• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside -- Dosing Frequency / Cycling?

nicotinamide riboside niagen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 brosci

• 269 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:05 PM

Would it be more ideal to supplement NR:

a) Everyday @ 1x 250mg

b) Throughout the day @ 3x (250mg + 125mg + 125mg?)

c) A few days on / a few days off?  (@ 1 dose or multiple doses?)

d) A week on / a week off?

e) A month on / month off?

I'm looking to avoid potential tolerance / down-regulation issues, or possible elevations in homocysteine / other potential issues.  It's also an expensive / under-studied supplement so I don't want to take more than is ideal.

#2 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:22 PM

Well, I was taking a gram a day. 500 first thing in the morning, then four additional pills every three or four hours. Now I'm down to half a gram, so 250 in the am and then 125 every four hours.

Does NR raise homocysteine? That's not good news...

#3 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:46 PM

The real answer is that we don't know. Chromadex completed pharamakinetics studies almost a year ago which they've chosen not to publish. They've cherry picked some info which they've publicized ...
We don't have a lot of half life data...or age adjusted NAD data.
If NR raises homocysteine , that isn't a problem. It's an easy fix. Just as with Metformin.
Taking methyl 5 folate reduces homocysteine and a simple blood test can monitor that.

That being said, given everything I've read ( thanks to Bryan ), I take 500 mg in the AM. I take an additional 250 mg late in the afternoon.
  • Informative x 1

#4 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for providing the real answer (we don't know). And common sense indicates that if ChromaDex had promising PK data for NR supplements "a year ago" then they probably would have published those results soon after. The fact that they haven't published seems to indicate that they didn't find any promising anti-aging evidence for NR.

#5 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:24 PM

The real answer is that we don't know. Chromadex completed pharamakinetics studies almost a year ago which they've chosen not to publish. They've cherry picked some info which they've publicized ...

Perhaps because they don't want you to know that NR is slowly cleaved to Nam and Ribose at the intestinal lining and that a nice slow, steady release Ribose formulation along with Inositol Hexanicotinate or mayhaps plain old maybe is a better and cheaper option?

Lets not forget good old Vit B2 = Riboflavin.  What are its pharmacokinetics?

• Good Point x 1

#6 brosci

• Topic Starter
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:54 PM

If NR raises homocysteine , that isn't a problem. It's an easy fix. Just as with Metformin.
Taking methyl 5 folate reduces homocysteine and a simple blood test can monitor that.

That being said, given everything I've read ( thanks to Bryan ), I take 500 mg in the AM. I take an additional 250 mg late in the afternoon.

For the 500mg Morning + 250mg Afternoon dose of NR, is the plan to keep that up indefinitely, every day?  I'm curious if there are any sorts of down-regulation / tolerance / long-term concerns or theoretical reasons to cycle this supplement?

Edited by brosci, 03 December 2015 - 08:56 PM.

#7 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:24 PM

Chromadex completed pharamakinetics studies almost a year ago which they've chosen not to publish. They've cherry picked some info which they've publicized ...

what the hell kind of nonsense is that?withholding critical medical data from people who could desperately use it because it might possibly negatively affect your bottom line? Or is there another reason?

I just hate stuff like that. If you've got the date of let people know what it is!

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Agree x 1

#8 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:27 PM

Perhaps because they don't want you to know that NR is slowly cleaved to Nam and Ribose at the intestinal lining and that a nice slow, steady release Ribose formulation along with Inositol Hexanicotinate or mayhaps plain old maybe is a better and cheaper option?

Lets not forget good old Vit B2 = Riboflavin.  What are its pharmacokinetics?

I mean… Maybe. But maybe not! We don't know and that is very frustrating. Although what you said is certainly possible

I know the Makers of niagen publicly claim you cannot take any other form of B3 and get the same results as NR gives, but without the actual data, we can't know for sure

We NEED MORE RESEARCH AND DATA!

• Agree x 1

#9 Oakman

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:29 PM

To the OP's point, I've taken NR regularly in these doses:

1) 125mg x1/d &125mg x2/d

2) 250 x1/d  & 250mg x2/d

3) 333mg x1/d & x2/d

5) 500mg / 250mg /d

7) 666mg / 333mg /d

So basically from 125mg/d to 1g/d. Was any noticeable positive difference with these differing amts of NR? No, not really, I couldn't swear there was.

But I take numerous other supplements, mostly herbal, which would obviously skew subjective opinion. And getting 'clear' for a week or 10 days,  typically when I notice a strange feeling, allows reflection and adjustment.

In 9 months taking NR, I've stopped totally three times due to this. Typically, I get some soreness in the upper body/chest/under rib cage area. When it stops, I slowly rebuild the supplement stack, as I said, changing things a bit. Since there zero to no research about the actual health benefits of NR **in healthy humans** (other than raising NAD+ levels), ones own body sense has to be the best guide at this point. And so for me, at this point, anything strange, and I pause.

As others say, I wish someone would come out with definitive advice as to dose and real benefit (not just NAD+ levels), just anything really to use a guidance, but it appears that the powers that be either don't want to, or lack sufficient data to make such recommendations.

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#10 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:32 PM

what the hell kind of nonsense is that?withholding critical medical data from people who could desperately use it because it might possibly negatively affect your bottom line? Or is there another reason?

I just hate stuff like that. If you've got the date of let people know what it is!

Welcome to the capitalistic society where $ reigns supreme.

Given their muteness on the subject and some reports here that NR is more or less Nam+R at higher doses, I wouldn't bother filling Chromadex's coffers with my money.

Edited by aribadabar, 05 June 2017 - 11:34 PM.

• Good Point x 2
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Agree x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#11 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:55 PM

I have been taking 300mg a day for 18 months but have now cut down to 100mg.

Edited by Gerrans, 26 June 2017 - 02:59 PM.

#12 ryukenden

• 232 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:11 PM

I have been taking 300mg a day for 18 months but have now cut down to 100mg.

Why have you cut down?

#13 Ovidus

• 131 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:54 AM

Gentlemen,

Any new data or anecdotal observations about the need to cycle NR?
Do we have any evidence at all that one should take occasional breaks from NR (due to whatever reason... upregulation of its degradation, tolerance, cancer promotion.... anything).

Or does it still look like if one has decided to take it, one may as well take NR continuously with no breaks at all?

Thanks to all 

#14 whileitravel

• 29 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:49 PM

David Sinclair isn't utilizing NR, why should we?

• dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide riboside, niagen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users