- - - - -

Specific supplements for a breakup?

love romance breakup

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:04 PM

The aspects of being in a relationship are similar so far as your brain goes as being on a drug.  You have additiction, withdrawal, and all the mindsets you go through are related to dopamine, adrenaline, vasopressin, serotonin, norepinephrine, etc.  The feeling of missing the person is like needing your next dose.  WHen you're with the person it's the rush of being high.  There is even a substance in the brain that causes you to overlook their flaws (ni the beginning).  Love is a sophisticated experience for you.

When you have a breakup it can be like withdrawal.

Is it feasible to use supplements that can be helpful for withdrawal from drugs to get through a breakup?

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2 rebecca123

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:20 PM

I am in the same situation, unfortunately :( 

I think 5htp, raw chocolate/phenethylamine and fish oil are somewhat working to ease the depression.
Tried psychedelics as well but you shouldn't take them in a bad state of mind imo, only leads to a bad trip. It did not bring me any more insights except for negative ones.
Things I still want to try are cat's claw and bacopa.

Edited by rebecca123, 26 November 2014 - 05:21 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:21 PM

Your next exposure to new, exciting, Item-X will make you forget the last exposure to previous, lost, Item-X.

#4 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:30 AM

ssris are the best drugs for a break up. by faaaaaaaaaaaar. in my experience

#5 GoingPrimal

• 264 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:20 PM

I agree with Trance, find something new that excites you, all the merrier if it is a romantic interest.

As you said love is a complex thing, so the missing of a loved one may be complex as well. In TCM they use Albizzia flower as a general mood lifter and specifically for loss of a loved one. I found it did indeed help noticeably with my last break up but it's no magic pill. I made a thread called Surprising Success with Shen Substances if you want a few details, or pm me.

I personally am slow to go the anti-depressant route. Raw cacao/fish oil as stated above might help, kava can be good for these things but you may find it a bit sedating.

The hard times in life are just as essential as the good times, I hope you manage well friend.
  • like x 2

#6 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:32 PM

You are going to have an Oxytocin withdrawal so I recommend getting a massage frequently and hugging your mom!

• Cheerful x 1

#7 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:48 PM

Be a slut for a little while.  Only thing that helps significantly in my own experience. :)

#8 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:26 AM

If you find something that works, please come back and update. It's been a year, and while I've considerably improved "the rest" of my mood (if that makes sense), that part is still devastating. Slutting it up ain't gonna work as the machinery doesn't really respond.

#9 rebecca123

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:52 AM

I feel for you. I agree, meeting others does not work if you're truly heartbroken, it only rubs salt in the wound. I don't understand why people always recommend it. It's almost sadistic.
I recently tried alpha gpc; for most it makes them more depressive. I also got very angry and depressed from choline bitrate, but I was not any more depressed from alpha gpc unless I take too much and it's said to release dopamine/making dopamine receptors more dense and it's also good for cognitive improvement which is basically the opposite of irrational feelings like lovesickness so you can try that along with maybe other nootropics if you haven't already tried them. 
Medicineman, I am very happy ssris worked for your mood, I used to be taking ssri myself but I had the idea I felt better after QUITTING them... mentally that is... (It makes you horribly tired, but I guess it will pass). I don't think ssri are good for mood in the long run at all in cases like me (besides it makes every psychedelic do nothing at all or make the trip plain horrible lol). I probably need to be going back to my ssri because of an anxiety disorder but I'll try to take a very low dose this time.

Something that also recently helped me is more a change in thoughts, focussing on everything that wasn't good about the relationship. I never thought I would be able to come up with anything at all, when you're in love you think that person is perfect. However if they were they wouldn't have broken up with you in the first place. I dwelled on that in the wrong way, thinking that he was perfect except for the tiny thing that made him not in love with me anymore. But it wasn't a tiny thing at all. Actually when I think about t now I don't want to have anything to do with him in a romantic sense anymore. I guess you could say I fell out of love. But I hate that term, it means weakness, as if feelings are doomed to be uncontrollable. People love saying things are uncontrollable yet they love blaming you for not getting over the uncontrollable. I hate that hypocritical way of thinking. 

I still can't say I'm happy. I'm depressed because the idea of love, the fantasy, is gone and I don't think it will ever come back with anyone (I'm usually not the falling-in-love-type). What helps me is that I started to see life as some kind of necessary intermediate step and no total fulfillment. Maybe there's some kind of heaven, maybe there isn't. But I think the modern idea of "life is what you make it, and therefore it should be happy" just doesn't apply for most people. I used to attribute beliefs to that fact, such as "I apparently don't deserve to be happy" or "life is unfair", but that's irrational as well. If everything you wanted in life was to have a happy relationship and it didn't work out and you don't think it will ever work out with anyone else, finding your life at least bearable on your own is the only solution that's left. But that's also the most difficult thing, so you have to find another purpose in life. 

