Critique My Diet Please

diet nutrition lifestyle critique

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Sith

• 161 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 03:33 PM

Greetings everybody.

So it would be a massive help if you amazing people could help critique and improve my diet, I have always found the conflicting information to be very confusing and slightly mind boggling. 

So my diet takes inspiration from the best bits of many diets. So I class myself as semi-pescetarian and I eat a lot of Salmon in a week with occasional meat (no more than twice a week); I never eat red meats. My diet takes inspiration from the Mediterranean diet in the sense that I consume limited amounts of saturated fat and A LOT of olive oil. I never eat processed foods, I only ever eat 'natural' and 'real' foods, this is the component of my diet that is influenced by the paleo diet. Vegetables form a large majority of my diet with daily fruit consumption. But most of all, a lot of my calories come from fat sources such as olive oil, avocados, seeds and nuts. As well as this, from my indian heritage, I consume a lot of indian spices such as turmeric.

So in one day:

Breakfast

A smoothie consisting of a handful of spinach, a handful of kale, heaps of flaxseed, 1 whole avocado, a cup of coconut water, a mix of hemp seed; more flaxseed; pumpkin seed and sunflower seed as well as a handful of blueberries and one whole banana.

Lunch

Baked salmon, steam vegetable mix (mostly green vegetables), and sweet potato

Dinner

Indian style vegetables with olive oil, cooked with a whole host of indian spices with yogurt on the side. 

Supper

2 large red apples, with a large handful of black vine grapes, small portion of goji berries, cocoa nibs, walnuts and brazil nuts. 

THIS IS CONFUSED IN AN 8 HOUR PERUOD. I PRACTICE INTERMITTENT FASTING 

So please go ahead and critique.  :-D 

• like x 1

#2 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:13 PM

Salmon is a farmed fish, since I doubt you are getting wild salmon I consider it a bad choice.

Farmed fish is horribly loaded with all sort of drugs and chemicals, for example farmed salmon gets artificial astaxanthin (a petrol byproduct) in order to achieve the typical pink color.

Avoid fish that can be farmed and choose wild one instead, mackerel are delicious, omega 3 loaded, cheap and can't be farmed (or at least nobody does), herrings too are wonderful (the most creatine loaded food available), etc...   

What kind of lifestyle do you have?

In order to be able to judge a nutritional plan it has to be put in perspective to the lifestyle: a yogi meditating all day has different nutritional needs than a competitive athlete or a miner. :)

• Needs references x 2
  • Ill informed x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Sith

• Topic Starter
  • 161 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:33 PM

Salmon is a farmed fish, since I doubt you are getting wild salmon I consider it a bad choice.

Farmed fish is horribly loaded with all sort of drugs and chemicals, for example farmed salmon gets artificial astaxanthin (a petrol byproduct) in order to achieve the typical pink color.

Avoid fish that can be farmed and choose wild one instead, mackerel are delicious, omega 3 loaded, cheap and can't be farmed (or at least nobody does), herrings too are wonderful (the most creatine loaded food available), etc...

What kind of lifestyle do you have?

In order to be able to judge a nutritional plan it has to be put in perspective to the lifestyle: a yogi meditating all day has different nutritional needs than a competitive athlete or a miner. :)

Thank you for your reply.

Most of my Salmon does tend to be wild caught rather than farmed. My lifestyle is quite literally void of exercise, something I'm working on improving, apart from this, it's pretty generic and I don't engage in other unhealthy activities. I'm a non-diabetic on Metformin, I take 5000mg of vitamin D3 and cod-liver oil.

#4 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:43 PM

I think your diet looks great. Keep it up -- that's the challenge -- to eat well day in and day out. And eating consistently healthy is also about what foods and beverages to avoid. Keep avoiding processed junk and sugary drinks (juices, alcohol, pop...) and all the garbage that you seem to already know well to avoid.

I agree with the salmon comments above. Avoid the farm raised creatures because of their pollutant concerns. Visit a salmon farm, and see for yourself. But even the "wild caught" salmon species appear to have issues, too. Recommendations to young children and pregnant women, for example, suggest limiting even wild caught Alaskan species. Poor planet earth. So even though you may not be in that demographic -- young child or preg woman -- that' warning to them is a red flag for me. Go vegan! Or maybe try sardines instead, since they're smaller animals, and may accumulate fewer horors before their deaths?

My only other opinion about your posted diet is to reconsider regular consumption of Brazil nuts. They're super-high in selenium, and their high levels appear to be unpredictable from crop to crop, nut to nut. I can cite references, but they're easily found in your own indie search.
  • like x 3

#5 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:50 AM

Your diet looks pretty awesome and thus difficult to critique. 

