- - - - -

Why is Red Wine Healthy?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#31 Infernity

• Topic Starter
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:09 PM

Well, set. 40-60 minutes 5-7 days per week. That's what she does. Hehe since she started she also eats much healthier.
I told her to look at it as money:
If you work hard to get your money, you'll think twice before wasting it. If you find a purse with 250$, with no ID, you'll spend it on a good meal with the family and stuff, you won't feel you have wasted a thing for spending it all, because you have no value to it, you found it (unless you are very poor).

However, same is food- if you are working so hard to burn extra calories, and then bring back half on a damned little piece of sweet chocolate, won't you feel you have been working for nothing? Like you were working so hard and nothing really happened?
I personally get a heartache from it, really.

Moreover she looks much better, she always have, but now, she does much more!

Thanks Jay.

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#32 Trias

• 270 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:25 PM

Oh really Graeme? [tung] I'd never tell this on you heh.

Thanks for the replies guys, well all types of berries have lots of sugar in it too, so it's not too good to eat a lot of it...

I personally don't drink at all, perhaps because I'm 14 and a good girl [thumb] hmm, I think when legal I'll start having a glass of red wine a couple of times per week or something, I were to taste red wine, must admit, it has a taste of more, but not hard to do without.

dantecubit, internet problems? heh you've posted a double.

Tell me once there's anything certain please.

Thanks for the info

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

A 14 years old "good" girl ?
Heh. For some reason, I don't think so...
(Ani yodea she'at merama be'dookim!!! [lol] )

Remember that alcohol (present in red wine) releases 7 kcal. [empty], in comparison to simple carbohydrate [sugar] with only 4 kcal. per gram. Despite of the fact that alcohol contains no valuable nutrients whatsover, it also requires MANY nutrients from your body to get absorbed. I'd recommend no more than one to two [if you insist] glasses per week of red-wine (despite of its not-so-pleasent taste, but that is merely my opinion! [thumb] ).

Adi, everything we do "kills" us slowly, even breathing.
Howver, our bodies are sohpisticated machines - they know how to deal with "moderate" damage (free radicals - by sun exposure, eating, moving, working out, being out, pollution, etc') for about... 80-100 years ;-)
Other than that, we have to intervene! but you know this part of the story, don't you.

btw, as a personal trainer and nutritionst; i can assure you that your mom's training schedule is excellent!
And the best tip you got here is by Jay; for us, biological organisms - MODERATION is the key. beyond that, everything (extra or less than what is required) can be VERY harmful...
-Daniel S.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Infernity

• Topic Starter
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:36 PM

Ah thanks Daniel.

A 14 years old "good" girl ?
Heh. For some reason, I don't think so...

Heck, got me cheating in "Dukim"? [tung]

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#34 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:56 PM

If you're drinking a glass of wine for health you should be drinking blueberry wine.

While wine, particularly red wine, is touted as cardioprotective since it is a good source of antioxidant anthocyanins, a recent study found that blueberries deliver 38% more of these free radical fighters. In this study, published in the August 2003 issue of the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, researchers found that a moderate drink (about 4 ounces) of white wine contained .47 mmol of free radical absorbing antioxidants, red wine provided 2.04 mmol, and a wine made from highbush blueberries delivered 2.42 mmol of these protective plant compounds.(October 1, 2003)

High bush blueberries are your standard supermarket variety. Low bush blueberries are the wild variety and are several times more potent (so get blueberry wine made from wild blueberries !!)

A Better Brain with Blueberries
In animal studies, researchers have found that blueberries help protect the brain from oxidative stress and may reduce the effects of age-related conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. Researchers found that diets rich in blueberries significantly improved both the learning capacity and motor skills of aging rats, making them mentally equivalent to much younger rats.

Protect the Brain from Damage After a Stroke

Eating plenty of blueberries may significantly lessen brain damage from strokes and other neurological disorders, suggests a study published in the May 2005 issue of the Journal of Experimental Neurology.

Neuroscientists at the University of South Florida College of Medicine, James A. Haley Veterans' Hospital and the National Institute on Drug Abuse found that rats fed diets enriched with blueberries, spinach or spirulina (a type of algae) suffered the loss of much fewer brain cells and recovered significantly more of their ability to move following a stroke.

The researchers studied four groups of rats. All were fed equal amounts of food for one month. The control (untreated) group ate chow only. A second group was given rat chow supplemented with blueberries, the third got chow with spinach, and the fourth received chow with spirulina.

