• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

We and the progressive left

science progressive left left

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 A941

• Topic Starter
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:44 PM

So I'm reading y'all Austrians are out in the streets today in protest. Sticking with the theme of this -- "We and the progressive left" -- how's that going? Did y'all march in it?

Not all Austrians, just a bunch of butthurt losers from the far-left. Aproximately 2000 People.

The last time we got the same kind of right-wing government (2000-2006) it ended in ruining scams. It's financial minister is under corruption trials still today (https://derstandard....mentiert-jedoch) These experiments with politicians too close to industry have a very short expiry date. And are the most power-full springboard for the left too win the next time around.

Too bad, that every politician these days, far or near left or right, in the middle or not really cognizable anymore, all have closer ties to industry than to voting citizens. The right is just a bid too unexperienced in Austria, and are bound to mess it up faster again.

So, if one is still fooled by this divide and rule scheme - left or right, all serving same masters - and doesn't like our new government, one doesn't has to demonstrate, but lean back enjoy watching destroy them-self again.

Dont forget that the Sozis blew 45 Billion ATS durning the construction of the AKH.

Generaly, politicians cant be trusted with money but until now we have not found a better system... maybe one day we will have AIs who run our gouvernments, and maybe we can make them as honest and law abbiding as possible. ;-D

#32 A941

• Topic Starter
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:03 PM

@pamojja

Imperialism as much as I am aware ´only´ attributed to several tens of millions of deaths according to the internet.

To you have sources?

Including nasty things like African slave trade, extinguished native Americans, countless wars?

Just one recent war killed an estimated 151.000 to 600.000 Iraqis in just 3-4 years of conflict. And we're all know that this is was the perfect precondition for the breeding of IS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_War

The Iraq War[nb 1] was a protracted armed conflict that began in 2003 with the invasion of Iraq by a United States-led coalition that overthrew the government of Saddam Hussein. The conflict continued for much of the next decade as an insurgency emerged to oppose the occupying forces and the post-invasion Iraqi government.[52] An estimated 151,000 to 600,000 or more Iraqis were killed in the first 3–4 years of conflict.

The Bush administration based its rationale for the war principally on the assertion that Iraq, which had been viewed by the US as a rogue state since the Persian Gulf War, possessed weapons of mass destruction (WMDs) and that the Iraqi government posed an immediate threat to the United States and its coalition allies.[55][56] Select U.S. officials accused Saddam of harbouring and supporting al-Qaeda,[57] while others cited the desire to end a repressive dictatorship and bring democracy to the people of Iraq.[58][59] After the invasion, no substantial evidence was found to verify the initial claims about WMDs, while claims of Iraqi officials collaborating with al-Qaeda were proven false. The rationale and misrepresentation of US prewar intelligence faced heavy criticism both domestically and internationally, with President Bush declining from his record-high approval ratings following 9/11 to become one of the most unpopular presidents in US history.[60]

Imperialism killed a lot of people but in general these numbers are lower than what christianity, islam, fascism and communism have done, especially "at home".
I also dont like that if we talk about the slavetrade we only mention the transatlantic slavetrade which was much smaller than the arab slavetrade and which was abolished in the 1860ies while the Arab slave trade goes on until today, it is just called differently, and inner african slavery is a thing too. Just no one cares, and i fear it is because the Perpetrators have the right skincolor (there was a shot documentary by an african filmmaker about that topic, ill try to find it).

The important part many people miss is not to attack people because a small part of their ancestors did something wrong, but to attack ideologies which enable such things, and those who support them. 

Also important: The majority of those who were killed in the Iraq war, were killed by insurgents or other unknown actors, not the US-Military.

I did not support the Iraq-war since it was forseeable what the outcomes would be, and that Moron Bush was pushing for it because of the loot.
The Iraqi people should have fought for their freedom themself, democracy barely works in the arab world, and it was not worth sending soldiers to die for people who only follow the most brutal Leader if he is just a fellow Muslim.

