* * * * * 1 votes

Supplements really effective

supplement study

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lamirp

• 6 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:34 PM

Hello everyone, this time I have great difficulty in the study, because not long ago I had a trauma and after it I no longer studied. At this time I would like to start over with the study but when I put on the books concepts escape me and fail to concentrate sufficiently.
I tried different supplements including:
Piracetam - totally ineffective, I can not understand how someone can benefit
Fish oil - Greet, but you can not in any way effect on cognition
Acetyl L-carnitine - Probably an excellent antioxidant but the results on cognition totally nonexistent
Noopept - Improving cognitive exceptional, vision more clear and defined, but you kidding? No effect.
DMAE, Theanine, Tyrosine, Choline, Green Tea, Phosphatidylserine, Vitamins - All these = waste of money

Therefore, I ask myself these nootropics but really have a potential? work for you? In any case, my case could be more serious than expected and I could not respond to the supplements, in any case what I could try that also has a slight effect that is evident. Pramiracetam perhaps?

Thank you

• dislike x 2
  • like x 1

#2 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:33 PM

I had a little euphoria when taking Noopept.

Hard to describe, it was Spring/Summer and it potentiatd this spring feeling.

However I´ve taken it just a few times, so I cant definite say anything about the longterm effects nor any further effects.

Acetylcarnitine was somewhat moodimproving. Cant say much about anxiety relieving effects because this isnt a big issue, but I would say at least a bit.

Theanine is the most useless supplement for me, namely in a way that I barely cant believe the positive reports.

It makes me a bit dull and thats all. No cognition or mood improving effects.

I´ve taken Fishoil quiet irregular sometimes 3 grams and sometimes just 1 gram with breaks.

I cant report anything about a betterment in cognition, though You would feel it only when You have a strong deficit.

Anyway, the only effects were that I was a bit more sleepy the day after.

On the otherhand, I´ve read that acute effects (so the first days) do reduce the severity of positive symptoms in Schizophrenia and after 3 Months ( I guess) it starts working for negative symptoms.

Same thing for phosphatidlyserine, I didnt noticed anything exept to fall a bit easier asleep.

I cant say much about green tea because I have allways the panic to thinn the blood too much because I take some herbs and supplements on ocassion which do also thinn the blood on a different way.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Lamirp

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:34 PM

Otherhand? What do you mean?

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1

#4 Synzael

• 27 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:44 PM

N-acetyl-semax!, Centrophenoxine + phenylpiracetam, coluracetam, noopept, and IDRA-21 are all ones i would suggest alongside primaracetam. Modafinil is popular too

• dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#5 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:53 PM

Otherhand? What do you mean?

You are welcome.

I mean with "on the other hand" that Studies show a effect of Fishoil in positive and negative symptoms in schizophrenia

but the effects are for me nearly at the placebo level.

I´m not Schizophrenic but have some apathy and I´m somehow introverted. It should at least work to an extend (like Sarcosine), but it doesnt.

Basically its about a striking contrast between the papers which claim improvement and that what I´ve experienced.

#6 3mp0w3r

• 79 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:23 PM

A big chunk of the papers that people quote are actually not really great science.  Many of them will be riddled with bias or small sample size, poor design, bad statistics etc.  Many of them are also not published in peer reviewed journals that actually have any recognition (impact factor etc).  Even if there is a well designed study, with a sample representative of the population, it is still just one study.  Evidence based research requires a consensus.  So that takes multiple well designed studies that are in agreement.  That is why a meta analysis of randomized control studies is considered ideal.  Unfortunately many of things that people discuss on here are relatively new and will not have the research.  

In many ways, nootropics have similarities with bodybuilding supplements.  As a teen, there was always some new product that was quoted to either get you massive or lean. However, there wasn't much research to back any of it up.  With many of the supplements promoted as the next big thing, there was always a reason behind it that made sense.  (ie.  L-carnitine is a shuttle for fatty acids into the mitochondria, therefore as a supplement you will burn off all your fat).  In the end protein powder, creatine, and a few other basic supplements were the only ones what stood the test of time. I suspect modafinil will be one of those when referring to wakefulness, but not sure about memory.

http://www.longecity...pose-nootropic/

• Good Point x 1

#7 Mr. Pink

• 226 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:23 AM

A big chunk of the papers that people quote are actually not really great science.  Many of them will be riddled with bias or small sample size, poor design, bad statistics etc.  Many of them are also not published in peer reviewed journals that actually have any recognition (impact factor etc).  Even if there is a well designed study, with a sample representative of the population, it is still just one study.  Evidence based research requires a consensus.  So that takes multiple well designed studies that are in agreement.  That is why a meta analysis of randomized control studies is considered ideal.  Unfortunately many of things that people discuss on here are relatively new and will not have the research.  

