Photo
- - - - -

Hard to Get Potassium

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ForeverYouthful

• 70 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:10 PM

I track my food in the cron-o-meter, and I have a hard time getting a good amount of potassium. Most other vitamins or minerals tend to have something you can eat to give a big dose of the vitamin -- if I'm missing b5, I can have mushrooms. If I'm missing calcium I can have some almond milk. Etc... But with potassium there seems to be no one food with a concentrated amount of if.

The foods I've found that seem best for potassium are:

- zucchini - 1 medium zucchini, 450 mg

- potato, w/ skin - 1 cup, 1500 mg

- butternut squash - 1 cup, 580 mg

- sweet potato - 5 in long potato, 550 mg

Daily value in the cron-o-meter is about 4540 mg -- so if I need a big boost of potassium it can be hard to do without chowing either a crazy amount of zucchini or a chunk of calories.

Any tips??

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 01:07 AM

Potassium chloride salt substitute.

#3 ForeverYouthful

• Topic Starter
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:03 AM

I've tried Potassium chloride in the past and thought it tasted really bad.

#4 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:26 PM

Potassium bicarbonate and/or citrate are good options. Potassium chloride is ok for me too, usually it's sold in supermarkets with a big part sodium chloride to mask its taste..

#5 ForeverYouthful

• Topic Starter
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:16 AM

Potassium bicarbonate and/or citrate are good options. Potassium chloride is ok for me too, usually it's sold in supermarkets with a big part sodium chloride to mask its taste..

Thanks. I've ordered some potassium bicarbonate; let's see how it goes! :)

#6 limerence

• 56 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:52 PM

Moringa powder, very good source of all sorts of stuff

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
  • Needs references x 1

#7 Daniscience

• 44 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:33 PM

Thanks. I've ordered some potassium bicarbonate; let's see how it goes! :)

Great purchase!

I sometimes take a TINY amount of potassium sulfate (E-515) which I had bought as a plant fertilizer. But beware, potassium intake should be small (like 1/4 teaspoon or less), high levels of potassium can disrupt your heart!

#8 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:55 PM

But beware, potassium intake should be small (like 1/4 teaspoon or less), high levels of potassium can disrupt your heart

Here an interesting contrarian perspective:

http://www.bibliotec...d_potassium.htm

In order to keep their medical doctors in line, both the FDA and AMA have circulated a number of truly frightening stories about potassium. Most common among them is that the potassium will 'react' with one of a wide range of synthetic pharmaceutical medicines, frequently resulting in death. This is actually true, but it is the poisonous synthetic medicine which causes the lethal cross reaction that kills you, not the natural potassium so essential to your health.

Then there is the even scarier rumor that 'too much' potassium will kill you by stopping your heart from beating, as in the case of a lethal injection execution.

Too much of almost anything will kill you, including simple water and air, especially if applied too quickly or by the incorrect route. When Timothy McVeigh was strapped to a gurney and put to death, the third chemical injected directly into his vein was a 'chaser' containing 50 milliliters of concentrated potassium chloride, which finally stopped his heart. If you are stupid enough to try this at home, you will die just as quickly, and in order to put this deliberate FDA and AMA scare mongering into the proper perspective, it is necessary to explain why.

The normal route for potassium to enter the body is by way of the mouth, either in the form of food, or sometimes as a solution made up of 100% water soluble potassium chloride dissolved in fruit juice.

As the potassium passes through the digestive tract, the cells extract what they need and any excess is then passed out of the body, partly as solid waste, but mostly through the kidneys as urine. It is a perfectly normal biochemical process that the body itself knows how to handle very well, without any outside help from medical doctors. However, if you inject the potassium directly into a vein, you bypass the body's biochemical safety processes and stop the heart.

It was then that I discovered my medical 'angina' symptoms precisely matched those exhibited by a person suffering from an acute potassium deficiency. This information came as no great surprise. On the face of it, I had uncovered the underlying cause of medical 'angina', the latter credited with the sale of more than a billion dollars worth of synthetic 'patent medicines' every year.

The problem was knowing what to do next. In Australia I was limited to 100-milligram potassium pills from the health food shops, or to a product called "Slow K" available from some pharmacies. Basically Slow K is a slow-release 600-milligram chunk of potassium chloride, which allows a 'non-lethal' dose of potassium to be administered under the direct control of the pill, rather than under the control of its recipient.

