• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Vegetarian? What is your rationale?

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

Poll: Which diet best describes yours? (119 member(s) have cast votes)

Which diet best describes yours?

1. Vegan (10 votes [8.62%])

Percentage of vote: 8.62%

2. Vegetarian (19 votes [16.38%])

Percentage of vote: 16.38%

3. Pescetarian (18 votes [15.52%])

Percentage of vote: 15.52%

4. Meat eater (59 votes [50.86%])

Percentage of vote: 50.86%

5. Other (10 votes [8.62%])

Percentage of vote: 8.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Mark Hamalainen

• Topic Starter
  • 564 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:22 PM

Well about not wanting them suffer, hehe do you think a hungry lion or a shark would spare you out?

As you say yourself, our mental capacity is greater. We are capable of making the choice, those animals are not. There is no useful comparison between us.

As for leather, buying it increases demand for leather and profits the leather makers, thus making the killing of animals more profitable than otherwise. On a free market this leads to the growth of the animal killing industry. In other words, not buying leather decreases the beef industries profits and will either increase beef prices, reduce beef production, or both.

#32 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:39 PM

Hmm think about it, everyone, the animals are not demanded for immortality which means they'll die. Dying means oblivion. Does it really matter how or when they die? No, not really No.
It does matter for us how They die and when. I mean we can eat it and we can also not. They will ultimately die, and no memory of it shall remain, do not fear.

Osiris,
but you agree we do this naturally aren't ya?
Well the pitiful for humans due logic is not the same as this. I mean killing another species is like assuring you you are the stronger element on food chain, hence brings us to the same point of survival. Killing humans might decrease it, create lots of enemies, and lack a lot of probably valuable info which animals can't give you.
Our wisdom didn't come for turning against our nature.
Don't tell me "you suppose to be against immortality then", I do have answer for that, oh boy you're gonna ask aren't you.

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#33 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:16 PM

As for leather, buying it increases demand for leather and profits the leather makers, thus making the killing of animals more profitable than otherwise. On a free market this leads to the growth of the animal killing industry. In other words, not buying leather decreases the beef industries profits and will either increase beef prices, reduce beef production, or both.

Very true. My point, totalling unfounded on anything but my hunch, is that beef is the much bigger source of revenue and profit as a raw material (regardless of what processed leather costs), and hence it's a smaller share of the market force that drives demand for beef. Also, beef eaters "rent" beef, in the sense that they pay and pay and pay for more and more beef, whereas leather connoisseurs own, in the sense that they pay once and keep the leather.

So in the balance of things, I think leather purchases for small items like boots and belts and gloves and wrist and neck-collars and underwear are adding little to the plight of cows. On the other hand, leather pants and jackets probably add a fair amount, and a leather interior on a car, or a leather sofa, add quite a bit. All a matter of quantity.

sponsored ad

• Advert

• Lurker

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:39 AM

I think that anyone that enjoys eating meat should visit their local abattoir. Take the whole family and make it a weekend outing. Enjoy the sights, smells and sounds of animals being processed. Be sure to look at the animals eyes as they move towards the point of slaughter. Observe the progress as the body of a once living creature is hacked, torn and dismembered into bloodied glistening portions of flesh. Nothing one does not already know, or perhaps glanced at on television, but a most memorable experience to be present in person as it is happening.

Having been there is person, then at least you can make a more informed decision about eating meat.

#35 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 01:46 AM

Prometheus,

The equivalent of your suggestion would be that every woman who wants an abortion (I believe in abortion BTW) would have to visit the OR and watch the process including all the gory details...the fetal parts being removed.....I could go on.

#36 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:20 AM

Prometheus

Be sure to look at the animals eyes as they move towards the point of slaughter.

...and see a blank stare looking back at you.

What an anthropomorphic perspective. [sfty]

#37 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:39 AM

Jay

A person who eats meat, and who by doing so willingly allows an animal to be slaughtered, DESERVES (emphasis added: DJS) the "label" of meat-eater. Not because he or she eats meat, but because of all that is implied by the fact that they eat meat, including that they are complicit in the killing of animals. I further apply the label of meat-eater because most are complicit in the killing of animals without consideration, in ignorance, so they earn the title not only for their complicity, but for their ignorance. Much like I label people who don't vote, because most do so because of ignorance or apathy. Few people choose not to vote for well-thought out, rational, sound reasons.

Jay, no human on the planet is totally aware of their reality and the consequences of their actions. This is indicative of the limited nature of our consciousness and also why no human can claim to be entirely rational.

