LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Best Magnesium supplement?

magnesium supplement best anxiety sleep insomnia poll stress panic

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Best Magnesium Form in Terms of Bioavailability and anxiety? (66 member(s) have cast votes)

Magnesium Forms

1. Magnesium taurate (1 votes [1.52%])

Percentage of vote: 1.52%

2. Magnesium citrate (13 votes [19.70%])

Percentage of vote: 19.70%

3. Magnesium glycinate (24 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

4. Magnesium malate (5 votes [7.58%])

Percentage of vote: 7.58%

5. Magnesium chloride (4 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

6. Magnesium carbonate (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Magnesium sulfate (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Magnesium oxide (5 votes [7.58%])

Percentage of vote: 7.58%

9. Magnesium L-threonate (14 votes [21.21%])

Percentage of vote: 21.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Oakman

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:45 PM

Agreed, great topic. And I too have been stymied by the question of "Which magnesium supplement?" for some time. Good discussion here on the forum, with many choices and opinions. I've tried several, with variable results, but I have recently found one I like a lot.

The more I learned about how difficult mineral absorption could be, I learned of Albion Minerals' cleated supplements. Their goal is good absorption, without bad side effects. One formulation avail from a couple brands was esp. attractive:

- Magnesium (as DiMagnesium Malate and TRAACS Magnesium Lysinate Glycinate Chelate)

- Malic Acid as (DiMagnesium Malate)

I don't use this particular brand, (Nutrimedical) but their product sheet is helpful:

"Magnesium Lysyl Glycinate Chelate, a mineral amino acid chelate in which magnesium is bound to two
amino acids, creates a complex that is more readily absorbed across the intestinal wall. Since the body can
efficiently absorb dipeptides (two amino acids linked together), Albion’s TRAACS® magnesium lysylglycinate
is an excellent delivery system for magnesium. In general, Albion TRAACS patented mineral amino acid
chelates are resistant to competitive minerals, do not weaken the action of vitamins, and pose a smaller risk of
overdosing.

Di-Magnesium Malate, the other chelate in Magnesium Glycinate, contains 69% malate (malic acid). Each
capsule of Magnesium Glycinate supplies approximately 400 mg of malic acid. Malic acid was chosen because
it forms complexes with magnesium. Magnesium and malate play critical roles in energy production under
aerobic conditions or when oxygen is lacking. Malic acid also appears to exert a protective effect by binding
aluminum."

In short:

"DiMagnesiumMalate is a unique formulation that combines magnesium with malic acid, an alpha-hydroxy acid found naturally in apples and other tart fruits. The weak bond between magnesium and malic acid makes it readily soluble in the body, providing an excellent, high-bioavailability magnesium source that’s gentle on the digestive system. And the complementary roles of malic acid and magnesium in cellular energy production make it great for athletes or anyone with high energy demands."

PS. And BTW this video illustrates the problem, and their solution, extremely well, lots of fun to watch!  

Edited by Oakman, 19 November 2016 - 03:50 PM.

#32 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:34 PM

This is a great topic and one I care a lot about.

I just want to point out a couple things to hopefully add to the discussion.

Firstly, it really depends what you are using the magnesium for.  If you are using it as a laxative for example, then oxide is a good choice because it doesn't absorb in the body and draws water into the large intestine.  For magnesium that crosses the blood brain barrier, then magnesium threonate is ideal.

For most people who actually want the magnesium to absorb into the body, the current winner of the vote "magnesium glycinate" is a great choice.  It absorbs very well.

Magnesium glycinate is exactly the same as magnesium bisglycinate.  They just use a different name for the same thing.  I often have people ask me that.

I also want to point out that not all magnesium glycinate (bisglycinate) is the same.  Most of what is on the market is "buffered", which actually means that magnesium oxide has been mixed in to raise the % of elemental magnesium in a cheap way.  Unless is specifically says "non buffered magnesium bisglycinate" then it likely is buffered.  Most of it is.  If you are ever unsure, then look at the back of the bottle and look at the ratio of the magnesium compound to the elemental magnesium.  Pure bisglycinate should be about 10% elemental.  If the ratio is over 15%, then it has definitely been buffered.  It's basic chemistry.

We use pure non-buffered magnesium bisglycinate because it absorbs the best and doesn't cause any loose stools at all.  

I dont think they are the same, AFAIK bisglycinate is new improved formula, glycinate form is magnesium binned to a single glycine molecule, bis (which imho means bi-as 2x) contain 2 active molecules hence the better absorption. Anyway it does not really matter, i take the healthy origins one, and it is amazing.

