• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

austio arthritis has come calling, I'd like it to feel less welcome.

arthritis austio

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ron45

• 207 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:21 AM

I'm seeking advice  on ways to put my gut biome back in charge of my health. I've been reading about substances in my life that hinder gut biome vitality, i've stopped using NSAIDS. and am cutting sugar back. 

I'd like to know: substitures for NSAIDS THAT WORK.

How much sugar in grams or what ever can my biome tolerate on a daily basis. I have access to pre and pro biotics of good quality and also fermented foods.

Are there other things I can use to bolster gut health. I'm hoping this routs tho lengthy, will put the O.A. on the back burner so to speak.

Ron

I don't mind reading as long as the science is acceptable to the author's peers. and thank you very much for listening.

#2 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:57 AM

Give curcumin a try. It helps with inflammation (for me) in ways similar to ibuprofen. Various concoctions exist to make it more bioavailable -- I find Jarrow's 95 works great. Gaia's various turmeric and curcumin formulae work, too, but they're more expensive.

...I have access to pre and pro biotics of good quality and also fermented foods.

Are there other things I can use to bolster gut health...

For prebiotics I eat:

* raw chicory root
* raw Jerusalem artichoke
* raw dandelion greens
* raw garlic
* raw leeks
* raw or cooked onions
* raw jicama
* raw asparagus
* Raw wheat bran

Edited by sthira, 06 May 2017 - 03:02 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:19 AM

"I'd like to know: substitures for NSAIDS THAT WORK."

SAM-e to the rescue!

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/15102339

S-adenosyl methionine (SAMe) versus celecoxib for the treatment of osteoarthritis symptoms: a double-blind cross-over trial. [ISRCTN36233495].

CONCLUSION:

"SAMe has a slower onset of action but is as effective as celecoxib in the management of symptoms of knee osteoarthritis. Longer studies are needed to evaluate the long-term effectiveness of SAMe and the optimal dose to be used."

Edited by synesthesia, 06 May 2017 - 04:21 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:08 AM

Niacinamide is worth looking into
http://jeffreydachmd...osteoarthritis/

"Inflamm Res. 1996 Jul;45(7):330-4.
The effect of niacinamide on osteoarthritis: a pilot study.
Jonas WB1, Rapoza CP, Blair WF.
To evaluate the effect of niacinamide, on selected parameters of osteoarthritis using a double-blind, placebo controlled study design.
METHODS:Seventy two patients with osteoarthritis were randomized for treatment with niacinamide or an identical placebo for 12 weeks. Outcome measures included global arthritis impact and pain, joint range of motion and flexibility, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, complete blood count, liver function tests, cholesterol, uric acid, and fasting blood sugar. Compliance was monitored with a pill record sheet and interview.
RESULTS:Global arthritis impact improved by 29% (95% confidence interval [CI] 6, 46) in subjects on niacinamide and worsened by 10% in placebo subjects (p = 0.04). Pain levels did not change but those on niacinamide reduced their anti-inflammatory medications by 13% (95% CI 9, 94; p = 0.01). Niacinamide reduced erythrocyte sedimentation rate by 22% (95% CI 6, 51; p < 0.005) and increased joint mobility by 4.5 degrees over controls (8 degrees vs 3.5 degrees; p = 0.04). Side effects were mild but higher in the niacinamide group (40% vs 27%, p = 0.003).
CONCLUSION:This study indicates that niacinamide may have a role in the treatment of osteoarthritis. Niacinamide improved the global impact of osteoarthritis, improved joint flexibility, reduced inflammation, and allowed for reduction in standard anti-inflammatory medications when compared to placebo. More extensive evaluation of niacinamide in arthritis is warranted."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: arthritis, austio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users