mirna aging

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RWhigham

• 509 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:39 AM

Brain cells found to control aging

It is known from Heterochronic Parabiosis that something in the younger rat's blood can rejuvenate an older rat via the shared blood supply. There have been several candidates found in young blood and proposed as the magic rejuvenation bullet, but none have panned out. Transfusions of young plasma also do not seem as promising as once thought - likely a more continuous source of rejuvenation factors is required. 

If I understand correctly the above article shows that a large variety of miRNA are released from the hypothalamus gland. This cocktail of miRNA selectively switches on and off thousands of genes, A young hypothalamus gland releases a miRNA cocktail that produces a strong young body. As the hypothalamus gland ages it shifts the cocktail of miRNA to produce aging and death. (Programmed aging).  So there is not one magic bullet but a plethora of miRNA.

It would be a daunting but not impossible task to identify and synthesize the entire cocktail of miRNA required to produce a strong young body, but it might also be necessary to have a fairly continuous delivery system in order to maintain youth.

It seems to me an easier approach is figuring out how to rejuvenate the hypothalamus gland, and then let it supply all the miRNA required to rejuvenate the rest of the body.

Edited by RWhigham, 12 January 2018 - 06:13 AM.

• like x 2
  • Informative x 1

#2 HaplogroupW

• 101 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:25 AM

This discusses the use of exosomes for delivering miRNA vs cell therapy:

http://www.mdpi.com/...7/18/6/1190/htm

Click on table 1 to show a list of companies offering various exosome products, or developing their own products.

• WellResearched x 1

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 HighDesertWizard

• 830 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:48 PM

I gotta say...

That study article abstract is among the most useless or misleading I've ever seen... It neglects to mention the biological molecule that enables the hypothalmic slowing of aging to actually occur...

It's Ik-Ba... An inhibitor of NF-kB translocation to a cell nucleus...

Wow! NF-kB... Who knew?

Here's a pic of a page from the study...

IbIEe8A.jpg

The study page snapshot below is from a 2016 study with the title highlighted in yellow...

r8UP8uT.png

Edited by HighDesertWizard, 12 January 2018 - 01:55 PM.

• unsure x 1
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 RWhigham

• Topic Starter
  • 509 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

Source Paper in Nature: Hypothalamic stem cells control ageing speed partly through exosomal miRNAs  (Behind paywall, I have not seen it)

An expert Review: Review of Nature paper: stem cell exosomes on the brain and aging This review agrees with the article from the 1st post.

HighDesertWizard Critique: "That study article abstract is among the most useless or misleading I've ever seen... It neglects to mention the biological molecule that enables the hypothalmic slowing of aging to actually occur." Your critique seems based on your prior mind set from NF-κB signaling as a driver of ageing. (also behind a paywall).  I believe the Nature page you have shown is about how the authors got around rejection of hypothalamus stem cells for their study. The lifespan extension shown (also shown in the expert review) they attribute to miRNA exosomes produced by the stem cell transplants - per the review (I'm just a curious layperson here)

Edited by RWhigham, 12 January 2018 - 05:57 PM.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Informative x 1

#5 HighDesertWizard

• 830 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:25 AM

Source Paper in Nature: Hypothalamic stem cells control ageing speed partly through exosomal miRNAs  (Behind paywall, I have not seen it)

An expert Review: Review of Nature paper: stem cell exosomes on the brain and aging This review agrees with the article from the 1st post.

HighDesertWizard Critique: "That study article abstract is among the most useless or misleading I've ever seen... It neglects to mention the biological molecule that enables the hypothalmic slowing of aging to actually occur." Your critique seems based on your prior mind set from NF-κB signaling as a driver of ageing. (also behind a paywall).  I believe the Nature page you have shown is about how the authors got around rejection of hypothalamus stem cells for their study. The lifespan extension shown (also shown in the expert review) they attribute to miRNA exosomes produced by the stem cell transplants - per the review (I'm just a curious layperson here)

Thank you for the reply RWhigham...

Actually, your reply is, itself, evidence supporting my criticism of the study abstract...

The details matter always. Let's look at them...

1. I wrote: "That study article abstract is among the most useless or misleading I've ever seen".

I didn't say the study was useless. In fact, it demonstrated that NF-kB Inhibition was THE DIFFERENCE between a Stem Cell intervention that slowed aging and one that did not. (Details noted in #2 below.)

The Abstract is misleading because it neglects to mention THAT key finding documented in the full study text in detail. At least, not in enough detail that you noticed what it did say...

-- > "ageing retardation and lifespan extension were achieved in mid-aged mice that were locally implanted with healthy hypothalamic stem/progenitor cells that had been genetically engineered to survive in the ageing-related hypothalamic inflammatory microenvironment."

-- NF-kB Inflammatory Cytokine Trascription Inhibition in htNSC was a requirement to achieve survival benefit in the study animals in this study. It was as key an Enabler of the survival benefit result as was the miRNA exosome finding.

2. The full text study experiments speak for themselves.

a... Sure... signaling within the Hypothalamus that improved survival odds apparently took place via miRNA exosomes. And this finding was reported in the abstract.

And reporting of this finding in the abstract was reported in this forum thread's OP, in the "Expert" Review, and by you...

b... But the only approach reported of htNSC injection that actually improved survival odds (via miRNA Exosomes) required filtering for htNSCs that "were resilient to NF-kB mediated inflammation".

But this very significant 2nd finding was not reported in detail in the abstract, even though it did appear in the study summary linked to in the OP, and it did appear in the Expert Review. But, RWhigham, you didn't appear to be acquainted with the 2nd key full text study finding before you suggested that my highlighting the fact of its importance mght be due to some recent triviality I had just read...

It's funny. I don't mind. I make mistakes, so I appreciate feedback.

Thanks.

:)

From page 3 of the full study text... My notes and highlighting...

1UxhKO1.jpg

Edited by HighDesertWizard, 15 January 2018 - 03:37 AM.

• Good Point x 1

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 HighDesertWizard

• 830 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:31 AM

BTW... I discussed this study in a forum thread about NF-kB and survival probability back in July of last year here.

Edited by HighDesertWizard, 15 January 2018 - 03:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users