Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

- - - - -

Safe use of deprenyl - selegiline

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:15 PM

I started taking Selepryl or liquid selegilin about 6 weeks ago. I've been taking 1 drop a day (should be equal to 1mg), but haven't really noticed difference. Last few days I uped my dose to 5 drops per day (split) and i'm really feeling the difference. I feel more motivated than ever before, i enjoy life, i even find doing routine work not so boring. I've also made some real plans about things i've been thinking for a long time but never really started working on it. To sum it: i feel like i always belived i should feel, but never really was motivated so much.
But...I'm 25 and i know that deprenyl shouldn't even be used at all at my age. Now I'm wondering what is the maximum amount of liquid selegiline i could use daily for short period (one month) and what is the amount i could use in long term. Also do you think that weekend brakes have any benefit, and should i make a break every few months or so, and for how long?

Also i'm able to get tablet selegilin much cheaper, should i use higher amounts of mg than liquid (as liquid is supposed to be more bioavailable so less supposedly less is needed)?

#2 velocidex

• 75 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:07 PM

Who says that selegiline shouldn't be used at your age? I'm 21, and I've taken 5 mg/day for a month and noticed no problems (other than vastly improved memory)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 enemy

• 154 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:48 PM

When you run into some insomnia, its time to cut back.

#4 wannafulfill

• 275 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:15 AM

routine work is supposed to be boring - you sound drugged

imo cut the dose back until you don't feel like superman anymore

#5 Guest_da_sense_*

• Topic Starter
  • Lurker

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:31 AM

velocidex that's the feeling i got from readings. Having no obvious symptoms now doesn't mean it's safe in a long term.

wannafulfill i guess i was little excited about all that, but i don't really feel like superman, and it's not a drugged feeling. I just want to say I got the wish to fully live my life. I have hard time doing routine work because it's boring, but now i see a greater goal in my life and to get there i do boring work more easily, it's still boring but i make my self do it more easily than before. Anyway i still have my quiet moments when i bring my mind down and meditate, i even have a afternoon nap which means i'm still not abusing it in terms of being overstimulated. I just want to make sure it won't do me harm in a long term.

PS i forgot to say i'm taking my usual nootropics too: piracetam, aniracetam, agpc, centrophenoxine, idebenone, bacopa and ocasionaly pyritinol.

#6 jubai

• 130 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:27 PM

I'm 22 and I take 1-2 mg of Deprenyl a day, and it suits me very well. It has done my mind and body good, and I'm having a hard time to figure out why I should wait to be 30 to use this interesting substance.

#7 enigma

• 143 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:49 PM

I'm having a hard time to figure out why I should wait to be 30 to use this interesting substance.

I researched this drug extensivley before taking it, as far as I could find there was no reason why you should not be taking it under 30, perhaps it is only reccomended for people over 30 because people less than 30 are considered to have adaquete dopamine and PEA levels. Perhaps it would generally have a stronger anxiety effect on younger people.

Does anyone know if its possible to mimic deprenyl's effect with substances such as Tyrosine or DL phenylalanine to raise dopamine and PEA if taken in high enough doses? shouldnt they have the same effect?

#8 Guest_da_sense_*

• Topic Starter
  • Lurker

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:23 PM

OK I am under 25 and i'm taking it...but how much if not too much :)

As for tyrosine and DLPA, i've tried it both (have lots of powder still) but i never got any noticable effects from 5 gr of tyrosine or 2 gr of DLPA, some say they feel stimulated...but not me...

#9 spider

• 181 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 07:06 PM

"but i never got any noticable effects from 5 gr of tyrosine or 2 gr of DLPA" (da_sense)

Me neither.

I have read so many good experiences with deprenyl, that I've decided to try it myself.

#10 Guest_da_sense_*

• Topic Starter
  • Lurker

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:47 PM

Well for the time being i'll continue my 4-5 drops per day, we'll see what happens.

#11 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:11 AM

routine work is supposed to be boring - you sound drugged

imo cut the dose back until you don't feel like superman anymore

I think you're taking his comments for more than they are. I don't think he's saying he feels joy at the thought of filling out taxes, perhaps his meaning is that he's able to be more patient with more mundane things in life that need to be done, but ordinarilly he just can't find the mental stamina for. This is one of the symptoms of ADHD, a disorder in fact that is best treated one way or another. I'm glad he's found a solution that works for him. Being that he is using liquid selegiline, the possibility of tyramine-induced hypertensive episodes is pretty low IME.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 Guest_da_sense_*

• Topic Starter
  • Lurker

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:39 AM

johnmk thanks for pointing at ADHD. I've been looking into it, but looking at symtoms I wouldn't say I have ADHD. Guess part of me being what i am is that i've been lucky all my life. I never had any major problems in my life, whatever i tought of achieving i did it, and when i do it it becomes boring for me since the joy is in the journey not the goal itself. Part of this is that i work mostly from home, so not much day contact with other people. Anyway i'm not depressed either, i'm very happy. I often train 6 days in a week so it's not like i don't have energy...
But whatever my condition is, deprenyl is helping :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users