The problem here is that all chunks of salt are biochemically "hot', meaning that as the sugar coating wears off the outside of the pill, the chunk of undissolved salt is exposed, and can then come into direct contact with delicate internal tissues. In my casual view, this could easily cause some sort of perforation or an ulcer.

Clearly what I needed was an industrial quantity of potassium in free flowing 100% water soluble form, which would allow me to first dissolve the potassium in water and fruit juice, thereby ensuring that no salt 'hot spots' could later cause problems in my digestive tract.

In the end I settled for a kilogram of AR [Analytical Reagent] grade potassium chloride salt from a chemical warehouse, mercifully not yet under the direct control of the American FDA, or the Australian AMA.

Cost wise this was also a plus, because the whole kilogram set me back a mere US$30.00 including taxes, which is cheap enough when you realize that my potassium chloride purchase contained approximately 620 grams [or 620,000 milligrams] of the same potassium the FDA has restricted to 100-milligrams per dose in the health food shops. You do the math. Pop down to your local health food provider and ask for a quote on 6,200 x 100-milligram potassium supplements. Be ready to write a very large check.

By this stage there was so much pain so often, that I made a personal executive decision to attempt to slowly try to absorb a minimum of 50 grams or 50,000 milligrams of potassium, representing about 1/5th of the 250 grams total that an adult male should contain within his body.

Simple common sense suggested that such an acute deficiency, with the extreme symptoms I was suffering, could hardly be caused by a minor reduction in whole body potassium, and, quite frankly, I also wanted the stop the overwhelming pain before it had a chance to accelerate into a fatal stroke or heart attack.

With this in mind, I dissolved 4 grams [4,000 milligrams] of potassium chloride in water and fruit juice, slowly swallowed the lot, and then kept grimly repeating this process every eight hours. After about five days [or 60,000 milligrams] most of the pain had gone, but I was still incapable of truly coherent thought. It was not until I was well past the 110,000-milligram mark that my faculties truly returned, though by then I was so exhausted I could no longer write or use the computer.

Expressed in the same terms used by the FDA, in ten days I had slowly ingested 68.2 grams of dissolved potassium [68,200 milligrams], or sixty-eight times the maximum quantity permitted under American law. However, it should also be noted that this figure represents only five days of the maximum quantity administered by licensed American doctors to their hypertensive patients during the nineteen forties, before their research funding was mysteriously and abruptly withdrawn.

When viewed in the latter context, my actions do not seem unreasonable.

At the end of the ten day period, all of my 'unstable angina' pain and breathlessness had vanished completely, and along with it most of the 'essential hypertension' that plagued me for more than twenty-five years. Nowadays I take a daily maintenance dose of 2,000 milligrams potassium per day [3,200 milligrams of AR grade potassium chloride salt], plus 200 milligrams of magnesium orotate to minimize losses.

I too take about 2g of elemental potassium ether from citrate or bicarbonate dissolved in water spread through the day, and sprinkle my breakfast eggs with potassium chloride.

Edited by pamojja, 02 August 2016 - 09:00 PM.

#9 ForeverYouthful

• Topic Starter
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:57 PM

I read here, http://www.iherb.com...-capsules/37917, that the elemental amount of potassium in 2.7 g of potassium bicarbonate is 1.05 g.

~4.5 grams recommended per day. So that is ~ (2.7g x 4.5) = 12.15 g potassium bicarbonate (assuming I don't already have potassium from foods)

QUESTION: does this math look alright? I wouldn't want to take too much bicarbonate and cause any potential issue.

#10 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:57 AM

I read here, http://www.iherb.com...-capsules/37917, that the elemental amount of potassium in 2.7 g of potassium bicarbonate is 1.05 g.

~4.5 grams recommended per day. So that is ~ (2.7g x 4.5) = 12.15 g potassium bicarbonate (assuming I don't already have potassium from foods)

QUESTION: does this math look alright? I wouldn't want to take too much bicarbonate and cause any potential issue.

If there is 1.05 g of potassium in potassium bicarbonate. Then that would be (2.7-1.05) = 1.65 g bicarbonate in that total amount. Personally would prefer powder over capsules for reasons explained in the quote up-thread.

#11 Daniscience

• 44 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:56 PM

If there is 1.05 g of potassium in potassium bicarbonate. Then that would be (2.7-1.05) = 1.65 g bicarbonate in that total amount. Personally would prefer powder over capsules for reasons explained in the quote up-thread.

I may get potassium bicarbonate, sounds like safer than potassium sulfate (both powder).