There are literally billions of people in the world who's ethics I disagree with vehemently, but this does not mean that I should be compelled to pass judgement on them personally. Instead the focus should be on the validity of their attitudes and world view.

Value judgements should be limited to memes and meme complexes, not people. Once again, this difference in perspective probably boils down to our divergent view points on matters such as FW and moral responsibility.
----------------
From what I've read, the conversation in this thread appears to be primarily in the area of meta-ethics and specifically animal rights. I think this is a good thing as it shows that our community as a whole is concerned about ethical issues and seeks to conduct itself in a morally respectable manner. I do however disagree strongly and will demonstrate the moral righteousness of eating a bacon cheese burger.

#38 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:55 AM

Well about not wanting them suffer, hehe do you think a hungry lion or a shark would spare you out?

Well, as Lord Tennyson lamented (prior to The Origin of Species),

"Who trusted God was love indeed
And love Creation's final law—
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and claw
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed—"

It would be a mistake however to formulate ethical priniciples based on this reality. In fact, it would be a classic mistake known as the Naturalistic Fallacy.

• Lurker

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:34 AM

The equivalent of your suggestion would be that every woman who wants an abortion (I believe in abortion BTW) would have to visit the OR and watch the process including all the gory details...the fetal parts being removed.....I could go on.

Indeed - and I am for a woman to have the final say when it comes to her body. However, not only should the woman (and especially her male partner) who desires such an intervention to take place be cognizant of the "gory details", she should also be aware of just how developed and animated a fetus at that stage of gestation can be. We must take responsibility and be aware of the consequences of our actions. And such an attitude should not be the exclusive domain of meat-eating and abortions, but should include damage to the environment, exploitation of child labour, and indiscriminate credit card use ;) .

#40 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:56 AM

I do not like to use labels. That is just my choice. I feel comfortable not eating meat and that is my choice.

I prefer not to debate the sitaution in most situations because it is usually becomes a tug of war with people defending their arguments. Even in these discussion here I can feel the tension building with people using caps and so on to drive their points home.

WOW. This discussion/debate is just a little tense for me.

[thumb]

#41 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:02 AM

Would it be OK to raise humans, treat them humanely, and then kill them painlessly at full growth for eating?

No, of course not.

There is a difference between a human and an animal, as jaydfox has pointed out, but where do you draw the line. Should we eat dolphins? chimpanzees? What is your criteria for edible/not edible?

My criteria is personhood, or more specifically *self awareness*. The best (and possibly the only) way to discern this type of inherently subjective quality is by taking Dennett’s intentional stance.

The famous “mirror test” is a perfect example of what I mean when I am referring to the intentional stance and an observer’s ability to make an objective assessment of an entity's intentional state based on its behavior in the physical world. Mirror Test

In the overwhelming majority of organisms (99.9999%) self awareness does not exist. The consciousness, if you can call it that at all, consists of varying lesser degrees of intentional response to external stimuli. Simply put, there is nobody home.

In rabbits there is no interocular transfer of learning! That is, if you train a rabbit that a particular shape is a source of danger by demonstrations carefully restricted to its left eye, the rabbit will exhibit no "knowledge" about that shape, no fear or flight behavior, when the menacing shape is presented to its right eye.

Daniel C Dennett

So what is the significance of this? Well, without self awareness there is no agent present. And without an agent present there are no *interests* either. And without interests there are no rights.

The existence of the “phenomenal self”, or the idea that the self is a conceptual subunit embedded within a larger aggregate model of reality, has been proposed by Thomas Metzinger (whom I have only discovered recently, but am presently researching diligently).