• Good Point x 3
  • Ill informed x 1

#33 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:23 PM

Imperialism killed a lot of people but in general these numbers are lower than what christianity, islam, fascism and communism have done, especially "at home"

Though I'm sure you can never agree...

https://www.sott.net...ction-and-theft

The number of people, who were murdered throughout history, directly or indirectly, by European empires, all over the world, can only be calculated in hundreds of millions, and one of my statistician friends believes that the total accumulative number actually exceeds 1 billion.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:29 PM

I also dont like that if we talk about the slavetrade we only mention the transatlantic slavetrade which was much smaller than the arab slavetrade and which was abolished in the 1860ies while the Arab slave trade goes on until today, it is just called differently, and inner african slavery is a thing too. Just no one cares, and i fear it is because the Perpetrators have the right skincolor...

Thank you and kudos to you for awareness that the slavery never ended. Tens of millions of economically-abused good and bad people of all ages and creeds and nationalities are caught up in modern slavery. The common thread is they're poor and exploited. You may benefit from more research before concluding that brown and black people are the contemporary "perpetrators" of this multi-billion dollar corporate industry.

Who stitched the sweater on your back, or picked the strawberries you enjoy as part of your healthy plant-based diet? It's not the case that "no one cares" as you write. Indeed people and organizations -- mostly on "the left" -- do care quite passionately about ending contemporary slavery. It is the case that contemporary slavery is a topic that few people who directly benefit from it (all of us, essentially) are willing to acknowledge. How do we end modern slavery?

So, no irony here, congratulations that you see that contemporary slavery is worse than ever; it's not just a history subject for a history class in university; it's not just an "Arabs and Africans do it" problem, either.

This web forum is about anti aging, how to extend lifespan through advancing biological repair technologies. One of the criticisms of "indefinite lifespans" we hear is that people will "become bored" with extra healthy years. I beg to differ, no one should be bored with extra health, wisdom, and years: this planet has huge problems that urgently need attention. One way to spend extra healthy years is to do good things. As the bumper sticker goes: "Think Globally, Act Locally." One cause is to help fight against the contemporary slavery market that still exists right there where you live, if it's happening right under your face, now what?
  • Ill informed x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#35 A941

• Topic Starter
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:30 PM

I also dont like that if we talk about the slavetrade we only mention the transatlantic slavetrade which was much smaller than the arab slavetrade and which was abolished in the 1860ies while the Arab slave trade goes on until today, it is just called differently, and inner african slavery is a thing too. Just no one cares, and i fear it is because the Perpetrators have the right skincolor...

Thank you and kudos to you for awareness that the slavery never ended. Tens of millions of economically-abused good and bad people of all ages and creeds and nationalities are caught up in modern slavery. The common thread is they're poor and exploited. You may benefit from more research before concluding that brown and black people are the contemporary "perpetrators" of this multi-billion dollar corporate industry.

Who stitched the sweater on your back, or picked the strawberries you enjoy as part of your healthy plant-based diet? It's not the case that "no one cares" as you write. Indeed people and organizations -- mostly on "the left" -- do care quite passionately about ending contemporary slavery. It is the case that contemporary slavery is a topic that few people who directly benefit from it (all of us, essentially) are willing to acknowledge. How do we end modern slavery?

So, no irony here, congratulations that you see that contemporary slavery is worse than ever; it's not just a history subject for a history class in university; it's not just an "Arabs and Africans do it" problem, either.

This web forum is about anti aging, how to extend lifespan through advancing biological repair technologies. One of the criticisms of "indefinite lifespans" we hear is that people will "become bored" with extra healthy years. I beg to differ, no one should be bored with extra health, wisdom, and years: this planet has huge problems that urgently need attention. One way to spend extra healthy years is to do good things. As the bumper sticker goes: "Think Globally, Act Locally." One cause is to help fight against the contemporary slavery market that still exists right there where you live, if it's happening right under your face, now what?

I agree on the life extension part (otherwise I would not be here in the first place) and I thank you for appreciating my comment.

