might be the right size for you, not sure about the cost of living, though.

#5 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:28 AM

Your RV park sounds nice.

I used to live in Santa Fe as a child. Go on.

#6 lemonhead

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:48 PM

I didn't spend much time in NM, just drove through. I did have lunch in Albuquerque and then we took the scenic route up through Taos (eventually connecting to HWY 70) and I remembered thinking, so this is why all those rich people live here (Taos). Some of the winter temps are actually a bit cold, but there must be a lot of climatic variation due to the elevation shifts.

My RV park/commune would be based on the principle that you bank volunteer hours so that if you become ill or otherwise infirm you will be taken care of. There would also be a vegetable garden and maybe chickens and a greenhouse. If I spend too much time daydreaming things go sour (this is true of any sort of daydream I have). An otherwise nice person gets drunk and violent, what to do? Are annual flu shots mandatory? Someone does every job half-a$$ed; is it on purpose or are they just clueless?

So maybe I will just go off into the woods by myself and when I can't function the wolves will get me.Beats being in a nursing home wearing a diaper.

#7 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:12 AM

You can also just have the customers pay. I wouldn't be into flu shots.

Albuquerque is having some problems right now. In the seventies there were no rich people in New Mexico. It was very affordable. Everyone had strings of dried chillies on their door and the school took you skiing instead of Physical Education. There were a lot of people living on modest incomes, often Chicanos, as they were called then. Lots of people were middle-class too, as we were, but that wasn't that expensive then. Santa Fe had culture, but wasn't famous or expensive. In the nineties I was surprised to hear it has gotten gentrified. I mean it snows in the winter, there are blizzards, (I think), there's no ocean, no lake, it's not near any other major city. People are so mobile now, they swarm anything. I'm really slow, and age-wise I come just after the baby boom, so they seem to go ahead of me and rise the real estate prices wherever I might have wanted to live. Or that's the way it seems.

Edited by Luminosity, 05 April 2014 - 06:13 AM.

#8 lemonhead

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

Yes, but then they would just be customers. One of the main reasons for doing this would be to create a sense of community and belonging. Also, people who continue to do some work after retirement are supposed to have greater lifespans and healthspans. Presumably this would be meaningful work as people would be taking care of others in a way in which they would like to be cared for if and when they need it. The system would keep costs down; people could come in with as fancy or as simple RVs as they could afford, but the monthly cost of living would be kept very low. Wealthy people could spend their extra cash on travel, rejuvenation therapies, or paying towards getting their head frozen or whatever their thing is. Have you seen the ad on tv about people not saving enough for retirement, the one with people using ribbons to represent their savings and seeing how far (in years) it gets them? Even what they think is optimal isn't enough, and it seems that a lot of people aren't even able to save what they think they need these days.

---

Yes, all the cool places are like that. I should have moved to Seattle when I graduated college, it was right before it became really hip. I thought I would like the weather. I still like cool and rainy, but more and more I appreciate warm and dry. I just went to where I got a job, instead of the other way around. So Cal is not the place to be if you have a driving phobia (I'm over it now, but back then I could not pass the driving test since I could not merge onto the highway). My ex husband drove us out to all the great places like Joshua Tree and Mojave.

I think the land around Taos has to be some of the prettiest I've ever seen. Look at this property, only $5.6 million (that's for 720 acres), an earthly paradise.

Dreaming is free.

#9 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:55 AM

As an imaginary RV park, it should be however you want it to be.

You're right to think of low income retirement options.  That might be a need.  The gov'mint might even think of establishing some colonies in cheaper places to live for the elderly and disabled (even in other countries), or secure accessible trailer parks with amenities, if that is even a real thing.   Or maybe they should just build elderly housing.         

Do you live in NC now?  I thought you said something about living in Washington State?  

