Can liver be related to mental health?

liver anxiety paranoia jaundice bilirubin

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 shyherdier

• 20 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:54 PM

I've been stressed and anxious all my life, especially from when my teen years ended. I'm diagnosed with depression and avoidant personality disorder. Nothing has worked for me and I've tried a lot. Conventional meds, Chinese medicine, vitamins and minerals. Basically anything that's peddled on iHerb with raving reviews.

I wonder if the reason why nothing is working is that my anxiety/depression/paranoia has something to do with my liver. I had some general tests done a few months ago and the physician told me I had very high bilirubin levels. Then I remembered in the past my parents said I had been born jaundice and was kept in an incubator for my first few days of life. A probable result of parents who smoked and drunk alcohol through my conception and pregnancy, though I don't know for sure if that made any difference.

So I wonder if the high bilirubin is a lingering effect of the jaundice. I'm 25 now. My skin does seem to have a yellow tinge. The tinge is most noticeable on the undersides of my arm and on my legs. And in general it has been pointed out to me before that I look yellowy sometimes. Maybe unrelated, but I avoid alcohol not on principle but on how it badly affects me. I get very strong, lingering hangovers even after just one drink. Could be to do with my liver being unable to cope?

I'm a little short of money at the moment and can't afford to go shopping for liver tonics etc to see if it has any effect on me. It might be completely unrelated to my mental health. Or is it? Are there any studies relating poor liver function to deteriorating mental health?

#2 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

No.. Look at liver failure and side-effects. Your symptoms are not close. It's clearly something genetic to do with neurotransmitters, no other explanation needed. Look into disease models of avoidant personality disorder.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Disagree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:33 PM

OP, Google for Gilbert's syndrome. My cousin has it and he's sickly and careful what he eats or drinks. Shouldn't cause major psychologic problems, but people tend to be tired and anxious. My cousin isn't.

#4 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:58 PM

One more thought. NAC helps with both liver and CNS inflammation. Worth trying but don't expect immediate​ effects. It's more a long term thing.

#5 shyherdier

• Topic Starter
  • 20 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:44 AM

No.. Look at liver failure and side-effects. Your symptoms are not close. It's clearly something genetic to do with neurotransmitters, no other explanation needed. Look into disease models of avoidant personality disorder.

Ahh. Silly me. Of course, how could I be so stupid. Being born orange and being unable to ever drink alcohol like everybody else around me OBVIOUSLY means everything is perfect with my liver. /s

I knew coming here was a bad idea. I'm so happy that you insufferable jerkoffs keep to this website and this website alone with your own filthy kind. So stuck-up with your NZT-48 and fountain of youth fantasies. Enjoy watching your hard-earned "donations" to this cause go to paltry no-name "scientists" who toil ever so faithfully in your honour figuring out such crucial mysteries of the universe such as "The effects of 6.98% Acai Berry extract on the nose-blowing habits of albino mice".

• Unfriendly x 1

#6 Advocatus Diaboli

• 555 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:05 AM

Could be Gilbert's syndrome (GS).  Funny, Jack Black, your post wasn't there when I replied. Anyway, GMTA.

From Wikipedia:

Gilbert's syndrome produces an elevated level of unconjugated bilirubin in the bloodstream, but normally has no serious consequences. Mild jaundice may appear under conditions of exertion, stress, fasting, and infections, but the condition is otherwise usually asymptomatic.[8][9] Severe cases are seen by yellowing of the skin tone and yellowing of the sclera in the eye.

Symptoms, whether connected or not to GS, have been reported in a subset of those affected: feeling tired all the time (fatigue), difficulty maintaining concentration, unusual patterns of anxiety, loss of appetite, nausea, abdominal pain, loss of weight, itching (with no rash), and others,[22] but scientific studies found no clear pattern of adverse symptoms related to the elevated levels of unconjugated bilirubin in adults. However, other substances glucuronidized by the affected enzymes in Gilbert's syndrome sufferers could theoretically, at their toxic levels, cause these symptoms.[23][24] (see below). Consequently, debate exists about whether GS should be classified as a disease.[23][25] However, Gilbert's syndrome has been linked to an increased risk of gallstones.[22][26]

Edited by hypnos, 04 June 2017 - 07:08 AM.

#7 shyherdier

• Topic Starter
  • 20 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:12 AM

Could be Gilbert's syndrome (GS).

From Wikipedia:

Gilbert's syndrome produces an elevated level of unconjugated bilirubin in the bloodstream, but normally has no serious consequences. Mild jaundice may appear under conditions of exertion, stress, fasting, and infections, but the condition is otherwise usually asymptomatic.[8][9] Severe cases are seen by yellowing of the skin tone and yellowing of the sclera in the eye.

Symptoms, whether connected or not to GS, have been reported in a subset of those affected: feeling tired all the time (fatigue), difficulty maintaining concentration, unusual patterns of anxiety, loss of appetite, nausea, abdominal pain, loss of weight, itching (with no rash), and others,[22] but scientific studies found no clear pattern of adverse symptoms related to the elevated levels of unconjugated bilirubin in adults. However, other substances glucuronidized by the affected enzymes in Gilbert's syndrome sufferers could theoretically, at their toxic levels, cause these symptoms.[23][24] (see below). Consequently, debate exists about whether GS should be classified as a disease.[23][25] However, Gilbert's syndrome has been linked to an increased risk of gallstones.[22][26]

Well I have had severe periods of itching with no rash and most of those other symptoms. I also sometimes get very strong ammonia smells from my urine. Sometimes it is so foul I can small it even after putting my clothes back on. And it leaves like a powder substance in my underwear. But it doesn't happen each day or each week. Comes and goes.