But we have to be very accurate with the words we use.
Unfortunately slavery exists in europe too, but it is mainly sex slavery, and if the perpetrators are caught they go to jail, no one is going to look the other way.
The people who make cheap shoes and similar things are NOT Slaves. They are in a difficult economic situation and they are being exploited, but if they are paid and if they can leave their job, if they are not treated like property and if they have rights, then they are not slaves.
Of course their situation should be changed, but I dont know if it will help to force the companies there to make their clothes in country X instead of  Y, because, no matter how low their wages are you will take them away and then it will be even worse. We have to find an intelligent solution.

(I hope i got you right and you were talking about that sort of thing)

Slavery in the Arab world, and Slavery in parts of Africa is in fact real Slavery. People are treated like property and they have no rights.
Less so in, for example, the rich Gulf-States, but it is still Slavery if murder is covered up ,and people are beaten if they work to slow, they are also not paid.
What I ment with them (Slaveholders) being overlooked because of their faith and skincolor: An african Journalist once talked about that topic (should be on YT, I will search for it) he said that the africans themself demand reparations from europe etc. but not from the arabs since they are muslims and the counties in question are muslim too. The western world has a similar bias and it doesnt talk about the african kingdoms which were supplying the transatlantic slavetrade. If you read about the topic you find a ton of relativistic, apologetic texts cause people are afraid to be called racists. Just like the UK-Police which looked the other way for years while pakistani muslims were running a pedophile sexring with1400 Victims.

• Good Point x 3

#36 A941

• Topic Starter
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:40 PM

Imperialism killed a lot of people but in general these numbers are lower than what christianity, islam, fascism and communism have done, especially "at home"

Though I'm sure you can never agree...

https://www.sott.net...ction-and-theft

The number of people, who were murdered throughout history, directly or indirectly, by European empires, all over the world, can only be calculated in hundreds of millions, and one of my statistician friends believes that the total accumulative number actually exceeds 1 billion.

There is so much wrong with this article I dont even know where to start.
He exagerates and he really wants to hate the west.

Also important: Noam Chomsky is a great Linguist but otherwise he knows jackshit.

• Good Point x 2
  • Unfriendly x 1

#37 Leon93

• 72 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:03 PM

@pamojja
With all respect, you do know you are incredibly biased if you only decide to bring up african slave trade, native Americans and countless wars, when African tribes, islamic tribes, several Mesoamerican civilizations and asian civlizations all did the exact same things. All civilizations were barbaric and evil when compared to modern standards. Perhaps only Jain and Buddhist cultures to some degree were more peaceful. I have heard different things about Hindu and native Americans, so I don´t know about them.

And why bring up the Iraq war in particular? Yeah USA invaded Iraq because of warhead lies which wasn´t good. But remember that Saddam was a dictator who killed a lot of civilians himself. Can´t see western countries do the same to their people. Dont feel bad for Gaddafi as well as he was a dictator. 

And ironic how you are willing to defend radical muslims when I brought up evidence to why it is a violent religion (just google what I said and click the first link yourself). Are you aware numerous jihad battles were waged in old Spain and around the Mediterranean Sea at least 100 times more than the crusades, of which were only 15-40 battles?

Besides, western civilization also brought up many good things. It´s unbelievable, western and chinese genuises made most inventions. Then we let minorities into our countries so they could partly enjoy the luxuries our own people provided, and then they get mad and angry instead of happy just because of stuff which happened to their ancestors hundreds of years ago! That´s insane! If it hadn´t been for western and asian civilizations, those barbaric primates were still bashing each others heads upon with clubs and swords.

And how do you explain asians dilligently, silently, honestly and friendly do their job in western countries (and even earn more than whites on average!!), when other minorities are responsible for higher crime rates and lower IQ? Everyone has equal rights and equal opportunities. Asians and whites simply have higher IQ on average: https://iq-research....e-iq-by-country, which is taboo to talk about, even though it is.

IS perfectly follows their book the Quran. The book often calls for jihad, a holy war against non-believers through violence. All their sins will be swept away in an instant accordingly. Muslim cultures also deal with lots of incest, which might partly explain the lower average IQ. Islamic terrorist groups like IS, Hamas and Boko Haram aren´t made as a consequence of revenge, it´s a concept explained by their book.

