• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What to do? CR and absurd blood sugar? Prediabetic?

diabetes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Qowpel

• 355 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:22 PM

Hello guys. I have been following CRON and Methionine restriction for a long time now. On top of that I have run low in Glucophage 1000mg a day, which I take simply for the longevity benefits, so I have ceased it for a month now.

Anyway, currentlyrics I have been checking my blood sugar every morning, basically I am fasted at least 10 hours. I am appalled. My fasting levels hover from 118 to 122. That is prediabetic. What the heck? I thought I was doing well with how I am eating and such.

Please help, I have no idea how my raw eating, no cooked food to avoid AGES, and daily tea intake along with what I listed above, is still yielding me pre-diabetic numbers. I get plenty of sleep, get over 100 percent of each nutrient daily...

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:40 PM

slightly elevated blood sugar often occurs in CRON practioners.  Some think this may be a protective mechanism.  Maybe.

http://www.nature.co...is2014520a.html

• Informative x 1

#3 Qowpel

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:47 AM

Well I will be refilling metformin soon but still what else should I do? Is it perhaps high due to the cortisol released due to the stress of chronic caloric restriction on the body? Any others dealing with this?

#4 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:49 PM

Fasting blood sugar level in people on CR is usually quite low. Average around 80 mg/dl. When people eat low protein, CR diets, glucose tolerance test tends to be high, but this is also seen in animals on moderate to severe calorie restriction. Moderate - high protein CR diets have normal GTT results. Metformin might be a good idea in your case. Maybe you can share some of your stats? Your weight, height, fat %, what you normally eat in a day and calorie intake. Also any other blood test you've gotten done by labs. 

#5 gill3362

• 39 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

Just to get down and dirty on simple lifestyle things you can do:

Try focusing on getting more fiber, look for carb sources that are half or more fiber (green veggies, basically).

Use vinegars like a condiment. Put rice vinegar on things, cook veggies with apple cider vinegar.

Look into eating fermented foods: Kimchi, pickles (low sugar pickles of course), sauer kraut.

All of those options are pretty low cal so it can work with your CR. Update us so we can see if that helps.

#6 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:29 AM

Please help, I have no idea how my raw eating, no cooked food to avoid AGES, and daily tea intake along with what I listed above, is still yielding me pre-diabetic numbers. I get plenty of sleep, get over 100 percent of each nutrient daily...

Made a similar experience when I thought a 1 week water fast would bring it down.. instead my body seem to have gotten really good at gluconeogenesis in that week, and I suffered high fasting blood glucose for a long time. Early morning cortisol certainly played a role in my case.

To get the whole picture I would also test post-prandial blood glucose (usually 1 hour after eating), HbA1c, fasting Insulin and maybe C-peptide. Along with all other blood-tests you can get (inflammation, liver, kidneys, CBC, hormones, thyroid, electrolytes..)

#7 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:56 PM

Maybe limit your carbs or sugar for a couple of days, then check again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diabetes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users