• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

rod shaped finger nails with blood vessels after hand was exposed to atomic bomb

modification radiation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

http://www.pcf.city....x.php?l=E&id=34

I'm very interested in what exactly happened to the tissues of the fingertips to cause this to occur. This shows that it is possible to create new structures on an already fully formed organism. Imagine if our body could be modified in a positive way.

Edited by The Immortalist, 08 July 2014 - 07:56 PM.

#2 redFishBlueFish

• 186 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:13 AM

From the limited information, it sounds like a mutation that turned the tips of his fingers into antlers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antler
Each antler grows from an attachment point on the skull called a pedicle. While an antler is growing, it is covered with highly vascular skin called velvet, which supplies oxygen and nutrients to the growing bone.%5B7%5D Antlers are considered one of the most exaggerated cases of male secondary sexual traits in the animal kingdom,%5B8%5D and grow faster than any other mammal bone.%5B9%5D Growth occurs at the tip, and is initially cartilage, which is later replaced by bone tissue. Once the antler has achieved its full size, the velvet is lost and the antler's bone dies. This dead bone structure is the mature antler. In most cases, the bone at the base is destroyed by osteoclasts and the antlers fall off at some point.

But the problem here is, his body isn't letting these "nails" die off before breaking off. Maybe it's breaking off from the weight? Who knows....

#3 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:55 AM

Blood vessels, continuous growth... only showing in one place... no "multilocations" no "metastases". Can it be a rare benign tumor?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#4 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:08 AM

The color of the nail is like those of an Onychomatricoma.

Is there any histology of the "nails"?

• Good Point x 1

#5 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:19 AM

"I'm very interested in what exactly happened to the tissues of the fingertips to cause this to occur. "

It exactly happened mutation from the radiation. :)

"This shows that it is possible to create new structures on an already fully formed organism. "

Yes, radiation causes tumors in already fully formed organisms, and tumors are definately new structures.

"Imagine if our body could be modified in a positive way."

This is the dream of many geneticians. When I think about immortality and genetics, the most perspective thing, that gets in my mind are genetically produced organs and cells for replacing aged structures by transplantations.

#6 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:51 AM

Genetics won't be enough. One day in a not far future we will have full control over the bodies hardware and software. Fields like cognitive engineering will flourish. By the time I suspect we will be moving into digital substrates and abandoning our messy biology. But you could build any addon to a human body with that control.

Doing it with radiation is crazy, that's like building a house by shooting at a rock with a machine-gun.

#7 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:24 AM

we will be moving into digital substrates and abandoning our messy biology. But you could build any addon to a human body with that control.

Do you mean something like copy - pasting our   consciousness / brain activity / soul   in an artifitial electronic devices?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#8 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

Our brain is made out of particles that obey the laws of physics. I give it a high probability that consciousness will eventually be transferred entirely to the digital realm. This solarsystem alone could host trillions of humans in a virtual world with it's energy/matter content.

The only showstop for this event is existential risk, which I suspect is very large at our current moment in time, trapped on a planet with technology that is already bypassing our ancient minds understanding.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: modification, radiation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users