carnitine benefits?

carnitine

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:21 AM

since i read that long term consumption of high doses carnitine may affect heart health, a lot of people dropped this supplement from use. as usual, people get freaked out quite easy the moment something they believe is "perfect" gets one or two negative reports.

anyway, regardless of any negative long term high dose effect, anyone who has been using carnitine and has noticed benefits? i want to hear personal experiences in wide range of benefits you might have noticed from its usage but im specifically interested if it helps with muscle, fatigue and fat loss. personal reports are much more important than just urling various articles, ktnx :)

• dislike x 1

#2 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:18 AM

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:33 AM

" if it helps with muscle, fatigue and fat loss."

No, it doesn't. Not  at all. And I could have told you so at least 15 years ago. Case closed.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

No, it doesn't. Not  at all. And I could have told you so at least 15 years ago. Case closed.

Depends on your age. In older people, it absolutely does help with muscle growth and fat loss. It's in the literature. In young people, probably not.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#5 normalizing

• Topic Starter
  • 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:30 PM

what kind of a blatant statement is this....

if carnitine doesnt really help, im surprised its still so heavily marketed and consumed by bodybuilders, atheletes and others alike.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#6 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

what kind of a blatant statement is this....

if carnitine doesnt really help, im surprised its still so heavily marketed and consumed by bodybuilders, atheletes and others alike.

You mean like for example homeopathy is heavily marketed and consumed ~200 years after everybody should know it doesn't do squat? Please...

Bodybuilders and athletes are the least difficult audience to market bullshit there is. 99% of sport "supplements" are useless at best.

• dislike x 2
  • Ill informed x 1

#7 normalizing

• Topic Starter
  • 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:38 PM

ok dolph, if you feel so strong about carnitine being useless fine. im expecting other reports from people using it regularly tho. and dont vote me down!

• dislike x 1

#8 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:39 PM

and dont vote me down!

Well, doesn't look exactly like I'm the only one... 

You want to hear what you whish to be true, that's definitely sad at least.

• dislike x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#9 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

carnitine is slowly emerging as a causative agent in vascular disease, and a possible mechanism is being established.

mildronate, an effective agent for ischemic heart disease, works by inhibiting butyrobetaine synthase, and hence carnitine synthesis. let me just emphasize, that mildronate reduces infarct size in rat models of IHD. Mildronate is cardioprotective in hypoxic and reperfusion injuries. It also improves functional status of anginal patients. Mildronate also offers favorable cns protein expression, thus being neuroprotective and a nootropic. To top it all off, administering carnitine alongside mildronate abolishes mildronate's protective cardiovascular effects.

I would avoid carnitine for the time being.

Edited by medicineman, 03 June 2014 - 04:41 PM.

• like x 1

#10 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

mildronate, an effective agent for ischemic heart disease, works by inhibiting butyrobetaine synthase, and hence carnitine synthesis. let me just emphasize, that mildronate reduces infarct size in rat models of IHD. Mildronate is cardioprotective in hypoxic and reperfusion injuries. It also improves functional status of anginal patients. Mildronate also offers favorable cns protein expression, thus being neuroprotective and a nootropic. To top it all off, administering carnitine alongside mildronate abolishes mildronate's protective cardiovascular effects.

This might be a red herring, because it's an acute effect, while the purported danger of carnitines is through a long term development of arterial dysfunction. I don't know what Mildronate is doing, but I have a feeling that elimination of carnitine isn't the whole mechanism. We get carnitine from diet as well as synthesis.

We had a big thread about the carnitine heart disease issue a while ago.  At first I figured on the basis of that information that since ALCAR didn't seem to be that important to me since I started using c6Ooo, I'd just drop it.  A few months later, two things became apparent:  My overly high level of lp(a) (which I am treating with Niacin) went up about 20%.  I began to notice an increase in abdominal obesity, despite maintaining a constant weight.  Both of these are reported in the literature to be responsive to dietary carnitines.  I restarted the ALCAR (which increases the carnitine pool), and my abdominal obesity problem cleared up.  I should be getting numbers on lp(a) sometime soon. 

I think that the science implicating carnitine in atherosclerosis is pretty thin.  This paper offers a counterpoint.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 May 2022 - 07:39 PM

high dose caritine with high dose vitamin c makes me very comfortable in my skin and i enjoy my skin touching things more.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carnitine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users