• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What are the best resources to read on how to not die?

reading education

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Y13N1

• 29 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

I've read many articles targeted at preventing specific causes of death such as cancer or heart attacks, but this results in me reading through large amount amounts of information that I already know. The reason for this is that there are techniques that can reduce risk of many causes of death at once (such as exercise).

Does anyone know of resources that don't have this problem? I've been considering Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever, and it seems pretty good. Recommendations are appreciated.

#2 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

A book of Preventive medicine may be of help for you.

#3 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

I would start with watching all the documentary films on the Singularity and antiaging... Here's ten http://www.longecity...-transhumanism/

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Y13N1

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

I would start with watching all the documentary films on the Singularity and antiaging... Here's ten http://www.longecity...-transhumanism/

I read the wikipedia article on transhumanism instead, as it seems to offer more reliable and succinct information. It didn't teach me anything on how to not die though, it taught about transhumanism instead. Why did you think it would teach me how to not die?

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

I read the wikipedia article on transhumanism instead, as it seems to offer more reliable and succinct information. It didn't teach me anything on how to not die though, it taught about transhumanism instead. Why did you think it would teach me how to not die?

The Singularity and Transhumanism are not much help right now.  They are hypothetical future paradigms.  Frankly, right this instant, there is no way to never die.  We think that will be different in the future, so your task is to stay healthy enough to not die until that future arrives.  In other words, "Live long enough to live forever".    You need to eat right, exercise properly, sleep well, use medicine to your advantage, and learn about the tools that are available in the non-FDA approved supplement world and pharmaceutical grey market.  It can be challenging to figure out what's right, what's wrong, what matters and what doesn't.  That's what generates much of the discussion here.

• Good Point x 3
  • like x 3

#6 Y13N1

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

The Singularity and Transhumanism are not much help right now.  They are hypothetical future paradigms.  Frankly, right this instant, there is no way to never die.  We think that will be different in the future, so your task is to stay healthy enough to not die until that future arrives.  In other words, "Live long enough to live forever".    You need to eat right, exercise properly, sleep well, use medicine to your advantage, and learn about the tools that are available in the non-FDA approved supplement world and pharmaceutical grey market.  It can be challenging to figure out what's right, what's wrong, what matters and what doesn't.  That's what generates much of the discussion here.

I know, that why I asked what some good resources are for figuring out what's right and what's wrong. Do you know of any good resources?

#7 scottknl

• 421 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:42 PM

The Longevity Diet

and

The CR Way

Are both great advice on structuring a diet and lifestyle to avoid death for the long run.  People who follow this have a much lower death rate than the general population. Only 2 people have passed away since I started 5+ years ago and one of them was 104 years old.

I might also suggest reading the posts and archives in The CR Society Archives.  These guys don't just talk about how to do it -- they live it!

• Informative x 1

#8 Y13N1

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

The Longevity Diet

and

The CR Way

Are both great advice on structuring a diet and lifestyle to avoid death for the long run.  People who follow this have a much lower death rate than the general population. Only 2 people have passed away since I started 5+ years ago and one of them was 104 years old.

I might also suggest reading the posts and archives in The CR Society Archives.  These guys don't just talk about how to do it -- they live it!

Thanks. Do you know of any free resources, and does the books your recommended discuss nutrition in general or just calorie restriction?

#9 scottknl

• 421 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

CR Society website has 2 lists.  One for discussing CR science in it's gory details -- and another for discussing general nutrition, lifestyle, exercise and other topics of general interest (though often health related).  The books discuss nutrition generally, but focus on methods for achieving the two rules of calorie restriction 1) get complete full nutrition and 2) reduce your calories while still doing 1.  If you were a young person and wanted to not focus so much on the CR until you're in your 30's or something, I think it's a great way to rework your diet.  The books don't focus on why other diets fail or other such topics, just getting full nutrition and lowering calories.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reading, education

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users