If one wishes to understand what phenomenal consciousness actually is, one of the most important explananda will be what Thomas Nagel has called the perspectivalness of consiousness: the fact that experiences always appear to be experiences for an experiencing ego, being bound to a subjective first-person perspective. I will try to sketch a strategy of accomodating the perspectivalness of consciousness within an empirically plausible theory of mental representation. The model of the self differs from every other mental model in an essential point. It possesses a part which is exclusively based on internal input: the part of the body image activated by proprioceptive input. Recent research concerning the pain experienced in phantom limbs seems to point to the existence of a genetically determined neuromatrix whose activation patterns could be the basis of the body image and body feeling. The part of this neural activation pattern which is independent of external input produces a continuous representational basis for the body model of the self and in this way anchors it in the brain. In almost all situations when there is phenomenal consciousness at all, there also exists this unspecific, internal source of input. It is the most `certain' and stable region within the model of the self. In this way our consciousness becomes a centred consciousness. However, in order for the functional/representational property of centredness to become the phenomenal property of perspectivalness, the model of the system must become a phenomenal self. The pivotal question is: How does that which we commonly call the phenomenal first-person perspective emerge in a centred representational space? A first person perspective -- I would suggest -- emerges if the system no longer recognizes the model of the self which it itself activated as a model. If it did, representational and functional centredness would remain, but the global phenomenal property of perspectivalness would disappear. In short: the system would have a self model, but no phenomenal self. The representational correlate -- the self model -- is a functional module, episodically activated by the system in order to regulate its interaction with the environment. As we know from cybernetics, every good regulator of a complex system automatically has to be a model of the system. If one assumes a PDP-inspired teleofunctionalism, then this model of the system appears as a kind of organ which emerges through the binding of a certain set of microfunctional properties and enables the system to represent itself in its environment to itself. So the self model is a transient computational module, possessing a long biological history: It is a weapon, which was developed in the course of a `cognitive arms race' (Clark). A real phenomenal self however, only emerges if the system confuses itself with the internal model of itself which it itself has generated. Since the processuality of the objective process of self-modelling is not represented on the level of content the representational model of the system also possesses an aspect of presence in every individual psychological moment. The activation of an opaque self model is the most important necessary (but not sufficient) condition for the instantiation of what philosophers like to call the `first person perspective': while activating a special type of representational object, the system gets caught in a naive realistic self misunderstanding and in this way generates a phenomenal subject.

Of course, the argument I am making pertains specifically to abstract conceptualizations such as the value of one’s life… or the fact that one has a life to begin with.

The actual experience of pain is a different story all together. Through the intentional stance we can see that virtually all organisms (by their actions) show an *interest* in avoiding what humans percieve as painful stimuli (my odd choice of word will make sense later in the post). If an organism has an interest in avoiding what humans perceive as painful stimuli, then one could say that they also have a right to avoid such stimuli. Hence, generally speaking, organisms have a right to exist in an environment free of what humans would consider to be painful stimuli.

Thus, if cattle are allowed to graze on open pastures for most of their lives, and finally meet their end at a slaughter house by being swiftly decapitated…well, it is hard to see how this is really infringing on their rights, considering that their death is considerably less painful than that of most animals which die naturally in the wild.

But I would like to go even further now and dispute the widely accepted and deceptively “self evident” notion that animals truly *experience* pain and suffering in the way that humans and other self aware organisms experience it.

Coincidentally, the idea that animals *experience* reality in a manner similar to humans is directly attributable to Dennett’s methodological evaluation via the intentional stance.

So on what grounds could one dispute this line of reasoning on? Interestingly, I just found an article which I believe is particularly relevant to this discussion.

So that's what I'm working on now. And what I'm now thinking — though it certainly needs further work — is basically that the point of there being a phenomenally rich subjective present is that it provides a new domain for selfhood. Gottlob Frege, the great logician of the early 20th century, made the obvious but crucial observation that a first-person subject has to be the subject of something. In which case we can ask, what kind of something is up to doing the job? What kind of thing is of sufficient metaphysical weight to supply the experiential substrate of a self — or, at any rate, a self worth having? And the answer I'd now suggest is: nothing less than phenomenal experience — phenomenal experience with its intrinsic depth and richness, with its qualities of seeming to be more than any physical thing could be.

Phenomenal experience, surely, can and does provide the basis for creating a self worth having. And just see what becomes possible — even natural — once this new self is in place! As subjects of something so mysterious and strange, we humans gain new confidence and interest in our own survival, a new interest in other people too. We begin to be interested in the future, in immortality, and in all sorts of issues to do with co-consciousness and how far consciousness extends around us.

This feeds right back to our biological fitness in both obvious and subtle ways. It makes us more lively, more fascinating and more fascinated, more determined to pursue lives wherever they will take us. In short, more like the amazing piece of work that humans are. Lord Byron said that "the great object of life is sensation — to feel that we exist, even though in pain." That's the raw end of it. But, at a more reflective level, what keeps us going, gives us courage, makes us aim high for ourselves and our children is the feeling that as human selves we have something very special to preserve.

None of this would have happened if it weren't for those sensory circuits in the brain developing their special self-resonance — a development that was pushed along by natural selection for metaphysics. As I once put it (imitating a famous passage of Rousseau): "The first animal who, having enclosed a bit of the world's substance within his skin, said 'This is me' was perhaps the true founder of individualized life. But it was the first animal who, having enclosed a bit of time within his brain, said 'This is my present' who was the true founder of subjective being."