Other religions preach peace, that´s why Gandhi demonstrated peacefully and why the Dalai Lama often friendly asks for the return of Tibet. Different fundamentalism (concept of their philosophy/book), different outcomes. 

Edited by Leon93, 20 December 2017 - 09:52 PM.

• Agree x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#38 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:50 AM

There is so much wrong with this article I dont even know where to start.
He exagerates and he really wants to hate the west.
Also important: Noam Chomsky is a great Linguist but otherwise he knows jackshit.

How to you know what he wants? I'm pretty sure it isn't hate. Also telling, that you have no serious counter-argument than an ad hominem attack.

@pamojja
With all respect, you do know you are incredibly biased if you only decide to bring up african slave trade, native Americans and countless wars, when African tribes, islamic tribes, several Mesoamerican civilizations and asian civlizations all did the exact same things. All civilizations were barbaric and evil when compared to modern standards. Perhaps only Jain and Buddhist cultures to some degree were more peaceful. I have heard different things about Hindu and native Americans, so I don´t know about them.

You misinterpreted why I brought up these examples. I did it to demonstrate how absurd it is to condemn a whole religion, sexual or religious orientation on account of a tiny percentage of each of them - as for example with Muslim terrorists. And hating all of them, including the vast majority of Muslims living in our country as peaceful as Austrians. In no way was it brought up for stirring self-hatred, but to view it a bit more differentiated.

Also been living for years in Buddhist Myanmar. The self-declared most staunch Buddhist was found in the Military-junta of that time. But again, the majority of people are not the same as their extreme examples. They suffer under them the same as Muslims under militant Islam.

And why bring up the Iraq war in particular? Yeah USA invaded Iraq because of warhead lies which wasn´t good. But remember that Saddam was a dictator who killed a lot of civilians himself. Can´t see western countries do the same to their people. Dont feel bad for Gaddafi as well as he was a dictator.

Because it was a more massive recent one. With huge implications, making the rise of the Islamic state possible in the first place. I don't feel bad for Gaddafi or Saddam, but I do feel sad for millions Iraqis and Libyans killed by decisions originally made in the west. Worse human loss than anything these 2 dictators could ever accomplish.

#39 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:54 AM

And ironic how you are willing to defend radical muslims when I brought up evidence to why it is a violent religion (just google what I said and click the first link yourself). Are you aware numerous jihad battles were waged in old Spain and around the Mediterranean Sea at least 100 times more than the crusades, of which were only 15-40 battles?

With all my responses I've only defended 99.9% of peaceful Muslims in this world. In my own country as well as elsewhere, as I traveled a lot and found counties with Muslims those with most hospitality (where they are still traditionally living). I'm not interested in guild accusation on account of past atrocities done in the past. All I'm insisting on is that nothing is black and white only. The're evils and troublemakers on each side, ideology or religion. Which should never be used for the condemnation of all other peaceful members of that side, orientation or religion.

Asians and whites simply have higher IQ on average: https://iq-research....e-iq-by-country,, which is taboo to talk about, even though it is.

We can talk about generalized differences in different cultural groups. But differentiated. If Asians are getting higher paid jobs in the west than westerners themselves, it's because the elite of Asians are imported. I've been many years in South-Asian countries and have to admit, am at time aghast at the lack of education there. The high IQ countries in your list are those with the highest education rate, not of those countries with the highest analphabetic rates.

What should be taboo to talk about is limiting human rights on account of race, education, religious and sexual orientation, or disabilities.

IS perfectly follows their book the Quran.

Did you ever read the old testament? In case you did, you would be as glad as me, that today nobody follows the example of this schizophrenic tribal demon described there. The majority of Christians and Muslims are more reasonable as their ancient books suggests.

#40 Leon93

• 72 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:33 PM

I didn´t misinterpreted your message as you never motivated why you said it (to ridiculize condemning entire religions). In fact, I even asked why you brought up the Iraq War in particular. I also never said ´ALL´ muslims.
This must be like the hundred time I hear a person say this. Do you guys intentionally misinterpret what I say? Next comment I will probably be called a racist, which has nowadays lost all it´s meaning anyway.