I should have moved there in the early eighties too.  I was actually on my way to S.F. on a yacht when I was actually shipwrecked and taken to Washington State by our rescuers.  I had a friend there and hung out with her and her friends.   I really should have moved there, but hindsight is twenty-twenty.  I made the best decision I could at the time.  She had a gay male friend who said I could live on his organic farm and cook in exchange for rent.  I love to cook.  I wish I had taken that.  I turned out to be too sensitive to live in a city or fit into the working world as it is.  I just didn't know it was going to turn out like that and I didn't know that guy. He was straight acting and straight looking. I would have been deep in the country alone with him and I didn't have a car or driver's license and was about nineteen.  Some gay men would opportunistically sleep with women at that time.  Men were always trying to work almost any situation to take advantage of me.  All of this made me very circumspect.  I wish I had tried it.  It was probably how I was supposed to live, but I didn't know.  Thanks, Mom and Dad for not signing my learner's permit cause you were too narcissistic to want to deal with a teenager learning to drive.  Just another thing you left for the FAIRIES AND ANGELS to deal with.  That worked out great.

But I digress.  

Actually 5 million for 720 acres is a bargain compared to where I live.   Sounds like you have some great adventures traveling around.  That was probably a great time to do that.  I used to ride my bike to Youth Hostels in Northern California.    

Edited by Luminosity, 08 April 2014 - 05:58 AM.

#10 lemonhead

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

Yup, I live in NC.  Never lived in Washington state. I was finishing up college in Montreal when I thought of moving there, without a job or knowing anyone there. It seemed backwards to me then, since I thought I should just move to wherever I got a job offer. Now I'd advise young people to move to where they want to be and work odd jobs until they find a job in their field, or that's what I would say if unemployment weren't so high. I guess I really would just advise them to do whatever they can to get by.

That situation with the gay farmer sounds a bit iffy, especially if you  were stuck there with no car,  so you were probably right to pass on that one. But if you'd had a car, you might have found other options. Cars are important, unfortunately.

I traveled a lot with my ex, that was the only good part of the relationship. He liked to drive, but didn't like to camp; we always stayed in motels and ate at restaurants.  I saved a bunch before we got together even though my salary was a bit low. After we got together - no saving, just spending. We also spent a lot of time in the car and not in the places we visited.

Now I don't travel. My husband also doesn't like the idea of camping; he thinks we will get axe murdered in a tent, and he doesn't like to travel anyway.  But he says when he retires we can get an RV :) Maybe there will be fully automated driving technology and reasonably priced biodiesel by then.

You're right about the price per acre being quite reasonable, though I have seen some tracts of land in other places as low as $1,000/acre, but of course, not as nice.

Edited by lemonhead, 08 April 2014 - 11:54 AM.

#11 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:19 AM

Where's the $1,000 an acre?  Is it a good place?  What's good about it?

#12 lemonhead

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

Places like New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, out in the middle of nowhere. Nice, but lots of mosquitoes and black flies.

e.g., $500/ acre, http://www.realtor.c...idKey=172345663

or this one for $208/acre (very pretty but no road frontage and may be prone to flooding)

http://www.landandfa...nd_In_Nb-74187/

There're places in the US that are cheap, too, like Missouri. This property is just over $1,000/acre, but it includes a house:

http://www.landandfa...rough_-1241877/

(possibly flood prone, though).

This one is $1350/acre with highway frontage:

http://www.landandfa...Frontage-611529

Sales taxes are high in Canada and I don't know how much it costs to get hooked up to utilities (but if you want to go 'off grid' I guess that doesn't matter, but then you'd need to dig a well which I think is a few grand).

You gave me an excuse to look at property listings online and now I need to get going and actually do something today.

Edited by lemonhead, 09 April 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#13 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:17 AM

Thanks for that.  

If you find it helpful, I have written these self-expression threads for people to express their feelings:

http://www.longecity...ession-threads/

Edited by Luminosity, 10 April 2014 - 06:15 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#14 lemonhead

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

I'll check them out, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users