• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How fast does resveratrol shorten telomeres?

p53

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 YOLF

• 8,071 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:14 AM

So resveratrol is a broad spectrum p53 activator and shortens all telomeres? Is that a correct assumption?

So how fast does it do this exactly? What percent of HeLa would a strong resveratrol halt during a given time? Perhaps there is another metric?

• Needs references x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#2 HaplogroupW

• 85 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:12 AM

where do you get that idea

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,071 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:25 PM

I don't know where I get it. I'm just throwing out a generalization to see how it gets corrected b/c it's as good a vector for learning things as any other.

Most important is the title of the topic.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • Off-Topic x 1

#4 Supierce

• 91 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:39 PM

where do you get that idea

Just google resveratrol P53. It's why high-dose resveratrol is used by many people for cancer.

#5 HaplogroupW

• 85 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:39 AM

OK well having had a superficial glance, the p53 interaction suggests it can be a pro-apoptic (senolytic candidate?). Didn't see anything there about its effect on telomeres, but didn't spend much time.

The stuff I've seen in the literature usually describes it as a telomerase promoter. E.g. this review:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4962009/

Resveratrol activates telomerase in mammary epithelial [94] and endothelial progenitor cells [95], most likely due to the upregulation of SIRT1 [96].

And there was this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5645932/

that showed impressively longer telomeres relative to untreated control in vitro. And which we were recently discussing in this thread:

http://www.longecity...very-on-ageing/

Do you have refs suggesting it shortens telomeres?

Edited by HaplogroupW, 31 January 2018 - 02:52 AM.

#6 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,071 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:44 AM

My research on resveratrol is dated apparently and mostly involves all of the cancer studies where it activated the p53 gene to shorten telomeres. But I guess it's either more like apigenin where it selectively eliminates cells with the shortest telomeres preventing them from affecting average telo length, or it actually does promote telomere lengthening.

But it's definitely not time wasting or pointless, I have applications.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 maxwatt

• Member, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,911 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:26 PM

Many things affect P53, it's not unique to resveratrol.  But resveratrol does seem to have an inverted U-shaped dose-response curve,  Large doses will have opposite effects to low doses.  I would consider 400 m/g and up to be a large dose.  As far as the effects of athletic performance and endurance, as a Ppar alpha and gamma modulator, it should enhance things.  The dose makes the effect?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: p53

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users