• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

GABA Reverse Tolerance and Paradoxical Effects

gaba gaba-a gaba-b tolerance paradoxical reverse ghb phenibut benzos benzodiazepines

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BioInfinite

• 54 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:50 AM

I used to use multiple GABAergic drugs heavily some years ago; mainly including GABA-B agonists such as GHB, Phenibut, Baclofen, Gabapentin, but also Zaleplon and limited sporadic use of GABA-A benzos (but never mixed with each other).

I thought: "As long as I don't develop a tolerance I'll be alright". I never found myself developing any tolerance, but I did notice a hardly noticeable gradually worsening mood and instability, some irritability and emotional pain. This was accompanied by the perception that my doses were smaller than they used to be - perhaps gradually reducing the GHB for the same effect. I was taking all these drugs mainly to treat agitation from a condition, but also the GHB or Zaleplon to treat insomnia nearly every night. I don't remember quite how long for but it was at least 8-12 months.

Eventually I used up my "buffer" so to speak and passed a "threshold" where I experienced only paradoxical effects of agitation and mental pain from any GABA-B drug - Phenibut first. It was strange that I tried a Xanax to calm me down from the Phenibut and it worked. This makes me wonder if I could tolerate GABA-A agonists given that the damage was a hell of a lot worse at GABA-B receptors.

After this I quit everything GABA-ergic for a whole year. After this I tried drinking again and had no problem. In fact I began to drink more and more for many months before the exact same problem happened again. I stopped for close to a year, but this time when I tried alcohol again I had one great night, and was the phenomenon repeated again - however I was on high doses of BCAA's for most of that year which is a GABA precursor, as well as Glycine and Taurine (both of which I later found influences GABA) so I don't know if those affected it. 

Close to a year passed and I got to a much better place. I tried a few sips of a beer on holiday and experienced a horrible reaction, setting me back again, but luckily not all the way. Now I will never drink again I expect.

So what do you think? Is this kindling (a process by which each subsequent withdrawal episode produces a more severe withdrawal syndrome)? Because I think it might be different to that.

Could NMDA antagonists/agonists help? Is there any other thing I could do to heal myself and restore my full inhibitory capability? Perhaps something related to neuroplasticity; like studying, exercising etc.

Thanks for any help :)

#2 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:03 PM

I would also like to know about this subject.

As for bcaa being a gaba precursor, where the heck did you read that?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:11 PM

As far as I know, one of the few substances which upregulates GABA-receptors is Fasoracetam - if you check for Reddit and Longecity regarding the subject, you will find that it apparently helps some to come back from Phenibut-downregulation. (it specifically upregulates GABA-B)

However, it doesn't help everyone, so that's something to take in mind.

Effect of a novel cognition enhancer NS-105 on learned helplessness in rats: possible involvement of GABA(B) receptor up-regulation after repeated treatment.

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9424016

Involvement of cholinergic and GABAergic systems in the reversal of memory disruption by NS-105, a cognition enhancer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10494996

@RatherBeUnknown: I've said it before, and I'll say it again - you're the perfect candidate for this drug. ; )

Edited by Stinkorninjor, 08 September 2016 - 06:11 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#4 dojob

• 63 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:59 PM

I found bpc 157 to help with withdrawal/ homeostase

, it could be speculated that BPC 157 acts favoring the natural homeostasis of the GABA receptor complex as well as enhancing the GABAergic transmission, and having a mechanism at least partly different from those involved in diazepam tolerance/withdrawal,

Here is the full studie;
https://www.ncbi.nlm...ubmed/10707891/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gaba, gaba-a, gaba-b, tolerance, paradoxical, reverse, ghb, phenibut, benzos, benzodiazepines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users