- - - - -

How to Increase Butyrate?

butyrate butyric acid

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:54 AM

What are the best ways to increase butyrate?

What I have come across:

Direct Supplements:

• Sodium Butyrate
  • Sodium/Potassium Butyrate
  • Cal/Mag Butyrate

Prebiotics: 

• FOS
  • Resistant Starch

Probiotics:

• Which ones?

Thanks.

#2 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:27 AM

Another strategy is to take acarbose, which has the effect of turning all complex (non-sugar) human-digestible starch into resistant starch:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10961161

Br J Nutr. 2000 Jul;84(1):57-61.

Acarbose raises serum butyrate in human subjects with impaired glucose tolerance.

Wolever TM1, Chiasson JL.

Abstract

The fermentation of starch in vitro produces a higher proportion of butyrate than the fermentation of most other substrates. The alpha-glucosidase inhibitor acarbose increases the amount of starch entering the colon, and has been shown to increase faecal butyrate in humans. It is generally considered that colonic butyrate is quantitatively removed by the colonic mucosa and liver and does not appear in peripheral blood. However, studies in animals suggest that a small proportion of colonic butyrate reaches peripheral blood. Thus, we hypothesised that an increase in colonic butyrate production would result in a rise in serum butyrate in human subjects. To test this, subjects with impaired glucose tolerance were randomly treated in a double-blind fashion with placebo (n 11) or acarbose (n 11) (100 mg three times per day). Serum short-chain fatty acid concentrations were measured twelve times over 12 h with subjects eating a standard diet before randomization and after 4 months of therapy. At baseline, 12 h mean serum butyrate concentrations were similar in the placebo and acarbose groups (2.8 (SE 0.7) and 3.3 (SE 0.6) microM, respectively). After 4 months on placebo, mean serum butyrate (2.6 (SE 0.5) microM) was no different from baseline. However, after 4 months on acarbose, serum butyrate had increased to 4.2 (SE 1.0) microM, a value which differed significantly from both the baseline value in the acarbose group and the treatment value in the placebo group. We conclude that acarbose increased serum butyrate in subjects with impaired glucose tolerance. These results support the hypothesis that increased colonic butyrate production in human subjects can be detected by an increase in serum butyrate.

PMID: 10961161 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I've experienced greater improvement in my digestive health over a few months on acarbose, than I have over several years of yoghurt, yakult, probiotics use. The benefits didn't happen overnight - they took a good month to become to accrue & become noticeable. I suspect/assume that there has been a "significant" (as in, large or important) change in the type of bacteria living in my colon.

Edited by blood, 17 May 2014 - 06:47 AM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:27 AM

Dietary fiber.  Psyllium husk.  Metamucil.

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/8898423

#4 DbCooper

• 137 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

Most dietary fiber doesn't make it to be fermented in the colon, RESISTANT STARCH is what the butyrate producing bugs in you colon love to ferment, in doing so providing mass amounts of butyrate along with a whole host of other short chain fatty acids (SFC). Supplemented butyrate gets broken down in the stomach and doesn't lead to increased blood levels of butyrate.

Get yourself a $4 bag of BOBs Red mill Potato Starch and start with one tablespoon working unto 4. 

#5 adamh

• 1,013 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

I've been using potato starch for several months, I had to cut back because it is a wicked gas producer for me. I read that the gas stops being a problem after a while but after over a month it was still phenomenal so now i use one large spoon per day which is about 1.5 tablespoons. I figure that is a good compromise because it only increases gas a little.

Tributyrin, is a precursor of butyrate and is found in butter and cheese, that seems like a good source. It raises serum levels of butyrate more than taking na butyrate itself.

#6 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:06 PM

The Western lowland gorilla manages to do it through eating 74 g fiber per 100 g (dry weight) of diet, resulting in a caloric intake that's 57% short-chain fatty acids, including butyrate.

Popovich, D. G., Jenkins, D. J., Kendall, C. W., Dierenfeld, E. S., Carroll, R. W., Tariq, N., & Vidgen, E. (1997). The western lowland gorilla diet has implications for the health of humans and other hominoidsThe Journal of nutrition127(10), 2000-2005.

Our lineage has lost most of its colon volume, meaning we'll never match gorillas in fiber fermentation efficiency. Still, making a large (ie, punch bowl sized) leafy salad the main course of every meal (including breakfast) has a lot of health benefits (and many real-life hindrances). For people with ample outdoor space and  disposable time, the edible garden, and keeping a punchbowl of edible leaves at our desks for snacking, may be an option. 

Edited by Darryl, 17 May 2014 - 10:07 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

As a probiotic you may consider Clostridium butyricum MIYAIRI 588. Typical probiotics don't produce butyrate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: butyrate, butyric acid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users