However, I would consider adding a little more protein. Not saying to overdo it. Just add some organic grass fed chicken at least. 

You'd be surprised just how important adequate high quality protein is for energy metabolism. 

Apples are fine, but for dinner? I am not so sure I would consume them that close to bed time. They should be an early in the day food as opposed to a late at night or even early at night food. 

Nuts and seeds are okay but I would limit them to just a very small snack food and not view them as a significant source of calories or protein. A couple handfuls a day adds some great nutrients and minerals to your diet but don't go beyond that. 

Dark Chocolate is a great superfood that happens to also be delicious. Consider adding a couple pieces a day for some extra Flavonoids

Other than that everything else looks great. 

• Ill informed x 1
  • like x 1

#6 Sith

• Topic Starter
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:09 PM

I think your diet looks great. Keep it up -- that's the challenge -- to eat well day in and day out. And eating consistently healthy is also about what foods and beverages to avoid. Keep avoiding processed junk and sugary drinks (juices, alcohol, pop...) and all the garbage that you seem to already know well to avoid.

I agree with the salmon comments above. Avoid the farm raised creatures because of their pollutant concerns. Visit a salmon farm, and see for yourself. But even the "wild caught" salmon species appear to have issues, too. Recommendations to young children and pregnant women, for example, suggest limiting even wild caught Alaskan species. Poor planet earth. So even though you may not be in that demographic -- young child or preg woman -- that' warning to them is a red flag for me. Go vegan! Or maybe try sardines instead, since they're smaller animals, and may accumulate fewer horors before their deaths?

My only other opinion about your posted diet is to reconsider regular consumption of Brazil nuts. They're super-high in selenium, and their high levels appear to be unpredictable from crop to crop, nut to nut. I can cite references, but they're easily found in your own indie search.

However, I would consider adding a little more protein. Not saying to overdo it. Just add some organic grass fed chicken at least. 

You'd be surprised just how important adequate high quality protein is for energy metabolism. 

Apples are fine, but for dinner? I am not so sure I would consume them that close to bed time. They should be an early in the day food as opposed to a late at night or even early at night food. 

Nuts and seeds are okay but I would limit them to just a very small snack food and not view them as a significant source of calories or protein. A couple handfuls a day adds some great nutrients and minerals to your diet but don't go beyond that. 

Dark Chocolate is a great superfood that happens to also be delicious. Consider adding a couple pieces a day for some extra Flavonoids

Thank you so much both of you! That advice is really helpful and I do appreciate it. And I am reconsidering my Salmon intake due to the toxins and pollutants you speak of and increasing my protein slightly.  :)

It is such a shame that we are limited in eating what we like due to our polluting of the earth.  :sad:

How is your diets if you don't mind me asking?  :-D

#7 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:53 PM

^ I eat much like you do. :-) Meaning I don't eat fish, red meat, chicken, pigs, dairy... I'm an ethical vegan -- I don't like the suffering of animals caught in machines. I've seen too much of that firsthand awfulness in the industry to ever go back and support it in any way whatsoever period, exclamation point.

A Mediterranean vegan diet works well for me. Like you, I do A LOT of olive oil (www.amphora-nueva.com). Like you, I never eat processed foods, and strive for only "natural" and "real" foods, like you described. I eat loads of greens -- collards, kale, mustard-g's, chard, spinach, beet greens, more and more greens, I try to get greens locally and organic because I think there are more reasons to eat well beyond our own personal health. I stuff greens down like a gorilla, though. And avocados, seeds, nuts, legumes, and I avoid no fruit of any species (even if they're highly-bred and manipulated sugar bombs which most modern fruits seem to be...) I eat loads of berries -- but they're so damned expensive -- raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, and of course that ubiquitous superstar, the almighty blueberry. I eat sweet potatoes, purple potatoes, and I steam all my veggies -- broccoli, cabbage, greens, artichokes, beets, rhubarb, Brussels sprouts, you're making me hungry... Michael Pollan had a big influence on my diet, as do the calorie restriction folks (CRON diet people).

The only things I don't eat (which are really healthy) are onions, garlic, leeks, what's that family called, allums? My body hates them.

I eat a lot of spices, too.

