Potassium Ascorbate And Cancer

potassium ascorbate cancer pantellini

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:44 AM

I didn't find any English writings about this therefore maybe it is not very well known and I think it may be of interest.

A brief History:

Potassium ascorbate is connected to the studies and researches of a biochemist from Florence (Italy) named Gianfrancesco Valsé Pantellini, his history started when in 1948 a friend of him achieved totally unexpected and absolutely extraordinary results about a terminal stomach cancer just drinking daily lemonade with baking soda.

It actually turned out that he was mistakenly using potassium bicarbonate instead of baking soda.

For about 20 years Doc. Pantellini studied the case until in 1970 and 1974 released two publications about it on the Rivista di Patologia Medica.

How it works:

The oxidatives processes caused by free radicals are responsible for the development of cancers.

It seems that the oxidative stress damages the cellular membrane structure, especially so the ATP-asi sodium-potassium (known as Na/K).

This leads to a depolarization (initially weak) and an increasing disruption in the transport mechanism of those two electrolytes which posses very different functions but very important indeed for the correct cellular functions (potassium is the main intracellular metabolic processes regulator by reversible salification of the amine and imini enzymes and proteins groups in slightly acid environment, sodium is the main alkali reserve regulator at extracellular level by reversible salification of carbolic enzymes and proteins groups in slightly acid environment).

That leads to an increasing change in the acid-base environment and of the oxide-reductions reactions between cytoplasmic molecules.

This may be the starting mechanism of the cellular cancer mutation.

Studies in the '30 by Moraveck and Kishi about the Rous sarcoma showed the cancerous cell to lack potassium and to be rich in sodium, the unbalance deepens as the cellular degeneration grows.

The described mechanism seems to be shared by all cancers as shown by analysis of the 4 blood electrolytes (sodium, calcium, potassium and magnesium).

This mechanism appear to be very dangerous for the cell because:

- starts a fast migration of calcium in the mitochondria which may be responsible for the mitogenic push.

- allows for a substantial glucose transport in the cytoplasm at a speed that increases as the sodium-potassium pump unbalance deepens (the only active control on the two electrolytes).  

Those processes lead to a cellular respiration disruption with reduction of oxidative phosphorylation and substantial increase of glycolisis.

Lactic acid production is increased too because of pyruvate reduction.

On top of that pyruvate works as an inhibitor in the starting of mitosis phase S, the constant decrease in pyruvate in the cytoplasm because of lactic acid conversion removes that inhibitory mechanism leading to an out of control cell proliferation.

The cellular PH changes to a slightly alkaline, cellular respiration changes too with a substantial change in the Krebs cycle.

All this changes lead to change in shape and method of action of protein and cytoplasm enzymes with an RNA polymerization and an incorrect transfer of information between periphery and DNA.

This lead to the DNA mutation and cancer development.

The hypothesis is that the degeneration is not due by a direct DNA damage but by a cytoplasm issue: a damage at peripheral level (the cellular membrane).

If this holds true it means that DNA can be strongly influenced by the cellular environment and by cell to cell signals.

On field experience and research by Doc. Pantellini shows that potassium ascorbate (especially in the new formulation with ribose) interferes with the above mechanisms protecting the cell from oxidative stress and stopping the uncontrolled proliferation.

This because of the ascorbic acid carrier proprieties for potassium (and with the ribose catalytic action) as a result of the heterocyclic structure and anti oxidant action.

The action is due to the potassium proprieties (leading cation and intracellular metabolic regulator) and the ascorbic acid carrier role (a role similar to the sodium-potassium pump in the specific case).

Introducing potassium in cancerous cell may cause the corresponding exit of sodium (therefore of glucose) from the intracellular environment.

The result may be:

- a new change in the local PH

- a fast decrease in nutrient reserve leading to a glycolisis reduction and reintroduction of mitosis inhibition

Potassium ascorbate may be a valid prevention tool because of its action of maintaining constant intracellular potassium levels because it will stop any sodium intrusion from the extracellular environment which seems to cause the cell changes into cancer.

Lately the formulation has been added of ribose whose catalytic action speeds up the process at which potassium is transferred to the cells.

I apologize for any incorrect technical term translation but I tried my best and I am confident whom is willing to understand should be able to do so.

