• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Thesis: Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Vitamin D May Control Brain Serotonin, Affecting Behavior and Psychiatric Disorders

serotonin vitamin d omega-3 epa dha adhd schizophrenia depression bipolar autism

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:16 PM

Interesting new thesis paper by Bruce Ames and Rhonda Patrick (whom many of you may know from her website FoundMyFitness or her appearance on the Joe Rogan Experience webcast). It postulates that omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) and Vitamin D may work in concert to increase the concentration of serotonin in the brain and on the synaptic cleft (similar to an SSRI) given the intake is sufficient:

Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Vitamin D May Control Brain Serotonin, Affecting Behavior and Psychiatric Disorders

Newswise — Oakland, CA (February 25, 2015) - Although essential marine omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D have been shown to improve cognitive function and behavior in the context of certain brain disorders, the underlying mechanism has been unclear. In a new paper published in FASEB Journal* by Rhonda Patrick, PhD and Bruce Ames, PhD of Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute (CHORI), serotonin is explained as the possible missing link tying together why vitamin D and marine omega-3 fatty acids might ameliorate the symptoms associated with a broad array of brain disorders.

In a previous paper published last year, authors Patrick and Ames discussed the implications of their finding that vitamin D regulates the conversion of the essential amino acid tryptophan into serotonin, and how this may influence the development of autism, particularly in developing children with poor vitamin D status.

Here they discuss the relevance of these micronutrients for neuropsychiatric illness. Serotonin affects a wide-range of cognitive functions and behaviors including mood, decision-making, social behavior, impulsive behavior, and even plays a role in social decision-making by keeping in check aggressive social responses or impulsive behavior.

Many clinical disorders, such as autism spectrum disorder (ASD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and depression share as a unifying attribute low brain serotonin. "In this paper we explain how serotonin is a critical modulator of executive function, impulse control, sensory gating, and pro-social behavior,” says Dr. Patrick. “We link serotonin production and function to vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids, suggesting one way these important micronutrients help the brain function and affect the way we behave.”

Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) increases serotonin release from presynaptic neurons by reducing inflammatory signaling molecules in the brain known as E2 series prostaglandins, which inhibit serotonin release and suggests how inflammation may negatively impact serotonin in the brain. EPA, however, is not the only omega-3 that plays a role in the serotonin pathway. Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) also influences the action of various serotonin receptors by making them more accessible to serotonin by increasing cell membrane fluidity in postsynaptic neurons.

Their paper illuminates the mechanistic links that explain why low vitamin D, which is mostly produced by the skin when exposed to sun, and marine omega-3 deficiencies interacts with genetic pathways, such as the serotonin pathway, that are important for brain development, social cognition, and decision-making, and how these gene-micronutrient interactions may influence neuropsychiatric outcomes. “Vitamin D, which is converted to a steroid hormone that controls about 1,000 genes, many in the brain, is a major deficiency in the US and omega-3 fatty acid deficiencies are very common because people don’t eat enough fish,” said Dr. Ames.

This publication suggests that optimizing intakes of vitamin D, EPA, and DHA would optimize brain serotonin concentrations and function, possibly preventing and ameliorating some of the symptoms associated with these disorders without side effects.

*Vitamin D and the Omega-3 Fatty Acids Control Serotonin Synthesis and Action Part 2: Relevance for ADHD, Bipolar, Schizophrenia, and Impulsive Behavior. FASEB Journal, 14-268342, Feb. 24, 2015

Here is a link to the full text PDF.

As implied by the title, this is the second part of a series of papers. The first part (PDF) focussed on the relation between vitamin D, serotonin and autism.

What's really nice about this thesis is that with the ongoing VITAL study there is a statistically well-powered, large-scale trial ideally suited to put it to the test. I hope Manson et al. will read this paper and look for psychatric disorders as secondary endpoints. Unfortunetaly, we will have to wait at least two more years for any results to be published...

Edited by timar, 05 March 2015 - 06:43 PM.

• Well Written x 1
  • unsure x 1
  • like x 1

#2 Blackkzeus

• 210 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:03 AM

A lot of this information conflicts with what Ray Peat, scientist and nutritionist, says about Serotonin and it's affects on the brain. I think he even claims Serotonin is inflammatory to the brain and advises against increasing any amount of it. It's super annoying when you find conflicting information on a subject. Not sure what to believe. Check out his article he wrote on Serotonin http://raypeat.com/a...ggression.shtml It's super interesting, he basically claims everything we've been taught about Serotonin is a lie made up by the pharmaceutical industry to increase the sales of SSRI's.

Edited by Ed Ntuk, 06 March 2015 - 01:08 AM.

• Good Point x 4
  • Agree x 2
  • Ill informed x 2
  • unsure x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:35 AM

A lot of this information conflicts with what Ray Peat, scientist and nutritionist, says about Serotonin and it's affects on the brain. I think he even claims Serotonin is inflammatory to the brain and advises against increasing any amount of it. It's super annoying when you find conflicting information on a subject. Not sure what to believe. Check out his article he wrote on Serotonin http://raypeat.com/a...ggression.shtml It's super interesting, he basically claims everything we've been taught about Serotonin is a lie made up by the pharmaceutical industry to increase the sales of SSRI's.

I'm too lazy to read, but I hope he isn't insisting SSRIs don't work.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2

#4 Blackkzeus

• 210 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:25 AM

You should read the article, it's worth it. 