This may sound dorky -- but before eating anything, I ask myself -- what's the very healthiest food I can put into my body that's causing the least amount of damage, and having the smallest footprint on planet earth? Then I hope I'm making the right choice. Diet shouldn't be religion, but it should be close, I think. Close meaning local and sustainable and ethical.
  • like x 4

#8 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:39 PM

Thank you so much both of you! That advice is really helpful and I do appreciate it. And I am reconsidering my Salmon intake due to the toxins and pollutants you speak of and increasing my protein slightly.  :)

It is such a shame that we are limited in eating what we like due to our polluting of the earth.  :sad:

How is your diets if you don't mind me asking?  :-D

I go through cycles. 

Sometimes I am pescetarian for a few weeks, eating nothing but Vegetables and seafood. And sometimes I am omnivorous for a few weeks, eating nothing but vegetables and meat (including poultry, beef and pork).

I don't know why I do this, but I always make sure I include a lot of vegetables. I do notice that when I keep the diet low carb, medium protein I don't need to exercise as much to get my abs to show. Not sure what benefit this is too overall health but I am sure lower body fat is an extreme contributor to end results of health. 

Two inclusions. Dark Chocolate and Greek Yogurt. 

The chocolate because of multiple factors. Particularly the flavonoids. 

The Yogurt primarily due to the probiotics. 

Nuts are a small percentage of my diet. Because otherwise it's easy to splurge on them.

The other benefit to eating an omnivorous paleo type diet is satiety. When I include quality red meat a couple times a week my satiety index is helped a lot. 

I get hungrier faster after eating nothing but fish as a meat source for weeks, or even chicken. 

Mix it up. 

#9 1jol1uvcaaq

• 71 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:16 AM

It's a diet that's a step up from S.A.D, but not one that will give you any longevity benefits. If you choose to continue this diet, I recommend taking digestive enzymes. Enzymes will help digest your indigestible food and your mucoid plaque.

Edited by 1jol1uvcaaq, 28 December 2015 - 02:17 AM.

• Needs references x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#10 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:23 AM

It's a diet that's a step up from S.A.D, but not one that will give you any longevity benefits. If you choose to continue this diet, I recommend taking digestive enzymes. Enzymes will help digest your indigestible food and your mucoid plaque.

^^^ Don't listen to this non-sense. Your diet is way better than the standard American diet. 

• Needs references x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#11 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:13 AM

^^^ Don't listen to this non-sense. Your diet is way better than the standard American diet.

Yeah I agree. Your diet is solid. Keep doing what you're doing. No "longevity diet" has been identified to exist yet. CR may extend healthy lifespan in rhesus monkeys (http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/24691430/) but even CR is debatable as a longevity diet for primates and humans.

If you really want to explore the depths of those seeking a longer life through diet, go hang out with these peeps for a bit: https://www.crsociety.org/index
  • Well Written x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#12 1jol1uvcaaq

• 71 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:21 AM

When I was in my 20s, I was wrong to believe I was in the prime of my health. I was eating brown rice, salmon, chicken, grains, vegetables, and fruits.I was going to the gym five times a week working out 2 hours each time. I had no idea what health was and many of you are in my same position. I was stressing my body out with these toxic enviroments and "food".

My path is not a temporal longevity, but an inner eternity.

Edited by 1jol1uvcaaq, 28 December 2015 - 03:21 AM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • Needs references x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#13 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:42 AM

When I was in my 20s, I was wrong to believe I was in the prime of my health. I was eating brown rice, salmon, chicken, grains, vegetables, and fruits.I was going to the gym five times a week working out 2 hours each time. I had no idea what health was and many of you are in my same position. I was stressing my body out with these toxic enviroments and "food".

My path is not a temporal longevity, but an inner eternity.

I enjoy dabbling in the secret and Law of attraction as well but there are separate fields for separate subjects. Spirituality is one aspect of longevity, dietary knowledge is quite another.

It's kinda futile to assume one thing is the answer. I'm surprised you're older. I would expect this from a 17 year old sir. 

• Agree x 1

#14 1jol1uvcaaq

• 71 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:31 AM

My intentions are to help people heal from disease and get healthy. Thank you.

Edited by 1jol1uvcaaq, 28 December 2015 - 05:34 AM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2

#15 Sith

• Topic Starter
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:24 PM

Yeah I agree. Your diet is solid. Keep doing what you're doing. No "longevity diet" has been identified to exist yet. CR may extend healthy lifespan in rhesus monkeys (http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/24691430/) but even CR is debatable as a longevity diet for primates and humans.

If you really want to explore the depths of those seeking a longer life through diet, go hang out with these peeps for a bit: https://www.crsociety.org/index

Thank you for your replies. They have been so insightful and quite motivating as well! Thanks!  :-D

My intentions are to help people heal from disease and get healthy. Thank you.