The original paper (in Italian):

http://www.pantellini.org/?page_id=26

The protocol:

Potassium ascorbate has to be made each time mixing 150mg of ascorbic acid and 300mg of potassium bicarbonate in 20cc of water, let fizz (about 1 minute) and drink.

Ribose can be added in the amount of 3mg.

Don't use metallic spoons or containers.

Can't be prepared in advance (not even mixing just the powders) because it will oxidise (it turns yellow).

As prevention once a day in the morning 15 minutes before breakfast on an empty stomach.

As a therapy (if cancer is developing) 3 times a day, in the morning 15 minutes before breakfast on an empty stomach and 45 minutes before lunch and dinner.

Not to be taken the same day of chemotherapy.

It costs close to nothing, it can't do any arm, it may save your life (or at least give you a bit more of peace of mind).

• like x 4
  • Informative x 3
  • WellResearched x 1

#2 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:50 AM

The English version of the study as per the original website:

http://www.pantellin..._id=498&lang=en

Great job, aconita!

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 aconita

• Topic Starter
  • 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:01 AM

Jeez...I just missed that English version...

Thanks for pointing it out!

Probably a better reading than my translation. :)

#4 evilbaga

• 39 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:13 PM

Is the Potassium Bicarbonate for making wine on eBay good enough for this?

#5 evilbaga

• 39 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:12 PM

Potassium Ascorbate has to be made each time mixing 150mg Ascorbic Acid and 300mg of Potassium Bicarbonate

Do they weigh about the same? AKA - Can I eyeball 2 parts Potassium Bicarbonate to 1 part Ascorbic Acid?

#6 aconita

• Topic Starter
  • 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:47 PM

To both questions the answer is yes, the potassium bicarbonate for wine making is food grade and it is just perfect, potassium bicarbonate and ascorbic acid probably don't differ much in weight and you can definitely eyeball 2:1 as I do, anyway I don't think small differences here are going to interfere with the therapeutic action. 

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:24 PM

The compound can be extemporaneously (i.e. without any preparation) obtained by dissolving ascorbic acid (150 mg) and potassium bicarbonate (300 mg of which 117 mg potassium) in water. It has a pH level that tends to neutralize in less than a minute. The two components have to be dissolved in 20 cc water (about two fingers high) without using a metallic spoon (because of the potential risk of oxidation of the ascorbic acid).

Hmm, strange tiny amount of ascorbate in relation to potassium:

http://lpi.oregonsta...plemental-forms

Potassium ascorbate: The minimal requirement for potassium is thought to be between 1.6 and 2.0 g/day. Fruit and vegetables are rich sources of potassium, and a diet rich in fruit and vegetables may provide as much as 8 to 11 g/day. Acute and potentially fatal potassium toxicity (hyperkalemia) is thought to occur at a daily intake of about 18 g/day of potassium in adults. Individuals taking potassium-sparing diuretics and those with renal insufficiency (kidney failure) should avoid significant intake of potassium ascorbate. The purest form of commercially available potassium ascorbate contains 0.175 grams (175 mg) of potassium per gram of ascorbate (see Potassium).

(emphasis added by me)

Edited by pamojja, 23 December 2015 - 05:25 PM.

#8 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:47 PM

Hmm, strange tiny amount of ascorbate in relation to potassium:

http://lpi.oregonsta...plemental-forms

Potassium ascorbate: The minimal requirement for potassium is thought to be between 1.6 and 2.0 g/day. Fruit and vegetables are rich sources of potassium, and a diet rich in fruit and vegetables may provide as much as 8 to 11 g/day. Acute and potentially fatal potassium toxicity (hyperkalemia) is thought to occur at a daily intake of about 18 g/day of potassium in adults. Individuals taking potassium-sparing diuretics and those with renal insufficiency (kidney failure) should avoid significant intake of potassium ascorbate. The purest form of commercially available potassium ascorbate contains 0.175 grams (175 mg) of potassium per gram of ascorbate (see Potassium).

(emphasis added by me)

You had it in reverse - that sentence means that only 175mg potassium is contained in 1g of the product and the remaining 825mg is ascorbate.

So it is tiny amount of K and high amount of vit C :)

Edited by aribadabar, 23 December 2015 - 07:51 PM.

