- - - - -

Game Changer

iron overload

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nushu

• 247 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:43 PM

I've been interested in increasing health span for over ten years, I've been biohacking and experimenting since. Once in a while I come across something that's a game changer, the book Dumping Iron is it. It lays out the evidence of how high iron levels destroy health, levels that fall within what's considered normal. How many of us know our ferritin level? The solution to elevated iron is simple and free- donate blood regularly. This is especially vital for men. High iron levels have no symptoms most of the time, until it's too late.
  • Informative x 2

#2 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for the information.

I appears to be more complex than a Ferritin level alone. Did the book go into the other factors which might effect the possible medical complications,, if any, which might effect the decision about donating blood? Hemoglobin levels?

#3 nushu

• Topic Starter
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:39 PM

Hemoglobin is more an indicator of iron deficiency, ferritin is the iron storage protein, this will tell you what kind of iron burden you're carrying. Lots of detailed info in the book, I think it's decades ahead of what's currently being practiced. Best $8 I've ever spent.
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 yucca06

• 74 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 01:20 PM

It's really a eye opener.

I'm reading it right now. Many, many thanks for this !

Didn't get all the infos yet, but my ferritine levels are at about 200(way to high...) but free iron is very low (limit subnormal) so I believe I don't need to worry...just donate blood 2 or 3 x /year and take Green tea + Quercetin to lower ferritin ?

Edited by yucca06, 27 November 2016 - 01:22 PM.

#5 nushu

• Topic Starter
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:53 PM

I think that is a smart strategy. Wouldn't it be funny if the answer to longevity is iron level?
Think about all the untested supplements we are swallowing, and I'm just as guilty of it.

#6 nushu

• Topic Starter
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:28 PM

5th post guy talks about lowering his iron and grey hair.

http://www.longecity...omeone-who-has/

#7 nushu

• Topic Starter
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:52 PM

Another resource

http://www.healtheir...duction-therapy

#8 nushu

• Topic Starter
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:31 PM

#9 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:12 PM

nushu, I am surprised the ebook did not emphasize the importance of other tests in addition to the Ferritin. It is possible to have a low Hemoglobin, and a high Ferritin. One is precluded from donating Blood if they have a low Hemoglobin. For males it is around 13, which is still in the "normal" range.Since the subject of the Dr. Mercola's interview was part of the Iron Disorders Institute. Here is a quote from there. I will add that Creatinine needs to also be tested, and likely a full range of other tests should be done in addition to Ferritin.

Just a warning for do it yourself health hackers. This is not at all a questioning of the wisdom of lowering Iron, just that the issue is complex.

"he treatment for iron overload is iron reduction therapy. A person's hemoglobin is key in the physician's decision of iron reduction therapy. If the patient's hemoglobin level is sufficient to tolerate blood removal (phlebotomy), the doctor can provide either an order for therapeutic phlebotomies or can recommend that a patient routinely donate blood. When a patient's hemoglobin is too low for phlebotomy, iron reduction  will likely require iron-chelation, which is the removal of iron using specific drugs. In some situations the physician may use a combination of these two therapies."

http://www.irondisor...g/iron-overload

Edited by Heisok, 27 November 2016 - 10:13 PM.

#10 nushu

• Topic Starter
  • 247 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:05 AM

I agree, You need to know what your hemoglobin is, and this value will be measured when you have your regular CBC taken. But blood donation doesn't have to be complicated, They test your hemoglobin before they will take your blood.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iron overload

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users