• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Books to improve yourself mentally, recommendations?

books psychology mental improve

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:49 PM

I've been reading into a "mental" self-help book lately (it's foreign so I have no title) and it really helps to get my shit together, the reading part (I haven't have read a book in my life) and the content.

So basically I have a new hobby and want to expand my knowledge (psychology, self-help etc) as well as my intellectual side (self-awareness, consciousness, my higher self so the speak). Though, I have no clue where to look/start. I'm not looking for fanatic religious, meditative and philosophical books, less floaty and less relax, anything in between I'm open to.

I know there are a lot of knowledgeable/intellectual guys here on the forum so I hope you guys have some good recommendations. 

#2 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:34 AM

*bump* no one?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Kaleido

• 27 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:45 AM

There is a fantastic book based on mindfullness principles i read called - "Search Inside Yourself" by Chade Meng tan.
He is Google's hired Zen guru dude.  Really amusing book as well but one of the best things i have read and has helped me immensely with a whole manner of mental issues.

maybe not what u looking for - but the cool thing, is he references and bases alot of things on science and research.

Edited by Kaleido, 16 August 2015 - 10:47 AM.

• like x 1

#4 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:14 AM

There is a fantastic book based on mindfullness principles i read called - "Search Inside Yourself" by Chade Meng tan.
He is Google's hired Zen guru dude.  Really amusing book as well but one of the best things i have read and has helped me immensely with a whole manner of mental issues.

maybe not what u looking for - but the cool thing, is he references and bases alot of things on science and research.

It is actually the type of book I might be looking for, what's too much of zen and I'm unable to apply in my life I can look over it but I bet there must be tons of stuff in it that I'm able to use/apply. I maybe kinda "mislead" what I said in my OP but what I was trying to say was as far as it is based on science and research I'm into it! Thanks for pointing that out and thank you very much for your recommendation! 

and btw The book I finished right now is also a sort of "search inside yourself" self-help book.  :)

Edited by YoungSchizo, 16 August 2015 - 11:16 AM.

#5 Kaleido

• 27 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2015 - 05:15 PM

Oh cool which book did u just finish?

#6 insearchfor

• 28 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:41 PM

Try reading a paper titled "As Man Thinketh" by James Allen. I read it whenever I slip out of my discipline. It's probably the first self help book ever published. First an only that helps me.

Edited by insearchfor, 16 August 2015 - 08:42 PM.

• like x 1

#7 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:23 AM

Oh cool which book did u just finish?

It's called "who knows himself, knows his Lord" (don't think there is an English version of it though), it's basically about how to turn your ongoing mental anguish, negative energy that surrounds your mind on a daily bases and faulty thought patterns into a brighter positive way. It's a mix of "zen and religious" teachings but what I liked about it it doesn't even emphasize on those things, rather it makes you think and look for answers within your (higher) self.

Note: The writer is compared to books that were written by OSHO

Edited by YoungSchizo, 17 August 2015 - 09:33 AM.

#8 Blackkzeus

• 210 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:43 PM

The bible
  • Needs references x 1
  • unsure x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • dislike x 1

#9 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:49 PM

The bible

Just a bit less all explaining, floaty and 'bright' :P

#10 VICREP

• 160 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:34 PM

The Power of Now (Eckhart Tolle)

Six Pillars of Self Esteem (Nathaniel Branden)
  • like x 1

#11 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:16 PM

The Power of Now (Eckhart Tolle)

Six Pillars of Self Esteem (Nathaniel Branden)

Thanks m8

#12 Bluecheer

• 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:54 AM

Hello,

I just finished "The Power Of Habit"  by Charles Duhigg which was pretty good.

My absolute favourite is defiantly "The 50th Law" By Robert Green & 50 cent ( Don't let the fact that 50 cent is in it make you disregard the book. It is a really good book which is a rewritten versions of Robert Green's the 48 laws, except with more relate-able experiences to the principles it teaches) 

So that is my favourite but I have a lot I could recommend. It just depends what your interested in. For example I just finished "The war of art" by Stephen Pressfield which is more tailored to beating procrastination (specifically for writing although I'm sure it can relate to any type of procrastination)

"The Art of Learning" is fairly good by Josh Waitzkin. 

"University of Success" by Og Mandino's fairly good as well he takes a lot of information from various authors and compiles it.

"The Four Hour Work Week" is fairly good although I am already a bit of a fan of Tim Ferriss so my view might be skewed. 

I am quite a fan of self development books so if you have any recommendations I would enjoy them as well.

