Which Derma Pen to Buy (for acne scars)

dermapen derma pen derma pen mym derminator

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ben

• 2,010 posts
  • -2 â‚®

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:02 AM

I have found the following derma stamp like devices for sale. Of the Chinese ones, there are many sellers but a limited number of different devices.

Chinese (found on dhgate, alibaba, ebay, etc):

Dr Pen or Dr Pen Ultima

Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 4.42.21 pm.png   264.53KB   3 downloads

(red and white with dr pen in black text)

MyM Pen 

Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 4.42.29 pm.png   178.93KB   3 downloads

(looks exactly like the dr pen except with MyM in black text instead of dr pen)

Aluminium Dr. Pen or Dr Pen Ultima A6

Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 4.42.41 pm.png   360.7KB   3 downloads

(metallic body with red or blue metal ring)

Dr Pen 

Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 4.42.52 pm.png   184.58KB   3 downloads

(metallic or plastic metallic body with black caps on either end)

Derminator

Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 4.42.56 pm.png   451.25KB   3 downloads

(hand held, smaller, all white plastic device)

Of these the derminator is as much as 10 times more expensive than the others. A page on the site that sells it though shows evidence how cheaper devices cause "microtearing" and calls the other devices "cheap chinese buzzers". Micro tearing is bad as it may cause (according to the site) enlarged pores, less efficacy and more negative side effects. 

Has anyone tried one of these? What do you think?

#2 happy lemon

• 275 posts
  • 8 â‚®

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:17 PM

Before buying the Derminator, I got four MyM pens from China.

The power of MyM was so ridiculously weak that they were just a toy to me. In fact, I bought one pen first but found that it could do nothing other than "moving", it could not puncture a paper.  Then I made a complaint and the vendor sent me a replacement.but it was the same.  Months later, I purchased another one from other vendor; again, I made a complaint as well & replacement was another piece of toy.

Now, I am a happy user of Derminator.

• Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • 290 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:38 PM

Derminator is a good device, no questions about that...but is VERY expensive for what it is, a tattoo gun set up all included comes at about 20-25$, plenty of power and I would really like someone to show me how it should be any inferior respect the derminator (I think the opposite is true with the rotary tattoo gun better than the derminator) .

The tearing issue is just a marketing tool, eventually it could be determined by the ratio between speed of moving along and frequency of the needles, move a bit slower or speed up the frequency and issue solved, I can't see any reason why one should move around at high speed and anyway a rotary tattoo gun is capable of speeds a derminator can only dream about.

Those pens are rubbish and more expensive than tattoo guns.

#4 ekaitz

• 67 posts
  • 5 â‚®

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:15 PM

Derminator is a good device, no questions about that...but is VERY expensive for what it is, a tattoo gun set up all included comes at about 20-25$, plenty of power and I would really like someone to show me how it should be any inferior respect the derminator (I think the opposite is true with the rotary tattoo gun better than the derminator) .

The tearing issue is just a marketing tool, eventually it could be determined by the ratio between speed of moving along and frequency of the needles, move a bit slower or speed up the frequency and issue solved, I can't see any reason why one should move around at high speed and anyway a rotary tattoo gun is capable of speeds a derminator can only dream about.

Those pens are rubbish and more expensive than tattoo guns.

Do you know of a tattoo gun set of good quality to compet with derminator? Also, derminator has a community behind for sharing methods of use and results.

#5 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • 290 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:09 PM

Since you aren't a professional tattooist you don't really need a good quality set up, a decent one will be more than enough and will stand any competition with a derminator.

A derminator imitates what a tattoo gun does: a needle (or more) moving fast up and down, no rocket science here.

A derminator offers a dedicated look, is already set for the scope and offers the appropriate needles only.

A tattoo gun is much more versatile, you have to set it up for the scope and you have to chose the appropriate needles, some little hacks might be required for easier use.

A rotary tattoo gun is gentler than the derminator which is more like a coil gun likely reducing healing time and much faster (if you wish).

This one for example has the needle going in the skin up to 8000 times in one minute:

http://www.ebay.it/i...8YAAOSwpP9Y5vhl

#6 ekaitz

• 67 posts
  • 5 â‚®

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:36 PM

Since you aren't a professional tattooist you don't really need a good quality set up, a decent one will be more than enough and will stand any competition with a derminator.

