Photo
- - - - -

Ashwagandha Dosage + Timing

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:10 AM

I've been experimenting with 200-500mg of ashwaganha, taken at night, cause it makes me damn tired. Anybody else? I'd like to hear a roll call of anyone who is also taking it, when and how much, any long-term thoughts about it.

edit: Mine's 2.56% Withanolides; 1.14% Alkaloids.

Edited by mitkat, 15 March 2006 - 04:35 AM.

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:22 AM

I take 1.5g (2.5% Withanolides, 0.1% Sitoindosides) daily. I take it before bed. The research on it looks pretty promising, so I'll keep taking it for now...especially considering how cheap it is.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 guyledouche

• 130 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:41 AM

My ashwagandha should be showing up in the mail any day now. Some people have reported that it makes them stimulated but most say that it makes them tired. Thats strange, sounds cool though, cant wait to try it. I'll let you know how it works for me as soon as I take it.

#4 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:55 AM

I'm taking it for months now. Makes me easy going and relaxed.....more talkactive and sociable. I have no problem being tired on normal days, but if i didn't sleep well, ashwagandha is the push in the back to not waking up all day.

i take 2 times 450 mg 4.5% extract. ( not during the weekend )

#5 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:08 PM

Tired? check your thyroid levels.

#6 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:03 PM

I've thought of that before also, as my father has a thyroid problem (can't remember which type). But I have had no other "tired reaction" to any kind of supplements, it's only with the gandha at approx 500 to maybe 700mg. I figured I was just particularly susceptible to it's ayurvedic charms.

#7 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

I have the same. Got my Thyroid levels checked some months ago. No problem.

Ashwagandha could increase thyroid levels rather then lower them.

[Thyrotoxicosis following the use of ashwagandha]

[Article in Dutch]

van der Hooft CS, Hoekstra A, Winter A, de Smet PA, Stricker BH.

Inspectie voor de Gezondheidszorg, sectie Geneesmiddelenbewaking, Postbus 16.119, 2500 BC Den Haag.

A 32-year-old healthy woman developed thyrotoxicosis while taking capsules that contained ashwagandha herbal extract for symptoms of chronic fatigue. She was not taking any other remedies or medications. During the first few weeks, she took the capsules only occasionally without any symptoms, but after increasing the dose, she experienced clinical symptoms indicative of thyrotoxicosis. This was confirmed by laboratory assessment. The symptoms resolved spontaneously after discontinuation of the ashwagandha capsules and laboratory values normalised. To our knowledge, this relationship has not been reported previously in humans. Data from animal studies, however, have suggested that ashwagandha can increase serum concentrations of thyroid hormones. This case study suggests that thyrotoxicosis is a potentially serious side effect of ashwagandha.

Changes in thyroid hormone concentrations after administration of ashwagandha root extract to adult male mice.
Panda S, Kar A.

School of Life Sciences, D.A. University, Indore, India.

The importance of ashwagandha root extract in the regulation of thyroid function with special reference to type-I iodothyronine 5'-monodeiodinase activity in mice liver has been investigated. Although the root extract (1.4 g kg(-1)) administered daily for 20 days by gastric intubation increased serum 3,3',5-triiodothyronine (T3) and tetraiodothyronine (T4) concentrations and hepatic glucose-6-phosphatase activity, hepatic iodothyronine 5'-monodeiodinase activity did not change significantly. Furthermore, ashwagandha root extract significantly reduced hepatic lipid peroxidation, whereas the activity of antioxidant enzymes such as superoxide dismutase and catalase were increased. These findings reveal that the ashwagandha root extract stimulates thyroidal activity and also enhances the antiperoxidation of hepatic tissue.

#8 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:43 PM

I would like to know what the doses were that woman took. And what is "(1.4 g kg(-1))"?

#9 superpooper

• 190 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:24 AM

I've noticed both stimulant and depressant effects from ashwagandha. I think the stimulant effects come from Muscarinic acetylcholine receptors. I have definitly noticed an increase in creativity since taking the supplement.