Nicholas Humphrey LINK

If what Humphrey is saying is correct and subjective experience succeeded (or coevolved with) the evolution of selfhood then the implication would be that all organisms that do not demonstrate self awareness also do not possess subjective experience. Indeed, such organisms may appear to be experiencing pain, but this would be attributing subjective experiences which do not in fact exist.

I am using the ideas put forward by Humphrey to show that some of the base line assumptions in this conversation are not necessarily correct. Naturally his hypothesis is entirely speculative which is why I believe the default position when it comes to the ethical treatment of animals is a mimization of painful stimuli.

As a side note, most animals that demonstrate self awareness are not ones that I would ever consume. The exception to this would be octopus, an extremely intelligent invertebrate which also happens to be an Italian delicacy. After thoroughly analyzing this issue I will make sure that I never again consume this creature.

Edited by DonSpanton, 01 July 2005 - 08:17 AM.

#42 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:43 AM

if you train a rabbit that a particular shape is a source of danger by demonstrations carefully restricted to its left eye, the rabbit will exhibit no "knowledge" about that shape, no fear or flight behavior, when the menacing shape is presented to its right eye.

Fascinating. I always thought you could play such tricks only on insects. I'm not decided on whether I want to buy any of the ethics you seem to derive from this, but I'd be very interested in similar references in mammals. Do you have any at hand?

• Lurker

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:57 AM

The consciousness, if you can call it that at all, consists of varying lesser degrees of intentional response to external stimuli. Simply put, there is nobody home.

Your statement reads well but is nevertheless an assumption. The reality is we do not know yet just how much animals are able to experience and process their environment from a consiousness perspective. Do you have or have you ever had a pet animal, Don? Surely if you have had one, say a dog, you must have been able to observe that there are some parallels between you and it in the way it is able to relate to the world. Have you observed, for example, that a dog can appear to be displaying emotions? (my partner and daughter would say that our dog has emotions but as a scientist unless I can empirically prove it I must say "appear") These emotions appear to include joy, sadness, fear, anger, etc.

I cannot discount that such basic emotions (which seem to define our very humanity) are shared between humans, primates and some of the non-primate mammalian species. Furthermore we still struggle with a definition of consciousness which makes it even more difficult to make such comparisons.

#44 emerson

• 332 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:34 AM

Fascinating. I always thought you could play such tricks only on insects. I'm not decided on whether I want to buy any of the ethics you seem to derive from this, but I'd be very interested in similar references in mammals. Do you have any at hand?

It's been quite a while since I read it, but I recall "Phantoms in the Brain : Probing the Mysteries of the Human Mind by V. S. Ramachandran" studied a number of similar quirks in humans. Again, a night of too much drink and not enough sleep seems to have robbed me of some memory at the moment. But I believe that the author touched on a number of similar topics in some lectures he gave for the BBC in 2003. They should be available in real format over here.

#45 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:03 PM

Hehe, this was just pointed out to me in another discussion in which I and several others were the target of someone criticizing calorie restriction:
http://beyondveg.com...itudes-1a.shtml

D Y S F U N C T I O N A L  A T T I T U D E S

Lunch-Righteousness

Lunch-righteousness is a delusion--a false sense of individual superiority (self-righteousness) that is based on the quality/type of one's diet (their lunch) versus the quality/type of others' diets. That is, one has a "better" diet than others, hence one believes the delusion that he or she is "superior" to others.

Typical Examples:

An ethical vegan who believes that he or she is "more compassionate" than a meat-eater.

A puritanical raw-fooder who believes that he or she is "purer" than those "poor souls" who eat "dead" (cooked) food.

Extreme Example:

Raw-food zealots who engage in some of the following behaviors: hostility, threatening others, plagiarism, intellectual dishonesty, and/or promoting the dietary equivalent of racism, because they are under the delusion that their 100%-raw vegan diet makes them "superior," and the ends justify their negative means.

It should be mentioned here that some raw zealots promote lunch-righteousness by actively spreading the false myth that a 100%-raw vegan diet makes one "superior" to those who eat cooked foods. Not only is this false, but it is a form of bigotry.

In her book, To Eat Flesh They Are Willing, Are Their Spirits Weak? (1996, Pythagorean Publishers), philosopher Kristin Aaronson nicely summarizes the moral trap of dietary self-righteousness (p. 18):

No one who feels morally superior ever is, for the simple reason that [self] righteousness is itself a moral taint. We may feel better, feeling that we are better; but the better we feel we are than others, the worse--and worse off--we will be. We can be corrupted by a good thing, by too much of a good thing, by taking a good thing much too seriously.