A derminator imitates what a tattoo gun does: a needle (or more) moving fast up and down, no rocket science here.

A derminator offers a dedicated look, is already set for the scope and offers the appropriate needles only.

A tattoo gun is much more versatile, you have to set it up for the scope and you have to chose the appropriate needles, some little hacks might be required for easier use.

A rotary tattoo gun is gentler than the derminator which is more like a coil gun likely reducing healing time and much faster (if you wish).

This one for example has the needle going in the skin up to 8000 times in one minute:

http://www.ebay.it/i...8YAAOSwpP9Y5vhl

But can you easily adjust how much deep do you want the needle will go as with the derminator, for diferent face areas? Its not the same the around eyes area, than forehead, than cheeks... do you get that feature with the tatoo gun machine too?

Edited by ekaitz, 14 June 2017 - 07:37 PM.

#7 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • 290 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:25 PM

By default a tattooing gun dept is not really set but up to the experience and ability of the tattooist, however with a little hack you can easily overcome that by filing flat the needle opening (which in tattoo guns is 45°, not 90°) and adjusting how much the needle comes out to your desired dept (easily done by the apposite screw).

About different dept in different areas I am sorry but don't agree, with a dermaroller how do you achieve that?

Dept is dictated by goal, not area.

For rejuvenation and wrinkles about 1,5mm, for scars about 2,5mm.

Anyway if you are really convinced about the need for different dept for different area just adjust your gun accordingly, it takes slightly more time than with the derminator but is it really that 1 minute a week worth paying 10 folds the price?

#8 Ben

• Topic Starter
  • 2,010 posts
  • -2 â‚®

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:57 AM

A problem I can see with a single needle gun is that it will be too targeted. A device with a head with many needles will probably spread the stimulating effect and "smooth out" any inconsistencies, whereas with a single needle you have too fine a brush and will create an uneven effect.

• Good Point x 1

#9 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • 290 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:05 AM

In facts a single needle isn't likely to be the smartest choice.

#10 Ben

• Topic Starter
  • 2,010 posts
  • -2 â‚®

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

In facts a single needle isn't likely to be the smartest choice.

Do you mean you agree with my reasoning on "smoothing out inconsistencies"? 

Also, when you mention a tattoo gun, do you mean with a single needle or with a derma stamp cartridge*

(*note: these can be cheaply bought on dhgate, aliexpress, etc)

#11 Kturner1990

• 15 posts
  • 3 â‚®
  • âś”

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:56 PM

I have the Dr. Pen that comes in the black box. It's very strong, works great, and I can switch the heads to any different size. You can buy them on amazon or ebay. I bought it on overstock.com for fairly cheap. I'm not sure what the one in the red box does differently or what it means by ''ultima''. I have access to a centrifuge so I want to try drawing my blood and using it to do a platelet rich plasma facial. 

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#12 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • 290 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:58 PM

The advantage of tattoo guns is that there are many (really many) needles in different numbers and arrangements to chose from, plus it is easy to make your own too.

Cartridges as usually of poor quality and difficult to clean properly.

http://www.tattoomac...dle-sizes-tubes

#13 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts
  • 64 â‚®

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:20 PM

A problem I can see with a single needle gun is that it will be too targeted. A device with a head with many needles will probably spread the stimulating effect and "smooth out" any inconsistencies, whereas with a single needle you have too fine a brush and will create an uneven effect.

Strongly disagree.  See post 19 in this thread http://www.longecity...mp-experiment/ Using a stamp gets too big of an area and the pins don't even get in the wrinkles.

#14 Ben

• Topic Starter
  • 2,010 posts
  • -2 â‚®

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:37 AM

Yeah, I read into the way it supposed to work a bit more and I agree. 

UPDATE: I bought the derminator. If there is progress I will update with my regimen and photos. If there isn't progress, or there is regress, I will update too. Strongly recommend anyone interested in acne scarring to follow and bookmark this thread.

Edited by Ben, 15 September 2017 - 08:40 AM.

#15 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts
  • 631 â‚®

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:50 PM

Could one of these devices do anything for a scar from wound?  Like a surgical scar?

#16 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • 290 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:09 PM

Absolutely yes, that's how all started actually, tattooing discolored scars in order to ameliorate the issue noticeably and unexpectedly  leaded to improved scar texture...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dermapen, derma pen, derma, pen, mym, derminator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users