(Bulk) Hyaluronic acid powder; and other ingredients for facial cream

cream; anti-aging; facial; skin; uva-protection; collagen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Leni

• 63 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:37 PM

I was wondering if anyone knows where to buy good quality bulk (or at least a bit larger quantity than 1-2g) hyaluronic acid powder to make facial creams. I'm wondering if quality of (bulk( HA powder can be an issue?

I'm also searching for:

-- Alpha lipoic Acid

– Pantothenic Acid
– Urea
- EGCG powder

(Most listed products with special thanks to Aconita as I came up with them after reading his/her fantastic posts). I'm searching for products of not questionable quality. And either in Europe, or with decent shipping options to Europe.
Thanks!!

#2 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:13 PM

Alpha lipoic Acid, Pantothenic Acid (vitamin B5) and EGCG (extrait de thè vert) can be be bought here:

https://www.myprotei...ode=KARL-RHL

You'll likely be redirected to the French site (they are UK based anyway).

If you register by using the above link (or using this code: KARL-RHL) you'll get 25% off your order (and I get rewarded too :))

I buy urea here but I don't know if they do ship internationally:

http://farmaciaverni...emart&Itemid=65

Hyaluronic acid quality concerns are about purity, heavy metals contamination mainly, not less then a 98% purity is recommend, especially with lower than 400KDa HA since it crosses the skin barrier and acts as a transporter to all internal body areas.

The problem is the vast majority of it is made in China and their certificates of analysis are often unreliable.

Molecular weight matters, above 400KDa maybe crosses some superficial skin layer but doesn't reach the blood stream, it is still good since acts as a beautiful moisturizer but if one aims to reach the deeper skin layers 400KDA or less are preferable, ultra low molecular weight aren't necessary for that and I am not sure if they are useful in any way or even counterproductive, mixing different molecular weights is always an option (anyway is never an homogeneous weight but a range that averages what claimed).

I buy mine from DE or UK sellers on eBay, more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better quality (purity), if the molecular weight isn't specified ask, if the seller isn't able to tell skip it, terms like "low, medium or high molecular weight" mean nothing, everybody has its own idea about what is low and what it isn't, Dalton (Da) is the measure unit, no guessing there.

About buying bulk, 1g hyaluronic acid yields 50-150g of gel, preferably 100g (1%), 100g gel at once a day on whole face will last more than 3 months, HA shelf life is reasonably long (1 year at least) but better not to store it forever...

5g will outlast one year of everyday use.

About Alpha lipoic Acid be aware it doesn't solves in water, you can't just add it to a HA gel, in order to do that you need at least a surfactanct like lecithin, for example.

I haven't tried yet to add lecithin to HA gels, mainly because lecithin yields a cream by itself (no need for a gel).

I might suggest a liposomal cream for Alpha lipoic Acid.

Add ALA, granular lecithin (soy or, even better, sunflower) and water in a blender (or in a glass and an immersion mixer) for about 2-3 minutes... voilà!

Keep both HA gels and lecithin creams in the fridge and use before 30 days (for lecithin creams maybe only 1-2 weeks).

By the way I am a male and a nasty one too, no need to display aged skin in order to kick asses! :)

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Leni

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:48 PM

Thanks Aconita! Fantastic post again. By the time you'll start selling HA/lyposome creams I'd probably be the first in line to buy them from you  :-D .

I'll place an order from the website myprotein.it you posted, using the link you posted or your code. Thanks a bunch! Very helpful, as is the rest of your post.

Sorry but can I buy the granular lecithin at that website myprotein.it too? I couldn't find it, but my Italian is very poor (read: non-existent).

Edited by Lenie, 28 August 2017 - 08:48 PM.

#4 Leni

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:59 PM

A bit off-topic and perhaps I should open a new topic for this, however, if I can ask, Aconita:

What are the ingredients you'd recommend adding to a HA gel/lyposome cream with the most (interesting) research behind them, for 'anti-aging' purposes (i.e. skin renewal, elastin/collagen).

I came up with the following ingredients (from your own posts, so source: "Aconita"):  :)

– Hyaluronic acid gel 
– Alpha lipoic Acid
– Pantothenic Acid
– Urea
– Melatonin

And I was thinking perhaps EGCG?

I was actually wondering exactly the same thing concerning the ingredients for a serum to use underneath your sunscreen with the most (interesting) research behind them concerning UV (and invisible light)-protective properties. 

- Vitamin C

- Vitamin E

- Ferulic acid

- ECGC?

Thanks so much!!

Edited by Lenie, 28 August 2017 - 09:11 PM.

#5 Oakman

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:06 PM

I've been playing around with some creams, mostly with a base of hyaluronic acid, MSM, then dissolving Niagen and pterostilbene into it, for use on head and arms. 