Edited by dazed1, 20 November 2016 - 09:35 PM.

• Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:29 PM

Innovix Labs, I believe a few other brands use this formula, Dimagnesium Malate and Magnesium Glycinate. Best combination and no loose stools.

#34 monowav

• 66 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:50 PM

I've found Xymogen's OptiMag Neuro to be good for cognitive function. It has threonate, malate, and lysinate glycinate. I'm not sure if it's sustainable for use, but I'll use it after a while of not taking any mag supplements, other than glycinate to sleep. Has anyone else tried this or the combo of the 3?

#35 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:00 AM

For anxiety, try this - 100% results.

Ashwagandha

Magnesium bisglycinate

Taurine (taken together with magnezium 2x 500mg, and 2x 200mg magnesium per day)

Activated b complex 2x per week, monday and friday, do not take it everyday! overdose of B6 will make you anxious like nothing else!

Edited by dazed1, 24 June 2017 - 02:01 AM.

#36 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:09 PM

For anxiety, try this - 100% results.

Ashwagandha

Magnesium bisglycinate

Taurine (taken together with magnezium 2x 500mg, and 2x 200mg magnesium per day)

Activated b complex 2x per week, monday and friday, do not take it everyday! overdose of B6 will make you anxious like nothing else!

I'm not sure if it's somewhat redundant to take glycine and taurine together, as they both have similar effects on the glycine receptors.

#37 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:26 AM

Its not, taurine have much stronger effect, i have tried many times, and also many others did.

#38 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:04 PM

I've been taking magnesium pills of all different types for years, and I couldn't tell the difference. But they all work, because if I stop taking magnesium a lot of things go a bit wrong. These days I take straight magnesium from a good company, whichever is the best bargain at the time. These are largely made of magnesium oxide, which is often talked down on here, but it works fine for me.

#39 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

Its not, taurine have much stronger effect, i have tried many times, and also many others did.

If taurine is stronger, why the glycine then?

#40 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

Because the magnesium bisglycinate formula contain glycinate/lysinate, its even better to have 3 different amino acids, then just one. They all have calming effects....people tried oxide with taurine, while it does help a bit, its far from this combo. And its dirty cheap as well, 2 months dose is 10$

#41 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

daze1, I am a little confused. Do you take a combination Magnesium Bisglycinate as it is only MG and Glycine? Where does the lysinate come from?  Some products are combined with Magnesium Oxide, yet they are still called Magnesium Bisglycinate. Albion calls that product Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate Buffered. That caused some controversy.

http://www.albionmin...ium-white-paper

"Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate Buffered delivers 18mg of elemental Mg/100mg of the product. Per 100mg of the product, it contributes 8.9mg of magnesium that is chelated with 55mg glycine– enough to improve solubility and buffer the remaining Mg as oxide to optimize paracellular transport. Significantly more than half the product by weight is magnesium bisglycinate chelate – hence the name Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate Buffered."

I take a little over 2200 mgs of the non buffered Mg Bisglycinate which provides 200 mg elemental Mg and 2 gms of Glycine.

#42 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:53 PM

https://www.iherb.co...0-Tablets/16567

This one, it is fully reacted not buffered, you want to avoid the buffered. I take this magnesium, taurine + ashwagandha, 3 products. And 3x per week max active b complex.

Edited by dazed1, 26 June 2017 - 10:54 PM.

• Informative x 1

#43 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:13 AM

Thanks.

#44 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:03 AM

Wait, where's Magnesium Orotate?

#45 ekaitz

• 67 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:24 AM

Where is magnesium n-acetyltaurinate?

Edited by ekaitz, 20 April 2018 - 03:25 AM.

#46 baccheion

• 154 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:42 AM

Magnesium glycinate lysinate chelate or magnesium oil spray (as a deodorant, even). And magnesium L-threonate, as it's been proven/shown to cross the blood-brain barrier. Magnesium malate is used in many supplements (rather than glcyinate lysinate chelate), as it takes up less space.

Edited by baccheion, 21 April 2018 - 01:44 AM.

#47 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:33 AM

bumping becuase I wanna know which one is best for stress/anxiety.. Is it L-threonate?

Edited by farshad, 09 May 2018 - 01:34 AM.

#48 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:04 AM

^^ I've been taking Magnesium Orotate from Kal and it seems to work good. I also have taken Mag Malate with some significant results on stress. 

