• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Anything and Everything to stop/prevent Going bald (or Regrow lost hair) ???

bald balding supplements

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Bluecheer

• 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:00 AM

^

Any help would be appreciated! 

I am not sure if there is any supplements that in your experience felt to have an effect negative or positive on this but if you could help id love that. Thanks!

#2 Kirito

• 63 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:41 PM

Finasteride, Minoxidil. Don't go off of them after starting.

Possibly try c60-oo, cistanche, bee propolis, and saw palmetto.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 AndyMaster

• 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:57 PM

I started losing my hair at 21 and I have managed to keep all of it (yes, even the hair in the front) through the age of 37 (currently) just by doing the following:

Without a doubt you have to be on Finasteride.  Don't stop taking it.  This will slow down the hair loss.  The problem is, if this is all you do you will still lose your hair.

Secondly I have had wild success with a greens product called "Vitamineral Green".  I believe it is the combination of Nettle (there is a ton of it) and horsetail (probably the silica in the herbs).  Whatever is in this mix, it will stimulate your hair and nails to grow very rapidly (I cut my nails now once a week whereas before it was once every 2-3 weeks).  This will also strengthen your hairs so what does grow doesn't break off.

In the beginning of my hair loss I only took Finasteride and I still ended up losing all of the hair in the front of my scalp.  I was barely hanging onto my hair in the front when I started on the VMG to stimulate the growth of what I had left. . . and it worked.   

And that's it. . . .

I have tried Saw Palmetto, lazer, creams and shampoos but (strangely enough) what worked for me was the combo of Finasteride and VMG. 

Best of luck keeping your hair.

• unsure x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#4 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:53 PM

The above may be spam, since it is the person's first and only post and happens to sneak in an advertisement for a product. 

Supplements are a waste of time and money for hair loss, assuming diet is normal. 

There is strong evidence for the following working, in increasing order of effectiveness:

- Minoxidil

- Finasteride

- Dutasteride

That's it. Be aware that finasteride and dutasteride work by changing male hormone levels and may cause sexual side effects in some people.  Minoxidil doesn't.

There is some circumstantial evidence that the following may also help at least a little for hair loss, though the effects are usually rather disappointing.  They act as topical anti-androgens, and shouldn't be taken orally because they will most definitely have sexual side effects in that case:

- ketoconazole (shampoo)

- spironolactone (cream)

- progesterone (cream)

Edited by nowayout, 01 September 2015 - 08:56 PM.

• Informative x 2
  • Well Written x 1

#5 AndyMaster

• 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:22 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome nowayout.  And no it is not spam and yes the VMG saved my hair.

• like x 1

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:21 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome nowayout.  And no it is not spam and yes the VMG saved my hair.

Welcome to Longecity, Andy!  We get a lot of spam here, and a lot of us work hard to keep it under control.  When someone signs up and immediately mentions a product, it does look kind of spammish.   I'd never heard of greens products like VMG growing hair.  That sounds as though you may have had a micronutrient deficiency.  Nicehair.org (which may or may not be non-profit) has an article on organic green superfood powders.  They recommend that you switch them around, but might just be saying that in the hopes that the reader will use their Amazon affiliate links so they'll make some money.  They list a lot of different products, but not VMG.  However, they do validate the idea that eliminating micronutrient deficiencies might be good for hair growth.  I suspect that most people who are losing hair are facing primarily an androgenetic problem, and that micronutrients wouldn't make much difference, but I suppose it's unlikely to hurt, and might help.

#7 Bluecheer

• Topic Starter
  • 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:52 AM

Thank you Kirito. I appreciate it, I happened to glance previously at a study or fact or something that stated saw palmetto could actually stimulate hair loss.( I do not have the source or know the validity of this claim, but as you can imagine with something such as hair lost its hard to trust something that could seemingly make it worst)

You wouldn't also have a possible valid source to purchase the things you mentioned? (aus)

And thank you andymaster I appreciate the thorough post it was very informative, and its not that I do not believe you it just is always worrying when a fresh post has a hint of website advertising feel to it. Not that, that would disprove its effectiveness tho.
And thank you nowayout I didnt pick up on that.

I'm curious andymaster you specified you started losing it but then managed to keep all of it, I am very un informed on baldness. Is it possible to have your hair grow back? i.e im not bald by any means I just have a receding hair line that I am worried is getting worse.