I have a few good muslim friends, but they hardly read the Quran. One of them is a cannabis-addict, another admitted he has frequented prostitutes in the past, another one seems harmless as well (though not politically), and the other one is just a normal decent person working his jobs. They do eat meat and forbid/oppose to sedating animals before killing them horrifically, which is something western countries have taken measures for (I went vegan in 2016 so I now don´t have this problem anymore).

Buddhist oppose muslims as some of them seek to dominate the world. Buddhists have to defend themselves, which they have every right in the world to. There are also problems wide-spread caused in south-east Asia by muslim groups. No country has the obligation to forcefully help another. Altruism is something voluntary one should to from the goodness of his/her heart. And it´s especially hard to be altruistic towards a religion which is so racist and xenophobic in nature. Did you know Mohammed became a warlord in his later life? Mmhhh... perhaps that is why some muslim have become so radicalized...?

And ask yourself, how much does it take to make these buddhist militant? Every religion in the world only seem to have problems with muslims. I even have a friend in India who experiences the same. She is a very friendly girl who helps animals and wouldn´t hurt a fly.

´´The're evils and troublemakers on each side, ideology or religion.´´
Yes, and muslims have way worse statistics on their side. Look this page enlist a large study which interviewed muslims in many country on certain beliefs they have: http://www.pewresear...ound-the-world/

Just to prove I know more about this issue than you do, here is a video about a muslim woman admitting islam has a huge problem of increasing radicalization: https://www.youtube....h?v=pSPvnFDDQHk. And there even are progressive imams like Mohammed Tawhidi who admit islam has huge problems. Off course, he is being condemned by his own violent people. Then there is also Majid Nawez, a former muslim who has left his religion (which is punishable by death).

And 99,9%... ha! Wow, that´s a very convenient predictible chosen number! This just proves more to me you hardly know anything about this topic. Look, you can downvote my comments as dangerous and irresponsible, but I´m the only one who keeps bringing legit numbers and statistics to the table.

Alse notice the huge difference between African muslim majority countries like Sumalia and Christian ones. And don´t forget islam countries aren´t doing jack to help the environment in climate change, as well as taking in foreign ´refugee´-seeking muslims. 1, because they are xenophobic racists, even to their own religions and 2, they are selfish a-holes who might even use this strategy to dominate Western-Europe first.

´´But differentiated. If Asians are getting higher paid jobs in the west than westerners themselves, it's because the elite of Asians are imported. I've been many years in South-Asian countries and have to admit, am at time aghast at the lack of education there. The high IQ countries in your list are those with the highest education rate, not of those countries with the highest analphabetic rates.´´
Has nothing to do with the ´elite´ being imported. I can say the exact same thing for all immigration-seekers. You need at least a decent amount of money and other securities to be able to seek immigration in another country. Notice how you said ´south-asian´ as well, the link I shared stated south-asian countries to have far lower IQ than China, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong and South-Korea.

´´What should be taboo to talk about is limiting human rights on account of race, education, religious and sexual orientation, or disabilities.´´
I agree, which is something islam gladly disagrees with.

´´Did you ever read the old testament? In case you did, you would be as glad as me, that today nobody follows the example of this schizophrenic tribal demon described there. The majority of Christians and Muslims are more reasonable as their ancient books suggests.´´
Do you know why Christians and Jews do not act the way Jahweh does? Because Jahweh often explains a ´do as a I say, not as I do´ kind of mentality. The main focus of the Bible and the Old Testament are the Ten Commandments and stopping your own sins as a ticket to get a place in heaven.

The Quran has an entirely different focus: Allah commands to wage a jihad against infidels to cleanse yourself from all your sins and get a ticket into heaven with 72 virgins.

And then about the main messias from both books: Jesus was basically a pacifist hippie while Muhammed was a raging warlord, especially later in life. He has commanded many battles himself.

Oops, left out that tiny little notification didn´t ya?! 

Edited by Leon93, 21 December 2017 - 03:00 PM.