#10 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:42 PM

What drmz posted is why I said to check your thyroid (not just bloodtests) after a course of ashwaganda.

#11 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:43 PM

I've thought of that before also, as my father has a thyroid problem (can't remember which type). But I have had no other "tired reaction" to any kind of supplements, it's only with the gandha at approx 500 to maybe 700mg. I figured I was just particularly susceptible to it's ayurvedic charms.

I would discontinue using it.

#12 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:57 PM

I'm going to continue to experiment with it, I was not complaining it made me tired-ish, just making a statement. I have no symptoms of a over/underactive thyroid except for this, if gandha even in such a low dose it would qualify. I also have consumed many foods that would irritate a thyroid condition. Do you have a thyroid condition, syr_?

#13 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:13 PM

I would like to know what the doses were that woman took. And what is "(1.4 g kg(-1))"?

Good question..... without the -1 you would think the woman took about 84 gr of ashwagandha extract a day...probably it's 8.4 gr. I don't understand the -1

I don't think you need to worry when taking normal doses, 450 mg - 1000 mg. The woman is just 1 isolated case on many users. Like mitkat, i wasn't complaining about being tired.

#14 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 March 2006 - 02:37 PM

I'm going to continue to experiment with it, I was not complaining it made me tired-ish, just making a statement. I have no symptoms of a over/underactive thyroid except for this, if gandha even in such a low dose it would qualify. I also have consumed many foods that would irritate a thyroid condition. Do you have a thyroid condition, syr_?

I think very low doses of adaptogen herbs are not harmful. But when you start raising dosages they are very effective, even more that u can imagine.

Yes, I have (had?) a slight hypothyroidism. My values were fine last year (havent done my general tests yet this year). I did various things but I think the main cause of that improvement (normalization) has been forskolin.

#15 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:35 PM

Yeah, I was taking Eleutherococcus senticosus for a long period and had good results, I am familiar with adaptogens [thumb] It's just the gandha...well...you know *yawns*

#16 guyledouche

• 130 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:20 PM

I got my ashwagandha 4 days ago and have taken it 3 nights in a row so far. At 1.5%. I took 300mg 1rst night, 500mg 2nd night, and 700mg the 3rd night. I felt relaxed and more social, my energy levels felt normal, and I was being argumentative with family. I felt a definite increase in my GABA levels, which tend to make me more agressive and argumentative. I dont get as nervous in social situations when my GABA levels are boosted but I tend to be more rude. Does anyone know how I could erase that mean side that comes out when I get my GABA levels boosted?

#17 superpooper

• 190 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:41 PM

I got my ashwagandha 4 days ago and have taken it 3 nights in a row so far. At 1.5%. I took 300mg 1rst night, 500mg 2nd night, and 700mg the 3rd night. I felt relaxed and more social, my energy levels felt normal, and I was being argumentative with family. I felt a definite increase in my GABA levels, which tend to make me more agressive and argumentative. I dont get as nervous in social situations when my GABA levels are boosted but I tend to be more rude. Does anyone know how I could erase that mean side that comes out when I get my GABA levels boosted?

I think Ashwagandha Mimics GABA but it doesn't actually increase it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_docsum

#18 guyledouche

• 130 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:13 AM

I think Ashwagandha Mimics GABA but it doesn't actually increase it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_docsum

oh.........I didnt look into its specific effects before taking it. All that I knew before taking it was that it was supposed to relieve some stress. After taking it I felt like a GABA machine. Thanx for the info, now I know that it mimics GABA instead of boosting it. I find the ashwagandha to be quite pleasing as long as Im careful with what I say to people(i dont think before i speak on this stuff). The 700mg dose that I took felt similar to Clonazepam. It was very relaxing but not as sedating as the Clonazepam.

#19 guyledouche

• 130 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:22 AM

I wanna get some of that 8% jarrow sensoril stuff. I dont get tired from Ashwagandha guys. Even at a dose of 1.5% 1500mgs my energy levels feel completely normal. This stuff has got to be one of the best herbs on the planet.