#8 Bluecheer

• Topic Starter
  • 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:55 AM

Welcome to Longecity, Andy!  We get a lot of spam here, and a lot of us work hard to keep it under control.  When someone signs up and immediately mentions a product, it does look kind of spammish.   I'd never heard of greens products like VMG growing hair.  That sounds as though you may have had a micronutrient deficiency.  Nicehair.org (which may or may not be non-profit) has an article on organic green superfood powders.  They recommend that you switch them around, but might just be saying that in the hopes that the reader will use their Amazon affiliate links so they'll make some money.  They list a lot of different products, but not VMG.  However, they do validate the idea that eliminating micronutrient deficiencies might be good for hair growth.  I suspect that most people who are losing hair are facing primarily an androgenetic problem, and that micronutrients wouldn't make much difference, but I suppose it's unlikely to hurt, and might help.

Hi Niner, I was curious if you have any experience or knowledge in this area? I am some what of a a big experimenter when it comes to nootropics and most supplements, although when it has come to hormones I have been quite a bit skittish & reluctant. 

If you could recommend anything I would appreciate it.

#9 AndyMaster

• 7 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:19 PM

Thank you Kirito. I appreciate it, I happened to glance previously at a study or fact or something that stated saw palmetto could actually stimulate hair loss.( I do not have the source or know the validity of this claim, but as you can imagine with something such as hair lost its hard to trust something that could seemingly make it worst)

You wouldn't also have a possible valid source to purchase the things you mentioned? (aus)

And thank you andymaster I appreciate the thorough post it was very informative, and its not that I do not believe you it just is always worrying when a fresh post has a hint of website advertising feel to it. Not that, that would disprove its effectiveness tho.

I'm curious andymaster you specified you started losing it but then managed to keep all of it, I am very un informed on baldness. Is it possible to have your hair grow back? i.e im not bald by any means I just have a receding hair line that I am worried is getting worse.

Good morning BlueCheer,

Yes, I started losing my hair very young (I would be completely bald right now if not for the Finasteride and VMG).  The truth is, once your hair is gone it cannot grow back (the hair folice itself is dead).  That is why it is so critical that you catch balding early.  Like I said, your best bet is to get on the Finasteride to save your hair in the middle of your scalp and in the back.  Sadly the Propecia I was taking at the time did nothing for the front of my hairline and if you read studies on people that take the Finasteride, you will see that it seldom does anything for the front hairline.

Usually, people will get hair transplants for their front hair line and take propecia to keep the rest.  In my case, as my front hairs were shrinking (and my hairline reciding), I got on the VMG and it saved my hairline.  For those of you out there that think this is more advertising (aka spam), just look on the label of the product and you will see that the largest ingrediant is NETTLE (you are actually taking grams of the stuff daily in the shake).  Again,  . . in my case the combination of the Nettle and the Horsetail (and I presume all of the minerals in the kelp, Chlorella etc.) in the greens drink stimulated my hair to grow so rapidly that although I was still technically balding in the front, it thinkened the "shrinking" hairs to the point where it effectively stoped my hair loss. 

As an alternative I have also tried LEF's "Ultra Prostate" to see if that would stop hair loss (on the assumption some of the ingreadents were DHT blockers) with limited success.  Again this is subjective but I don't feel that the DHT blockers can save the front hair line.  In my case, I simply pushed my hair to grow so fast that it offset the "shrinking" that takes place in the folicle when you bald.  

Whatever you decide to do, you will have to do it quick.  Once the hair folicle dies. . . it is simply too late and you will have to get hair transplants.

:)

Thanks for the welcome Niner,

I have followed your posts for years and have always found your posts to be insightful.

#10 Bluecheer

• Topic Starter
  • 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:54 AM

Good morning BlueCheer,

Yes, I started losing my hair very young (I would be completely bald right now if not for the Finasteride and VMG).  The truth is, once your hair is gone it cannot grow back (the hair folice itself is dead).  That is why it is so critical that you catch balding early.  Like I said, your best bet is to get on the Finasteride to save your hair in the middle of your scalp and in the back.  Sadly the Propecia I was taking at the time did nothing for the front of my hairline and if you read studies on people that take the Finasteride, you will see that it seldom does anything for the front hairline.