After four weeks, an ischemic stroke with reperfusion was induced in the rats. (An ischemic stroke occurs when a blood clot blocks an artery, cutting off the supply of oxygen to the brain with the result that brain cells can be severely damaged and die). When the clot is cleared, the pent up oxygenated blood quickly rushes back in. Known as reperfusion, this restoration of blood flow can also result in brain damage as it causes cellular swelling, edema and the production of free radicals.

Rats given blueberry or spinach along with their chow, however, were protected: the size of the area of their brains damaged by the stroke was half that seen in the brains of the control rats.

Rats fed spirulina-enriched diets did even better; their stroke lesions were 75 per cent smaller than those of controls. In addition, but not surprisingly, rats pretreated with the blueberry, spinach or spirulina diets also showed regained more of their abilities to move after the stroke than rats in the control group. Neuroscientists think the reason for the improved outcome in blueberry, spinach or algae-treated rats is the same as that demonstrated in previous University of Florida/Veterans Administration research, which revealed that diets enriched with blueberries, spinach or spirulina reversed normal age-related declines in memory and learning in old rats. All these foods are exceptionally rich in antioxidants, which neuroscientists believe able to largely counteract the burst of free radicals triggered in brain cells by an ischemic stroke. It is this sudden excessive production of free radicals that damages the lipids, proteins and DNA in brain cells, causing their death.

Several ingredients in blueberries, including their flavonoids and anthocyanins, have been shown to have strong antioxidant activity. Similar to blueberry, spinach leaves also contain high levels of antioxidants flavonoids, p-coumaric acid, 9-cis-â-carotene, and other water-soluble natural antioxidants. Just how powerful these compounds are is suggested by the fact that blueberries and spinach were each given as only 2% of the two supplemented rat diets.

USDA Researchers Enthusiastic

Enthusiastic USDA researchers Dr. Joseph and Dr. Shukitt-Hale are delving into the fascinating study of memory and the aging process and have so far found that natural phytochemicals in blueberries appear to be able to reverse some of these processes.

Read the USDA's Agriculture Research Service article for an overview of the research and the abstract from the Journal of Neuroscience article for more in-depth information about this exciting information

To view the paper in its entirety in Adobe (pdf) format, click here.

Washington DC, September 10, 1999. Blueberries May Restore Some Memory, Coordination and balance Lost with Age. Scientists at USDA's Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging have found that a diet high in blueberry extract reverses some loss of balance and coordination as well as improving short-term memory in aging rats.

The findings, published in the Journal of Neuroscience, indicate that blueberries excelled in promoting these improvements

For further information, see the WBANA press release and the USDA press release on these astounding findings.

The Japanese know this and they import almost every bottle produced in the States.

#35 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 11:23 PM

Absolutely, the smaller wild blueberries are by far the most beneficial. Anyone who lives near a Trader Joe's should try their "Organic Blueberry Fruit Spread," which is made from wild blueberries (first ingredient), grape juice concentrate, fruit pectin, and vitamin C for a preservative.

The author of the book Superfoods Rx had a lab test the ORAC value of several blueberry spreads & jams and the Trader's Joe's brand came out on top by a good margin. I don't live anywhere near a Trader Joe's, so I have to pay for people to send me cases of this stuff, and on top of the health goodness, it tastes delicious.

#36 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 11:52 PM

Too bad it's probably loaded with simple refined carbohydrates. Can't have one's cake and eat it too it seems. Heh. Still, I don't think in moderation you need be worried.

#37 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 01:25 AM

Well, luckily, it's probably mostly fructose, which if you had to pick between glucose, dextrose, sucrose, and fructose, I think fructose would be the poison of choice. Lower glycemic index. Of course, fructose also stimulates production of hormones that cause hunger. So if you aren't counting calories, you'll likely eat more if their isn't enough fiber to temper the fructose.

#38 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 01:28 AM

At any rate, I'll have to remember that: wild blueberry wine. Sounds delicious. I don't drink that much anyway. I went years without a drink, and recently went through a bottle of red wine in a week. Besides, I'm only 27. I think I do become a consistent moderate wine drinker, it'll be in my 30's, when I'm in the age range that's more clearly part of the Gompertz curve.

#39 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 04:06 AM

I just ordered ten bottles of Wild Blueberry extract from http://www.swansonvitamins.com/

Less than half the price of Blueberry IQ and using the wild blueberries.

