• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Best Supplement for Social Anxiety?

supplement anxiety social anxiety stacks mental panic brain meditation social best

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Poll: Best Supplement for Social Anxiety? (69 member(s) have cast votes)

Supplement

1. Picamilon (1 votes [1.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.45%

2. Pramiracetam (1 votes [1.45%] - View)

3. Piracetam (6 votes [8.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

4. Myo-Inositol (2 votes [2.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.90%

5. Magnolia root bark (2 votes [2.90%] - View)

6. 5-HTP (2 votes [2.90%] - View)

7. Acetyl L-carnitine (3 votes [4.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

8. Reishi Mushroom (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. Fish Oil (1 votes [1.45%] - View)

10. SAMe (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Voted magnesium (7 votes [10.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.14%

12. L-theanine (15 votes [21.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

13. L-Tyrosine (0 votes [0.00%])

14. L-Lysine (0 votes [0.00%])

15. Manganese (0 votes [0.00%])

16. Ginkgo biloba (0 votes [0.00%])

17. Bacopa (6 votes [8.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

18. Passion Flower (0 votes [0.00%])

19. Kratom (7 votes [10.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.14%

20. Other (16 votes [23.19%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.19%

Continued

1. Lemon Balm (4 votes [5.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.80%

2. Voted Ashwagandha (12 votes [17.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

3. Kava Kava (2 votes [2.90%] - View)

4. Valerian Root (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Chocamine (1 votes [1.45%] - View)

6. 1,3 dimethylamylamine (0 votes [0.00%])

7. St. John's Wort (3 votes [4.35%] - View)

8. Rhodiola Rosea (4 votes [5.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.80%

9. DL-Phenylaline (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Phenibut (20 votes [28.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.99%

11. Resveratrol (1 votes [1.45%] - View)

12. L-Tryptophan (0 votes [0.00%])

13. Ginseng (1 votes [1.45%] - View)

14. Relora (2 votes [2.90%] - View)

15. Niacinamide (1 votes [1.45%] - View)

16. Gotu Kola (2 votes [2.90%] - View)

17. Cacao (1 votes [1.45%] - View)

18. Maca (1 votes [1.45%] - View)

19. Turmeric with Black Pepper (3 votes [4.35%] - View)

20. Other (11 votes [15.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 coinperson

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 January 2020 - 09:38 AM

C60 OO was a life changer for me, I felt like I "woke up" the first time I took it.  It has been 3 years and I no longer worry about groups of people.  It might be just me that it helps, but it is extremely different than before.

https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=835564

#62 Mr Serendipity

• 980 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:29 PM

Okay I got a new one, but I’ve only tested it once today.

But the last 16 days I’ve been drinking cocoa everyday. Not sure on anxiety, but just been feeling generally better.

But this morning I wanted to test a supplement I bought a couple months ago, DMAE.

So the only thing I took was hot cocoa (2 teaspoons) and 350mg DMAE bitartrate (2 x 175mg tablets).

OH MY GOSH

I’ve never felt so anti anxiety in my life. Like anxiety didn’t exist at all, neither did any irritability. I’m shocked mainly because I can’t remember the last time I felt this at ease around people and social interactions in life. I was very calm, non irritable, and in control, like I could prevent myself saying or doing things more so than usual, it’s like an impulse would be there to say something, but killed.

Later on though, about 6 hours after ingestion, I became a little hypomanic and silly, euphoric, and enjoyed music while driving home.

Anyway I’m very excited about this supplement and want to see if I can reproduce it’s effects long term, I also want to try a 525mg dosage (3 tablets) and stay there if there are no side effects.

Edited by Jesus is King, 26 February 2020 - 07:31 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#63 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:01 PM

So it looks like the highest rated are phenibut, ashwagandha, theanine, and magnesium.

magnesium (threonate or glycinate) and theanine really work.

ashwagandha and bacopa are also somewhat effective.  but they have too many disruptive effects on thyroid glands for me, and they also lower cortisol (ADHD-phenotypes are already low in cortisol).  Good for short-term uses only

ive also been messaging others, asking about experiences they've had or rumors they've heard...  Phenibut, aniracetam and even noopept have been mentioned for carefree social confidence.

But IMO their long-term benefits are not yet established.  And they are more potent, more addictive, more mysterious compounds (especially phenibut, stay away!)  Its not recommended, none of them, and thats coming from someone who identifies as a libertarian

#64 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 March 2020 - 09:19 AM

If we are going to consider phenibut a supplement we might as well do the same with baclofen, benzodiazepines, gabapentin or pregablin. I would recommend a very high degree of caution with all of these. 

As for Noopept I do recall long ago getting some pro-social effects from ~15mg 1-2 times per day, for example feeling more aware of what is being said, but I don't know, didn't use it for long enough.