Usually, people will get hair transplants for their front hair line and take propecia to keep the rest.  In my case, as my front hairs were shrinking (and my hairline reciding), I got on the VMG and it saved my hairline.  For those of you out there that think this is more advertising (aka spam), just look on the label of the product and you will see that the largest ingrediant is NETTLE (you are actually taking grams of the stuff daily in the shake).  Again,  . . in my case the combination of the Nettle and the Horsetail (and I presume all of the minerals in the kelp, Chlorella etc.) in the greens drink stimulated my hair to grow so rapidly that although I was still technically balding in the front, it thinkened the "shrinking" hairs to the point where it effectively stoped my hair loss. 

As an alternative I have also tried LEF's "Ultra Prostate" to see if that would stop hair loss (on the assumption some of the ingreadents were DHT blockers) with limited success.  Again this is subjective but I don't feel that the DHT blockers can save the front hair line.  In my case, I simply pushed my hair to grow so fast that it offset the "shrinking" that takes place in the folicle when you bald.  

Whatever you decide to do, you will have to do it quick.  Once the hair folicle dies. . . it is simply too late and you will have to get hair transplants.

Thanks for the welcome Niner,

I have followed your posts for years and have always found your posts to be insightful.

Thank you for that post I appreciate it.

so I should have definitely should have been more clear at the start of the topic. My receding hair line is what's the problem (at the front) I'm not really going bald per-say, but I'm worried my receding hair line is getting worse. I thought they were the same thing. 

So if I go on Finasteridë and VMG will i need to be on them permanently ?

#11 AndyMaster

• 7 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:38 PM

Finasteride yes, once you get off of it the DHT will "shrink" and kill your hair folicles (aka balding) so the trick is to reduce your DHT and keep it reduced as long as possible.   

Regarding the VMG, I have gone on and off of it through the years.  When I am on, my hair and nails grow like weeds.  When off, slowely over time my hair once again gets thinner and begins to receed.  I don't know exactly what in the VMG that forces everything to grow (but I suspect its the nettle / horsetail) but the trick to keeping my hair was to limit the DHT (through finasteride and yes sometimes through LEF's "ultra prostate) and force the hair to stay in its "growth cycle" (as you know hair goes through growh cycles, then dormant cycles) with the VMG. 

All the best!

#12 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:17 PM

Isn't it just absolutely amazing that literally billions of men and women here on planet earth go bald, want solutions, will pay big money for a cure, and yet there is nothing. I just don't get it. I don't understand. If modern medicine and regenerative efforts are moving forward at exponential rates, then what the fuck is up here? Where are cures to these problems? Superficial problems like balding, grating hair, and more serious problems... Is it all lies? How can there be nothing for bald people, gray haired people, people who get pancreatic cancer, people who have strokes and become paralyzed? Nothing... A friend of mine died of pancreatic cancer last week, and it just angers me.

Lies, I think. Billions spent on the war on cancer. For decades people have been promised that even things like hair regeneration are five years away. And then five years pass. And then another five and another. Wtf? Lies?

We should start X Prizes for individual cancers, for hair regeneration, for gray hair cures, for osteoporosis and Alzheimer's and diabetes and arthritis and wrinkled skin cures -- all this stuff people want. Yet crickets chirp. Let's raise ten million dollars and offer ten million dollars as a prize for the first college student team to solve the stupid balding human problem. Relying on pharmaceutical companies and FDA endless hesitations go nowhere. Are we learning nothing? It's so discouraging.
  • Agree x 4
  • Ill informed x 1
  • like x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#13 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:15 AM

I've heard drinking the donated blood of youth, can stop hair falling out. Now you just need to find someone people who are 18 years of age and healthy. Willing to part with 14% of their blood supply once or twice a week for cash. All you have to do is drink a full cup first thing in the morning, and than a quarter cup before lunch,dinner and before bed. In case your not down with doing that, any of the above suggestions should stop balding. If you want to regrow maybe in 5 years something ground breaking Will be widely available. Outside of that you have hair transplants.