#5 timar

• Topic Starter
  • 768 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

A lot of this information conflicts with what Ray Peat, ... Not sure what to believe.

What a question! Whom to believe... Ray Peat, a notorious crackpot and internet guru with zero credibility in nutritional science or neurology or Bruce Ames, one of the world's most renowned senior biochemists? But that's not even the quesion. Ray Peat's "theories" (self-important drivel) conflicts not only with this paper but also with 95% of all established science on the subject, be it nutrition or brain neutrotransmitters.

Yes, I really don't like Ray Peat. Such megalomanic people cause a lot of havoc by spreading all sorts of FUD and causing confusion about science.

Edited by timar, 06 March 2015 - 09:32 AM.

• dislike x 4
  • Ill informed x 2
  • Good Point x 2
  • Agree x 2
  • like x 2

#6 lourdaud

• 516 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:29 PM

A lot of this information conflicts with what Ray Peat, ... Not sure what to believe.

What a question! Whom to believe... Ray Peat, a notorious crackpot and internet guru with zero credibility in nutritional science or neurology or Bruce Ames, one of the world's most renowned senior biochemists? But that's not even the quesion. Ray Peat's "theories" (self-important drivel) conflicts not only with this paper but also with 95% of all established science on the subject, be it nutrition or brain neutrotransmitters.

Yes, I really don't like Ray Peat. Such megalomanic people cause a lot of havoc by spreading all sorts of FUD and causing confusion about science.

Won't comment on Ray Peat's credibility but I'm quite positive serotonin is bad for you. Maybe not for the body or the brain (no idea) but for the mind.

It wouldn't surprise me if the rigid thought patterns and the typical "looping" you often see in people with autism is partly linked to serotonin and I'm quite certain serotonin will be bad for self-awareness and for reaching higher states of consciousness. Psychedelics will drastically decrease serotonergic tone and compare the brain maps.

A funny side-note is that Danes have a gene variation that contributes to higher levels of serotonin and IME, many Danish people can often be a bit lazy and careless and have a sort of hazy look on their eyes.

It'd be interesting to hear what someone who has experience meditating has to say about serotonin (should be easy to try with supplemented 5HTP or l-tryptophan).

• Agree x 2
  • Needs references x 1

#7 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:04 AM

Has anyone here ever tried SSRIs to good effect? 

Not me.

This is my experience; I was on Zoloft and Seroquel, used both at the same time, used one or the other by itself as well, it didn't work. So I tried herbals; St. John's Wort, 5-htp, SAMe. They caused serotonin syndrome. So I stopped that and felt better NOT being on anything that increased serotonin.

There was an article I read a few months back which I don't have the exact article link for that the "selling of serotonin as the cause of depression" seem to have "what stuck" and was "accepted". 

Depression: It’s Not Your Serotonin

http://www.madinamer...sion-serotonin/

It's a bit confusing because seems as if different researchers have different opinions but I think that's because depression isn't all the same. So my depression may not be serotonin linked, could be other things. Check out this thread and see my last post:

http://www.longecity...e-5#entry720678

Jury Trials In 2008 Expected To Expose SSRI Maker's Dirty Secrets

http://www.opednews....ls_in_2008_.htm

If low serotonin levels aren't responsible for depression, what is?

http://www.theguardi...in-neurogenesis

This quote I like: " It appears that even though antidepressants increase serotonin, a lack of serotonin doesn't cause depression (kind of like aspirin treats a headache, but headaches are not caused by a lack of aspirin). "

I'm too lazy to read, but I hope he isn't insisting SSRIs don't work.

Edited by eon, 26 March 2015 - 10:18 AM.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#8 timar

• Topic Starter
  • 768 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

Please don't highjack this topic for a general discussion about the causal role of brain serotonin in depression. Some people here seem to obsessively criticise an outdated and simplified straw man version of the serotonin hypothesis - research has progessed much beyond such simple hypothesis and no biochemists or neurologist involved in it would ever claim low serotinin to be the only causative factor for depression. Depression is a disease of complex etiology and no one should be surprised that exclusively treating it with an SSRI yields limited results with high interindividual variation - a good response in some people, no respone or sometimes even a worsening in others. Yet meta-analysis of SSRIs show without a doubt that they have some clinical efficency against depression.

How about actually reading this fascinating paper before indulging in knee-jerk reactions to some buzz word from its title?

• Pointless, Timewasting x 4
  • like x 2
  • Agree x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#9 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:52 AM

OK so take lots of vitamin D and fish oils, boom problem solve.  :-D

• unsure x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#10 timar

• Topic Starter
  • 768 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:07 AM

Well, of course not. But a response like this confirms that you really don't seem to care to actually read the paper...

FYI: The brain is a highly plastic organ. If depression results - partially - from a long-term lack of vitamin D certain dietary factors, this state has actually become engraved in its very structure and can't be resolved quickly by simply adding back the lacking nutrients.

• Ill informed x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 iseethelight

• 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:24 AM

Serotonin is generally immunosuppressive, causes anxieties and phobias etc. Serotonin is generally bad for you in any excess amount. it's better to have less than more..

• Agree x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: serotonin, vitamin d, omega-3, epa, dha, adhd, schizophrenia, depression, bipolar, autism

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users