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#41 A941

• Topic Starter
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:47 PM

@pamojja
It is not an ad hominem if I say that Chomsky doenst know anything outside Linguistics, it is just fact.
You remember, he wa sthe guy who said the muslims attack the west because "we went there", meaning we started the agression.
Actually Islam demanded protection money from the US ages before any GI set foot on their soil.
The barbary States were attacking US-Ships in the 18th century, they took 1,25 Million Slaves from raids around european waters, they came to europe in the seventh century, and they took spain and held it for 800 years, That was long before the first crusade. They also took greece, serbia, bulgaria, and only left after they were kicked out in the 19th and early 20th century. Before that they ruled with unseen brutality. Neither the french nor the british were on such a trip, and they never built a tower out of the skulls of their fallen enemies to humilate the living.

• Good Point x 3
  • Ill informed x 1

#42 OP2040

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:20 PM

This is the wrong way of thinking about it.  Political parties and social movements arise to solve the problems of their time.  The current dominant political parties and movements are in decline and transition.  The reason they are in decline is that they have largely solved the problems for which they were created.  A good example are the Social Democratic parties.  These parties dominated European politics for decades after WWII.  Now they are basically dying off because they solved the problems of economic insecurity for which they were created.  They are so irrelevant now because almost everyone is economically secure.  Even with automation, it is unlikely they will make a comeback as there is already a consensus and nothing for them to fight for.  

This is what will happen with the anti-aging movement.  It seems to me everything is coming together so that this is considered the problem of our era.  We have aging populations, demographic decline, burgeoning healthcare expenditure, rapid technological advances, and an increasing recognition that this is a problem that needs to be resolved.  These trends are literally begging for a corresponding political and social movement.  If it seems that politics is tired and boring these days, that's because it is.  There is nothing to inspire because most people haven't caught on to the next big thing..........yet.  

• Ill informed x 2

#43 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:31 PM

The way I see it, if we don't get Bernie Sanders elected President and get his agenda in place the future of life extension will just become bleaker and bleaker. We absolutely must have the Green New Deal, Medicare for all, college for all, and an end to corruption and money in politics. In a fully functioning democratic socialist society, the public could set the agenda for life extension research that benefits us all. Big business has no real interest in life extension and health - except for a privileged few. They're more interested in big profits for a small minority of shareholders and exploiting the masses with addictive and life threatening products. They prefer us blind, crippled and crazy as much as possible.

https://berniesanders.com/issues/

• Needs references x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#44 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2019 - 08:35 PM

Andrew Yang is much more interested in extending in health and lifespan than any other candidate. He also wants to match or exceed the funding in artificial intelligence that China is putting in.

Andrew understands technology and how it's going to impact lives. Bernie is mostly stuck in the past... maybe great 10-15 years ago, but not today.

Highly recommend checking out some of his long-form interviews.

He's also the only one who can beat Trump. He has 10% or more of Trump voters saying that they would vote for him if he were the nominee.

Edited by Matt, 29 September 2019 - 08:40 PM.

#45 salyavin

• 31 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 02:33 AM

I like Yang but I am not sure he is the only one who can beat Trump.  Lots of people like to say only this or that candidate can beat Trump, you cannot all be correct.  That said I expect the Democrats to go out of their way to again select a candidate that cannot beat Trump.  Do not take that as a message to give up by all means do ones best. I agree he seems transhumanist friendly as well.

Edited by salyavin, 30 September 2019 - 02:54 AM.

#46 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 08:26 PM

I got to go with Bernie Sanders because he has the most political experience and has been consistent with his agenda - more so than any of the other candidates. I can see where it's highly likely that he's following The Revolution of Hope:Toward A Humanized Technology plan of Erich Fromm, a democratic socialist and social philosopher. It's clearly more important to pursue the Green New Deal, medicare for all, getting money out of politics, social justice and equality, etc., before pursuing AI research that's taking us more and more into a dystopian scenario. Many are speaking out against these god building ideas of computer scientists. Elon Musk and the lady who quit at Google for recent examples.  Even Erich Fromm, who I consider to be a great thinker, spoke out against these ideas way back in the late 1960s seeing them as signs of human pathology. People really need to read his book The Revolution of Hope. 

