holocaust survivors - longer lifespan

longevity

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:03 AM

this is an old article that was referenced from new post on another forum that im curious in; http://nymag.com/dai...-survivors.html

if you google this, there are a dozen such articles, some newer some older etc.

i find it interesting they try to explain the reason for this and offer few explanations but none offered the idea of starvation as contributing factor. anyone thought about it, what do you think??

#2 Sith

• 161 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:18 AM

Or possibly remaining optimistic and enjoying the good aspects of life even more.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:13 PM

I don't think there's much to this.  The two populations they compared were fundamentally different.  One was a group that moved to Israel prior to the war, while the other was composed of holocaust survivors.  The fact that the survivors didn't die during the holocaust suggests that they were stronger or more resilient to begin with.  The effects were not very large at any rate.

• Agree x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 normalizing

• Topic Starter
  • 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:08 AM

niner so the basic premise of calorie restriction and fasting which has been shown countless times to enhance lifespan is completely ignored by you on this one?

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:31 AM

niner so the basic premise of calorie restriction and fasting which has been shown countless times to enhance lifespan is completely ignored by you on this one?

Yes.  Not because I don't believe in CR; I do.  However, starvation is not the same as CR.  To be done properly, CR requires adequate nutrition.  In other words, while calories are restricted, you need the right amount of micronutrients, essential AAs and FAs, etc.  The main problem with this study is that the data is not very good.  That makes it hard to derive useful conclusions.

• Good Point x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: longevity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users