Just out of interest, What is your diet actually like?  :wacko:

#16 1jol1uvcaaq

• 71 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:37 PM

I have perfected my diet over the years, but this does not mean it will work for everybody. I only try to get people to make progress and not hurt themselves. I eat a ketogenic diet on top of intermittent fasting.

#17 Sith

• Topic Starter
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:48 PM

I have perfected my diet over the years, but this does not mean it will work for everybody. I only try to get people to make progress and not hurt themselves. I eat a ketogenic diet on top of intermittent fasting.

Can you give us a snapshot of what you would eat in an average day?

#18 1jol1uvcaaq

• 71 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:31 PM

Breakfast: coffee

Lunch: tea with stevia and 2 tbs of MCT oil

Dinner: steak, salad with coconut oil and butter, macadamia nuts, sometimes a potato

• dislike x 3
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#19 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:28 AM

Dinner: steak, salad with coconut oil and butter, macadamia nuts, sometimes a potato

The cool thing about human beings is that we can survive on just about anything edible. Even a diet consisting exclusively of beans, rice, and water would allow us to thrive decade after decade in reasonably good health. We really don't need much.
  • unsure x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#20 1jol1uvcaaq

• 71 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:58 AM

The cool thing about human beings is that we can survive on just about anything edible. Even a diet consisting exclusively of beans, rice, and water would allow us to thrive decade after decade in reasonably good health. We really don't need much.

Humans can survive on beans, rice, and water, but they definitely will not thrive. The longest living people did not eat beans as a staple. Beans are proven to be toxic due to their lectins.

Edited by 1jol1uvcaaq, 29 December 2015 - 01:04 AM.

• Ill informed x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#21 Sith

• Topic Starter
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:35 PM

I'm sorry but this is far from perfect... You're missing so many essential nutrients, you're regularly consuming red meat and far too many saturated fats, some may not be unhealthy but compared to MUFAS and Poly's, they really are inferior. Sorry, I had to make it explicit. 

• Agree x 3
  • Good Point x 1

#22 Juangalt

• 67 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:17 PM

Sith: Your diet isn't very far from perfect. Contrary to what 1jol says, you should live very long eating this diet. This may be nitpicking, but if I were you I would lose some of the fruit, especially the bananas and grapes, as they have a high glycemic index and some dangerous fructose. You could replace with some grass fed beef, free range chicken if you wanted to add protein. You could also try adding garlic or onions. Make sure you're eating different vegetables from time to time also. I do really like 1jol's dietary concept (ketogenic IF); I just hope that he doesn't eat the exact same thing every day. That would be dangerous. I would think his diet was almost ideal if the "salad" was varied each night and the "steak" was fish half of the time. Also, vary your root vegetables. Try a couple sunchokes along with your potatoes or sweet potatoes.

• Good Point x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#23 1jol1uvcaaq

• 71 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:16 PM

I'm sorry but this is far from perfect... You're missing so many essential nutrients, you're regularly consuming red meat and far too many saturated fats, some may not be unhealthy but compared to MUFAS and Poly's, they really are inferior. Sorry, I had to make it explicit. 

This is one of the most nutrient dense diets on the planets! Saturated fatty acids are one of the most health promoting and life giving substances known to man! Coconut oil has been used medicinally for years.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 4
  • Disagree x 1

#24 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:52 AM

This is one of the most nutrient dense diets on the planets! Saturated fatty acids are one of the most health promoting and life giving substances known to man! Coconut oil has been used medicinally for years.
The general consensus is that health gains are most likely from dietary patterns that include adequate consumption of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, fibre, and fish, and that are low in red and processed meats, saturated fats, sugary beverages, and salt.

Edited by sthira, 30 December 2015 - 02:53 AM.

• Needs references x 3
  • Agree x 2
  • WellResearched x 1

#25 Juangalt

• 67 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:44 PM

The general consensus is that health gains are most likely from dietary patterns that include adequate consumption of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, fibre, and fish, and that are low in red and processed meats, saturated fats, sugary beverages, and salt.

Is it? It seems like there are a lot of people talking about the negatives of whole grains, legumes and even fruit. Also, there are many people praising red meat and certain saturated fats.