Still I am frightened about using 4.7 grams on a single sitting, since "they" (the authorities) say potassium can kill you over 99mg and whatnot... lol.

Potassium conspiracy maybe? Since I truly believe there are other food conspiracies like the wheat widespread, the anti-fat campaign, the iodide deficiency (they say aswell that excess iodine is harmful while they fluorate everything), etc.

#12 ForeverYouthful

• Topic Starter
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:17 PM

I don't understand how 99mg of potassium could be bad, when it is wayyyyyy under the RDA. Can someone enlighten me on that?  The RDA is ~4700mg

#13 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:43 PM

I may get potassium bicarbonate, sounds like safer than potassium sulfate (both powder).

Still I am frightened about using 4.7 grams on a single sitting, since "they" (the authorities) say potassium can kill you over 99mg and whatnot... lol.

No need using that much in one sitting. For example I get about that much potassium from food throughout the day. I'm all for high-dosing nutrients when there are reasons. However, always by starting with the lowest dose spread out through the day as practical. And then increase over the course of weeks, months, years.. so that one finds the personal sweet spot - and always possible adverse reactions due to bio-individuallity, or even allergic reactions haven't a chance to hit too hard.

#14 ForeverYouthful

• Topic Starter
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:43 AM

So I received my potassium bicarbonate from Amazon today.

It is 39% elemental potassium. I took 1.24 g, which is about 484 mg -- this was about 1/8 of a teaspoon. Figure I'd start off at a very conservative level.

• Agree x 1

#15 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

So I received my potassium bicarbonate from Amazon today.

It is 39% elemental potassium. I took 1.24 g, which is about 484 mg -- this was about 1/8 of a teaspoon. Figure I'd start off at a very conservative level.

According to my potassium bicarbonate package, 1/4 teaspoon = 1 gram = 390 mg of elemental potassium.  It could be a label error, but it seems way off from what your measurements give.

To other posters:  potassium chloride is associate in the research literature with irritation and damage to the intestinal lining.   I think citrate and bicarb forms are safer.    Potassium citrate is associated in the literature with the sparing of bone and reduction of markers of osteoporosis.

I have had the problem that if I alkalize during the day I get sleepy.   Has anyone else seen that symptom?   I have heard Steve Fowkes say on podcasts that normally sleep is an alkalizing period and during the day you tend to go more acid.   I have noticed in my own case that I reverse this 180 degrees and tend to get acid at night and alkaline during the day.  I'm not sure what to make of that.

#16 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:08 PM

According to my potassium bicarbonate package, 1/4 teaspoon = 1 gram = 390 mg of elemental potassium.  It could be a label error, but it seems way off from what your measurements give.

Take a look again: 390mg out of 1000mg is 39%.

#17 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:18 PM

That's not the part I was trying to call out.   He was claiming to take more potassium on one-half the *volume*.   My dose is based on 1/4 teaspoon and his is calibrated to a higher dose at 1/8th a teaspoon.

#18 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:31 PM

That's not the part I was trying to call out.   He was claiming to take more potassium on one-half the *volume*.   My dose is based on 1/4 teaspoon and his is calibrated to a higher dose at 1/8th a teaspoon.

Probably he uses a bigger teaspoon?

#19 ForeverYouthful

• Topic Starter
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:46 PM

fyi, I measured my potassium bicarbonate with a scale, and then multiplied by 0.39 to get the grams of elemental potassium present.

#20 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:21 PM

I have had the problem that if I alkalize during the day I get sleepy.   Has anyone else seen that symptom?   I have heard Steve Fowkes say on podcasts that normally sleep is an alkalizing period and during the day you tend to go more acid.   I have noticed in my own case that I reverse this 180 degrees and tend to get acid at night and alkaline during the day.  I'm not sure what to make of that.

Not me. However, I mix the potassium bicarbonate together with ascorbic acid in a glass of water, that way get it actually delivered as neutral potassium ascorbate.

#21 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:31 PM

Not me. However, I mix the potassium bicarbonate together with ascorbic acid in a glass of water, that way get it actually delivered as neutral potassium ascorbate.

How much of a sparing function would a potassium ascorbate have on bones as opposed to a bicarbonate?   I assumed that the reason bicarb tests positive for stopping bone loss in the literature is that - taken on an empty stomach - some amount of the bicarb escapes stomach acid and is passed to the intestine, where the body is able to use it directly to build an alkaline store.

