Photo

Lunch with Ray Kurzweil

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#31 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:35 PM

I'm curious.

Has anyone asked if he would like to come to the conference anyway?

I asked Dave Gobel, executive director of the Methuselah Foundation (and hence of the MPrize), and he said he'll wait a few days before asking, to give time for the press attention to fall into place, incuding the press release(s) at KurzweilAI.Net. If it looks like ImmInst is still in the running, then he'll try to find a way to broach the subject with Ray (or his PR people).

#32 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:37 PM

On a side note. I'm currently setting up my place so it can have another rental unit which should generate another 400/mo. I'm thinking about earmarking 100/mo of that money to the Mprize once I pay off the initial expenses (hopefully by sometime late this year/early next year. I'll then be in a position to join the 300.

Although with some luck there won't be anymore space in the 300 by that time, at which point I'll have to settle for just being another contributor.

#33 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:43 PM

I'm curious.

Has anyone asked if he would like to come to the conference anyway?

I mailed an invite package to Ray about 3 weeks ago. No reply yet.

I've also emailed him a few times (through his assistant) to let him know of ImmInst projects. He has replied twice. Once to say that he thinks ImmInst chats are important, but he's unable to participate at this time. And another time to permit the inclusion of his essay, Human Body Version 2.0, in the ImmInst Book,.

#34 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:43 PM

we do really need to find out if he can come to the conference at all. I doubt I could make it to another luncheon at a different place and time.

We shouldn't bid anymore until we find this out, otherwise we might find ourselves legally obligated to pay for something we can't attend.

#35 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:51 PM

ImmInst Team
500 - Bruce Klein (as high as 800)
300 - Elrond
250 - Malchiah
100 - Jay Fox (as high as 300)
100 - Mind (as high as 200)
--
1250 - Total (as high as 1850)

#36 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:04 PM

Okay, a few things that are very important.

1. DO NOT enter too many bids at this time. Let's work out the location first. If Dukenukem is able to go, he has already pledged to add $1000 or more to the bid.

2. PLEASE don't enter a bidding war, at least not yet. Most of the major bidding takes place near the end of an auction anyway, and while yes I would like to contribute as much as possible to the MPrize, we all have limited resources to do this.

3. Regarding LOCATION. We may not have a choice as to where it will be. The description on the auction page is vague, but it DOES say the following:

...a delicious luncheon that will be prepared by Methuselah Foundation volunteers in accordance with the guidelines set forth in "Fantastic Voyage."

To me, it seems the luncheon cannot take place just anywhere. This will be a SPECIFIC type of meal, prepared by people from the foundation. This makes me believe the location will be in Virginia, and we may all be responsible for getting there.

I think we should find out from them for sure where it will be held. This will help finalize the top 6 as some may not want to travel that far. It's perfect for Bruce, but Scott Miller has already said he wouldn't fly. (Scott, would you actually drive to VA from TX?) I don't mind taking a train or plane down there. (I'm not as scared of flying as some here. :) )

As it stands now, do we have more than 6 that are interested, assuming it takes place in VA?

#37 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:25 PM

As per the wording of the Kurzweil Lunch invitation letter...

the auction will be arranged at a time convenient to the winners and Dr. Kurzweil

...such that an ImmInst Team win would likely obligate Kurzweil to attend our Atlanta Nov 5 Conference so that he may have lunch at our groups convenience.

However, I still need to confirm he can indeed make it to Atlanta Nov 5.

#38 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:30 PM

Actually, I haven't pledged any money yet. And if I join the group I don't expect to put in as much as I would had I gone alone.

The biggest issue for me is the time I'll need to take from work for this lunch meeting, as it may conflict with a busy schedule I have coming up, coinciding with the release of a major game (www.Prey.com).

I'll need to think about this some more before I commit.

Scott

#39 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:42 PM

Understand, Scott. Your support of the ImmInst Team would be appreciated, of course. As additional incentive, the Atlanta Nov 5 ImmInst Conference will be attended by a number of Longevity Luminaries:

http://www.imminst.org/conference/

· Neurological Remediation - Hughes
· Technology Studies - Arrison
· Design for Change - Vita-More
· Brain-computer Interfacing - Passaro
· Artificial Intelligence - Yudkowsky
· Immortalizing Brains - Goertzel
· Diachronous Self - More
· Cryonics - Merkle
· Cryopreserving the Brain - Best
· Cryonics Affordability - Hoffman
· Cryobiology - Wowk
· Biological Immortality - Rose
· Artificial Heart - Houghton
· Optimal Health Medicine - Heward
· Anti-aging - de Grey

#40 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:52 PM

Dear Amara,

Do you know if Ray is free for lunch in Atlanta on Nov 5?

We'd like to know before the auction ends (July 15) as there are a number of people (all ImmInst Full Members) who hope to secure the high bid for Lunch with Dr. Kurzweil.