Basic patents: 

Niagen > https://www.google.c...5066382A1?cl=en

Nicotinamide riboside compositions for topical use in treating skin conditions 

Pterostilbene > https://www.google.c...s/US20160067193

Topical pterostilbene compositions for use in treating uv-induced skin damage and hyperplasia

That's gone, so time for a new recipe using some/all below. The goals will be reduced ipofuscin production, improved skin tone, brightness, and smoothness, plus UV protection.

NIAGEN

DMAE/MSM cream (as base)

Hyaluronic Acid 

Pterostilbene

Acetyl-L Carnatine

Alpha Lipoic Acid 

Vitamin C

Lenie, be sure to keep us updated on your cream making once you get your ingredients.

• like x 1

#6 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:23 AM

Myprotein has a French site too, it will likely redirect you there automatically when you register.

Granular lecithin isn't sold by them but usually you can find it in food stores and pharmacies, it might not be so easy to find sunflower lecithin which is preferable because the extraction process is just pressing (while with soy needs solvents not necessarily friendly) and there are no phytoestrogens (unlike with soy).

What seems to be an excellent source for it:

https://www.teetraeu...5&referid=20162

By the way consider supplementing it too (1,2-5g/day), it is off topic here but do your own research and find out why.

Don't expect miracles from topical creams or gels, what you can easily and cheaply make at home can compete (and often win) with the most expensive and branded products on the market, certainly without all the chemicals they have to use in order to guarantee long shelf life, appealing look and smell, etc...

That said as a rule of thumb what you can expect is moisturizing, antioxidant and exfoliation.

Some specific issue can be addressed too but in general those are what is welcome by everybody.

As moisturizers HA gels and lecithin work very well, oils and butters do work but tend to be comedogenic, if one isn't concerned about that issue there is an endless list but in the end if you look at the composition usually there isn't that much difference, I might suggest emu oil, red palm oil, coconut oil and castor oil (not by itself but blended in one of the others).

As antioxidants ALA is one of the best I can think of but there are a lot of antioxidants which can be used topically, basically all, from grape seeds extract to ascorbic acid, each comes wit its own advantages and downsides but in the end I doubt it would be necessary to go mad about finding a magic one, what they do is basically the same, choose one you like and be happy.

ALA doesn't solves in water but a really tiny amount does a lot, doesn't stain or irritate (it stings a bit if too concentrated and is unpleasant if inhaled but liposomal should minimize those and anyway it's bearable).

Exfoliation can be achieved with urea but my somehow preferred is glycolic acid.

Glycolic acid is usually referred at as a peeler, well, after many years I have never been able to get a real peeling out of it regardless of concentrations, it is more an exfoliation (you don't see layer of skin coming off, actually you see nothing of the kind at all), best concentrations are below 10% used everyday in cycles.

Urea is handy on calluses or hard skin as a softener, on face I prefer better glycolic acid, but that's just me.

Pantothenic Acid might help with acne.

Vitamin C tends to irritate causing inflammation and even burns, I don't like it, I'll recommend low concentration and/or buffering it with baking soda.

I doubt it would be very effective or even possible to boost collagen production with topical lotions, it pertains to a much deeper biological level with its own bottlenecks unlikely to be addressed topically.

EGCG is mainly an antioxidant but topical tea might exert a subcutaneous fat reduction and you DON'T want that, believe me.

Melatonin is an antioxidant but its low molecular weight allows for crossing the skin barrier, before sleeping can be interesting, it is water soluble (you can add it to HA gels).

Ferulic acid is another antioxidant which might help to reduce dimers formation due to UV exposure too.

Pterostilbene might be interesting for its chemoprotective effects

But something eludes me: "to use underneath sunscreen", if one uses sunscreen what for the use of protection at cellular level?

Sunscreen doesn't allow for radiations to reach the cells in the first place, end of the story.

I don't like sunscreens, never used one, are loaded with compounds I rather prefer sun radiations to, but that's just me, of course.

Nicotinamide riboside...don't know about this one, would it be much different than nicotinamide and ribose?

Much more expensive for sure.

Everyday use, mmmm.....maybe every other day (alternating mitochondrial fission and fusion)...but wouldn't be better as a supplement instead?

• like x 1

#7 Leni

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

Interesting Oakman - Niagen looks promising and worth looking into. Please keep us updated about your new cream too: I for one would be very interested to hear how that will work out for you. I'm going to look into the items you listed a bit more. Thanks!

Edited by Lenie, 29 August 2017 - 11:52 AM.

#8 Leni

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:06 PM

Thanks so much for the insightful post again, Aconita! It's going to take me some time to read all well, and look into your advice a bit more. So that's what I'm going to do now :)

#9 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:36 AM

The copper peptide skin creams might be worth looking into. I just started using one a few weeks ago so its a little early to determine results but many people have been happy with them.

#10 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:02 PM

The copper peptide skin creams might be worth looking into. I just started using one a few weeks ago so its a little early to determine results but many people have been happy with them.

From what I've seen, getting copper peptides for a DIY topic is very costly. 100's easily.

#11 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:33 PM

Oh I don't know, I bought a small bottle called amy for about $21 off amazon and it has high ratings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users