Strong Insomnia causing many other mental issues

insomnia depression moodswings overthinking

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nedormi

• 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:46 PM

Hello!

Actually I write this topic in order to somehow gain some knowledge or tips about fighting insomnia. I pretty much researched lots of sources about it, tried lots of things and.... no success. I never wanted to look for help in forums, but I feel like it is getting worse and makes me really tired with this kind of life. I feel like this topic would help me a lot, because of the direct approach into my specific case - which may be kinda generic, but still I am looking for specific solutions from you guys - some of you have huge knowledge in this field.

I used to struggle with insomnia some time in the past, but it wasn't that bad like now. My sleep was decent quality and I could function pretty normal. I would normally fell asleep after alcohol consumption - almost instantly (right now it makes insomnia much worse),  pretty much I could fall asleep after getting my tasks done if I wanted to etc,etc just like every healthy person.

My problem started gradually couple months ago and it's getting worse and worse. I go to bed, close my eyes and nothing. I can stay like this for 8 hours straight with full conciousness, brain on 100% power mode and racing thoughts. Meditation doesn't help at all, relaxing music too, all these herbs like lemon balm - nothing, I can cut all stimulants for half a day before bed and pretty much it's the same, I can go to gym workout for an hour, then stay in sauna for like 15 minutes, then go into bathtub with bathsalt to get relaxed and still get horribly anxious when trying to sleep even though my body is extremely exhausted.

Of course these insomnia attacks are not everyday, I sometimes manage to get 7/8 hours of sleep when I totally exhaust my system -  after waking up I feel really bad for the first couple hours (really low quality sleep I guess), then after sleeping "well" I can't sleep at all the upcoming night.

I am aware that insomnia may be caused by stress, my overthinking, problems in relationships, studies, work etc. I do have quite lots of "PTSD" moments in some cases and stressful situations in life which I can't avoid. Now every bad situation in life = no sleep for specific night at all.

Funny enough people do see me as mentally strong (I used to believed that too) - but honestly, due to this huge lacks of sleep I feel like I am burning out really bad and heading into bad direction. I started to slowly have lots of manic moments, moodswings, develop some kind of depression. My mind is huge overthinker, I can't just stop thinking and chill recently.

Things I tried for sleep:

- Phenibut - actually it helped me a lot at first, but did more harm than good to be honest. Withdrawal was awful and made me really depressed for more than week.

- Weed - It helps me sleep, I never abused it or anything. I just noticed that it makes me actually sleepy and I sleep well when I do have ocassion to smoke. Anyways I don't want use it as my main source of help for obvious reasons.

- Lemon Balm and other herbs - they do literally nothing in my case

- Meditation - I love it, but still doesn't help.

- Doing all kinds of stuff to get me totally relaxed (sex, sauna, jacuzzi etc,etc) - they don't help.

- Cutting stimulants  such as nicotine and caffeine - no big difference to be honest.

Please share some knowledge with me. I think that every piece of information would be crucial. I would love to somehow fix this and live without the feeling that everything is going downhill. Thanks for reading! :)

Edited by Nedormi, 04 January 2018 - 03:48 PM.

#2 hydrus

• 98 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:40 PM

I have had some moderate insomnia problems for many years on and off and some briefs periods of severe insomnia. In the latter cases I had to resort to prescription drugs because nothing else had worked.

Z-drugs like Ambien work fairly well for me but they do lead to cognitive impairments the next day, can have problematic side effects in some people and are addictive.

I have used B6 to help me relax at night and fall asleep but it works only when the insomnia is mild. Tryptophan is better but still not enough when the insomnia is bad.

CBD oil acts as a sedative and I take it for other reasons but it is potent enough to put me to sleep in most cases when dosed properly.

I try to start with natural remedies and resort to prescription drugs as infrequently as possible and only when the insomnia gets really bad for several days.

Edited by hydrus, 04 January 2018 - 06:41 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:46 AM

10 mg immediate release Ambien.  Not the extended release.  Accept no substitutes.  The immediate release is best for sleep-onset insomnia and is out of your system before you wake up (assuming you get at least 6-7 hours of sleep).  The extended should only be for people who have trouble staying asleep and is the one that will leave you a lil fucked up in the morning.

I can't help you because I'm on this indefinitely and I'm 35.  Tried everything, and doctors went through everything before they stopped trying to get me on something else.

Only side effect I've had from being on it for several years: slightly improved memory of negative events

No "hangover" the next day, it's the only one that lets me pop right out of bed as if I took nothing the night before, and the only one that works every night

You literally cannot get addicted to it unless you're taking it during the day for fun or taking it beyond prescribed doses and forcing yourself to stay awake for the fun.  Addiction is not the same thing as dependence (the reason why we have to wean off of all psychiatric drugs) 

Edited by Duchykins, 05 January 2018 - 06:54 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: insomnia, depression, moodswings, overthinking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users