• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Brilliant Martha Stewart narrated video for anti-aging advocacy

martha stewart documentary video advocacy outreach public policy aging funding research

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Brett Black

• 353 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:49 AM

I found this excellent video that I think could be very useful as an introduction to the concepts behind and the benefits of supporting scientific anti-aging efforts.

This is the sort of video that might have the power to really lay the foundations for a change in awareness and attitudes towards aging; showing that aging is not necessarily inevitable and that it is essentially a technical problem.

It has great production values, is narrated by Martha Stewart, features a bunch of highly credentialled interviewees, isn't too long (<15 mins), isnt too technical and gives a nice broad overview of the issues as well as introducing many of the key arguments for anti-aging science.

Some here will think the message is too conservative, but I think it hits what might be a perfect balance of accessability and palatability for the average person at the current point in history. I think it may also hit a sweet spot for policy makers.

This video could be a powerful tool for advocacy, and I urge everyone here to bookmark it and to share it:

"The Healthspan Imperative: The Aging of America"

http://healthspancampaign.org/film/

Edited by Brett Black, 26 March 2015 - 06:53 AM.

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:57 PM

Good video. "Slowing aging" - that is Jay O's influence on the video.

Martha Stewart doesn't want to lose her mind. She will eventually narrate rejuvenation videos. 

• Good Point x 1

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:11 AM

I wonder who the intended audience is?  Congresspersons?   NIH directors?  Drug company execs?  The man on the street?  Apparently this video is just a trailer for a larger movie.  It's pretty long for a trailer, such that I suspect it was intended to act as a standalone.  In that case, I think they should have devoted more space to driving home the point that aging is not set in stone, but rather is understandable and modifiable.  People who need to be convinced that doing something about aging is a good idea are unlikely to know this, and will instead hold the standard meme that aging is inevitable.

I don't have a problem with some talk of slowing aging.  That's a first step, and a rising tide of research money directed at fixing aging will lift the SRF boat as well.  One of the interviewees was James Kirkland, the PI on the groundbreaking senolytics paper, which is a plausible solution for one of the SENS 7, so "slowing aging" is just a term they throw around, but in practice there is going to be some rejuvenation involved.  If you look at the list of funders and partners at the end, one of them is the SRF.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: martha stewart, documentary, video, advocacy, outreach, public, policy, aging, funding, research

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users