- - - - -

Foul odor,ashwagandha and propranolol.

foul odor ashwagandha rhodiola rosea propranolol hyperthyroidism ketoacidosis

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sol23

• 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:13 PM

Hello, so basically I've been using ashwagandha,rhodiola rosea(with breaks) and propanolol for performance anxiety.
The problem is that when I use this regimen I have this weird and bad odor coming from my pores.However,this happens occasionally during the day and not all the time.
I have come to the conclusion that there are two possible causes.

1) according to one study ashwagandha caused thyrotoxicosis to a 32-year-old woman http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16355578

another study shows changes in thyroid hormone concentrations after administration of ashwagandha root extract to adult male mice. http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9811169

2) there is a chance that propranolol  increased blood glucose and may caused ketoacidosis.

Considering the fact that I already have anxiety, this situation makes feel me even worse.From today I'm going to take gotu kola instead of ashwagandha and see If there are changes.
Is there anyone who has a similar experience with ashwagandha and propranolol or aware of the mechanisms that may lead to bad odor due to this regimen?

#2 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:01 PM

I think it is normal for the odour of herbs and spices to come through in the pores. I have not noticed any special skin odour from ashwagandha, but I daresay there is some, because the powders themselves can be quite intense in flavour.

What I have noticed is that ashwagandha can taste different according to the supplier. I tried one that really tasted rank, whereas others just tasted intense (perhaps they were fresher). I bet that rank one would have smelt horrible if it came through in the pores--and so my suggestion is to go by taste: if something tastes vile, likely it will smell vile in your sweat.

#3 Sol23

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for your input.Unfortunately the same thing happened after I stopped taking ashwagandha.More specifically, I took gotu kola for 4 days in the first week after stopping ashwagandha and for 3 days this week.The foul odor came back so I suspect that it has to do with ketoacidosis.Gotu kola is supposed to raise blood glucose and in conjunction with propranolol it made it worse.Does anyone know if changing to another beta blocker could eliminate the problem?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:54 AM

Ashwagandha literally means " the smell of a horse". You might want to get a blood test to confirm ketoacidosis.

#5 Sol23

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

Ashwagandha literally means " the smell of a horse". You might want to get a blood test to confirm ketoacidosis.

Yes, I'm aware of its name but I believe that is related to the scent of the plant itself.

#6 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:43 AM

sweat itself doesnt smell its the bacteria that reside in large amounts in body hair. take care of yourself better.

I have a theory that bacteria that stayv inside the skin and whole body infections can signal your body to grow excess hair in order for them to strive incase they are about to be killed off by immune system so they can regain power agan so to say when the immube system is weak again.

Edited by kurdishfella, 29 July 2020 - 08:03 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: foul odor, ashwagandha, rhodiola rosea, propranolol, hyperthyroidism, ketoacidosis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users