Note: material in brackets above [ ] is my own explanatory note.

(Note: the note above is the author's not mine)

#46 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:37 PM

This is a personal perspective. And one of the unsatisfactory tibits, where I won't come back to defend or substantiate. Apologies.

1) I usually don't eat any animal meat unless I get to kill it myself. This is grounded in virtue aesthetics – ("what do my choices say about me aesthetically") as opposed to a moral conviction.

2) Thus, for all my agreements with Singer, I don't think vegetarianism is morally sustainable, but I believe that never having considered the issue seriously is immoral.

3) Having been to a meat procurring plant, I can report that many animals display a remarkably good effigy of human-like terror and despair, especially in much of the US where stunning is rubbish.

4) From a futurist perspective, meat eating is probably not sustainable. As civilization progresses, meat will likely be produced in fleshvats and via fungal and phyto-protein engineering, with "real" meat reserved as a somewhat exotic (and in some countries illegal) luxury.

5) As an experiment, I'd be interested to hear how many meat eaters can easily distinguish Quorn from chicken breast. Please report test results.

6) There is good evidence that vegetarians have longer lifespans and better health parameters.

7) Of course animals should be visisected for research. However, as John affirms, much research is done or drafted so badly that the killing is rendered futile. Also, pre-dissection conditions are important. Its no wonder that the Methusalem Mouse was simply reared in an nice environment. That is also why much CR research is/used to be severly flawed. Bad animal husbandry makes bad science.

8) eight!

#47 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:01 PM

After all plans also get harmed, they are also organisms it is just that their "consciousness" is way far than humans, actually isn't at all probably, that's why we feel no guilty for them.
I should open an association of protecting the vegetables hehe.

5) As an experiment, I'd be interested to hear how many meat eaters can easily distinguish Quorn from chicken breast. Please report test results.

LOL I personally talk of Meat, not peanuts [lol]

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#48 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:27 PM

John

Oh, there's tons of them. Just punch in *interocular tranfer of learning* to google and you'll get a lot of good results. I actually remember researching this topic a few years ago because of my family's long history with training race horses. (There was, for a long time, a controversy over whether or not horses possessed interocular learning capabilities).

From what I've seen, most behavioral studies are aimed at reaching conclusion about the learning and imprinting strategies of various species. This is interesting, but not particularly relevant to the point I am attempting to make. You see, based on different conditioning strategies, animals can be made to develop a wide range of species specific *maximum transfer* capabilities that would not be found normally in nature. I would argue that this is indicative of a ubiquitous trait amongst biological cybernetic systems for extreme *plasticity*.

But getting back to interocular transfer's relationship to my evaluation of animal rights, the important point that I am trying to make is that ALL self aware species demonstrate TOTAL interocular transfer. Therefore, interocular transfer rates that are less than 100% can be interpreted as evidence that there is no "central self" havesting sensory data and integrating it into a unified conceptual reality.

#49 Mark Hamalainen

• Topic Starter
  • 564 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:53 PM

ALL self aware species demonstrate TOTAL interocular transfer

There is no way to test for self-awareness, just as I can only assume that you are self-aware due to your similarity to me (biochemically not philisophically ;) ).

#50 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:08 PM

Osiris

There is no way to test for self-awareness, just as I can only assume that you are self-aware due to your similarity to me (biochemically not philisophically ;) ).

No Osiris, you are missing my point regarding Dennett's intentional stance, which is an objective evaluation of behavioral characteristics. There most certainly are established ways to test for self awareness and demonstrate beyond a reasonable doubt that an organism is self aware.

As I've said numerous times before, when it comes to epistemology there is no such thing as 100% certainty. However, by requiring an impossible (and unreasonable) level of *confidence* in the desputed proposition you are actually violating one of the most basic principles of Bayesian reasoning. Establishing a conclusion based on a 90 or 99.999% level of confidence is not an assumption, but a justified position based on the available evidence.

#51 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:13 PM

Hehe , Don I wanted to comment the 100% thing, but I was thinking I am spamming to much lately... Posted Image
Well, I can see there's no point hehe Posted Image

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#52 Mark Hamalainen

• Topic Starter
  • 564 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:39 PM

an objective evaluation of behavioral characteristics

Behavior is measured yes, self-awareness is not. It is possible that animals could be incredibly stupid, but self-aware. Conversely, some intelligent primates may not be self-aware even though their behavior is relatively complex. You are attempting to make a direct connection between behavior and self-awareness, a phenomenon for which we have no scientific explanation as of yet.