Nov 5 looks to be the best time for all of us to meet:

CONFERENCE:
Atlanta, GA - Sat. Nov. 5, 2005 (one full day)
Immortality Institute's Life Extension Conference
http://imminst.org/conference/

SPEAKERS:
· Neurological Remediation - Hughes
· Technology Studies - Arrison
· Design for Change - Vita-More
· Brain-computer Interfacing - Passaro
· Artificial Intelligence - Yudkowsky
· Immortalizing Brains - Goertzel
· Diachronous Self - More
· Cryonics - Merkle
· Cryopreserving the Brain - Best
· Cryonics Affordability - Hoffman
· Cryobiology - Wowk
· Biological Immortality - Rose
· Artificial Heart - Houghton
· Optimal Health Medicine - Heward
· Anti-aging - de Grey

Ray is also welcome to speak at the conference.

Bruce Klein
http://www.imminst.org/bjklein

#41 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:57 PM

Bruce,

I’ll check.

Amara

#42 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:07 PM

Bruce, I'm led to assume that Ray's people got back to you? I see that you bid the auction up to over $900, without a bidding war as well. I'm curious to see if anyone bites at this currently much higher bid.

#43 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:12 PM

No reply yet from Amara, but I'll post as soon as I know.

#44 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:14 PM

Yes, I suspect kirkmathews has a bid in at around 1,000.. but of course this could be much higher.

http://offer.ebay.co...item=5592464719

#45 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:24 PM

We shouldn't bid anymore until we find this out, otherwise we might find ourselves legally obligated to pay for something we can't attend.

#46 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:24 PM

I see that you bid the auction up to over $900, without a bidding war as well.

Yes, I suspect kirkmathews has a bid in at around 1,000.. but of course this could be much higher.

Yeah, I didn't see Kirk up there, so your long string of bids looked like an attempt to outbid yourself. Having used eBay maybe three times in my life, I don't know what the tell-tale signs of a bidding war against an automatic bidding system look like. Now I know.

Probably a good idea to wait until tomorrow, and until someone outbids Kirk, before trying to place any further bids... Then again, what do I know, I've only used eBay like thrice in my whole life!

Once the bidding breaks $1,000, I think it will be easier to get a slashdot submission accepted.

#47 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:36 PM

I've sent an outreach to Kirk to join our team... in case we both are out bid by a high-net-worth individual in the future.

#48 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:42 PM

Bruce, hold on some more. I know you want to click that button, but wait and see what happens first.

With 8 days left, this bidding may easily reach $10,000 or more. If we wait a few more days, we'll get a better idea of who's really in the running if we see someone bidding more than once.

#49 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 12:19 AM

Thanks, Malchiah... I understand your concern and will keep this in mind, but for now, we have the highest bid at $1,011.

http://offer.ebay.co...item=5592464719

#50 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:25 AM

Bruce, until we hear back from Ray's people, it might be a good idea not to exceed the starting bids of those who have placed bids in this thread. The last time you updated the list, our maximum bid would start at $1250, though we could go as high as $1850:

ImmInst Team
500 - Bruce Klein (as high as 800)
300 - Elrond
250 - Malchiah
100 - Jay Fox (as high as 300)
100 - Mind (as high as 200)
--
1250 - Total (as high as 1850)

I would suggest not exceeding $1250 (or whatever our maximum "starting" bid works out to, assuming other members add bids) until we know Ray can make it. Does that sound fair?

Not that it matters: I assume if we bid $1850 by tomorrow evening, that would be far surpassed before this is over. If we are to win this, we're going to need several people like Kirk (assuming he accepts your offer) who were willing to bid $1,000 on their own. In fact, as has been suggested, it may come down to having the top six donors put in several hundred to a thousand dollars each, plus many other supporters like myself chipping in as well, taking one for the team, so to speak.

Anyway, I doubt I can make the top six. I can handle $300, and I might be able to squeeze another hundred or two out of my budget, though I doubt it'd help me make the top six. That's too rich for me at this point in my life, unfortunately. But like you said, "Daily Show celebrity types have good pull", so perhaps I'll still get a seat close to the winners' table.

#51 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:58 AM

I think we're relying too heavily on the assumption that Ray will be able to make it to atlanta nov 5th.

Before hearing back from him on this it is foolhardy to continue bidding.

How many people's bids here still stand if ray will not be able to make it and they have to fly to VA another time?

since i'm willing to give to the mprize anyway mine does (I will not be able to make it to any lunch other than november 5th in atlanta).

That is a total of 800 between you and me bruce, plus another 100 from jay if I understand him correctly. That has already been exceded. We either need the go ahead from everyone else here, or we need to hear from Ray that yes, he will be able to meet us in atlanta nov 5th.

The ebay auction states that it is for local pickup only. Indicating that the original assumption is for lunch in VA.

#52 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:15 AM

Anyway, we are over $1000, how about that slashdot article?

I'd love to see the ending bid over $10,000. I doubt we'd have any chance of getting it, but who cares at that point. That would be great for the mprize.

#53 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:26 AM

Thanks, Jay & Elrond.

