Is Buteyko Breathing legit?

breathing buteyko

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 YimYam

• 135 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:47 AM

This is the site I have come across - http://www.normalbreathing.com

Pardon my lack of content to the opening of the thread, my cognitive issues are bad.

I just would like to know if anyone has had any experience with this method? If so, what were your results?

I alos find it difficult to understand why there are so few testimonials for something which seems so promising and interesting.. Anyone know why?

Thanks

#2 Onur

• 10 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:44 PM

How much should we do Buteyko breath a day?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Oakman

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:08 AM

I've never heard of this fellow, but I really like his ideas. Great website, thanks for bringing it to our attention. I've come to some of the same opinions about breathing he has, but he's put into words and action a whole breathing methodology. Pretty cool stuff. And much is old wisdom. I'll be spending some time going through the site. 

As to why we don't hear more of things such as this - money. There is no way to make any significant $$ from teaching one how best to breath. There should be, but there is not. It's some priceless advice. Much about improving health and longevity is free, but mundane, including DIY life advice and many (mostly plant based) generic substances. The world only wants to market to you, not necessarily help you.

I came at breathing technique from several other vectors. 1) Hearth rate variability (HRV) score to judge adequate recovery from exercise. Paced controlled breathing is one thing that improves HRV.  2) full lung breathing is essential to cycle as fast as possible - an activity near and dear to my daily existence.  3) I take a lot of supplements.  I 'feel' that to ingest various supplements into the body without using breathing to improve exercise to get excellent blood flow that forces nutrients and molecules into all body tissues, is just a waste of supplements. They could simply have no useful effect, or worse, be dangerous.

#4 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:32 AM

I've never heard of this fellow, but I really like his ideas. Great website, thanks for bringing it to our attention. I've come to some of the same opinions about breathing he has, but he's put into words and action a whole breathing methodology. Pretty cool stuff. And much is old wisdom. I'll be spending some time going through the site. 

Have you been practicing this? Seen any benefits ?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Oakman

Posted 05 December 2019 - 03:27 PM

Have you been practicing this? Seen any benefits ?

I've tried to use some of these techniques, as mentioned above. Fortunately I don't have chronic diseases that they talk a lot about. But mouth breathing during heavy exercise is my current 'fail' point. So I'm trying closed mouth breathing in, open breathing out when I catch myself mis-breathing. My nasal passages seem to vary in throughput depending on as yet to be determined reasons.

But if you're asking has focus on breathing helped, absolutely. Using these techniques while exercise training has greatly strengthened my heart over the last year or so. I've more than doubled my average (monthly, weekly) HRV score during that period, while reducing my exercise HR during endurance efforts. It just takes constant active focus to accomplish slow, full breathing and improved HR, day by day. I chalk the gradual changes up to improved energy generation and mitochondrial efficiency and so less stress on the body, heart, muscles.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: breathing, buteyko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users