#65 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:44 AM

agreed, i was more curious as to why they work.  I supposed with phenibut that is less of a mystery than with noopept.

another personal recommendation besides magnesium: ginseng.

Red ginseng influences both GABA-A[1] and GABA-B [1][2].  Specifically, it was reported twice to antagonize baclofen binding at the presynaptic B site.

it also modulates overall dopamine and serotonin levels, lowers brain oxidative states, interacts with andrenergic and nicotinic sites, and can be safely combined with tea and occasional ginkgo for a synergistic effect on social anxiety.  I don't have time to elaborate in this post, but i believe ginseng has an especially rich and clean profile of effects.  Research in coming decades should continue investigating these properties.

What is remarkable about some of these natural approaches is how your body's response changes over time.  Gradually you need it less and less, until you are healed and do as well without it :sleep:

#66 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:01 PM

Best supplement against social anxiety is to avoid people. People are overrated.

If you must join society,  keep in mind that humans are essentially idiots full of themselves, and overrated as I said, and your anxiety about them will lower immediately. 

• Enjoying the show x 2
  • Cheerful x 2
  • Disagree x 2
  • Informative x 1

#67 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:29 PM

youre letting them win at their own game that way.  its like how to avoid pain: kill yourself

• Cheerful x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#68 Mr Serendipity

• 980 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 March 2020 - 05:59 PM

I think people should consider trying DMAE though it’s not really known for anxiety. I’ve had continued success with it, and it’s currently my most successful supplement for anxiety (completely kills it) and emotional stability. Other supplements I’ve experimented with (and I’m not saying I’ve tried them all) and taking my long term general wellness/health stack haven’t been able to prevent emotional flashbacks, up until I started experimenting with DMAE.

However the downside for me is it worsens my insomnia (you don’t feel tired when it’s time to sleep, but a calming stimulation that just keeps you up). Another downside is it can be a bit dulling, like it’s harder to concentrate, and experimenting with a lower dose (44mg) still seems to be effective on anxiety without being as dulling, but concentration still suffers but to a lesser degree.

At the moment I’m experimenting with higher doses of vitamin d and vitamin c to see if I can mimic DMAE’s effects without the side effects, so I’m dropping DMAE for a little while as I experiment.

But my point is while an unlikely candidate, if you have any of this stuff lying around, maybe experiment with small doses of it and see if it helps in the anixiety department.

#69 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 March 2020 - 12:32 AM

Hi, You have had gtreat results. I am glad they persisted. Could you answer some questions?

Have you taken it continuously? What dose? Switch at all between suppliers?

Thanks.

C60 OO was a life changer for me, I felt like I "woke up" the first time I took it.  It has been 3 years and I no longer worry about groups of people.  It might be just me that it helps, but it is extremely different than before.

https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=835564

#70 CalmContact

• 20 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:44 PM

My situation where i want to use it:
Walking around and trying to talk to people. Basically social anxiety exercises. 

I don't have a high heartbeat, i just feel great inhibition to talk to strangers on the street. 

Which is normal, but i wanna train myself to be able to do it. 

Best i have tried so far:
40mcg lsd. Kinda erased my negative thoughts. 

I still have inhibitions and empathy. It just made me happier i guess. 

I wanna do this weekly longterm. (Why am i looking further for other substances? Cause i can only use it 1 out of 7 days)

Phenibut:
did take 500mg and i didn't notice any difference, but perhaps there was an effect. 

I'll try 1g next (always 14 day pause in between intakes)

This experimentation will take some months

Kratom:
did take 500mg thai pimps, didn't feel anything, will try 750mg next (always 7 days in between intakes and always alternate strains). This experimentation will take some months i guess. 

CBD oil:
5 drops of 5% cdb oil eg. Made me pretty relaxed.. which was bad because i was pretty relaxed ok with not talking to anyone.

Propranolol:
Didn't feel anything, but i guess it doesn't help lower heartbeat when i don't have a higher heartbeat

Alcohol: 
I think at the dosages it would work, there is the bad side effect of being much less competent in talking and being sharp and aware. Not too happy about it, body feels bad mostly (besides a supersmall sweet spot)

---

Do these different effects so far could help me realize what other substances could help me? 

I think: 

Relaxation is perhaps not the most important thing that helps me. 

I surely also fear hot women, but i guess my more bigger problem is motivation / sociability / mood for being social / happy mood. 

Cause lsd works great for me (lsd doesn't relax, does it, but it's good for mood)

While cbd-oil and propranolol don't seem to help me (also phenibut.. but i have to find out good dosage for me, kratom is supposed to motivate but i have to find out dosage for me)

So i guess i should look out for substances that raise mood (instead of looking for relaxing substances)?

