• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

If the FDA governed the other sciences....

rant rave

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:37 AM

If the FDA oversaw the other sciences and engineering and education, we would be living with state of the art 1930s technology.

Its funny while the other branches of science make leaps every generation, the procedures and medicines and technology used in hospitals today is damn near the same as 1996, 20 years ago. Sure some improvements with minimally invasive surgeries are now more common, but as a whole nothing has changed or kept pace with the other sciences.

We still haven't even cured simple things like insomnia and psoriasis.

The FDA and government regulation have suffocated the life out of medicine. If those same rules were ported over to engineering we'd still be crossing the oceans in zeppelins.

Just ranting a little......
  • Needs references x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:52 AM

The same as the 1960s I'd say. The only conclusion one can reach is that our governments actually want us to die.
Maybe there have been some breakthroughs people no longer die of heart attacks in such large numbers and ulcers are now seen not to be caused by stress. Other than that pretty much the same as the 1960s. One wonders what medical research is really for

#3 Rocket

• Topic Starter
  • 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:10 PM

The same as the 1960s I'd say. The only conclusion one can reach is that our governments actually want us to die.
Maybe there have been some breakthroughs people no longer die of heart attacks in such large numbers and ulcers are now seen not to be caused by stress. Other than that pretty much the same as the 1960s. One wonders what medical research is really for

All the billions spent year after year, and all there is to show for it is a new anti-depressant every couple of years? Really? 

If the collective "we" treated aging and medical research the saw way we treated national defense, life expectancy would probably be 150.

I used to think that they didn't want us to die until they took Zicam (the original formula) off the market.  In all the years that it was available, I never once had a cold using the nasal zinc.  My wife never had a cold either.  As soon as we started to get sick we would swab our noses and 'pesto!' we never got sick.  The year they took it off the market, we got colds again.  The stuff literally did what it said it did and knocked out the cold before you got sick if you caught it early enough.

I'm not a conspiracy nut, but in the case of Zicam, there was a conspiracy to take it off the market because it worked.  Everyone I knew who used never came down sick with a cold.  It worked.  It cost the medical community millions in lost revenue. It was removed from the market.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:57 PM

All the billions spent year after year, and all there is to show for it is a new anti-depressant every couple of years? Really?

If the collective "we" treated aging and medical research the saw way we treated national defense, life expectancy would probably be 150.

I used to think that they didn't want us to die until they took Zicam (the original formula) off the market. In all the years that it was available, I never once had a cold using the nasal zinc. My wife never had a cold either. As soon as we started to get sick we would swab our noses and 'pesto!' we never got sick. The year they took it off the market, we got colds again. The stuff literally did what it said it did and knocked out the cold before you got sick if you caught it early enough.

I'm not a conspiracy nut, but in the case of Zicam, there was a conspiracy to take it off the market because it worked. Everyone I knew who used never came down sick with a cold. It worked. It cost the medical community millions in lost revenue. It was removed from the market.

I looked up Zicam on the FDA's site, and apparently the product was recalled by the company that produces and sells it because of Burkholderia cepacia concerns. Or do you know more?

I agree that if we treated the disease of aging with the support and massive budgets we give national defense then major advancements would accelerate. But we get the government we deserve, don't we -- few people vote, stay engaged, educate themselves on the policies that will actually improve their lives, get distracted and confused by sensational media, outrageous radio talk shows, and the extremists seem to shout out the more intelligent voices.

But back to the FDA, reading up at the site itself may be helpful. http://www.fda.gov/A...ion/default.htm

But the point is we get the FDA we deserve -- we can change it if we want, collectively, but we don't, because evidently we don't care, and we (again collectively "we") aren't changing the FDA because we'd rather titilate our senses than pursue long, healthy lives -- and most people in the US have poor health due to lifestyle choices, not lack of advances in FDA policies.

#5 Rocket

• Topic Starter
  • 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:04 PM

I used to think that they didn't want us to die until they took Zicam (the original formula) off the market. In all the years that it was available, I never once had a cold using the nasal zinc. My wife never had a cold either. As soon as we started to get sick we would swab our noses and 'pesto!' we never got sick. The year they took it off the market, we got colds again. The stuff literally did what it said it did and knocked out the cold before you got sick if you caught it early enough.

I'm not a conspiracy nut, but in the case of Zicam, there was a conspiracy to take it off the market because it worked. Everyone I knew who used never came down sick with a cold. It worked. It cost the medical community millions in lost revenue. It was removed from the market.

I looked up Zicam on the FDA's site, and apparently the product was recalled by the company that produces and sells it because of Burkholderia cepacia concerns. Or do you know more?

I agree that if we treated the disease of aging with the support and massive budgets we give national defense then major advancements would accelerate. But we get the government we deserve, don't we -- few people vote, stay engaged, educate themselves on the policies that will actually improve their lives, get distracted and confused by sensational media, outrageous radio talk shows, and the extremists seem to shout out the more intelligent voices.