Edited by Ark, 04 September 2015 - 12:19 AM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • Cheerful x 1
  • like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#14 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:32 AM

For the best effect a transfusion of young blood is suggested.
  • Needs references x 1
  • Agree x 1

#15 Geeo Peeo

• 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:08 AM

this man has listed most things

he uses topical caffeine/methylene blue, 

and progesterone, dhea,pregnenelone

and basic supplements like taurine, vitamin D/k2

http://immortalhair....-work-a-rewrite

http://immortalhair....ir-loss-options

http://immortalhair....s-that-may-help

#16 Bluecheer

• Topic Starter
  • 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:22 AM

hmm.. increased reason to take pregenelone!

I have never heard taurine helping with hair loss?

I highly appreciate it geeo peeo!

#17 Geeo Peeo

• 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:44 AM

the studies for taurine are on raypeatforum

and hairloss-research.org

#18 PerfectSeek

• 70 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:06 AM

Doesn't Finasteride have side effects when taken long term, which most people interested in longevity would want to avoid?  I've used ketoconazole with moderate success in delaying hair loss, but nothing appears to be growing it back.  You could also look into Ecklonia Cava, some people immortal hair forums seem to like it.  

Also agree with the above posted, if anyone discovers the miracle cure for baldness and patents it they will be rich... surprised we haven't made more progress in this area.  

#19 cuprous

• 170 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:01 PM

I have had great results using Lipogaine.  This includes temple regrowth which is usually considered the hardest.  It's minoxidil with a bunch of other stuff thrown in.. things they claim are DHT blockers and follice nutrients..  :unsure:

I've recently started taking a couple teaspoons of collagen powder a day.  Too early to tell on hair growth but of the hundreds of reviews on amazon, many reference thicker hair.

Folks also claim MSM boosts hair growth.  

I've not yet taken the finasteride plunge as there are too many reports of side effects (argue this elsewhere please).

Good luck.. in the years ahead there may well be new treatments.  follicept.com as one possibility.

#20 jakeb

• 16 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:53 PM

So first, most things don't work.

What has been shown to work to some degree:

Minoxidil (Rogaine) -- though tends to have a negative effect on facial skin, increasing wrinkles

Finasteride (Propecia) & Dutasteride -- though can have hormonal side effects

Ketoconazole Shampoo (Nizoral) -- No real side effects, though the weakest of the bunch

Potentially exciting things on the horizon:

Setipeprant, an PGD2 inhibitor. Bald-zone area hair has more PGD2 than hair on the sides of the head. Kythera recently purchased the Setipeprant patents to commercialize this for hair loss. There are forums that are organizing group buys to test this out. 

#21 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:11 PM

If you want to regrow maybe in 5 years something ground breaking Will be widely available.

In 1985 they were saying five years.

#22 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:55 PM

A class of drugs already approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for treating rheumatoid arthritis is raising hairs in the research community—literally. Previous studies had shown that Janus kinase inhibitors, including tofacitinib and ruxolitinib, can treat alopecia areata, an autoimmune disease that causes bald patches when immune cells attack hair follicles. The researchers noticed that, when applied topically, the treatment seemed to be directly spurring robust hair growth. New research suggests that the drugs can do the same even in mice without the autoimmune disease. When researchers applied the drugs topically to the right side of mice whose hair follicles were in a resting phase, the difference was clear: 90% of the treated mice had hair growth within 10 days. And after 3 weeks, untreated mice in a control group (left) remained bald, while those given tofacitinib or ruxolitinib (right) had hair-covered right sides. The drugs, it turned out, had kick-started their hair cycles, putting follicles into an active growth phase. Results were similar when the scientists grafted healthy human scalp skin onto mice, and further experiments showed that the new hair growth was normal at a molecular level, the team reported online today in Science Advances. But it might be some time before you can use the drugs to treat your own bald patches: Scientists still have some ways to go before knowing whether the drugs work on male or female pattern baldness.

Posted in Health

#23 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:11 PM

Interesting.  However, the Janus kinase inhibitors caused earlier anagen (growth) in normal (healthy) hair follicles that were going to go into anagen later anyway.  They didn't work on hair that wasn't in the right stage of telogen (resting phase).  For example, too early in telogen, they didn't do anything.  Follicles had to be in a sufficiently "ready" stage for anagen for the drugs to work. 

So it is an open question whether this will have any application to whatever is wrong with follicles in MPB, which are not necessarily in a "ready" stage for normal anagen to begin with. 

By the way, there are other drugs effective for alopecia areata (e.g. corticosteroids) that don't work for pattern baldness.  So unfortunately we cannot draw too much hope from the results for AA.