#20 kurt

• 59 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:27 AM

Is is better to take Sensoril on an empty stomach? Does taking with food affect absorption/bioavailability? Its definitely easier to take if it doesnt require you to take on an empty stomach.

#21 Grail

• Guest, F@H
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:59 AM

I have the Jarrow stuff, and take 1 cap an hour before bed. Just right for me I think. Noticed a decrease in stress levels. Take it at night because it makes me sleepy sometimes.

#22 kurt

• 59 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 06:52 AM

I take Sensoril twice a day...but I wonder if taking with food might affect the function of the oligosaccharides(as carriers)? I take them on empty stomach therefore. Its a trouble though.

#23 stephenszpak

• 448 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 01:03 AM

mitkat

(I'll assume you know about goitrogens.)

Why are you taking ashwagandha? (if it is personal, forget I asked)

Someone a few days ago mentioned that they took Ashwagandha with Rhodiola
and other herbs in a gaia product. Maybe you need a combo (I doubt it will help,
it's just a thought). Let me know if you want me to find the link.

-Stephen

#24 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 07:36 AM

mitkat

(I'll assume you know about goitrogens.)

Why are you taking ashwagandha? (if it is personal, forget I asked)

Someone a few days ago mentioned that they took Ashwagandha with Rhodiola
and other herbs in a gaia product. Maybe you need a combo (I doubt it will help,
it's just a thought). Let me know if you want me to find the link.

-Stephen

Hey Stephan, nice to see this thread getting some love ;) I investigated the idea of goitrogens just before I started the thread, after trying to cut them out of my diet. I do consume a fair amount of these haters; especially spinach, tofu, and broccoli. I arrived at the same conclusion you might be at. After a few weeks with only 3 othrtocore a day, ghadha, and none of these vegs, I felt no different about it. For some reason, it no longer makes me as tired as it used to although I continue to take it at night.

#25 stephenszpak

• 448 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 04:37 PM

mitkat

I've quickly scanned your previous posts. I can't find anything positive
that you have written about your ashwagandha experience. So many
(just guessing here) of us have read about a given supplement and how
great it is and how there are no side effects. We try and try to make it
work according to what the book says, but it just won't.

-Stephen

#26 kurt

• 59 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:20 AM

Do you guys take it with or without food? And why?

Does taking it with a meal containing fats enhance absorption of important fat soluble constituents(if present) of the extract?

Or does taking it without food enhances the ability of the oligosaccharides to act as carriers?

#27 woly

• Guest, F@H
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:43 AM

Sorry to revive an old thread but i just bought AOR's Ghanda and they state to take something like 4 capsules a day (700mg extract per pill). compared to what others take, this seems like alot. Does anyone have any suggestion for optimal dosage?

#28 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:50 PM

Personally I take 2 NOW brand 450mg (4.5% Withanolides) at night along with my Bacopa 500 mg.

I will sometimes take half a cap if I have to do a presentation, have a social event or anything that tends to cause me anxiety.

AORs product is only 2.5% Withanolides so if I were to take that product I would end up having to take almost twice as much but still 4 caps seems a bit much unless you were taking it say three or four times a day.

#29 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:54 PM

With regards to herbs and dosage. Always try to take the dosage based upon the % percentage of the active compounds. So again a 2.5% is almost half a 4.5%.

My suggestion is to try different dosages on the weekend when you don't have to work or do school. Try it with an empty stomach and without other supplements and you will be able to gauge its effects on yourself withing 30-45 min of taking the dosage. Kind of a pain in the butt but it works.

For me a small dose say 200 ish mg of 4.5% is a good for calm energy and anything higher is good for relaxation and sleep. The real good effects are suppose to happen after long term use (rebuilding of neural pathways and enhancing the health of the nervous system, better adaptation to stress and recovery from exercise, etcetera)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 bakreee

• 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:50 PM

with ashwagandha....for females........can it increase facial hair because ive read it increases testosterone and increases androgens so this in turn would increase facial hair.............same with siberian ginseng anyone know?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users