But back to the FDA, reading up at the site itself may be helpful. http://www.fda.gov/A...ion/default.htm

But the point is we get the FDA we deserve -- we can change it if we want, collectively, but we don't, because evidently we don't care, and we (again collectively "we") aren't changing the FDA because we'd rather titilate our senses than pursue long, healthy lives -- and most people in the US have poor health due to lifestyle choices, not lack of advances in FDA policies.

This isn't a Zicam thread, but it was removed because of BOGUS claims of people losing sense of smell.  It was really removed because it worked and got rid of your cold in a day or two.

I don't give a damn to read their propaganda on their website - I see their real life actions.  Actions speak louder than words.  What do you think, their website is going to say they are controlled by Big Pharma? Come on...............

It's a copout to say we deserve the FDA.  Did Germans deserve the Nazis? Did Russians deserve Lenin?  When the political power lies in the hands elite well-to-do families for whom the rules that apply to us don't apply to them, you get what we have today. 

But back to point, having seen the government remove a product from the free market (a supplement and not a drug!) because it worked, then I wonder what else has been suppressed in the name of money? 

Edited by Rocket, 22 April 2016 - 02:09 PM.

#6 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:38 PM

Everything is for sale in America. Ethics, morality, justice, science--they all have a price. And the FDA, like so many federal agencies, is corrupt as hell.

• like x 1

#7 Rocket

• Topic Starter
  • 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:29 PM

-- and most people in the US have poor health due to lifestyle choices, not lack of advances in FDA policies.

Who is talking about 'natural' life expectancy? This isn't about smoking and trans fats.......... This is about the total lack of research and advancement in REAL rejuvenative medicine, and i.e. reverse/anti-aging. 

We know for a fact that HGH administration helps people heal from injuries and surgeries, especially in people older than 30, but it's ILLEGAL to prescribe HGH to help an older person heal from an injury.

There are peptides like TB500 and BPC157 that really truly do help people heal, but the FDA and medical community ignore them.  They really work.  Instead of giving someone BPC for a few weeks or months, "they" want to give your Motrin and cortisone injections for life.  That's what this is about.........

It's illegal for a company to sell someone these healing peptides for human use. 

We are stuck in a SECOND DARK AGE of medicine/health/aging. Literally this is a second age where people have to flee the country and rely on grey market sources to get treatments that actually work. This is a second dark age in which the things that work are illegal. 

#8 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:22 PM

Ok, I agree with some of your discussion (but don't know about safety risks associated with the unstudied peptides you mentioned). According to many in the gerontology field, including Longo's fasting studies, fasting causes less IGF-1, and increases levels of HGH. So a safer alternative to HGH injections may be periodic fasting.

http://www.sciencedi...550413115002247

Everyone agrees that lack of funding and support for regenerative medicine is what's stalling the field. Go now and support SENS! And I also agree that too much FDA red tape, too much regulation, politics, pharmaceutical pandering, too expensive clinical trials -- all of these are enormous problems. It's taking pioneers like Liz Parrish to side-step the fucked up system. Do something yourself. Write your congress people, call, vote, help change the system to one that promotes regenerative medicine and healthy lifespans.

But I part ways with you in fingering the FDA as the guiltiest party in holding up medical progress. The medical establishment itself is a conservative behemoth. And science is slow. Understanding the biology of human aging is hard, complicated, and underfunded work. Until recently, few have even been interested in longevity science at all. Scientists still lack basic information about the causes of aging diseases and the pathways for slowing their progress. Take Alzheimers: a series of attempts to find biomarkers or endpoints that can predict AD's progression, or drug activity that might help, have failed. And so treatments don't work. Why is this FDA's fault? Support science education, support artificial intelligence...

"FDA approved 51 new molecular entities and biological products (41 by the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research and 10 by the Center for Biological Evaluation and Research). These approvals included major therapeutic advances in the treatment of cancer, hepatitis C and type-2 diabetes. They also included vaccines for meningococcus type B, and more new orphan drugs for rare diseases than any previous year in our history."

Targeted drug development: why are many diseases lagging behind?

http://www.fda.gov/A...s/ucm454955.htm

"FDA’s drug approval process has become the fastest in the world—and Americans now have first access to more new drugs more often than anywhere else in the world."

Don't like it? Help change it.

Edited by sthira, 23 April 2016 - 05:46 PM.

• Well Written x 1

#9 lad3

• 9 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:12 PM

It's not just the Bureaucrats who need to stay employed and expand their little kingdoms within government, it's also the threat of bored and greedy lawyers who circle like vultures over every supposed tragedy.

I just made a post on this forum about a health company lawyers SHOULD be suing the hell out of - and where they can use the biggest client names in the world to do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users