- - - - -

DMSO toxicity

dmso brain toxic apoptosis walla walla washington

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:35 AM

Would anyone with relevant experience care to comment on these toxicity studies for DMSO? Seems to make the stuff a non-starter, particularly given the CNS damage at 0.3 mL/kg dose (in mice, so HED might even be lower... a few mL for an adult human).
Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) produces widespread apoptosis in the developing central nervous system.

Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) is a solvent that is routinely used as a cryopreservative in allogous bone marrow and organ transplantation. We exposed C57Bl/6 mice of varying postnatal ages (P0-P30) to DMSO in order to study whether DMSO could produce apoptotic degeneration in the developing CNS. DMSO produced widespread apoptosis in the developing mouse brain at all ages tested. Damage was greatest at P7. Significant elevations above the background rate of apoptosis occurred at the lowest dose tested, 0.3 ml/kg. In an in vitro rat hippocampal culture preparation, DMSO produced neuronal loss at concentrations of 0.5% and 1.0%. The ability of DMSO to damage neurons in dissociated cultures indicates that the toxicity likely results from a direct cellular effect. Because children, who undergo bone marrow transplantation, are routinely exposed to DMSO at doses higher than 0.3 ml/kg, there is concern that DMSO might be producing similar damage in human children.

Unexpected low-dose toxicity of the universal solvent DMSO.

Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) is an important aprotic solvent that can solubilize a wide variety of otherwise poorly soluble polar and nonpolar molecules. This, coupled with its apparent low toxicity at concentrations <10%, has led to its ubiquitous use and widespread application. Here, we demonstrate that DMSO induces retinal apoptosis in vivo at low concentrations (5 μl intravitreally dosed DMSO in rat from a stock concentration of 1, 2, 4, and 8% v/v). Toxicity was confirmed in vitro in a retinal neuronal cell line, at DMSO concentrations >1% (v/v), using annexin V, terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase dUTP nick end labeling (TUNEL), 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide (MTT), and AlamarBlue cell viability assays. DMSO concentrations >10% (v/v) have recently been reported to cause cellular toxicity through plasma membrane pore formation. Here, we show the mechanism by which low concentrations (2-4% DMSO) induce caspase-3 independent neuronal death that involves apoptosis-inducing factor (AIF) translocation from mitochondria to the nucleus and poly-(ADP-ribose)-polymerase (PARP) activation. These results highlight safety concerns of using low concentrations of DMSO as a solvent for in vivo administration and in biological assays. We recommend that methods other than DMSO are employed for solubilizing drugs but, where no alternative exists, researchers compute absolute DMSO final concentrations and include an untreated control group in addition to DMSO vehicle control to check for solvent toxicity.

(emphasis mine)

#2 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:21 PM

My latest DMSO experience:
I wrenched my traps / pinched my neck doing military press yesterday. Had the pins set too low and dropped the bar down too low after the final rep. Heard my collarbone make a popping noise and felt a sharp pain in my neck around t2. I decided to try the dmso from dmso.bz that had been sitting in the fridge for a few years. I washed my neck and upper back with purified water and a clean towel. I diluted the dmso by 3 parts water and soaked a wad of paper towels in the end and aplied to my neck and traps best I could. After an hour or so not much effect, neck still stiffening, pain still bad. This kind of injury has set me back 3 weeks before.

I could not feel much heat or any obvious spinal issue with my fingers back there, but this kind of injury will get worse over the next few hours in my experience. Next I tried the same dmso but full strength. Definate itching which I ignored...not scratching an itch is a mental test right? Very mild garlic taste, and wired feeling like 4 cups of coffee (don't use).

The stiffness and pain did not get worse, but subsided a bit so I could turn my head maybe 80% to the right 90% to the left when previsously it was like 65 / 75. I aplied once more, 2 hours later and the result seemed the same. I noticed the skin was very soft where I applied the dmso, appetite was zero and insides were rumbling. Then had 2 bouts of fairly severe diahhrea. Abdomen was soft (not rigid)

Today the injury is suprisingly on its way to healing. Thinking about applying again but concerned about the diahhrea. Also noticed some odd very red skin on 3 or 4 of my toes this morning after showering which is strange. No significant body odor or blurry vision (opposite actually) which is better than other dmso experiences.