pp 44-45

https://imgur.com/GYRvDCA

pp 46-47

https://imgur.com/3gOokFX

pp 32-33

https://imgur.com/J8HpNGk

pp 34-35

https://imgur.com/ZfkiKsx

pp 40-41

https://imgur.com/R3gNJ5t

copyright and contents

https://imgur.com/88Q3EaP

p 1

https://imgur.com/ohwEUDO

pp 2-3

https://imgur.com/IspQ01T

• like x 1

#47 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:47 PM

Here is what liberalism is doing. 245 innocent people were killed by drivers using legalized pot in one year in my one state that I reside in. People using flavored nicotine killed exactly 0 people. Flavored nicotine will not get you prison time in my state. Flavored pot that appeals to children is 100% legal. 

Multiply 245 by the the other states with legal pot and adjust for population differences. That is THOUSANDS of innocent people killed each year by people using legal pot that was legalized by liberals. 

A few dozen people are killed periodically by a nut with a weapon. Liberals wants to take away the weapons from the entire country that kill dozens of innocents and but leave the pot that kills thousands.

Liberals are causing more pollution with windmills than they are saving because it takes more carbon to produce a windmill than the windmill produces. Plus they are killing 10s of thousands of birds including birds on the endangered species lists. Plus they are ruining the natural countryside by cutting down trees to put in roads and build thousands of these symbols of ignorance not to mention all the concrete that has to be poured further ruining the countryside plus the electrical cables that further ruin the countryside.

Liberals don't understand that we are in an interglacial period... a time between ice ages. They don't understand all the ice in the world was at one time liquid water. They don't understand that all the carbon in the ground was originally in the atmosphere. They don't understand that the carbon being released isn't the cause of climate change.  It's a fallacy to be believe that the climate would be in a  state of homeostasis if it were not for humans. The natural history of the earth is ripe with climate change for it has never been stagnant. It has been both hotter an colder in earth's recent history.

• Disagree x 2
  • Good Point x 2
  • dislike x 1

#48 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:45 PM

Not gonna waste too much effort on this one, but anyway...

Here is what liberalism is doing. 245 innocent people were killed by drivers using legalized pot in one year in my one state that I reside in.

I couldn’t find data validating your claim that MJ caused the deaths of 245 innocent people. Got a link? Genuinely interested in that one — it’s been so politicized here where I live, which is hippie ass liberal Oregon. You in Colorado?

I found one study for an estimated 75 MJ traffic related fatalities in Canada: https://www.ncbi.nlm...ubmed/28273616/

This site is illuminating : https://www.drugtrea...s-drug-alcohol/

Obviously any death of an innocent person due to any reason at all is a terrible tragedy — regardless of political persuasion — and many of us have suffered the deaths of friends and loved ones due to drunk drivers and drivers impaired by prescription meds. My cousin... many friends....

Sensible drivers know that driving under the influence of anything is foolish, why should intoxication from cannabis be any different? Curious to see those cannabis numbers, though, and I’ll keep looking, too.

A few dozen people are killed periodically by a nut with a weapon. Liberals wants to take away the weapons from the entire country that kill dozens of innocents and but leave the pot that kills thousands.

“About 1.4 million people have died from firearms in the U.S. between 1968 and 2011. This number includes all deaths resulting from a firearm, including suicides, homicides, and accidents.”

https://www.bbc.com/...canada-34996604

Liberals are causing more pollution with windmills than they are saving because it takes more carbon to produce a windmill than the windmill produces. Plus they are killing 10s of thousands of birds including birds on the endangered species lists.