(If you have any marketing recommendations or start up that would be my most preferred) 

I was also looking for a good collection the other day and stumbled upon this forum post to a few that look alright if your interested. :

http://www.rsdnation.com/node/241735

Although I haven't got any from the list yet.

P.S Defiantly check out Tony Robbins!

Hope I could help.

Edited by Bluecheer, 01 September 2015 - 09:55 AM.

• like x 1

#13 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 01:52 PM

Hello,

I just finished "The Power Of Habit"  by Charles Duhigg which was pretty good.

My absolute favourite is defiantly "The 50th Law" By Robert Green & 50 cent ( Don't let the fact that 50 cent is in it make you disregard the book. It is a really good book which is a rewritten versions of Robert Green's the 48 laws, except with more relate-able experiences to the principles it teaches) 

So that is my favourite but I have a lot I could recommend. It just depends what your interested in. For example I just finished "The war of art" by Stephen Pressfield which is more tailored to beating procrastination (specifically for writing although I'm sure it can relate to any type of procrastination)

"The Art of Learning" is fairly good by Josh Waitzkin. 

"University of Success" by Og Mandino's fairly good as well he takes a lot of information from various authors and compiles it.

"The Four Hour Work Week" is fairly good although I am already a bit of a fan of Tim Ferriss so my view might be skewed. 

I am quite a fan of self development books so if you have any recommendations I would enjoy them as well.

(If you have any marketing recommendations or start up that would be my most preferred) 

I was also looking for a good collection the other day and stumbled upon this forum post to a few that look alright if your interested. :

http://www.rsdnation.com/node/241735

Although I haven't got any from the list yet.

P.S Defiantly check out Tony Robbins!

Hope I could help.

The book I've read was a start-up but unfortunately I can't recommend it because it's foreign (this one lifted me out of a depression and I've posted a link to the writer SOHO, the writer of the book I read is compared with his views and can be found in English). I'm still looking for other start-ups though, with a different point of view (the foreign books I'm reading now are a bit from "religious" point of view). My plan is to work myself up from religion ("love") to zen ("relaxation") to psychology ("development")

Thank you for your recommendations, really appreciate it! I will have a look into those when I'm ready for it.

#14 Bluecheer

• 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:48 AM

The book I've read was a start-up but unfortunately I can't recommend it because it's foreign (this one lifted me out of a depression and I've posted a link to the writer SOHO, the writer of the book I read is compared with his views and can be found in English). I'm still looking for other start-ups though, with a different point of view (the foreign books I'm reading now are a bit from "religious" point of view). My plan is to work myself up from religion ("love") to zen ("relaxation") to psychology ("development")

Thank you for your recommendations, really appreciate it! I will have a look into those when I'm ready for it.

To clarify, Startup as in business Startup? Which language? as I am currently trying to learn Spanish, so on the off chance it is a Spanish book I can give it a go.

I'm not the most religious person and thus have not spent enough of my attention on many books, although I can recommend a few people who have deep thought provoking views on the subject. Although personally I haven't read much of there works I have mainly listened to lectures by them. But if you get a chance I would recommend.

Alan Watts (anything by him)

Sam Harriss  > 

I would highly recommend you check out Alan Watts if you have not already, Also it seems your area of enjoyment (im guessing) but the website "http://www.brainpickings.org/" has great annotated little bits of books. I would encourage you to go on that website and see if you like anything ( could be a good way to find a book as-well)

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#15 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:11 AM

To clarify, Startup as in business Startup? Which language? as I am currently trying to learn Spanish, so on the off chance it is a Spanish book I can give it a go.

I'm not the most religious person and thus have not spent enough of my attention on many books, although I can recommend a few people who have deep thought provoking views on the subject. Although personally I haven't read much of there works I have mainly listened to lectures by them. But if you get a chance I would recommend.

Alan Watts (anything by him)

Sam Harriss  > 

I would highly recommend you check out Alan Watts if you have not already, Also it seems your area of enjoyment (im guessing) but the website "http://www.brainpickings.org/" has great annotated little bits of books. I would encourage you to go on that website and see if you like anything ( could be a good way to find a book as-well)

No, I meant start-up as in a easy readable/understandable book (like for dummies) to be introduced in the writers other more difficult to understand books. Unfortunately it's Russian. I'm not the most religious person either, I rather keep my understandings a bit on the surface (a bit spiritual is enough) rather than to dig deeper in religious understanding of mental well-being (on the end of the road I rather not want to float on that stuff if you know what I mean). My main area of enjoyment will be psychology (can't wait to get there) and that's the way I will be heading once I have widen my views by reading different understandings.

I just had a quick look at the site you gave, it looks like it'll help me out, thanks again! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: books, psychology, mental, improve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users