Still I cannot be sure if its has helped or I just did not injure myself as badly as I thought. But there its is....

Edited by zorba990, 24 May 2015 - 05:33 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:24 AM

I still haven't figured out why people are using DMSO with their Dihexa, especially since Dihexa passes the gut and BBB at high levels. If your bent on increasing absorption you could probably do well with just piperine, and a meal high in olive oil and washed down with grapefruit juice.
  • Off-Topic x 2

#4 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:27 PM

I've used DMSO very intermittently since high school (over 20 years) and have found it works best diluted with distilled water and I am always careful to clean the area of application.

Personally, I have experienced no noticeable harmful effects or signs of toxicity, though a non-diluted dose has caused skin irritation like what you describe.

I think it works wonders on the swelling that accompanies mild soft tissue injuries like sprained ankles but would not use it on a regular basis to mask the pain of a more serious injury.  

Also, the bad breath (and its really, really bad-- room clearing bad) can be mitigated by diluting and using sparingly.

Oh, I've wondered why in the world people are using it with Dihexa too?!

• Good Point x 1

#5 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:10 PM

This is interesting:

http://www.dmso.org/...ence 112210.pdf

Methyl Sulfone Induces Loss of Metastatic Properties and Reemergence of Normal Phenotypes in a Metastatic Cloudman S-91 (M3) Murine Melanoma Cell Line
Joan McIntyre Caron, Marissa Bannon, Lindsay Rosshirt, Jessica Luis, Luke Monteagudo, John M. Caron, Gerson Marc Sternstein Department of Cell Biology, School of Medicine, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, Connecticut, United States of America

Abstract
Background: The most deadly form of cancer is not lung or colon, breast or prostate; it is any cancer that has become metastatic. Mortality due to metastatic melanoma, one of the most aggressive and deadly cancers, has increased steadily over the last several decades. Unfortunately, the arsenal of chemotherapeutic agents available today is most often unsuccessful at extending and improving the life expectancy of afflicted individuals. We sought to identify an effective and nontoxic agent against metastatic melanoma.

#6 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:11 AM

I attached something that may help this discussion.

Attached Files

• Attached File  DMSO.pdf   668.82KB   63 downloads

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 28 May 2015 - 01:11 AM.

#7 tolerant

• 470 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:09 PM

I find the results of the first study referred to by the topic starter as very disturbing. If you're trying to solve a neurological or psychiatric problem (and hippocampal neurogenesis) is still the predominant theory of depression and a major target for other mood and cognitive disorder, dissolving a substance which promotes neurogenesis in a compound which produces neuronal loss in the hippocampus is downright scary. The only mitigating factor is that I haven't been able to find any published research replicating these findings, and the study appears to confine its conclusions to the developing (i.e. children's and adolescent) human brain.

Any thoughts?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 tolerant

• 470 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:37 AM

In private correspondence, one of the authors of the first of the abovementioned studies confirmed that the the toxicity found is confined to the human developing CNS: "Yes, our data indicate that this type of damage could be occurring in the human developing brain. From previous work in rodents we know that this type of damage does not occur in adult brains. The exact line where the damage stops occurring in humans is unknown at this time." [my emphasis]

When pressed on the issue of whether the toxicity could be occurring in the adult hippocampus, where neurogenesis continues to occur throughout a person's lifetime, the author confirmed that no toxicity was found in the adult hippocampus: "When we have looked at the adult hippocampus using our methods we have not seen this type of damage in the hippocampus." [my emphasis]

Edited by tolerant, 18 June 2016 - 02:21 AM.

• Informative x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dmso, brain, toxic, apoptosis, walla walla washington

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users