- - - - -

Ethical and Theological Considerations

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:29 AM

Nov 5, 2005 - ImmInst Atlanta Life Extension Conf.
http://www.imminst.org/conference

Individual Speaker Abstract & Discussion Forum:

Topic: Ethical and Theological Considerations
Posted Image Posted Image
Brad F. Mellon, Ph.D.
Dr. Mellon has a Master of Divinity degree from Biblical Theological Seminary, a Master of Sacred Theology degree, and is a Doctor of Philosophy in Hermeneutics from Westminster Seminary. Director of Pastoral Care for the Frederick Mennonite Community - ImmInst Book Contribution

#2 susmariosep

• 1,137 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:44 AM

Ethical and thelogical considerations...
Well, that is interesting, here.

There is one over all ethical and theological consideration I can think of, and here it is:

Memento mori. (Latin: Remember to die.)

Here are other ethical and theological considerations:

"Dust thou art and to dust thou shalt return."

"It is appointed unto man to die once, then judgment."

Dies irae, dies illa. (Latin: Day of rage, that day.)

But here is Prometheus' favorite ethical and theolgical consideration:

"The last enemy that shall be conquered is death." (1 Corinthians 15:26)

And we have here in ImmInst Org the defiant aspiration thus stated:

"The mission of ImmInst is to conquer the blight of involuntary death."

Then also: "4) All membership arrangements automatically end with the dissolution of ImmInst. Membership does not end automatically with what is considered the physical death of a member."

(http://imminst.org/a...stitution.php#a)

Of course understanding, whichever comes first.

Sound macabre, yes?

Hahahaha and hehehehe.

Susma

PS to BJKlein: Are you trying to be sardonic? Hahaha and hehehe?

Posted Image

bjklein.jpg (von fachschaft.informatik.fh-muenchen.de/ mitglied...)

After all the messages in re Chip vs Prometheus, a humor respite, okay? Incidentally, can anyone teach me how to position an image better?

#3 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:07 AM

I'm the other guy ;)

Posted Image

http://images.google...:en&sa=N&tab=wi

You can include html to center

<p align="center"> image </p>

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 susmariosep

• 1,137 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:50 AM

I know that, just trying to be funny;
hope you don't mind.

Well, when are you guys in the topmost echelon of the directorate coming out with something to appease Chip, or to show that Prometheus is without guile.

Something like a rebuke, a reprimand, a censure, or just a slap on the wrist? or tell the world that Prometheus is, as I said, awfully misunderstood -- you can vouch for his good faith.

On a related front, what about it, a kind of committee of internal affairs to keep the patrolmen here in line, composed of people who don't post but at least visit once a week, or make themselves available to receive grievances of non-influential posters here?

Sorry for the deviation, but I am glad to get your attention in this unorthodox manner. I don't go for PM's; if something can't be said in the open forums, don't bother saying it then.

Susma

#5 susmariosep

• 1,137 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 11:21 PM

More ethical and theological considerations.

Your invited speaker, one of them, Dr. Mellon, chaplain of a Mennonite old folks home, will talk on the ethical and theological considerations in the quest for immortality.

Being a postgraduate Catholic and having studied in Catholic institutions from nursery to college, I think I can venture to pre-empt him on the ethical and theological considerations, and may I add implications, of the quest for immortality.

The man will start from Genesis, on the account of Adam and Eve disobeying God by partaking of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of what? good and evil.

I have to look up the biblical text again, but I think basically that is at least the popular narration of what we now call the original sin, how it was committed by our first parents.

When I was in grade school I used to make fun of the story, telling the sisters and fathers and brothers that it is called original sin: because it is patented and copyrighted, so that all other sins are imitation sins.

So, the first ethical and theological consideration (ETC) is that death is a punishment for sin, the offense of disobedience to a command of God, a prohibition against eating from the tree which is now called the tree of the forbidden fruit.

You see, Dr. Mellon will tell the audience of maybe people who don't know what is in fact the substratum of Christendom and Christianity, we were not made for this kind of a life and death, we were created by God for immortality, unending life to be spent in the leisurely study of all life forms aside from our own, and of course all the universe of creation. It's the fault of our first parents, that we are now in what is called an imperfect world.

How is Dr. Mellon going to reconcile the declared purpose of ImmInst Org with the ethical and theological dogma about death being a punishment from God?

Consider an inmate in death row, ImmInst Org is going to get the dead man walking, to get him walking out of death row.

If ImmInst Org is doing that kind of an activity in prison, then it is into something illegal and contra government.

But ImmInst Org is actually in the business of getting people to escape death, in which case it is an unethical and immoral institution, for being in contradiction to the theological foundation of Christendom, which we are all dwelling and operating in, namely, that dogma that death is a sentence of God on Adam and Eve and by inheritance on mankind.

I will attempt a reconciliation in my succeeding posts here.

Susma

#6 susmariosep

• 1,137 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:13 PM

Nov 5, 2005 - ImmInst Atlanta Life Extension Conf.
Ethical and Theological Considerations, Brad F. Mellon, Ph.D.
Thread posted by BJKlein: Jul 21 2005-22:29

Is this merely an announcement or is it also an invitation to share views about ethical and theological considerations on the quest for immortality?

Since it is in a forum and there is a box above and below about adding reply, so I guess it is also an invitation to post reactions to the topic of ethical and theological considerations (ETC) of life extension.

My first impression on reading the title of this thread by BJKlein was that it seems to be out of place here in this forum of I am inclined to suspect, almost exclusively people who are not into ethical considerations much less theological, why?

Because their #1 concern is scientific knowledge on how to attain life continuation for indefinite duration.

Of course it is obvious that BJKlein who is certainly involved in a very important measure in the organization of the conference on life extension, that the inclusion of a religious professional, a chaplain of an old folks, is designed to angle for people of the Christian faith and ethical school to join the conference. The more attendants the better, for the organizers. Number spells success.

For my part I will continue to post here my own views about the ETC of man's quest for immortality in this earthly life, not of course in the credal world of the next one postulated in religion.

Susma

#7 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 08:44 PM

Video of Brad's presentation:
http://www.imminst.o...1&t=8656&hl=&s=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users