- - - - -

Memantine Side Effects

memantine nmda

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ovecta

• 68 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:38 PM

I've been taking Memantine daily at 20-30mg for the past 6 months now, I'm encountering some peculiar side effects when trying to increase this dosage to the desired 50-60 mg range. The two main side effects I'm experiencing are freezing cold limbs, like my hands and feet cannot tolerate any exposure to cold weather and will literally turn blue! And the other side effect is rapid weight loss, Its so bad that I have literally lost excessive weight which I'm desperately trying to put back on.

I'm not sure if these side effects are common as I've never read of anyone experiencing them when on a similar high dose, anyone have any experience they could share?

#2 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:21 AM

Never heard of these side-effects either.

On the other hand, I don't think I've seen anybody take more than 30 mg online - in fact, most people seem to be aiming for around 20 mg.

Why do you want to take such a high dose? Maybe it has to do with the dosing in itself. Why are you taking Memantine btw? To reverse tolerance of some other drug?

It might have to do with some unexpected interaction with something else you're taking as well - can you run us down with all, if any, other stuff that you're taking?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:14 PM

Since Memantine is agonist at the dopamine D2 receptor does that mean with discontinuation it can cause depleted dopamine levels and DAWS like dopamine antagonists can?

Edited by John250, 14 June 2018 - 10:15 PM.

#4 YOLF

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:30 AM

That's an interesting side effect that the OP had, I'm wondering if memantine can kill blood delivery to fat cells like Adipotide under some conditions. Adipotide causes pain where the fat cells are dying. Were you experiencing pain OP? Or just not eating?

#5 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 June 2018 - 05:53 PM

Adipotide Is very interesting but the recommended doses (28-35mg) makes it too costly to experiment with.

#6 YOLF

Posted 15 June 2018 - 05:59 PM

Sorry, off topic curiosity...

Edited by YOLF, 15 June 2018 - 06:41 PM.

#7 CoconutDi

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:45 PM

I've used memantine but never had weight loss to that degree. It does supress appetite a bit but in studies has never shown to cause weight loss.  Nonetheless, the weight loss is probably causing your intolerance to cold and giving you raynaud’s syndrome. Raynauds occurs when there is lack of blood flow to your limbs due to constriction of the blood vessels.    I have raynaud’s but really only acts up when I'm hypothyroid.  Have you had your thyroid checked for hyperthyroidism?  It could be related to something other than the memantine.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 YOLF

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:24 PM

From RxList:

• nauseavomitingdiarrheaconstipation, loss of appetite;
  • dizzinesstired feeling;
  • weight loss;
  • swelling in your hands or feet;
  • fast heart rate;
  • easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;
  • joint pain;
  • anxiety, aggression;

It acts on the hippocampus which regulates a good deal of metabolism. It's very possible that it could lead to weight loss, but I wouldn't think it would be useful for people without ALZ. It's really not something I would think that a healthy person should use. I've read that while it could potentially be used as a drug of abuse, that it isn't because it creates a very toxic feeling and that feeling is likely why it.doesn't produce sustainable results.

However, there is nothing stopping you from buying it, and personally, I think you're better off trying anything you might have to use someday and knowing how you will respond before you're helpless and people are making decisions for you. In observational hindsight, I've seen situations where this would have been beneficial.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: memantine, nmda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users