Our $1250 combined initial bid is a good level for the ImmInst Team to stay under until the auction comes closer to an end.

I'll post Ray's reply as soon as it's in my in-box.

#54 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:52 AM

Personally, trying to combine the luncheon with Ray and the conference will be difficult. Bruce and many others here will already be squeezed for time and it won't make for a comfortable 2-3 hours of shmoozing with Ray, or any of the other speakers for that matter.

For the conference, some of us will need to arrive the day earlier to set things up at the conference. Though my plans aren't definite yet, I certainly plan on being there the day before.

Perhaps, Nov 4 would actually be a better time for the luncheon, with the incentive for him to stick around to shmooze with the other speakers Friday evening. You never know, Bruce you might be successful in getting him to come to the conference even without the luncheon. In that case, we meet him for free. :)

This of course all depends on Ray's availability for that weekend.

... And one last thing. Are there really only 5 of us that are nutty enough to want this? (Well, Scott would make 6, but he seems to want Ray all to himself. :) )

#55 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 04:04 AM

Good question, Malchiah. Having the lunch or dinner on Fri(Nov 4) Sat(Nov 5) or Sun(Nov 6) are all options at this point. If we win the auction, this is something we'll likely workout as the event comes closer.

#56 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 01:04 PM

Malchiah, I never said I want Ray for myself, I've already said I'll contribute to the team. I'm just waiting until we get within a day or two. No bids should be placed unless the goal is to escalate the bidding war. Early bids very rarely win on eBay. It's the last second sniper who wins.

More than anything, I'm waiting for confirmation on whether Ray will be able to meet us at this convention in Nov. My bid will be at least $500, but I doubt I'll go much higher.

#57 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 01:31 PM

Assuming Scott joins us, and assuming he places a bid a $500, we're looking at a maximum bidding potential of $2,350, at least given those who have spoken so far. I seriously doubt this will be enough, which raises two or three important questions:

1) Are there others here who are willing to bid, but are remaining silent in hopes of being one of the lucky six?

2) Of those who have already bid, is there any chance of possibly going higher? (In my case, I have already hinted I might go higher, though for budgetary reasons I couldn't possibly go higher than $500, and I doubt I'd even go that high.)

3) Of those who can't or won't bid enough to be in the top six, is there any chance you could bid $10 or $25 or $50 or $100 towards the team, to help boost our bid (which goes to a good cause) and our visibility?

As a final note, if anyone is concerned about posting publicly, you could at least PM Bruce, who will, I trust, keep your name and bid confidential. That way, Bruce can keep a tally of the silent bidders, and have a better chance at being able to win this.

I should also point out that, if we follow a last minute strategy, then we won't know how high the bidding might go. So, in that case, we should assume the worst (well, the worst for ImmInst, but the BEST for the MPrize), by which I mean that we should assume a five-figure winning bid. I have serious doubts it will get that high, but we should be trying to collect bidding power here at ImmInst as though the goal were to be able to place a five-figure bid, if necessary, to win.

With six top bidders, we'd be looking at close to two grand each, if no one else pitches in. I just don't see that happening. If Kirk joins our team, and the other six spots give $500, that would still only get us about $3,500 in bidding potential.

If twenty other Full Members agreed to pitch in $100, which is a stretch to say the least, that would still only push us up to $5,500 in bidding potential.

Which brings us back to the Conference. With the conference, we have an opportunity for people who help win the bid, but didn't make the top six, to get to meet Ray. They won't get to sit and have lunch at the same table, and discuss the future or the present or the past with Ray, but they'd get to meet him, before or after the luncheon.

And with regards to a Friday luncheon, if Ray were willing to stay for the Friday night get-together, the bidders who help us win (but aren't in the top six) could still come to the schmooze-fest, so to speak, and meet Ray. They just wouldn't be part of the actual luncheon. But it could still be an incentive to bid... maybe?

The point is, even as a team effort, I seriously doubt we'll win this with just the help of the top six bidders. So we'll need the help of every member who sees the potential benefit of winning this auction for ImmInst!

#58 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:53 PM

My money is good whether or not I get to eat with Ray. If other members pledge more for this luncheon then I feel they should get to have the meal. I just want to have Ray meet with Imminst members (preferably at the conference) because of the great exposure possibilities.

#59 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:00 PM

I am going to throw in $50 for you guys ( no seat needed ). This is mostly for the sake of getting the bidding higher, but I think getting Ray to the conference would be great for ImmInst, even though I wont be able to come.

Good luck. :)

#60 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 04:13 PM

Still looking for reply from Ray.

ImmInst Team

Seat 1: $500 - Bruce Klein (as high as $800)
Seat 2: $300 - Elrond
Seat 3: $250 - Malchiah
Seat 4: $100 - Jay Fox (as high as $300)
Seat 5: $100 - Mind (as high as $200, if outbid money to support team $100)
Seat 6: open
No seat: $50 - Lightowl (money to support team)
--
Total: $1300 (as high as $1900)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users