* * * * * 1 votes

Skeletal muscle as an endocrine organ

muscle endocrine myokine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 proileri

• 80 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:29 PM

Apparently there's some recent interest in myokines and muscle endocrine function. Seems to be a lot of different signalling molecules, including interleukins, neurotrophic factors and anti-tumorigenic factors, which would help to explain some of the health benefits of exercise.

I thought to look into this a bit, and I decided to make this post to remind me of the topic ;) 

Here's one recent article I'm starting with:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC4657151/

Summary image from the article:

emss-66124-f0002.jpg

Edited by proileri, 10 December 2015 - 11:33 PM.

• like x 2

#2 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:16 AM

Definetly true. I have always noted the astounding difference in overall mood, appetite, sleep and so on after a bout of heavy lifting.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 drew_ab

• 121 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

The thing that worries me about lifting heavy is the whole arterial stiffness thing, discussed here a while back.

#4 proileri

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:58 AM

The thing that worries me about lifting heavy is the whole arterial stiffness thing, discussed here a while back.

My understanding is that the high blood pressure spikes that can cause arterial stiffness occur only under very heavy loads, while you can also get benefits by doing medium or even low resistance exercises, as long as you work the muscle close to failure. 

IIRC the stiffness can also be compensated by doing some cardio exercise. 

Edited by proileri, 16 December 2015 - 03:59 AM.

#5 phix

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:30 AM

How about some post-workout cardio/stretching? Wasn't it effective to deal with that? 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:30 PM

Checkout Transmutation, Alex Putney explains it well.
Phosphotidyl Choline is good to reverse lots of things, like artirial hardening, just make sure you get enough of other stuff as it makes the body work well at using its nutrients. Must fly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: muscle, endocrine, myokine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users