My theory, and probably that of many others is that it isn't red meat that's bad for you, but the type of red meat that has been overfed Omega-6 rich grains in poor conditions is. Fish are healthier because they have escaped this for the most part, or don't collect the same amount of fat. Wild fish has a higher proportion of Omega-3, just like grass fed cows do. Any negative statement about "red meat" should differentiate between whether grass fed or factory farmed meat is being talked about, because there is a difference.

When we talk about health, there is also a need to differentiate between longevity and overall vitality. If I were going for longevity, I would eat less protein and less saturated fat. If I were going for vitality I would eat more protein and more saturated fat. Personally, my plan is to go from a higher protein, higher fat diet (low carb to ketogenic) and then transition in my 40's and 50's to a more plant based diet with less protein and focus more on longevity.

• Ill informed x 3

#26 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:57 PM

then transition in my 40's and 50's to a more plant based diet with less protein and focus more on longevity.

See you when you'll be there...

Curious to see if right when your energy and vitality starts to fade you'll be so keen to retire and focus on longevity at expense of quality of life (according to your statements, of course). :)

#27 aza

• 128 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:32 AM

Sith, diet looks great but you may want to run it through a nutrient tracker like cronometer just to see if you get enough of everything. You might want to add some natto/cheese/grass fed animal products for vitamin k2. Maybe a few eggs/tiny amount of organ meat for choline+ a small amount of preformed vitamin A (not sure if necessary, i just think that its likely to have some benefits that pro vitamin a carotenes dont have and could be useful if someone doesnt convert beta carotene well, but i think eating veggies with fat should cover most vitamin a bases)

Juangalt, not many people are against fruit and when they are it is usually because of sugar content. But fruit is more than a bag of sugar and cant be cant be compared to refined sugar.

Being cautious against grains and legumes i understand, but i have no problem eating them traditionally prepared. For example i eat natto and sprouted oats/barley from time to time.

Edited by aza, 31 December 2015 - 02:35 AM.

• like x 1

#28 Juangalt

• 67 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:39 AM

I don't have any particular objection to fruit. My ideal diet would include a little fruit, especially berries. But there is a growing movement of people who shun fructose completely(though none that would consider it deadly).

#29 aza

• 128 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:49 AM

Personally, i think its fine unless liver glycogen gets topped off all the time. Although i haven't looked into it too much tbh. Since the smallest figure for liver glycogen ive seen is around 50g and i do intermittent fasting. I keep my sugar intake capped at around 80g, although i could eat more when i do some vigorous exercise i generally prefer eating starch.

Edited by aza, 31 December 2015 - 02:51 AM.

#30 Sith

• Topic Starter
  • 161 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:25 PM

Sith: Your diet isn't very far from perfect. Contrary to what 1jol says, you should live very long eating this diet. This may be nitpicking, but if I were you I would lose some of the fruit, especially the bananas and grapes, as they have a high glycemic index and some dangerous fructose. You could replace with some grass fed beef, free range chicken if you wanted to add protein. You could also try adding garlic or onions. Make sure you're eating different vegetables from time to time also. I do really like 1jol's dietary concept (ketogenic IF); I just hope that he doesn't eat the exact same thing every day. That would be dangerous. I would think his diet was almost ideal if the "salad" was varied each night and the "steak" was fish half of the time. Also, vary your root vegetables. Try a couple sunchokes along with your potatoes or sweet potatoes.

Thank you so much! It is very reassuring to hear this from someone. I will take onboard the comments about the bananas and grapes, perhaps I will go and find less sugary substitutes for them. The joy of an indian influence is that I do add A LOT of garlic, ginger and onion to meals (in a healthy way) of course. Again thanks for the helpful advice!  :-D

Sith, diet looks great but you may want to run it through a nutrient tracker like cronometer just to see if you get enough of everything. You might want to add some natto/cheese/grass fed animal products for vitamin k2. Maybe a few eggs/tiny amount of organ meat for choline+ a small amount of preformed vitamin A (not sure if necessary, i just think that its likely to have some benefits that pro vitamin a carotenes dont have and could be useful if someone doesnt convert beta carotene well, but i think eating veggies with fat should cover most vitamin a bases)

Juangalt, not many people are against fruit and when they are it is usually because of sugar content. But fruit is more than a bag of sugar and cant be cant be compared to refined sugar.

Being cautious against grains and legumes i understand, but i have no problem eating them traditionally prepared. For example i eat natto and sprouted oats/barley from time to time.

Thanks so much! Again, this information is very informative and sounds great. I wasn't even aware of what cronometer was, I shall definitely take a good look at that, it see,s invaluable. Thanks for that! I will take onboard the advice and information.  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diet, nutrition, lifestyle, critique

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users