#49 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:30 AM

If Magtein is the most bioavailable form of magnesium wouldn’t make sense to use this solely as your source of magnesium?

#50 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:21 PM

Magnesium glycinate lysinate chelate or magnesium oil spray (as a deodorant, even). And magnesium L-threonate, as it's been proven/shown to cross the blood-brain barrier. Magnesium malate is used in many supplements (rather than glcyinate lysinate chelate), as it takes up less space.

Interesting. I seldom see Malate as an ingredient of any supplement, particularly as the magnesium component. 

I have yet to try Mag Glycinate and have tried citrate, Orotate and Malate and of the three Malate 'feels' best to me.

Why should I switch to Glycinate?

#51 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:28 AM

My opinion is that several forms of Magnesium could be taken throughout the day including at bedtime. I do not see one being a complete replacement for another. The form might come down to the level of Magnesium absorption, but I believe that the form one wants to take, and when, is more important as long as you take enough spread out during the day/night. I take enough elemental Magnesium that the total Magnesium from any specific form is not a deciding factor.

Regularly, I take Di-Magnesium Malate for Malic Acid (energy) during the day, and Magnesium Glycinate at bedtime. I want both Magnesium and Glycine at night. I skew it a little more towards Glycine by adding additional Glycine powder. I also take other forms of Magnesium when I feel like it such as Magnesium Citrate, Magnesium Ascorbate, Magnesium Acetate and sometimes make Magnesium Bicarbonate.

The one form of Magnesium which I noticed a quick, and definitive effect (To me) is Magnesium L-Threonate at the suggested 2 gram dose which is 144 mgs elemental. Unfortunately it is over $20 per month, so I regularly drop it. 144 mgs elemental is not enough Magnesium by itself.

I am trying a timed released Dimagnesium Malate supplement. Jigsaw MagSRT.

They completed a study which showed an increase in Red Blood Cell levels of Magnesium. One of the members here after years of high dose Magnesium was only able to raise his RBC Magnesium with blood infusions. This form of Magnesium delivery is also expensive, but I wondered if an increase in RBC Magnesium levels might have a cognitive effect. I will decide in about 45 days or so if I will continue with this form,.

Marketing page, but it was a placebo controlled study published in The American College of Nutrition (JACN) in 2018 https://www.jigsawhe...agnesium-study/

mag-supp-facts-1000px.jpg

#52 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:05 AM

My opinion is that several forms of Magnesium could be taken throughout the day including at bedtime. I do not see one being a complete replacement for another. The form might come down to the level of Magnesium absorption, but I believe that the form one wants to take, and when, is more important as long as you take enough spread out during the day/night. I take enough elemental Magnesium that the total Magnesium from any specific form is not a deciding factor.

Regularly, I take Di-Magnesium Malate for Malic Acid (energy) during the day, and Magnesium Glycinate at bedtime. I want both Magnesium and Glycine at night. I skew it a little more towards Glycine by adding additional Glycine powder. I also take other forms of Magnesium when I feel like it such as Magnesium Citrate, Magnesium Ascorbate, Magnesium Acetate and sometimes make Magnesium Bicarbonate.

The one form of Magnesium which I noticed a quick, and definitive effect (To me) is Magnesium L-Threonate at the suggested 2 gram dose which is 144 mgs elemental. Unfortunately it is over $20 per month, so I regularly drop it. 144 mgs elemental is not enough Magnesium by itself.

I am trying a timed released Dimagnesium Malate supplement. Jigsaw MagSRT.

They completed a study which showed an increase in Red Blood Cell levels of Magnesium. One of the members here after years of high dose Magnesium was only able to raise his RBC Magnesium with blood infusions. This form of Magnesium delivery is also expensive, but I wondered if an increase in RBC Magnesium levels might have a cognitive effect. I will decide in about 45 days or so if I will continue with this form,.

Marketing page, but it was a placebo controlled study published in The American College of Nutrition (JACN) in 2018 https://www.jigsawhe...agnesium-study/

mag-supp-facts-1000px.jpg

Currently, what's your total Magnesium intake daily and how long have you been on this dosage? 

And can you give us a break down on your magnesium type/dose through one day?

#53 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:41 AM

I do not have a set schedule of timing, nor do I follow a specific protocol. Tomorrow might be different. It depends if I want to mix Ascorbic Acid with Milk of Magnesia. Today will be about 2 grams of elemental Magnesium. . I have been taking close to 2 grams of elemental Magnesium for years. It tends to help with leg cramps. Other than that, the only noticeable benefit is when I am taking Magnesium L-Threonate. My main point for you was that Glycinate and Malate might serve different purposes, and not be interchangeable. You will have to judge that. Some people can not tolerate high doses, but I have no problem, but I spread my doses out.