#40 cyric

• 94 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 06:16 AM

Osiris is obviously very knowledgable in biochemistry and biomolecular structures. I've never met anyone else that knew that stuff (perhaps my tutor is an exception).

#41 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:52 PM

I've never seen anything like wild blueberry wine. Where might I find it?

#42 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:08 AM

Elrond,

I don't know. If you find it let me know. Although I think Maine produces wine from lowbush blueberries. I had to call up a half dozen wine retailers in my area just to find a bottle of highbush !

It's not too bad either... a tad sweet and tart so it makes a good after dinner wine.

#43 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:16 AM

...I think Maine produces wine from lowbush blueberries. I had to call up a half dozen wine retailers in my area just to find a bottle of highbush !

I thought you indicated earlier that the lowbush variety are the more potent. Why were you looking for highbush? Cost? Flavor?

#44 Mark Hamalainen

• 564 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:47 AM

Osiris is obviously very knowledgable in biochemistry and biomolecular structures. I've never met anyone else that knew that stuff (perhaps my tutor is an exception).

huh?

#45 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 03:37 AM

Would someone do a list of advantages and disadvantages of drinking a glass of wine per day?

Advantages
1) Contains resveratrol, which may activate longevity genes and extend life.
2) Lowers risk for heart disease (although there are many other things which do this).
3) Is enjoyable!
4) [insert Simpsons reference]

Disadvantages
1) Does some brain and liver damage.
2) Generates free radicals, damaging the body.
3) Other things associated with alcohol-- alcoholism, drunk driving, etc. (although at 1 glass per day this will likely not be a problem).

Is this pretty "fair and balanced"?
:)

#46 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 03:45 AM

4) [insert Simpsons reference]

Here's to alcohol: the source of, and answer to, all of life's problems.
Marge send the kids to the neighbors. I'm coming home loaded.
Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose. It's how drunk you get.
All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer.

#47 Infernity

• Topic Starter
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:39 AM

Ah, thanks dantecubit [tung] heh.

Yours
~Infernity

#48 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 12:16 AM

jaydfox,

It's all I can find.

#49 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 02:24 AM

Oh, I got ya now. I misinterpreted... anyway, I got ya.

#50 rillastate

• 83 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 12:50 AM

red wine is touted as being healthy for your heart because it happens to contain a great amount of antioxidants. But there are, of course, much better choices you could make in foods that contain large amounts of antioxidants. Someone already mentioned blueberries which are among the top of the list when it comes to choosing antioxidant rich foods. Just do a search for foods rich in antioxidants and you'll find lists of foods and how much and what type of antioxidants each contains. Just stay out of commercial sites that are only trying to sell you their product.

#51 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 05:03 AM

I just got my wild blueberry extract from Swanson Vitamins, a new product that is a third the cost of Blueberry IQ. It's large capsules filled with a very dry powder that tastes like, well, blueberries. I was kind of hoping it would be the small soft gel completely sealed capsules with liquid extract as I figure some of the beneficial constituency of blueberries may be water soluble. Anybody know? Before I was taking the Blueberry IQ which is made from commercial blueberries and does come in the soft gel. Guess I'll go ahead and use these dry type. I and the rest of my family are now eating about a cup or two of wild blueberries everyday that I get frozen from Costco for about $2.20 a lb. I wonder if the freezing damages the antioxidants at all.

#52 rillastate

• 83 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:54 AM

I'd recommend limiting the supplement intake. A healthy diet is superior to a so-so diet combined with 10,000 worth of supplements. Nutrients work synergistically. Isolating them does little good for the body. Please take the time to read the suggested articles. Thanks.

http://cms.psycholog...202-000004.html

http://www.dovestar.edu/WholeFoods.htm

http://www-nehc.med.navy.mil/downloads/hp/...upplements'

http://www.findartic...ay/ai_100767890

http://home.gci.net/...ial_vit_min.htm (Good Read)

http://www.eatright....ex_adap1099.cfm

http://www.whfoods.c...utrientstoc.php

I personally have chosen to eat a healthy well balanced diet with the occasional multi-vitamin. My diet is full of fresh whole fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, chicken, fish, steak. Everything whole. I haven't had a single fast food meal in over a year; except for the occasional sub. I seriously don't think I could feel any healthier right now in my life. I suggest you guys give it a try right too.