“...Wind turbines kill an estimated 140,000 to 328,000 birds each year in North America, making it the most threatening form of green energy....”

https://www.audubon....r-be-safe-birds

This one hits home, too: I worked on a project documenting the negative impacts of windmills on songbird migration paths in the American Southwest. Deaths of neotropical migrants, and endangered species, like golden eagles due to windmills are terrible; the birds simply haven’t evolved to avoid them. Kinda like the North Atlantic Right Whale story — worked on that one too — slow-moving, mostly surface-dwelling baleen whales simply cannot avoid slow-moving ships — mostly cargo ships and Navy ships — they haven’t evolved defense to get out of way. But marine biologists and ornithologists are well-aware of the probs involving weird man-made stuff like big ships and windmills and their impacts on wildlife. But I’m guessing most of us who’ve actually studied these and provided you with data for your arguments are us hippie ass wildlife biologists in the field — we budding scientists and scientists are your hated liberals lol

Liberals don't understand that we are in an interglacial period... a time between ice ages. They don't understand all the ice in the world was at one time liquid water. They don't understand that all the carbon in the ground was originally in the atmosphere. They don't understand that the carbon being released isn't the cause of climate change. It's a fallacy to be believe that the climate would be in a state of homeostasis if it were not for humans. The natural history of the earth is ripe with climate change for it has never been stagnant. It has been both hotter an colder in earth's recent history.

“...the vast majority of actively publishing climate scientists – 97 percent – agree that humans are causing global warming and climate change.”

https://climate.nasa...climate-change/

What the political persuasion is of climatologists I don’t know. But I’m done arguing climate change with idiots — Mother Nature is solving the problem, watch as it intensifies in the coming years. Millions of humans are gonna die — planet earth will be just fine — but have I mentioned mass extinctions of species and ecosystems already underway? I’m sure you don’t care — until your food base is cut out from you. Speaking of which, I wonder if you’re gonna politicize colony collapse disorder, too?

Edited by sthira, 03 October 2019 - 09:49 PM.

• Well Written x 2
  • like x 2

#49 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:34 PM

Liberals don't understand that we are in an interglacial period... a time between ice ages.

That's even the most scary but most likely on a larger scale event, after this generation already long gone. All the countless atomic power plants still polluting with deathly radiation reappering under the melting ice. With all the technology to mediate long gone. As have those of countless civilisations before us.

• Needs references x 1
  • like x 1

#50 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:50 AM

The way I understand it from the articles below is they can't tell whether cannabis is actually responsible for auto accidents. Being that THC remains in your system for a long period after one's been high, a person can test positive for THC after being involved in an auto crash but not been high at the time of the incident. So, you can get a lot people testing positive for THC after crashes where THC intoxication had no role whatsoever in the accident. I haven't been high on cannabis or other drugs - including alcohol - since my youth back in the 1970s, but from my memory of things you could easily drive safely stoned on cannabis if you were an experienced user. I'm told it's the same today even though the cannabis is more potent. It's alcohol and other drugs that cause the problem in my opinion. I would much rather face the guy on cannabis than the one on alcohol or other drugs while driving.

And, another thing, you shouldn't hate on cannabis and LSD - those hippie drugs if you like your personal computer. Notice the last paragraph of Hippies Won the Culture War, at https://historynewsn.../article/160407.

Mixed findings on Colorado marijuana, traffic deaths

https://gazette.com/...b5312abb33.html

Drugged Driving Deaths Spike With Spread of Legal Marijuana, Opioid Abuse

https://www.pewtrust...na-opioid-abuse

• WellResearched x 1

#51 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:37 PM

Hello, people!

Sorry for the stupid questions, but

who are the progressive left? And what are their political views? I am mostly curious about their views on the healthcare and the scientific progress in the biomedicine.

I think, that you have to view their political views strictly on the direction at what degree they may speed up or slow down the point at which you may become immortal or super long living individual, and from the point will they make it accessible for you.

Usually the left wing political parties defend the cheap or the free medical care. I heard recently, that even the free medical care in Great Britain has been a gain, provided thanks to their left wing. I don't know if this is true or not. Maybe someone may find some references on that.

In my opinion the medicine and the health care are very important for the life expectancy and the life extension in the future, if we manage to reach that moment. So I think, the ones who give you the access to the medicine of the future is on your side. If you expect that the super therapies will arrive after 20-30 years, bring the lefts to power after these 20-30 years to make them accessible for you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: science, progressive left, left

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users