• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Turning a broken tablet into a desktop computer

tablet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:18 AM

Basically I've stood on the screen, it's a extremely fast good tablet too, a super good buy for only 40 pound, a gig ram, never was slow for anything, 16 gig harddrive.

I connected the micro hdmi, to the TV hdmi, port, added a USB hub to the Micro USB big female normal size USB cable so I can connect any device to it, so I got a USB keyboard and mouse running on it. I could add a USB flash disk to add extra kinda slow ram but it works in a way, and my terabyte hard drive.

Android is a bit annoying for desktop use so I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu or find a better Launcher for android, still scrolling is a bit annoying I can't click at the top and then suddenly go up, also selecting and copying text is annoying and optimised for a smartscreen.

Anyway in the end this is like a extremely cheap desktop like computer and extremely handy, it's something I Def needed on top of the tablet and phone.

#2 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:17 PM

I did this too and you can use the built in bluetooth to run the mouse and keyboard instead of usb and that way save the ports for other devices as needed.  I picked up a small bluetooth keyboard that has a built in touch pad so that it works a little better with the touch screen environment.  A problem is that even if you have the HD resolution you will never have the GPU power of a regular desktop when driving a larger screen but as a work station it does fine. You can also set up one of the free office platforms for Android and that will probably cover most of your needs in that respect.  

BTW the speakers are easy if your headphone jack is undamaged.  

If you have a micro SD port you can expand the usable memory cheaply now. I also wonder if you could connect a second device (like a modified outdated smartphone) through the usb as a charging port but also as a second monitor in a cloned monitor configuration, where you can operate the touch screen interface on the second device instead of a touchpad.  Anyway, I think this a good use of space and the wireless aspects can reduce the amount clutter on the desk when using it. Also does your tablet come with a docking port connector on the side like my Nexus and the Sony's?

If it does then you can get one online for it and throw it on there.  It will provide a powered hub for a lot of the connectivity you are looking for.

sponsored ad

• Advert

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tablet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users