I guess potassium is intracellular in its own right as well, although I don't understand how much bone sparing function that has in practice.   Potassium chloride, for example, never tests positive for bone sparing in research.

#22 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:02 AM

I assumed that the reason bicarb tests positive for stopping bone loss in the literature is that - taken on an empty stomach - some amount of the bicarb escapes stomach acid and is passed to the intestine, where the body is able to use it directly to build an alkaline store.

I guess potassium is intracellular in its own right as well, although I don't understand how much bone sparing function that has in practice.   Potassium chloride, for example, never tests positive for bone sparing in research.

Stomach acid is that much stronger than ascorbic acid, so there must be another mechanism for alkalizing. By the way, the few times (3) my blood gases were measured pH always came back 7.5 (7.35 - 7.45 range). Bicarbonate also at the upper end of the range.

Should add: probably highly confounded by the high doses of ascorbic acid I take (~22 g/d)

Edited by pamojja, 09 August 2016 - 11:05 AM.

#23 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:06 PM

I assumed that the reason bicarb tests positive for stopping bone loss in the literature is that - taken on an empty stomach - some amount of the bicarb escapes stomach acid and is passed to the intestine, where the body is able to use it directly to build an alkaline store.

Stomach acid is that much stronger than ascorbic acid, so there must be another mechanism for alkalizing. By the way, the few times (3) my blood gases were measured pH always came back 7.5 (7.35 - 7.45 range). Bicarbonate also at the upper end of the range.

Should add: probably highly confounded by the high doses of ascorbic acid I take (~22 g/d)

Normally when you eat food, the bottom opening of the stomach closes.  This is done in order to raise stomach acid and predigest food before allowing it to continue through digestion.

When you drink water on an empty stomach, this doesn't happen, at least not to the same degree.  Water just travels through the system, and levels of stomach acid do not rise significantly.

The above is why you must NEVER take bicarbonate together with food.   All you do is trap the bicarb into the stomach, where it will be completely neutralized by acid.  The body will literally produce even more acid because of the bicarb present in the mix, in order to get acid levels high to digest the food component of the mix.

The idea is to take bicarb on a completely empty stomach.   You want as much of that bicarb as possible to slip by digestion into the gut, without closing off the stomach and without significantly raising stomach acid.   Some of it gets neutralized, and some of it gets through, and I haven't scanned research to see how much escapes digestion.

Blood pH is tightly regulated, so I doubt that taking alkalizing foods or drinks would affect it.   The idea here is to build up your *reserves* of alkaline materials - minerals ideally - in order to spare the body getting these from bone.

Edited by pone11, 09 August 2016 - 08:08 PM.

#24 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:03 PM

You want as much of that bicarb as possible to slip by digestion into the gut, without closing off the stomach and without significantly raising stomach acid.   Some of it gets neutralized, and some of it gets through, and I haven't scanned research to see how much escapes digestion.

Blood pH is tightly regulated, so I doubt that taking alkalizing foods or drinks would affect it.   The idea here is to build up your *reserves* of alkaline materials - minerals ideally - in order to spare the body getting these from bone.

Still, why would a higher then normal blood pH not indicate the 'reserves' are there.

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Gastric_acid

Gastric acid, gastric juice or stomach acid, is a digestive fluid, formed in the stomach and is composed of hydrochloric acid (HCl) .05–0.1 M (roughly 5,000–10,000 parts per million or 0.5-1%)[1]potassium chloride (KCl) and sodium chloride (NaCl)...

A typical adult human stomach will secrete about 1.5 liters of gastric acid daily.[3]

... In the duodenum, gastric acid is neutralized by sodium bicarbonate.This also blocks gastric enzymes that have their optima in the acid range of pH. The secretion of sodium bicarbonate from the pancreas is stimulated by secretin...

Just imagine the daily secreted amount of potassium bicarbonate needed to neutralize that much stomach acid...

#25 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:55 PM

You want as much of that bicarb as possible to slip by digestion into the gut, without closing off the stomach and without significantly raising stomach acid.   Some of it gets neutralized, and some of it gets through, and I haven't scanned research to see how much escapes digestion.

Still, why would a higher then normal blood pH not indicate the 'reserves' are there.

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Gastric_acid

Gastric acid, gastric juice or stomach acid, is a digestive fluid, formed in the stomach and is composed of hydrochloric acid (HCl) .05–0.1 M (roughly 5,000–10,000 parts per million or 0.5-1%)[1]potassium chloride (KCl) and sodium chloride (NaCl)...