#9 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:24 PM

You had it in reverse - that sentence means that only 175mg potassium is contained in 1g of the product and the remaining 825mg is ascorbate.

So it is tiny amount of K and high amount of vit C :)

No, was taking about the paper presented by Aconita. Which mixes 300 mg of potassium bicarbonate with only 150 mg of ascorbic acid. 3 mg of ribbose is even tinier, considering that usually about 5 g/d are recommended.

#10 aconita

• Topic Starter
  • 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:58 PM

The proportion between potassium and ascorbic acid is confirmed by Wikipedia, strangely enough the English version is very poor while the Italian is more complete by far (usually it is the opposite):

Si ottiene per soluzione estemporanea a freddo in acqua di una parte di acido ascorbico e due parti di bicarbonato di potassio, i quali devono essere in forma cristallizzata purissima (livello di purezza non inferiore al 97%)

https://it.wikipedia...ato_di_potassio

Even for whom is not proficient with the Italian language it is easy to understand "one part ascorbic acid and two parts potassium bicarbonate".

Ribose is tiny but here it is used as an "absorption optimizer" so to speak, not as a therapeutic itself and relatively to potassium ascorbate is not even so tiny.

Potassium recommended dosages are very tiny too, I don't think there would be any reason for concerns in using much larger dosages but it is well possible that clinical researches showed that those dosages, even if tiny, are enough to sort the desired therapeutic effect.

Keep in mind that as an "out of the scheme protocol" the foundation is probably very concerned about keeping it very conservative in order to avoid possible too enthusiastic use leading to side effects in some individual, just what traditionalist doctors and the pharmaceutical industry are waiting for in order to wipe out foundation and cure.  

The fact that the foundation stresses in multiple occasions the need for medical consults before starting the therapy confirms how afraid and prudent they are.

#11 Groundhog Day

• 94 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 December 2015 - 02:34 AM

Dumb question:

I've got high serum bicarbonate levels and I haven't quite figured out why. Potassium bicarbonate would raise my levels, wouldn't it?

#12 aconita

• Topic Starter
  • 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:02 AM

Greater than normal levels can be seen with excessive vomiting, hyperaldosteronism and Cushing's syndrome

.http://www.mondofact...rum bicarbonate

It seems that serum bicarbonate may be effected by potassium bicarbonate but the amounts we are speaking about are really tiny therefore the magnitude of that has probably to be putted in perspective and maybe negligible.

A medical consult may be advisable in such a particular case, just to make sure.

I don't know if the Pantellini foundations doctors will answer by phone or e-mail to such question but if you like I can try to contact them, your serum bicarbonate values are probably necessary in order to get an answer.

#13 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 11:32 AM

does anybody perchance have the ratios for potassium carbonate (K2CO3) and ascorbic acid?

#14 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:21 PM

I used cheap PH strips to get a neutral solution - it's about 1g ascorbate to 0.25g potassium carbonate. it's not precise at all, but will get you in the ballpark. I didn't know potash would be so economical, my stash will last for a few years...

Edited by shp5, 10 June 2020 - 07:23 PM.

#15 RWhigham

• 509 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2020 - 01:06 AM

Theoretically 150 mg of ascorbic ac would only react with 28% of 300 mg of potassium bicarbonate.

300 mg of potassium bicarbonate requires (1.7612/1.0011) x 300 mg = 527.78 mg of ascorbic acid to completely react. 

Theory

• Potassium bicarbonate's formula is KHCO3 and its molar mass is 100.11 g/mol
  • Ascorbic acid's formula is C6H7HO6 and its molar mass is 176.12 g/mol.
  • Potassium ascorbate's formula is C6H7KO6 and its molar mass is 214.22.g/mol = 176.12  g/mol + 38.1 g/mol. 
  • Note that a K from K_bicarb replaced an H in ascorbic ac to make potassium ascorbate.  H = 1.00 g/mol   K = 39.1 g/mol
  • This takes 1 molecule each of potassium bicarbonate and ascorbic acid.
  • KHCO3 + C6H7HO6  =  C6H7KO6 + H2O + CO2   The CO2 mostly escapes as bubbles.

