- - - - -

Tryptophan sensitivity

5htp sert

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vader

• 243 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:40 PM

Why does tryptophan makes me so sleepy, tired and give me a headache? Even in food form, eating soy, milk, eggs, chicken, sunflower seeds, etc. make tired for days and i even experienced blurry vision and really feeling out of it... Dafuq is going on?

#2 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:45 PM

Your enzymes converting tryptophan to melatonin are either going crazy or you already have too much 5-HT in your system already. Is this a recent experience? Can you think of any triggers?

Edited by devinthayer, 21 May 2016 - 02:45 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 vader

• Topic Starter
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:57 PM

Your enzymes converting tryptophan to melatonin are either going crazy or you already have too much 5-HT in your system already. Is this a recent experience? Can you think of any triggers?

It seems unlikely my 5-HT is high, because i have OCD and depressive tendencies... Although it's hard to say, i definately remember suffering a lot with brain fog, etc. prior to going strictly on no chicken, eggs and dairy diet. The only other idea i have is some kind of ACh dysfunction / dysregulation, because eggs give me instantly ataxia and brain fog, impossibility to talk, etc. I'm a long-term smoker so maybe my ACh is busted.

#4 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:59 PM

I'd research eggs and brain fog. The only thing I can think of is methylation. Do fruits or pickles pep you up after said experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 vader

• Topic Starter
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:07 PM

I'd research eggs and brain fog. The only thing I can think of is methylation. Do fruits or pickles pep you up after said experiences?

Pickles seem to give me better digestion, fruit i'm unsure of, sometimes i get almost intense flatus / exhaustion from them, sometimes i'm fine. I thought of many things, like fructose intolerance, but ingesting 50 grams of fructose gave me no diarrhea, so there is that. Dairy makes me tired, but i don't seem to be lactose intolerant.

I do think it's either choline or tryptophan, maybe in combination with phenylalanine (aspartame). I used to drink a lot of diet coke, cut that out, but nowadays it doesn't seem to be enough on it's own to give me brain fog / cognitive problems...

#6 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:08 PM

Brain-derived neurotrophic factor-deficient mice exhibit a hippocampal hyperserotonergic phenotype.

Hyperserotonergic phenotype after monoamine oxidase inhibition in larval zebrafish.

"Although purified tryptophan increases brain serotonin, foods containing tryptophan do not.71 This is because tryptophan is transported into the brain by a transport system that is active toward all the large neutral amino acids and tryptophan is the least abundant amino acid in protein. There is competition between the various amino acids for the transport system, so after the ingestion of a meal containing protein, the rise in the plasma level of the other large neutral amino acids will prevent the rise in plasma tryptophan from increasing brain tryptophan. The idea, common in popular culture, that a high-protein food such as turkey will raise brain tryptophan and serotonin is, unfortunately, false. Another popular myth that is widespread on the Internet is that bananas improve mood because of their serotonin content. Although it is true that bananas contain serotonin, it does not cross the blood–brain barrier."

Edited by gamesguru, 21 May 2016 - 10:12 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:30 PM

You may just have some type of allergy. Whether that's choline or tryptophan, not sure. To rule out tryptophan, you can experiment with other ways of increasing serotonin levels are not as effective at knocking you down.

Also consider that your conversion from serotonin to melatonin might be more efficient than the next person... Maybe the enzymes that break down serotonin aren't up to snuff. Again you'll only know from other serotonergic experiences.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 5htp, sert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users