In many ways, nootropics have similarities with bodybuilding supplements.  As a teen, there was always some new product that was quoted to either get you massive or lean. However, there wasn't much research to back any of it up.  With many of the supplements promoted as the next big thing, there was always a reason behind it that made sense.  (ie.  L-carnitine is a shuttle for fatty acids into the mitochondria, therefore as a supplement you will burn off all your fat).  In the end protein powder, creatine, and a few other basic supplements were the only ones what stood the test of time. I suspect modafinil will be one of those when referring to wakefulness, but not sure about memory.

http://www.longecity...pose-nootropic/

you're spot on about this, except that with bodybuilding there's steroids/doping that stood the test of time, and that's about it. Creatine and protein won't take you very far unless you have good genetics to begin with. The problem is there's no analogy to steroids for memory enhancement and while the problem is that the reality is we don't know what will help, due to lack of systematically reduplicated research, but we can't just sit around waiting for the research to appear, we gotta try things out.

• Off-Topic x 1

#8 3mp0w3r

• 79 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:27 AM

you're spot on about this, except that with bodybuilding there's steroids/doping that stood the test of time, and that's about it. Creatine and protein won't take you very far unless you have good genetics to begin with. The problem is there's no analogy to steroids for memory enhancement and while the problem is that the reality is we don't know what will help, due to lack of systematically reduplicated research, but we can't just sit around waiting for the research to appear, we gotta try things out.

Yes, I know that we have no choice currently.  Trial and error is basically what I am doing now.  I am noticing that many things have limited results though so there will be many wasted efforts.  

I still see many parallels with bodybuilding supplements and how they are discussed/marketed (was purposely avoiding mentioning test, GH etc).  Back when I was training hard, I tried all sorts of stuff before I realised that  >90% of it simply made minimal difference.  Hopefully we will figure out what the brain building equivalents of test and GH are.

• Off-Topic x 1

#9 Lamirp

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:49 AM

You are off topic, do not interest me your arguments. Anyway I found very interesting Semax since it seems to be a viable long-term solution. Increases BDNF and NGF more of any other. The possible risk of down regulating receptors Trk A-B is to limit the intake to 3 days per week. Let me know what you think.

Edited by Invest of creativity, 09 February 2015 - 09:53 AM.

• Unfriendly x 2

#10 Synzael

• 27 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:53 AM

It's mechanism is quite fascinating. Many nootropics increase BDNF but they don't modulate it's signalling receptor tkrb like semax.
  • dislike x 1

#11 JellyRev

• 71 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:09 PM

mod/adrafinil and alpha GPC I can attest for as cognitive increasers. Also Caffeine and nicotine but those are already widely used and in nicotine's case controversial for positive health. 

I usually would take taurine with my alpha-gpc. 

There is a debate on the best choline source and I think it is alpha-gpc. The other main contender is cdp-choline and another contender ALCAR.  

cdpcholine induces depressive effects in some people and I am included in those people.  

choline bitartrate is junk, you'd get better results with eggs and liver.  

Small effect for pitolisant and sulbutiamine

Most others I have tried have no effect or a negative effect on memory/cognition. 

I cannot attest to the more experimental drugs such as the NSI class, PRL class, cerebrolysin, semax and any other experimentals from ceretropics, nor can I attest to any ADHD class of drug(amphetamines+buddies) 

From ancedotal reports around here and other places some drugs/supps to try would be NSI-189, cerebrolysin, semax and perhaps CILTEP. 

Honestly just waiting to read ancedotal reports from dihexa

• Agree x 1

#12 Lamirp

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:04 PM

Then modafinil really not for me, is a promoter of the wake and I'm interested in something that is acting on cognition. Probably choline has an effect on cognition and is worth trying. Thank you.

#13 xls

• 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:45 PM

A lot of nootropics arent super effective ojn already health individuals, look into stress-based enhancers (stress the body a little, body recovers, comes back stronger) like LLLT and N-back

• Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#14 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 May 2022 - 10:09 PM

Nootropics only work effectively if you are badly deficient because of disease or health issues.You also need to find the specific one for you. It will only work short term if your lack of cognitive function is mind related and not bilogical.

Edited by kurdishfella, 02 May 2022 - 10:12 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 30 May 2022 - 07:52 AM

Nootropics are only effective for me on stimulants there has been some research showing that racetams don’t work for alzheimer because off a noradrenaline defiency

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supplement, study

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users