(So.. eg thc instead of cbd? But thc doesn't have good reputation to help socially does it)

List of things that i could try.. your Comment appreciated what you think could be worth trying first in my case (or also: what's probably not worth trying

Kanna -> heard it's light version of cocaine (which is supposed to be great for social confidence but super-addictive life destroying)

(ok, i found a powder here.. to chew with a chewing gum? And an extract to just add to the food, this seems more comfortable)

Coffeine
Coffeine + L-Theanine

Ashvagandha (+ magnesium)

brahm bacopa monnieri

Sulbutiamine nootropic

DMAE bitartrate: found this cheap on amazon, so i guess i will try that

kava kava -> guess this is more relaxing instead of motivating?

I wanna eat sauerkraut everyday also, i did that for some time. 

These following things have a very weak reputation in my mind, do they really work - and do they have an effect eg 2 hours later, or do i have to take them like 3 weeks straight or something? 

passion flower

roseroot / golden root

magnesium

valerian root

l-tryptophan

vitamin b6

vitamin b12

5-htp

Thanks!

#71 Mr Serendipity

• 980 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 August 2020 - 11:22 PM

The 2 supplements I found that personally work for social anxiety are DMAE and Turmeric/curcumin extract.

However DMAE gives me major insomnia, and I have to take it in the lowest doses I can by cutting up the 175mg tablet into 1/4 or less, and it’s still effective.

But I dropped DMAE out of my stack a long time ago, because Turmeric/curcumin extract worked just as well for social anxiety, but without the side effect of insomnia.

There’s a lot of studies on curcumin and anxiety on my amygdala thread, and one study where it literally weakens and removes trained pavalon fears/triggers. Regardless I can say from personal experience it works for my anxiety.

Also recently I’ve delved into instant self hypnosis (hypnosis reading with your eyes open) and can say it’s helping with anxiety. It’s only a recent development, but each time I do it, I feel more at peace, and interacting with people isn’t so much of a problem, even when I don’t take supplements. Alternatively you could say taking turmeric the last couple of months has done what that study said and eliminated fear memories, I’m not sure.

Regardless in terms of supplements I recommend Turmeric/curcumin extract as the first choice and then DMAE as the second choice.

Edited by Jesus is King, 05 August 2020 - 11:25 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#72 CalmContact

• 20 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:06 AM

Regardless in terms of supplements I recommend Turmeric/curcumin extract as the first choice and then DMAE as the second choice.

Thanks! 

Tumeric extract = ginger? 

The spice? Ok, it's an extract, i guess pill-form? Or liquid drops?
(I don't know the rules, perhaps you could send me a message with brand or something, (i have german amazon))

How do you dose it? (The extract is 10:1, how much?)

How much time is onset and how long does effect last after an intake? 

I will search for your amygdala thread - ps i didn't find the answers to my questions so far in the thread, are they there?

Edited by CalmContact, 06 August 2020 - 12:08 AM.

#73 Mr Serendipity

• 980 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:19 AM

Hi, I replied to your PM.

This is the brand I take: https://www.amazon.d.../dp/B07D85SWGM/

Ginger and turmeric are of the same family of root. However I've taken ginger for years for inflammatory and general health, and it has never helped with anxiety.

Curcumin is an active ingredient of Turmeric, so you want a high strength extract of curcumin.

On my amygdala thread I've posted 9 studies on Turmeric. They're on page 7 (currently the last page of the thread) starting as the first post of that page. More specifically posts 181-188 and post 191.

• Good Point x 1

#74 CalmContact

• 20 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:51 PM

My situation where i want to use it:
When going out talking to strangers

Curcumin

Took 5 pills = 2250mg of Curcumin

Took it 11h, 12h, 13h, 14h, then went out from 15-17h and didn't feel any difference at all. 

It was a bad day i judge, i basically didn't talk to anyone nearly.

So i wanna do a pause of 7-14 days and then try

15 pills = 6750mg (in the study side effects started at about 9000mg for some people)

(then if it also doesn't help i'll make another 7day pause and then just take a pill every day or every second day till the bottle is empty)

Yea, i realize i think i don't really need 'anti-anxiety'.. 

cbd didn't have a positive effect, and propranolol also didn't, just lsd micro - which is more mood booster i guess. (I don't know what the best word for that is 'mood boosting', 'sociability`?...) 

What term should i search for / look for to find alternatives to micro lsd which raises my mood? (the anti anxiety stuff like eg cbd oil or propranolol doesn't do things for my situaton where i want to use it)

What substances are 'mood raisers'? (instead of 'anti anxiety')

#75 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:11 PM

It will vary by person, but I'd put niacin on that list, as it is likely more effective than niacinamide. Also taurine, TMG, and a proprietary mix called Happy Camper that contains--

And if you're considering off-label drugs, propranolol for public speaking.