#8 Nootropic Cat

• 148 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:10 AM

I'd def recommend trying tianeptine if you haven't already done so, OP.

Also meditation/general mindfulness practice tends to help with just about any mental condition.

I understand that you're angry about your situation and that when it comes to paranoia, there's you and then there's everyone else (trust me I've been there, the tendency is to perceive everyone else as a threat, I get it) but try not to lash out. You're asking for help, and I promise you that on this site at least, there are lots of people who want to help, so don't push them away. The poster who gave you a crappy response has evidently picked up a lot of downvoting for his crappy responses which only goes to show that most people here are decent and value decency. Good luck.

Edited by Nootropic Cat, 07 June 2017 - 03:12 AM.

• Agree x 2

#9 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:39 AM

Have you ever heard of schizophrenics having asthma? It's entirely a possible combination.

What you're doing is you're trying to make your disease into a physical one by playing with words, "I'm not really mentally ill because it's caused by liver disease!"

Sadly for you this sort of play with words doesn't work because mental diseases can have all sorts of causes, including organ failure. What makes a mental disease a mental disease is the fact that the symptoms pertain to the mental. As simple as that.

Now hmmm.. if I am wrong and you're not just trying to "destigmatize" your disease, why are you looking into the liver when there are a thousand better explanations sitting right in front of your eyes?

• Enjoying the show x 1

#10 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:20 PM

Just pump Taurine, Glycine, Picamilon, Magnesium Glycinate, L-Theanine, and Ashwagandha into your body like I do. Get them all in the powder form from bulksupplements, you can get them very cheap there. You will also need a scale. 

Don't forget a multivitamin without Magnesium Stearate. Get the NOW brand. 

Make sure you are getting enough Potassium too, you can get it in high amounts from milk and orange juice. 

Edited by Jiminy Glick, 08 June 2017 - 07:25 PM.

#11 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:05 PM

I forgot to mention Lemon Balm. 

#12 shyherdier

• Topic Starter
  • 20 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

Have you ever heard of schizophrenics having asthma? It's entirely a possible combination.

What you're doing is you're trying to make your disease into a physical one by playing with words, "I'm not really mentally ill because it's caused by liver disease!"

Sadly for you this sort of play with words doesn't work because mental diseases can have all sorts of causes, including organ failure. What makes a mental disease a mental disease is the fact that the symptoms pertain to the mental. As simple as that.

Now hmmm.. if I am wrong and you're not just trying to "destigmatize" your disease, why are you looking into the liver when there are a thousand better explanations sitting right in front of your eyes?

I don't know what you're on about. I made it clear in my OP that I have already tried different avenues of medicating myself (for 7 years) based on various possible causes. The most recent being poor liver health which I've already backed up with proof that my liver may not be 100% right. It could easily be behind my mental illness and anxiety. When you've spent years trying and failing, anything looks like a hopeful chance.

#13 shyherdier

• Topic Starter
  • 20 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:06 AM

Well I am going to start treatment under the assumption that I have Gilberts Syndrome. I will post back later with what the liver stack is. This is my current (basic) stack for mental health/skincare/haircare, been on it for two weeks only:

• Vitamin D3 5000IU
  • SAMe 400mg
  • B Vitamin Complex
  • Liposomal Vitamin C 1000mg
  • High EPA fish oil 1000-2000mg
  • Zinc Picolinate 15mg

#14 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:27 PM

I don't know what you're on about. I made it clear in my OP that I have already tried different avenues of medicating myself (for 7 years) based on various possible causes. The most recent being poor liver health which I've already backed up with proof that my liver may not be 100% right. It could easily be behind my mental illness and anxiety. When you've spent years trying and failing, anything looks like a hopeful chance.

What disease models have you tested? What medications have you tried?

#15 shyherdier

• Topic Starter
  • 20 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:18 AM

What disease models have you tested? What medications have you tried?

So you can scoff and criticise again? I don't think so.

#16 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:37 PM

arguably excessive alcohol is no good.  lately i've been indulging in more red wine than the prescribed limit of one glass per day.  and it looks like my days of pawning off clean copies of Windows thru my PC tune-up service are coming to an end.  now i must drop all my acid at once and go dancing thru Wal-mart to loops of Rasputin and the Matrix reloaded soundtrack

• unsure x 1

#17 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:29 PM

yes

• WellResearched x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#18 hydrus

• 98 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:38 PM

yes of course it can. all organs are connected somehow.

If the liver does not produce certain substances your brain cannot function

if the kidneys do not eliminate certain substances toxins can build up and poison your brain metabolism

if your hormonal glands do not function your brain will not have enough hormones to function

if you have inflammation in the body, your immune system will tell your brain to adjust neurotransmitter levels

etc...

basically the idea of mental health being restricted to just 3 neurotransmitters, 1 organ or just your psyche is a nonsense. you are your entire body including your gut bacteria.

Edited by hydrus, 26 March 2018 - 09:45 PM.

• Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: liver, anxiety, paranoia, jaundice, bilirubin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users