Edited by nowayout, 26 October 2015 - 10:12 PM.

• Informative x 1

#24 phix

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:25 PM

It might also promote the activation of epidermal stem and/or progenitor cells. Commented here

#25 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:15 PM

Hair follicle seems to go mostly dormant and not to die.

Topical emu oil doesn't do miracles but may help to wake up some, at least it doesn't have any side effects and it is cheap.

A iodine deficiency may cause hair thinning, iodine deficiency is quite common, kelp provides iodine but SSKI is usually cheaper and maybe easier.

#26 LukeyLondon

• 6 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:20 AM

I started losing my hair at 21 and I have managed to keep all of it (yes, even the hair in the front) through the age of 37 (currently) just by doing the following:

Without a doubt you have to be on Finasteride.  Don't stop taking it.  This will slow down the hair loss.  The problem is, if this is all you do you will still lose your hair.

Secondly I have had wild success with a greens product called "Vitamineral Green".  I believe it is the combination of Nettle (there is a ton of it) and horsetail (probably the silica in the herbs).  Whatever is in this mix, it will stimulate your hair and nails to grow very rapidly (I cut my nails now once a week whereas before it was once every 2-3 weeks).  This will also strengthen your hairs so what does grow doesn't break off.

In the beginning of my hair loss I only took Finasteride and I still ended up losing all of the hair in the front of my scalp.  I was barely hanging onto my hair in the front when I started on the VMG to stimulate the growth of what I had left. . . and it worked.   

And that's it. . . .

I have tried Saw Palmetto, lazer, creams and shampoos but (strangely enough) what worked for me was the combo of Finasteride and VMG. 

Hey Andy, how much Vitamineral Green are you taking per day?

#27 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:24 AM

Cissus blocks cortisol in the scalp, it could actually prevent against hair loss. This might be helpful unless your hair loss is DHT related.
  • Informative x 1

#28 AndyMaster

• 7 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:02 AM

And that's it. . . .

Hey Lukey,

I take one large tablespoon in the morning and one at night.  I would work up to this however. . otherwise you will be pooping green for awhile until your body gets used to it.  BTW, I found out what was saving my hair in the VMG, it turns out the Nettle was doing it all along.  I took Propecia for 4-5 years and my hair was still falling out AND receding in the front.  Once I took VMG, that was the end of it.  I started on Propecia when I was in my early 20s, I am now 39 and have a very full head of hair. 

I tried posting some links to websites showing Nettle's effect on DHT but they wouldn't post for some reason. . . .

All the best keeping your hair,

• Informative x 1

#29 LukeyLondon

• 6 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:56 AM

Cissus blocks cortisol in the scalp, it could actually prevent against hair loss. This might be helpful unless your hair loss is DHT related.

That's interesting Ark, I've occasionally taken cissus for joint function, during gruelling sporting events and have just ordered some to help with controlling my weight over the holiday period. Interesting if it works to stop hairless too.

#30 LukeyLondon

• 6 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:10 PM

And that's it. . . .

Hey Lukey,

I take one large tablespoon in the morning and one at night.  I would work up to this however. . otherwise you will be pooping green for awhile until your body gets used to it.  BTW, I found out what was saving my hair in the VMG, it turns out the Nettle was doing it all along.  I took Propecia for 4-5 years and my hair was still falling out AND receding in the front.  Once I took VMG, that was the end of it.  I started on Propecia when I was in my early 20s, I am now 39 and have a very full head of hair. 

I tried posting some links to websites showing Nettle's effect on DHT but they wouldn't post for some reason. . . .

All the best keeping your hair,

That's super interesting Andy. I'll definitely get some VMG and also some nettle extract, a double pronged approach!

I have no family history of crown hair loss but several members of my family have receded to Norwood 3, 3A.

Weirdly for me, my right temple receded to a Norwood 3A between the ages of 16 - 21. I'm now 33 and my left temple has just started to catch up. I have quite curly hair so most people don't notice my hair loss, I'd like to keep it this way.  

I've been using a hairmax laser comb for about 7 years. Hasn't given me any re-growth but may have slowed things down.

Just started taking C60+OO for many reasons but one is that it may help re-grow hair. I've started taking close up pictures of my temples and will continue to do so once a week. If there is any change I'll be able to document it here. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bald, balding, supplements

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users