Photo
- - - - -

new to deprenly...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 simplyplacid01

• 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:18 PM

Just purchased deprenyl, looking to combat add. What should I expect, and how soon should I expect them? Can any one recommend proper dosage, or report experiences w/ this substance?

#2 spider

• 181 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:46 PM

I didn't know that deprenyl could be used to treat ADD. I thought that one should use Modafinil to treat ADD. But let us wait for the more knowledgible members of this forum.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 simplyplacid01

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:26 PM

i have read a couple reports reguarding ADHD and deprenyl.
"Arch Neurol 50: 286-288 (1993). Deprenyl in attention deficit associated with Tourette's syndrome. Jankovic J.
While central nervous system stimulants usually improve attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) associated with Tourette's syndrome, they often exacerbate tics and can produce other potentially serious complications. Because deprenyl may have a stimulatory effect and monoamine oxidase inhibitors have been shown to ameliorate hyperactive behavior, we studied this drug in children with the Tourette's syndrome-ADHD combination. Twenty-nine patients, 25 boys and four girls, with a mean age of 11.2 years (range, 6 to 18 years) and duration of symptoms for an average of 6.2 years (range, 1 to 13 years), were enrolled in this open trial after they became refractory to conventional treatments for ADHD. The average duration of treatment with deprenyl was 6.7 months (range, 3 to 15 months) and the average daily dose was 8.1 mg/d (range, 5 to 15 mg/dL). Twenty-six of all patients (90%) reported clinically meaningful improvement in their ADHD (score > or = 2 on a scale of 0 to 4), with the mean global improvement rated at 2.6. There were no serious adverse side effects and only two patients noted exacerbation of their tics. Deprenyl appears to be a safe and effective treatment of ADHD in patients with Tourette's syndrome."

#4 spider

• 181 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:47 PM

Yes, you are right, deprenyl has been used to treat ADD. The only thing I know is that most users of deprenyl on this forum don't take more than 5 mg per day. I hope someone else has some more constructive info for you.

#5 vastman

• 155 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:31 AM

Simply...I would suggest changing your posting title to "can deprenyl help with ADD?" or something like that as it may get a more learned response to your particular situration....

Have you checked out http://remidyfind.com ? While researching my particular problems, which turned out to be Apnea, it was a very useful site for exploring issues such as treatments and experiences of people such as yourself. It took me awhile to sort out my particular situation and I explored CFS, ADD, depression, fibromyalgia, and several other possibilities as well as various medical/non-medical treatment options/experiences as conveyed by others... check it out.

A quick check there listed the following: regarding deprenyl and Add:

Selegiline in comparison with methylphenidate in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder children and adolescents in a double-blind, randomized clinical trial.

Mohammadi MR, Ghanizadeh A, Alaghband-Rad J, Tehranidoost M, Mesgarpour B, Soori H.

Department of Psychiatry, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology Research Center, Roozbeh Hospital, Tehran, Iran.

OBJECTIVES: The aim of this study was to examine the selegiline treatment compared to methylphenidate (MPH) in children and adolescents with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). METHOD: Forty subjects, aged 6-15 years, boys and girls, who were diagnosed as having ADHD, using the criteria of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders- Fourth Edition (DSM-IV), were randomly assigned to receive either selegiline or MPH for 60 days. Treatment outcomes were assessed using the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Scale (ADHS) administered at baseline and on days 14, 28, 42, and 60 following the commencement of treatment. Side effects were also rated. RESULTS: There were no significant differences between sex, age, weight, and ethnicity of participants in the 2 groups. Both groups showed a significant improvement over the 60 days of treatment resulting from the teachers' and parents' ADHS scores across the treatment. CONCLUSION: Following the trial, MPH did not effect greater mean improvement as a result of the parents' or teachers' ADHS scores than selegiline. Thus, selegiline appears to be effective and well tolerated for ADHD in children and adolescents.

Apparantly a transdermal patch for sustained release is under consideration by FDA at this time....

good luck. You'll see there are oooodles of ADD possibilities for you to explore.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 spider

• 181 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 12:00 AM

"CONCLUSION: Following the trial, MPH did not effect greater mean improvement as a result of the parents' or teachers' ADHS scores than selegiline. Thus, selegiline appears to be effective and well tolerated for ADHD in children and adolescents.

Apparantly a transdermal patch for sustained release is under consideration by FDA at this time.... " (vastman)

Vastman, this is highly interesting, thanx! [thumb]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users