Weird alcohol effect

alcohol brainfog procoginitve effectw weird

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Grandmaster

• 217 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:29 PM

Hello

Since few months ago i started to notice something interesting about alcohol effect on my cognition.

When i drink even one beer or glass of wine i start to feel sleepy and foggy - like my IQ and reflex are at half of normal level. But after few hours, mostly around 10pm-11pm i start to feel much more creative, my long term memory gets a bit better(this one might be a placebo), talkative and my mathematical abilites are better(i tested it, i could do a complex equation inside my head that i couldnt have done normally). Why alcohol(mosly red wine and vodka) have kinda prodigious effect on me and only 2-3 hours after i started drinking?  Important thing is I never get drunk that i cant control myself - even when drinking enormous amounts of beers or even when mixing wine with vodka,  mostly i only start getting sleepy. Those effects arent all placebo - i tested this many times, im currently in that state.

Currently i only take fish oil, vitamin b12, vitamin C and pregnenolone but i noticed this effect long time ago, like 2 years. I drink rather rarely, there were months when i drunk a beer or two during whole 30 days and now i started to do it often to get this pleasant feeling.

Edited by Grandmaster, 18 November 2017 - 11:33 PM.

#2 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:56 AM

http://www.longecity...ohol-nootropic/

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Grandmaster

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:16 PM

I had different experiences than things that OP described in the first post. I saw suggestion in one post that it might be increase of dopamine levels but since i tried to experiment with l-tyrosine - it gave me terrible brainfog and kind of dizzyness - im sceptic about it. Does alcohol icrease dopamine in a different way that tirosine or for example modafinil(selective, and weak dopamine reuptake inhiibitor)? Also as i wrote i experience this kind of effect only at nights.

#4 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:50 AM

alcohol has a lot a actions. strong acute dopaminergic, gabaergic, and anti-NMDA.

#5 Kinesis

• 262 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:38 PM

After a few hours you could be in mild withdrawal ... a little rebound from the CNS depressive effects of alcohol.

#6 Grandmaster

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:56 PM

After a few hours you could be in mild withdrawal ... a little rebound from the CNS depressive effects of alcohol.

That may be but why it would cause procognitive effects? I think it doesn't work like that for most of the people.

Part of the problem is this anticognitive effect at the beginning and fact that i never can get drunk. I think that may be connected to cortisol level since when i was taking ashvagandha i think this side effect of driking alcohol was not so detectable.

May it be some problem with adrenals?

Edited by Grandmaster, 20 November 2017 - 10:56 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Kinesis

• 262 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:44 AM

That may be but why it would cause procognitive effects? I think it doesn't work like that for most of the people.
Part of the problem is this anticognitive effect at the beginning and fact that i never can get drunk. I think that may be connected to cortisol level since when i was taking ashvagandha i think this side effect of driking alcohol was not so detectable.

May it be some problem with adrenals?

Sounds reasonable, GM. That’s kinda what I had in mind ... as the alcohol burns off you get a little cortisol rise that increases arousal and could be procognitive. That first part would be fairly normal; one reason alcohol is notorious for being bad for getting good quality sleep. As for whatever atypical response you get to it, your guess is as good as mine ... you’d probably need an in-depth neurochemical examination to get definitive answers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alcohol, brainfog, procoginitve, effectw, weird

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users