Edited by rebecca123, 07 December 2014 - 11:30 AM.

#10 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:59 AM

Cannabis'
  • like x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#11 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:35 PM

5HT1a agonists release oxytocin. The only things I can think of are Buspar, Brintellix and Viibryd, none of which are supplements.

Beyond that, I honestly recommend meditation to help deal with the emotions in this situation. Try this exercise specifically:

http://bit.ly/1yPWfPO

To learn to separate your thoughts from the emotional impact they can have.

I also like to remind myself that their are 3.5 billion people in the world of the opposite sex (the number also holds for the same sex), and that I am very likely to be able to share the emotions I had with this person, with someone else. Even if I have to wait a bit.

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 10 December 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#12 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:10 PM

Opioids are incredibly useful for acute breakup misery.  Pity they are addictive, but they are IMO not necessarily any worse for you than SSRIs, which are really from the devil.  :) 

I would second the cannabis suggestion though.  A relatively harmless and nonaddictive drug that gives fast relief. 

#13 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:21 PM

"Opioids are incredibly useful for acute breakup misery.  Pity they are addictive, but they are IMO not necessarily any worse for you than SSRIs, which are really from the devil."

I rarely act like this on forums, and I am saying this because of the gravity of what you are saying: please shut the **** up, you have no idea what you are talking about. Just because your anecdotal evidence has shown you that SSRIs don't agree with you, does not mean you should ****ing be going on forums and recommend people take opiates for breakup pain. Sure, you aren't recommending them per se, but by stating that they are "not necessarily worse than SSRIs", you might as well be. You are also showing your blaring ignorance when you say shit like that.

Please think before you type.

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 10 December 2014 - 10:22 PM.

• like x 2

#14 Steve Zissou

• 91 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:20 AM

Try taking 1 gram of acetaminophen a day. after a couple of days you should feel much better.

#15 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:43 PM

"Opioids are incredibly useful for acute breakup misery.  Pity they are addictive, but they are IMO not necessarily any worse for you than SSRIs, which are really from the devil."

I rarely act like this on forums, and I am saying this because of the gravity of what you are saying: please shut the **** up, you have no idea what you are talking about. Just because your anecdotal evidence has shown you that SSRIs don't agree with you, does not mean you should ****ing be going on forums and recommend people take opiates for breakup pain. Sure, you aren't recommending them per se, but by stating that they are "not necessarily worse than SSRIs", you might as well be. You are also showing your blaring ignorance when you say shit like that.

Please think before you type.

My post was really disrecommending opioids for being addictive.  But really, we are not children here, and I disagree with your idea that we should self-censor as if everything we said should be suitable for a 12-year old. 

But let's take seriously for a moment the comparison with SSRIs.  Opioids certainly have their dangers, but they are not known for causing suicide or cardiovascular side effects (as SSRIs are). Opioids provide immediate relief and are suitable for a limited few days' or weeks' safe use without creating dependency, whereas SSRIs can take a couple of months to provide relief, IF they do (mostly they won't) which might as well be an eternity for acute breakup pain.   By that time the SSRIs has already caused dependency, by the way, and most SSRIs have a much longer and (in some people, as terrible or worse) withdrawal syndrome as opioids do. 

Edited by nowayout, 12 December 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#16 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:31 AM

The suicide risk for SSRIs is extremely low, though extant. The levels of dependency between SSRIs and Opiates are not in the same league. In extreme cases people will break their bones to get opiates if they are going through enough withdrawal. Please, just stop.

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 13 December 2014 - 02:32 AM.

• dislike x 1

#17 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2023 - 11:19 PM

emotional problems can only be dealt with thoughts and meditating helps you think. cant love someone that doesnt love you

#18 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:19 PM

The suicide risk for SSRIs is extremely low, though extant. The levels of dependency between SSRIs and Opiates are not in the same league. In extreme cases people will break their bones to get opiates if they are going through enough withdrawal. Please, just stop.

Unfortunately PSSD is a real thing for SSRIs, even with short term use for some people. Something to consider.

Maybe just working your way through your emotions without chemical help is the best in the long term.

We've gotten to the point where we think we need to medicate what are really normal and transient issues of life.

• like x 1

#19 stockcarman

• 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2023 - 05:01 PM

A few shot of whiskey straight .

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 Sartac

• 80 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2023 - 10:21 PM

I see that this is another old thread recently bumped, however it seems a useful one.

Regarding attachment or addiction, as it was referred to earlier, redirecting focus toward healthy habits and exercise are some ways to essentially take your mind off of the loss while improving conditions. Other areas of focus could be employment or changes, finance, environment or location, however it's best to not do anything drastic without careful, logical consideration.

Don't try to repress feelings with drugs or supplements, unless they're either something recommended medically or part of a health regime.

Talk it out if you feel the need.

Edited by sartac, 03 February 2023 - 10:22 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: love, romance, breakup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users