sleep

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PeterDragon

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:54 PM

Hello,

A few weeks ago I kicked a 4 year long habit of smoking mary. I used it for my back, knee and shoulder pain. I also relied on it to fall asleep every night. Now that i am not smoking i am taking hops, lemon balms and other natural remedies for sleep. I used to take melatonin but i built a huge tolerance to it and it caused depression. Is there anything i can take with no side effects that would help me fall asleep? i tried no blue light, no tv, 4-7-8 breathing technique, other breathing techniques froms apps, and nothing seems to work like mary. I stoped smoking mary because it hinders rem sleep and effects episodic memory. thanks 

#2 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:37 PM

Hops is the most estrogenic thing on earth, not a very smart choice at all.

Magnesium, progesterone, GABA, theanine, chamomile, SSKI  are some supplements that might help.

• like x 1

#3 PeterDragon

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:29 PM

Thanks, I didn't know hops was that high in estrogen. I had my hormones checked and my estrogen and estradiol was very high. I am currently taken anti estrogen pills from my doc. But taken hops would seem it's counter intitutive.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:49 PM

But taken hops would seem it's counter intitutive

Indeed!

Hops are a no no thing, do a quick search and see by yourself.

Even beer, since it is made with hops, is not recommendable but sparingly and in moderation.

Actually it's quite interesting to see how beer wasn't originally made with hops at all but it was introduced by law by the Lutherans in order to repress sexuality (because its estrogenic proprieties).

Mary Jane is mildly estrogenic too and it might have contributed to your actual condition.

Possibly supplementing vitamin D3 might help too restoring an hormonal balance as the other supplement suggested before (notice how are all involved with hormonal hacking).

Especially topical usp bio identical progesterone should help since its hormone regulator and anti estrogen role, I suggest about 50mg/day.

Anti estrogen pills might have unpleasant side effects, I suggest to stop those and try the above instead.

Keep taking melatonin but no more than 3mg/day.

• like x 1

#5 PeterDragon

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:20 PM

thank you! i appreciate all this information and i will do my own research too!

#6 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:27 AM

Light therapy will reduce melatonin in the morning and that way it helps mood and sleep rhythm. Methylcobalamin will help with this too. If you only take Melatonin, and you take enough, it will help you fall asleep, but can often lead to too much melatonin hanging around during the day, making you depressed and tired. If your brain doesn't get the clear signal that it's morning, then your rhythm will still be messed up, even if you get to sleep on time. Methylcobalamin will help sensitize your eyes/brain to sunlight and help further reduce melatonin during the day, and maybe help in other ways. All three is the best: light therapy (and avoiding evening and night light), methylcobalamin, and melatonin.

I use all three. For me, if I could only pick one thing, it would be light therapy. I used to think melatonin didn't work for me, but I have found that a higher dose is effective at making me sleepy - it just turned out to be a much higher dose than I thought anyone would need. But, without light therapy, I'm still messed up. With light therapy, I could work 3rd shift no problem. I can have any sleep schedule I want, as long as I can have 8 hours sleep, and can sit in front of my light for 30-60 min first thing in the morning. I struggled with sleep for a long time.

As Aconita mentioned, Vitamin D might help too. Exercise too. Many different vitamin and mineral deficiencies, hormone dysregulation, sleep apnea, too much caffeine, and all sorts of other things can also contribute to insomnia. Really, everything good for health is probably good for sleep too, and everything bad for health is bad for sleep. Like everything, because everything is connected. Keep casting a wider net until you figure it out. 

#7 Astreon

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:01 AM

If you only take Melatonin, and you take enough, it will help you fall asleep, but can often lead to too much melatonin hanging around during the day, making you depressed and tired.

I completely agree with ta5. This is my experience as well with melatonin.

I just tried different a dosage and formulation until I got it right, a full week each time/test. Same thing for my parents. In their case, they needed exactly 3mg using a time release formulation. I personally like the Natrol brand so far but I am waiting for my Jarrow bottle to do a comparison this month.

Perhaps you can do a few more tests with different dosages/formulations/brands?

Edited by Astreon, 09 January 2017 - 06:13 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sleep

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users