#53 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:45 PM

It could be that the half of the brain associated with each eye is self aware ;))

#54 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:49 PM

I don't think the quality of "self awareness" is terribly difficult to achieve, even if most animals don't bother to think about it.

I also think the mirror test is inherently flawed. Not being able to recognize one's reflection as one's self is just stupidity, it doesn't demonstrate lack of self awareness.

#55 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:20 PM

Yeah, and continually referring back to Dennett, when several people on ImmInst have expressed criticisms of him (and I personally don't agree with him, but since I haven't read his book, nor any of his critics save Chalmers, I admit ignorance and bias for the moment), doesn't really help your stance, Don.

#56 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:50 PM

Jay, if you want to debate the issues then please, be my guest. However, if all you wish to do is offer up pointless opinion statements then please put a sock in it. [tung]

There's nothing wrong with repeatedly referring back to Dennett, especially since the position I am espousing is based on a philosophical stance originated by him. *Aduh* [huh] --- And just because certain members of ImmInst disagree with him doesn't mean chicken squat to me. As it is, the Libertarian flavor of this Institute sometimes makes me doubt its rationality.

Boy, this is getting fun. [lol]

#57 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:27 PM

The reason I pointed out your repeated references of Dennett is that you speak of near absolutes based on the opinions of one man, in an age when we understand so little about consciousness and self-awareness. He's the local witch-doctor, and you're regarding him as a respected, educated M.D. Give us 20-50 years, and then we might have enough knowledge to say with some strong objectiveness whether animals, especially mammals, and especially primates, are self-aware. Intelligence and mind-skills are not the same as self-awareness, and as Elrond pointed out, the mirror test is flawed in that some animals are just stupid. Smart in some ways, but maybe just stupid in that way.

For now, as many have pointed out, animals display varying levels of intelligence and mental skills, and even things that resemble emotions. We can't know for sure yet, so we kinda rely on a sliding scale based on complexity, and cows rank quite a bit higher than chickens, which was my original point.

We don't know enough yet to be making definitive "objective" judgements about animals, based on silly, one-dimensional tests, so Dennett's intentionalism thing-a-ma-bob is cute and all, but I think you're treading on thin philosophical ice.

#58 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:43 PM

Hmm, I suppose we can take Dennett to the philophy forum, if we wish to continue the philosophical debate about bovine consciousness. My main point was that it's a strong and valid (for now) concern for some people, and most people in the general public don't give the matter serious consideration, which is why I said they earned or deserved their labels.

As for those who, like Don, have thought the philosophical question through and arrived at a different conclusion that I, I can respect their choices (if Don even chooses to eat meat, I don't remember and don't particularly feel like looking back) to eat meat. Like Elrond, whom I disagree with about sport killing, I can at least respect him for having faced the issue. I can respect Don for having faced the issue. It's the ignorant people that I have a problem with.

But it's not like it bothers me all the time, day in and day out. Until this poll was brought up, I didn't really think about it too much, just occassionally, and mostly when viewing my own personal use of meat, which I ignored for far too long (and admit I deserved a label).

Perhaps to the same degree that the people I label "meat eaters" (when I suppose I should be labelling them "ignorant animal co-slaughterers") are ignorant, I too was ignorant, of the need to address the issue. Of course, I'm not going to spend too much more time on the issue, since it distracts from other pursuits towards longevity.

#59 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:04 AM

By the way, when I say witch-doctor, I mean it with the deepest of respect. Most witch doctors would probably save more lives if we had a "first aid" contest, for maladies ranging from the mundane to the bizarre. But they still don't know why what they're doing works. Of course, you could say the same about today's M.D.'s, but I don't think they're in quite the same league.

#60 emerson

• 332 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:46 AM

the important point that I am trying to make is that ALL self aware species demonstrate TOTAL interocular transfer.  Therefore, interocular transfer rates that are less than 100% can be interpreted as evidence that there is no "central self" havesting sensory data and integrating it into a unified conceptual reality.

This is my first time, that I recall at least, hearing the term interocular transfer. Sadly, there's no time at the moment to properly look into it. So, hopefully you'll forgive me if I'm not grasping some of the finer points. That said, it sounds pretty similar to split-brain syndrome in humans. And, aside from that bit of oddness they're perfectly rational and self aware.

Edited by emerson, 02 July 2005 - 03:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users