EDIT: P.S. Chip, yes, freezing does damage the antioxidant content of foods just as heating, frying, steaming, and microwaving does. I think theres a study posted somewhere on the net that gives the exact numbers.

"The thousands of vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals [beneficial plant compounds] in whole foods act synergistically together to create a more powerful effect than the sum of their parts, producing a result which cannot be recreated by supplements," says Jeff Prince, vice president for education at the American Institute for Cancer Research.

"Although the benefits of antioxidants in foods are well known, their efficacy in supplement form is dubious. What supplements lack is synergy. Antioxidants need to work in concert with other molecules to achieve their beneficial effects. Even “brain formulas” that claim their many ingredients work synergistically can’t compete with the wealth of antioxidants in whole foods. Blueberries, for example, by virtue of plant pigments called anthocyanins, have 2400 times the antioxidant power of vitamin E (itself a powerful antioxidant). “There’s 40 anthocyanins and maybe 300 other compounds in blueberries—people don’t even know what they are yet—and they’re all working together,” says Joseph. “A supplement can’t even hope to compete.”

“There’s 40 anthocyanins and maybe 300 other compounds in blueberries—people don’t even know what they are yet—and they’re all working together,” says Joseph. “A supplement can’t even hope to compete.”

Edited by rillastate, 21 July 2005 - 08:14 AM.

#53 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for the info rillastate. I'll spend some time looking at the links. I understand that freezing is perhaps the least damaging of nutraceuticals (sp?) than the other methods of food prep. you list. Would love to see some more data on that. The frozen wild blueberries I get from Costco are stated as having been grown without pesticides. That they be the wild form should indicate that, at least before freezing, they have more of those anthocyanins than the commercial varieties and no pesticides is a plus.

#54 Infernity

• Topic Starter
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:38 AM

I personally have chosen to eat a healthy well balanced diet with the occasional multi-vitamin. My diet is full of fresh whole fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, chicken, fish, steak. Everything whole. I haven't had a single fast food meal in over a year; except for the occasional sub. I seriously don't think I could feel any healthier right now in my life. I suggest you guys give it a try right too.

As long as I know, you shouldn't eat more than two fruits per day, it has a lot of sugar.
Nuts, OK, again, not too much, it has a lot of fat.
Steak - - but the B12 and... err one more thing I don't remember it's not too healthy you know, it has a lot of BAAAAD fat and as far as I know, a good diet means the only meat should be a quarter a chicken twice a week or something like that. (Not speaking of fish, which is good).

Thanks for the links.

Yours
~Infernity

#55 rillastate

• 83 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 03:55 PM

As long as I know, you shouldn't eat more than two fruits per day, it has a lot of sugar.
Nuts, OK, again, not too much, it has a lot of fat.
Steak - - but the B12 and... err one more thing I don't remember it's not too healthy you know, it has a lot of BAAAAD fat and as far as I know, a good diet means the only meat should be a quarter a chicken twice a week or something like that. (Not speaking of fish, which is good).

Thanks for the links.

Yours
~Infernity

Hi Inf,

Regarding Fruit;

It doesn't contain a detrimental amount of sugar, you'll be fine if you have a well balanced clean diet and exercise regularly. The nutritional and antioxidal benefits outway the sugar aspect, at least for me. For some, eating fruit can be a double edge sword depending on how the rest of your diet and lifestyle is managed. It's debatable but, IMO, all the options weigh in favor of fruit because A) it's pretty low on the GI index mostly due to it containing fructose (sugar found in fruit) and since fructose is broken down in the liver instead of passing right through it like other sugars (glucose), it doesn't have much of an effect on blood sugar levels. And B) fructose (or fruit sugar), is absorbed into the liver cells without the aid of insulin. There is also glucose in fruits which do actually need insulin, but the insulin response is relatively low since not all the sugar in fruit is glucose. Being low on the GI and producing a low insulin response, IMO, makes this an attractive food choice.

Then there is the common arguement that eating fruit, because it contains fructose, will make you fat since fructose is easily converted to fat and then released back into the bloodstream to be stored as fat tissue. The response for this arguement is best described by Lyle McDonald in this question and answer interview:

"Q: How bad is it to consume fruit when you're trying to lose bodyfat. I was told that if I eat too much it will get turned to fat. Is this true?