Shouldn't we use 600 mg of Ascorbic Ac with 300 mg of potassium bicarbonate?

Edited by RWhigham, 18 August 2020 - 01:10 AM.

• like x 1

#16 RWhigham

• 509 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2020 - 10:05 PM

• First I dissolved 1/16 tsp (approx 300 mg) of potassium bicarbonate in 1 tbsp of warm distilled water--stirring with a non-metallic (plastic) stirrer. There was no fizzing.
  • Then I added 1/16 tsp (approx 300 mg) of ascorbic acid. There was vigorous fizzing. I stirred until the vigorous fizzing stopped.
  • Then I added a 2nd 1/16 tsp of ascorbic acid. There was vigorous fizzing again. I stirred until the 2nd vigorous fizzing stopped.
  • I drank it before it occurred to me to see if I could invoke more fizzing with a 3rd dose of ascorbic acid (theoretically the K_bicarb was used up by the first two doses of ascorbic acid)

Edited by RWhigham, 18 August 2020 - 10:10 PM.

#17 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 10:35 AM

I used in average 24 g/d of ascorbic acid along with 1.4 g/d of elemental potassium (as citrate, bicarbonat and chloride powders, each at about 1/3) disolved in water during the last 12 years. No unwanted side-effects.

Edited by pamojja, 19 August 2020 - 10:52 AM.

#18 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 06:31 PM

Dumb question:

I've got high serum bicarbonate levels and I haven't quite figured out why. Potassium bicarbonate would raise my levels, wouldn't it?

Greater than normal levels can be seen with excessive vomiting, hyperaldosteronism and Cushing's syndrome

As Aconita wrote, other causes could be easily overriding. Just checked my 5 blood-gasses analyis going back to beginning of 2015. Only the first got higher than normal bicarbonate levels. All following are within normal.

What's interresting, 3 years before 2015 I slowly introduced and increased intake of a very Mg-rich mineral water (1g per liter), also containing almost 8 g/l bicarbonate. Only during 2015 my total bicarbonate intake exceeded above 10 g/d and stayed there since.

However, my blood pH before always above normal only came down to normal range in 2017.

#19 RWhigham

• 509 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 August 2020 - 06:45 PM

I used in average 24 g/d of ascorbic acid along with 1.4 g/d of elemental potassium (as citrate, bicarbonat and chloride powders, each at about 1/3) disolved in water during the last 12 years. No unwanted side-effects.

Ascorbic Acid 24 g/d:  Probably most people don't have bowel tolerance for so much. I find I can tolerate more when I take TR (time release) tablets.

Elemental Potassium 1.4 g/d: In the US the recommended dietary intake is 3.5 g to 4.7 g per day, and minimum mortality is associated with 2 to 4 g/d excreted in urine, but potassium supplements are limited to 99 mg, because the FDA found that people with kidney disease, frequently undiagnosed, can be severely damaged or killed by taking more than 99 mg per day from a supplement

In the past I took 6.5 g/d of potassium--1 tsp of k-citrate, 1/8 tsp every 2 hrs for a total of 8 doses--for 2 years to keep my urine alkaline in hopes of increasing my bone density. It kept my urine alkaline but it didn't increase my bone density. My MD strongly advised against "taking such a risk" but with healthy kidneys it's not a problem. (Incidentally, when urine is alkaline it turns cloudy if you excrete very much phosphorous, after eating cheese for example. A few drops of vinegar will clear the cloudiness).

Potassum ascorbate:

Then I added a 2nd 1/16 tsp of ascorbic acid. There was vigorous fizzing again. I stirred until the 2nd vigorous fizzing stopped.

Today I added a 3rd 1/16 tsp of Now Ascorbic Acid Crystals to my 1/16 tsp of potassium bicarbonate which was dissolved in a tbsp of warm distilled water. There wasn't vigorous fizzing like with the first two additions of ascorbic acid, just some tiny little bubbles. But it tasted a lot better.  So, from now on I'm adding 3/16 tsp of ascorbic acid and a dash of ribose to 1/16 tsp of patassium bicarbonate dissolved in 1 tbsp of warm water (6 sec in the microwave).

Edited by RWhigham, 19 August 2020 - 07:21 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: potassium ascorbate, cancer, pantellini

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users