A typical adult human stomach will secrete about 1.5 liters of gastric acid daily.[3]

... In the duodenum, gastric acid is neutralized by sodium bicarbonate.This also blocks gastric enzymes that have their optima in the acid range of pH. The secretion of sodium bicarbonate from the pancreas is stimulated by secretin...

Just imagine the daily secreted amount of potassium bicarbonate needed to neutralize that much stomach acid...

Perhaps blood pH can be made a tiny bit more alkaline, perhaps not.  Why do we care about this?   Blood pH is tightly regulated and I do not see how one could infer much by small changes in it.

What is the point of looking at the amount of acid released by the stomach during a day?   It was never a goal to neutralize that.  That isn't the amount you have to contend with when you drink water with sodium bicarb or potassium bicarb on an empty stomach.  The point is that you do NOT want to provoke the stomach to seal off its opening or release acid.

#26 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:46 PM

The idea here is to build up your *reserves* of alkaline materials - minerals ideally - in order to spare the body getting these from bone.

What is the point of looking at the amount of acid released by the stomach during a day? It was never a goal to neutralize that.

The pancreas wont be able to make sodium bicarbonate out of thin air, but from bones too. And the body will still sufficiently neutralize stomach acid leaving the stomach. With about 7.5-15 ml of pure stomach acid that's a lot of sodium bicarbonate leaching from the bones daily. To neutralize the same amount of the much weaker ascorbic acid about 4-7g sodium becarbonate would be needed.

How much sodium bicarb you take in one dose?

#27 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:10 PM

The idea here is to build up your *reserves* of alkaline materials - minerals ideally - in order to spare the body getting these from bone.

What is the point of looking at the amount of acid released by the stomach during a day? It was never a goal to neutralize that.

The pancreas wont be able to make sodium bicarbonate out of thin air, but from bones too. And the body will still sufficiently neutralize stomach acid leaving the stomach. With about 7.5-15 ml of pure stomach acid that's a lot of sodium bicarbonate leaching from the bones daily. To neutralize the same amount of the much weaker ascorbic acid about 4-7g sodium becarbonate would be needed.

It's not clear what point you are trying to make with reference to taking a supplemental bicarbonate.   Yes the bones leach a lot of bicarbonate.   That's probably why taking supplemental potassium bicarb or citrate is associated with sparing of bone loss in the research literature.  This agrees with your point, so it is confusing why do you keep making this point about bone loss?

I have stopped taking bicarb for a while because it was making me tired, but when I did it I was taking 1/4 teaspoon of sodium and potassium bicarb together, twice a day.

I'll experiment with it more the in the future.

Edited by pone11, 09 August 2016 - 11:11 PM.

#28 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:17 AM

To speak to your point on dosing more directly, review the meta-analysis of several studies, attached to this post.   That analysis backed the idea that potassium citrate and potassium bicarbonate spare bone losses.  I did not get a good sense from the analysis what the typical doses were, but since this appears to be the heart of your point maybe you would be motivated enough to look at that.

#29 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:52 AM

I did not get a good sense from the analysis what the typical doses were, but since this appears to be the heart of your point maybe you would be motivated enough to look at that.

Thanks. In one of the trials 2.300 mg sodium or potassium bicarbonate spread throughout the day. That's about half a teaspoon.

Might be very toxic at higher doses. There is a sodium bicarbonate protocol against cancers of the digestive tract by Dr. Simoncini - who was persecuted and lost his medical license because of it - with the warning:

Very Important Note

This treatment should not be used for more than three weeks at a time. During the first week no more than two TEAspoons a day of baking soda should be taken orally. During the second and third week no more than one TEAspoon a day of baking soda should be taken orally. Only under the care of a medical practitioner should these maximum internal doses be exceeded.

For skin cancers and other external cancers (including a rectal enema), where the baking soda solution comes into direct contact with the cancer, this restriction does not apply.

... We do not recommend his protocol without expert support and we are not aware of any support which is available.

There is also a warning about potassium ascorbate:

http://www.new-cance.../DMSO_VitC.html

WARNING: Do NOT use potassium ascorbate or any other form of potassium as your primary source of Vitamin C!!! If you use potassium ascorbate work with the vendor of this product to insure you are taking safe doses relative to non-potassium forms of Vitamin C!!! If your vendor does not make a recommendation, then use 15% as the maximum portion of Vitamin C that is a potassium form!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users