A: The issue with fruit has to do with the sugar fructose. In excess of about 50 grams/day or so, fructose will be converted to triglycerides (fats) in the liver. While it's unlikely that this will 'make you fat' while on a diet, it has the potential to slow fat loss. However, it takes quite a bit of fruit to reach 50 grams/day, an average piece of fruit may have 7 grams of fructose or so (in addition to other sugars), you'd have to eat a lot of fruit per day for it to matter.

Another, perhaps more important issue, with regards to fructose is that the conversion of fructose to glucose in the liver requires energy (in the form of ATP), on a diet, this conversion can deplete liver ATP. This is important because liver ATP levels determine how well T4 (inactive thyroid) is converted to T3 (active thyroid hormone). It's possible that fruit could slow fat loss through this mechanism.

To be honest, except for very lean individuals, I don't see fruit as the problem on a diet. Eaten in moderation, it's an excellent source of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Just don't go crazy with it."

Inf, that is the short answer, the long answer would be best described in Lyle McDonalds report here - http://www.hypertrop...f=12;t=65;st=20

1 point for fruit, yeah [tung]

#56 Infernity

• Topic Starter
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 04:49 PM

Well, a glass of fresh orange juice has as much sugar as a lass of Coke.

I'd say two fruits per day is good.

Yours
~Infernity

#57 rillastate

• 83 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 04:54 PM

Infernity,

Also, regarding Nuts,

First u gotta define "too much. IMO, as long as i'm not consuming more calories than I burn in a day or disrupting my fat:protein:carb ration then I think it's okay to splurge on the peanuts. I go through about 1 jar of planters no-sodium non-roasted peanuts per week and 1 jar of smuckers natural peanut butter per week. Peanuts do contain a lot of fat, but poly and monounsaturated fat (healthy fat).

http://www.eurekaler...u-eph073103.php

http://www.eurekaler...u-eph073103.php

http://heartdisease....s/a/peanuts.htm

http://www.peanut-in.../072402_PR.html

http://www.peanut-in...orHeart_PR.html

http://www.peanut-in...tEaters_PR.html

#58 rillastate

• 83 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 05:06 PM

Well, a glass of fresh orange juice has as much sugar as a lass of Coke.

I'd say two fruits per day is good.

Yours
~Infernity

A glass of juice is not the same thing as a piece of fruit. Thats why nutritionists often say, "instead of having a glass of fruit juice, have a peice of fruit and a glass of water." Same concept with oranges; "instead of having a glass of orange juice, have an orange and a glass of water."

Yea two fruits per day is excellent. So is 3 or 4 or 5 depending on the rest of your diet and activity level.

#59 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:00 PM

Fruit juice, quite simply, is unhealthy. Fruit is fine for most people because the more complex carbs and fiber in the fruit's "meat" slow absorption, and provide other benefits. But fruit juice is just simple carbs, and since it doesn't require chewing you can ingest fruit juice at a much faster (re: less healthy) pace.

I've recently helped a friend get off fruit juice, as he drank 4-6 glasses a day believing it was healthy for him. He was shocked that his triglycerides were 550, since he never drank sodas, never ate red meat, and never ate fried foods or desserts. He came to me for advice and I discovered his fruit juice habit, and told him that's likely the culprit, and so now he's stopped.

The orange growers industry has us brainwashed into believing orange juice is good for us (it's not even a great source of vitamin C, relative to many other fruits), much like the dairy industry wants us to believe milk is good for us. And, sadly, most of us have bitten their hook and have been reeled in.

#60 rillastate

• 83 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:54 PM

"Steak - - but the B12 and... err one more thing I don't remember it's not too healthy you know, it has a lot of BAAAAD fat and as far as I know, a good diet means the only meat should be a quarter a chicken twice a week or something like that. (Not speaking of fish, which is good)."

FDA currently recommends 0.6 - 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram (2.2 lbs) of body weight. But experts are saying we actually need more than that; about 0.8 - 1 grams of protein for every 1 pound of body weight. So I disagree that chicken should be limited to only twice per week. Its best to get protein along with carbs and fat with every meal. Chicken is pretty much the lowest fat and calorie meat source of protein. Chicken (especially bonless skinless) is a great and healthy source of protein. Meat is pretty much the most protein dense food. So if you can find a very lean cut (I prefer round or lean ground), it is not bad to have once or twice per week to add variety to your diet. Plus, I never heard of vitamin B12 being anything close to unhealthy for normal human beings. Well, we do happen to agree on fish being good though.

-
RillaState

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users