• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Alternatives to curing nail fungus (Thymol side effects?)

fucking ugly nail

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:00 PM

So I was given a prescription for a very expensive fungal polish, I believe it was penlac but I do not wish to pay out of pocket for this.

I have some yellowing of three toes on one of my feet, which has been like that approximately 5 years. 

In my search for alternative (homeopathic) remedies for this issue I have fumbled into something called Fungi fix, which contains isopropyl alcohol and Thymol, the chemical name for Thyme. 

I am using this twice a day as a polish on my nails, already noticing a slight difference after two weeks. 

But are there any potentially hazardous side effects of thymol if it seeps into my skin? I am not sure what the exact concentration is so I cannot say what the dose is I am getting but many people swear by its effectiveness in curing nail fungus within months. 

Also, what are some other alternative/homeopathic cures for this problem? 

#2 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:41 PM

http://shop.owndoc.c...-pg1-cid45.html

I don't know more about this than the site says, but at least their customer service was good when I ordered my c60 there.

As for nail fungi: They are hardy, hardy little pests. After trying a lot of alternatives, I got rid of mine (on the small toe) only after a 2 month course of oral terbinafin. today I would probably not do this again, but I don't think that the alternative/traditional treatments will help.

Maybe you can find some topical cheap Terbinafine, Fluconazol, Itraconazol etc. It doesn't have to be (expensive) nail polish IMHO, if you roughen up the nail with a file before application. They should all be lipophilic enough to penetrate.

Edited by shp5, 23 November 2014 - 03:00 PM.

• Needs references x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 adak

• 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:15 AM

I used neem tea 3 times a day. for a month.

The nail fungus disappeared.  ( side effect)

#4 FrankEd

• 148 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:42 AM

Are there any REALLY alternatives to cure toe nail fungus BESIDES oral medication? Many people have liver problems and aren´t able to tolerate terbinafine, fluconazole and others.

I read that laser beam have a very low level of cure at all.

Wish to have an answer to that.

#5 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:13 AM

I used neem tea 3 times a day. for a month.

The nail fungus disappeared.  ( side effect)

Neem tea? 

#6 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:16 AM

Side note.

I heard resting the feet in a bed of water and vinegar for 20 minutes a day is suppose to yield results. 

I am considering it. 

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:38 AM

There are some new topical drugs that are supposed to work, but if you think penlac is expensive, these new ones will take your breath away.  The insane cost suggests to me that they actually work, since alternative treatments are expensive (IR Laser) and/or don't work very well if at all.  Sorry, but I don't have the names of the new pharmaceuticals on hand.  From a Cochrane Review on fungal infections of the skin and nails of the foot:

Evidence for the management of topical treatments for management of dermatophyte infections of the toenails was sparser and the studies are small. There was some evidence that ciclopiroxolamine and butenafine are both effective but they both needed to be applied daily for prolonged periods (at least one year).

#8 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 06:46 AM

Rip your nails out and use a strong antiseptic and fungicide everyday? 

#9 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:27 AM

since I had to cancel an oral course of terbinafine due to skin problems I'm gonna try it with Lugols in DMSO. Will report back here.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#10 RWhigham

• 509 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:42 AM

Dip or soak feet in white vinegar frequently--especially always after they have gotten wet. Fungus loves water. Avoid getting feet wet except with vinegar. Fill a spray bottle with white vinegar and spray it on often (every time you pee for example). Easiest if you can wear sandals.

#11 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:32 AM

I rub tea tree oil on it daily and keep the nail short. After some weeks the fungus gets visibly smaller and after two months it's gone.

#12 MidwestGreg

• 37 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:07 PM

People have been using providine iodine in various formulations with some success. Iodine can be found in a non-staining formulation. 1% - 7.5% iodine solutions, with/without DSMO, drilling holes in the nail, etc. have been used. It seems like it takes quite a few months to cure. Way back in the day, I heard of people soaking their toes in anti-freeze to kill the fungus. I don’t know if that is still applicable as the anti-freeze formula has changed over the years. Some links: https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4599634/ https://moldsafesolutions.com/iodine/ https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/articles/fighting-nail-fungus-with-otc-solutions

#13 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:04 PM

since I had to cancel an oral course of terbinafine due to skin problems I'm gonna try it with Lugols in DMSO. Will report back here.

the staining is really irritating and the nail does not seem to get better. could not find additive-free non staining iodine solution or any guide on how to make one. adding vitamin c would work, no idea though if this would affect antifungal properties.

Switched to 20% tea-trea - 20% Urea - 60% DMSO. The urea dissolves the infected nail very effectively, I must say.

Edited by shp5, 14 May 2020 - 07:06 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 Drumchops

• 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 07:51 PM

Colloidal Silver gel maybe? Seems to be working for me, but I just started using it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users