This AM, I took 50 mg Magnesium as Magnesium Oxide in my multi. Also took 225 mgs of Magnesium from Magnesium Citrate and 250 mgs of extended release Magnesium as Dimagnesium Malate.

A few hours later, I took 1/2 teaspoon of Magnesium Acetate powder which as best I can estimate is a little less than 400 mgs of elemental Magnesium.

This afternoon, I took 50 mgs Magnesium as Magnesium oxide ,125 mgs Magnesium as extended release Dimagnesium Malate.and 225 mgs of Magnesium as Magnesium Citrate.

At bedtime, I will take 250 mgs of elemental Magnesium as extended release Dimagnesium Malate and between 300 and 400 mgs of Magnesium from about 1/2 teaspoon of Magnesium Glycinate.

#54 experimenting

• 639 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:34 PM

Anyone used magnesium to fight hypercalcemia? If so what's your protocol?

#55 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:14 PM

I do not have a set schedule of timing, nor do I follow a specific protocol. Tomorrow might be different. It depends if I want to mix Ascorbic Acid with Milk of Magnesia. Today will be about 2 grams of elemental Magnesium. . I have been taking close to 2 grams of elemental Magnesium for years. It tends to help with leg cramps. Other than that, the only noticeable benefit is when I am taking Magnesium L-Threonate. My main point for you was that Glycinate and Malate might serve different purposes, and not be interchangeable. You will have to judge that. Some people can not tolerate high doses, but I have no problem, but I spread my doses out.

This AM, I took 50 mg Magnesium as Magnesium Oxide in my multi. Also took 225 mgs of Magnesium from Magnesium Citrate and 250 mgs of extended release Magnesium as Dimagnesium Malate.

A few hours later, I took 1/2 teaspoon of Magnesium Acetate powder which as best I can estimate is a little less than 400 mgs of elemental Magnesium.

This afternoon, I took 50 mgs Magnesium as Magnesium oxide ,125 mgs Magnesium as extended release Dimagnesium Malate.and 225 mgs of Magnesium as Magnesium Citrate.

At bedtime, I will take 250 mgs of elemental Magnesium as extended release Dimagnesium Malate and between 300 and 400 mgs of Magnesium from about 1/2 teaspoon of Magnesium Glycinate.

Any opinion on how much Magnesium is too much?

#56 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:55 PM

I do appreciate you bringing up the possibility.

I have no opinion about too much Magnesium generally.  I was thinking about the possible issues related to that after my post above. Given my test of a form which claims to show increases in not only serum but also RBC Magnesium, I am going to stop the 450 mgs from Magnesium Citrate.

My last Creatinine was 0.84 on a reference of <1.34 on 05/02/2018. My only Magnesium test on 11-14-2017 was 1.9 on a range of 1.7 to 2.3. I guess that was serum.

#57 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:19 AM

Any opinion on how much Magnesium is too much?

Think that could be highly individual. Run into a severe Mg-deficiency 10 years ago, which I tried to counteract with increasing amounts of oral supplemented Mg. In my case that alleviated the very pain-full muscle cramps only somewhat. Even though I took in average about 1.6 g per day of elemental Mg (up to 2.4 g/d recently), serum Mg didn't reflect the deficiency at all, and with increased amounts of supplemented Mg rather decreased. RBC tests wasn't available. Only repeated whole blood Mg tests did indeed show the extent of my deficiency.

Only since 1 year got 'additional' 10 Mg-sulfate IVs. And since the 6th IV the cramps have ceased completely. Awaiting whole blood results any day now.

• Informative x 1

#58 MankindRising

• 178 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:22 AM

Magnesium chloride (as magnesium oil), no other forms of magnesium come close really.

#59 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:20 PM

I recently picked up this magnesium chloride and the taste is HORRIBLE

https://www.amazon.c...de liquid&psc=1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 MankindRising

• 178 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:20 PM

I recently picked up this magnesium chloride and the taste is HORRIBLE

https://www.amazon.c...de liquid&psc=1

Never knew magnesium chloride even existed in none-topical forms.

Why not just go with magnesium oil, has superior bioavailability.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magnesium, supplement, best, anxiety, sleep, insomnia, poll, stress, panic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users