I've tried Niacinamide and Taurine on their own for periods.  Niacinamide was like 5-10x RDI. Taurine I took a few grams of per day. That stuff is OK. Both of them seem like they can produce some tension as well, but mostly calming.... I don't like the feel they give personally. Except when combined with caffeine they do seem to balance out the caffeine very well (like in energy drinks). I think magnesium, glycine and selank are way more predictable and reliable just based on my personal reactions.

The supplement that most closely resembles an actual GABA agonist would be one of Swansons Magnolia extract supplements. It feels that way, and there's massive tolerance to the effects when I did use it. Some studies suggesting such effects too if I recall. (I would not consider Phenibut a supplement just like I wouldn't consider Benzodiazepines a supplement....)

Edited by Keizo, 12 August 2020 - 12:29 PM.

#76 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:27 PM

Yea, i realize i think i don't really need 'anti-anxiety'.. 

cbd didn't have a positive effect, and propranolol also didn't, just lsd micro - which is more mood booster i guess. (I don't know what the best word for that is 'mood boosting', 'sociability`?...) 

What term should i search for / look for to find alternatives to micro lsd which raises my mood? (the anti anxiety stuff like eg cbd oil or propranolol doesn't do things for my situaton where i want to use it)

What substances are 'mood raisers'? (instead of 'anti anxiety')

If I wanted a supplement for mood boost the only one that comes to mind would be Fulvic Acid (you can buy the pure stuff, tho it's slightly expensive, called Wujinsan or Pure&fulvic ----- there's also "shilajit" which has fulvic acid in it but also a bunch of other stuff). It feels slightly energizing (if I take a lot then quite noticeably so), it's vaguely dopaminergic, improves blood flow. For me it's in the same category of perceived effects as Ginseng or Caffeine, but more subtle and tolerable. So I guess in general... stuff that might have more of a dopaminergic effect, something slightly "stimulating" in the broad sense might be what you are looking for. Altho some people get anti-anxiety effects from these things (even the ones that are associated with increasing anxiety like prescription stimulants). Then there's also Rhodiola and Schizandra and stuff like that.

Otherwise there's supplements and compounds that might have an effect on Neurotrophic factors as one of their main supposed mechanisms. Those I find have modest anti-depressant effects (I'm not really depressed normally but nor exactly the opposite either). There's a bunch of those. Everything from the pharma grade stuff (Cerebrolysin, Selank, Semax, beta-NGF (this one you'd have to prepare yourself, it's not used as medication AFAIK)) to more regular supplements like Lion's Mane mushroom extracts. 

Ashwagandha (indian ginseng) might also fit into one of these categories.

Edited by Keizo, 12 August 2020 - 12:28 PM.

• Informative x 1

#77 Mr Serendipity

• 980 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2020 - 04:36 PM

While tumeric is great for anxiety for me. The two supplements I would say are the best are Forskolin and DMAE.

I remember testing Forskolin by itself (no other supplements) and my anxiety was non existent and my mood was up. 

So my top 3 are Forskolin, DMAE, and Turmeric. I don’t suffer from any anxiety at the moment.

Personally from what I can gather, I seem to respond well to substances that are related to ADHD/amphetamines, like DMAE. Maybe because I’m more focused, or my brains more awake, I don’t know. But it seems to help with anxiety and addictions like weed and alcohol.

Edited by Jesus is King, 28 October 2020 - 04:40 PM.

#78 Mr Serendipity

• 980 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2020 - 09:20 PM

While tumeric is great for anxiety for me. The two supplements I would say are the best are Forskolin and DMAE.

I remember testing Forskolin by itself (no other supplements) and my anxiety was non existent and my mood was up. 

So my top 3 are Forskolin, DMAE, and Turmeric. I don’t suffer from any anxiety at the moment.

Personally from what I can gather, I seem to respond well to substances that are related to ADHD/amphetamines, like DMAE. Maybe because I’m more focused, or my brains more awake, I don’t know. But it seems to help with anxiety and addictions like weed and alcohol.

I take back what I said about DMAE, dropped it, stuff makes me extremely stressed and irritable if I go doses 350mg or above.

As for anxiety, I still don’t have any, but mainly put this down to Forskolin and then turmeric. Forskolin is definitely a game changer though. And also forskolin is a great mood booster, but I find the combo of forskolin and sulbutiamine can put me in a great mood most of the day.

But as for this topic my top 2 for anxiety are Forskolin and Turmeric. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#79 EvaWhite

• 35 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 11:18 AM

Piracetam works good. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supplement, anxiety, social anxiety, stacks, mental, panic, brain, meditation, social, best

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users