* * * * * 1 votes

Is it worth continuing PQQ?

pqq coq10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bigmillz

• 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:09 PM

Been taking 20mg/day for close to a year. Unfortunately, my log wasn't too detailed back then when I started. The main reason back then was because my 23andme turned up a SOD2 mutation.

Anyways, I don't recall ever noticing much gain from PQQ. I've been thinking about discontinuing, lowering the dose, or trying a period without it.

Anyone know how long it might take to notice if it was benefiting me at all?

Or, would 20mg every other day be useful as well to me?

If I'm not noticing anything, is it worth taking for future health reasons?

• like x 1

#2 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:01 PM

I would say, take alcar instead. Or take both. Some say they only notice an effect during sublingual administration but I've personally never used PQQ

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:36 PM

It's expensive stuff, with scant research supporting any single use.  Tempted to say your money is better spent on broccoli, blueberries, tea, or flavonoid supplements.

Depends how old you are, if you're young the 100 to 400 mcg you get from diet may be enough, if you're older it may time to ramp it up (20mg or more).  One study found 0.2mg/kg to be highly effective in chickens[1].  For a 65kg human with a chicken:human conversion ratio of 4, that would correspond to a mere 0.2/4*65 = 3.25mg.  An exceptional diet may provide closer to 1.2mg and provide obvious benefits.

• Good Point x 1

#4 bigmillz

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:06 PM

I would say, take alcar instead. Or take both. Some say they only notice an effect during sublingual administration but I've personally never used PQQ

I actually went from ALCAR to LCF - the ALCAR was way too stimulating to me, and put me in a really rotten mood after just a few days. LCF has been much smoother.

#5 bigmillz

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:13 PM

It's expensive stuff, with scant research supporting any single use.  Tempted to say your money is better spent on broccoli, blueberries, tea, or flavonoid supplements.

Depends how old you are, if you're young the 100 to 400 mcg you get from diet may be enough, if you're older it may time to ramp it up (20mg or more).  One study found 0.2mg/kg to be highly effective in chickens[1].  For a 65kg human with a chicken:human conversion ratio of 4, that would correspond to a mere 0.2/4*65 = 3.25mg.  An exceptional diet may provide closer to 1.2mg and provide obvious benefits.

Yea, if it weren't for the cost, I'd feel much differently about it, but it sure ain't cheap. On the flipside, the $8/mo I spend on methylB12 blows it out of the water as far as results.

#6 logicmuffin

• 13 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:46 PM

I'm skeptical that PQQ crosses the blood brain barrier. If you look at its chemical structure it has 3 carboxylic acid groups and a basic nitrogen. Therefore it's water soluble and won't easily pass phospholipid barrier. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:41 PM

Lipophobic agents can squeeze thru the tight junctions.  PQQ is also anionic, so it has plenty of uptake sites to use for adsorptive transcytosis. 

I also read about this on examine.com, but I'm not so sure it has issues at the BBB, because all the neuroprotective studies reporting significant benefits (including the one on traumatic brain injury) seem to use intraperitoneal or intravenous injection, which would suggest ready BBB permeability.  If it had problems there, we would expect to rely on intracerebral injection.

Fig-1-Solute-transport-mechanisms-across

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pqq, coq10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users